Gentlemen - tomorrow is my maiden voyage - wish me luck plz!!!

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
I passed my motorcycle test last weekend. Got my license upgraded to include M, and now I'm ready to roll. Booked a motorcycle on riders-share.com yesterday, and after work tomorrow I'm going to pick up the motorcycle about 30 miles from my house and drive it home with my significant other and the kid following me in the car. That's a looooong way to ride on my maiden voyage, but I did map it all out and I can stay off the highway the whole time. But this will be the ultimate trial by fire - if things go wrong I didn't try and fail, I tried and DIED.

I'd appreciate it if you'd wish me luck. If I don't make it back, I just want you guys to know that I appreciate each and every one of you and how you've all helped me over the years. If I ever said anything that sounded mean to any of you, my apologies, I was just joking around.

Anyways, if I make it back alive I'll post about my voyage, its trials, and how I overcame the adversity here tomorrow evening. For now, wish me luck!!!

Reactions: nisryus and lxskllr

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I would not recommend riding with a passenger until you have at least a year of riding experience. A bike will handle a lot differently with a passenger on it and as a new rider you will be putting you and your passenger in much greater danger by riding two up on an unfamiliar bike with basically zero riding experience.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
I would not recommend riding with a passenger until you have at least a year of riding experience. A bike will handle a lot differently with a passenger on it and as a new rider you will be putting you and your passenger in much greater danger by riding two up on an unfamiliar bike with basically zero riding experience.

The fuk? Can you read homie? Significant other and her kid are following me in the car. I'm riding by myself. I'm risking my life, and my life only!!!

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Should we be anticipating an "omg this road-rash is killing me guys" thread tomorrow evening?

I GOT THIS bro. See you tomorrow night when I report back! It will be Miller Time for everyone on ATOT!!!! We gonna party like its 1999!!!!!

Reactions: Captante

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Make sure you are an organ donor. Unrelated but don't wear a helmet, it will just mess up your hair.

Reactions: zinfamous

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Best of luck mon frere. Remember, motorcycles tend to be invisible to other motorists, so always think ahead of what is the worst that could happen in the next few seconds and be ready. You will hopefully wrong the first 999 times but on that next one, it will save your life.

Truly, best of luck.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Best of luck mon frere. Remember, motorcycles tend to be invisible to other motorists, so always think ahead of what is the worst that could happen in the next few seconds and be ready. You will hopefully wrong the first 999 times but on that next one, it will save your life.

Truly, best of luck.

Thank you sir!!!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I passed my motorcycle test last weekend. Got my license upgraded to include M, and now I'm ready to roll.
But this will be the ultimate trial by fire - if things go wrong I didn't try and fail, I tried and DIED.
can i has your stuff?

Reactions: BudAshes

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001

Truly, best of luck.

Thank you sir!

• Love
Reactions: Charmonium

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
All jokes aside do be careful on that thing. It's not just your own abilities you have to worry about, it's all the other drivers around. Assume everyone of them is trying to kill you.

Yep yep, they are all crazy psyco murderers! Thanks!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Don't forget about Humpty-Dumpty .... wear your FULL-FACE helmet every single time you get on the bike to do more then roll it into the garage.

I went down in the rain at about 20 mph and the back of my head hit the asphalt so hard I would have been a vegetable if not for my helmet.

Instead my biggest concern was the bent foot-peg and busted signal-lamp. (also had to replace the helmet)

EDIT: Also one of my daughters friends dad's was killed "just taking a ride around the block" right in his neighborhood when he slid on sand and hit his head on a curb at less then 10 MPH!

Helmet would have been hot and uncomfortable though! :oops:

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
We have a winner!

My Dad was a passenger on motorcycle with a new driver on a new bike. His friend drove too fast, couldn't turn since it handled differently, and my Dad woke up in a hospital. 50 years later he still can't bend one knee more than a few degrees, has massive scars all along his legs, metal pins in his legs, and when he went for a knee surgery in his 70s his whole bottom leg bone shattered since it never healed correctly.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
The fuk? Can you read homie? Significant other and her kid are following me in the car. I'm riding by myself. I'm risking my life, and my life only!!!
When someone gives you great advice, just read it and heed it. Of course he knows you are riding by yourself on the first ride. He mentioned to keep that up for all rides in the next year.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
next year.

At ABSOLUTE minimum. :oops:

Really until your riding skills have advanced to the point that you can reflexively counter-steer, your life is hanging by a thread at all times riding a bike on public roads, even if riding by yourself.