Question Genoa builders thread.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
@Markfw Just got the Heatsink.

And now I feel like an idiot. I was so focused on buying the biggest heatsink possible. But my case is a server case with front to back airflow... this heatsink is for bottom to top. I'm so used to AIO coolers that I forgot to check this.

Now I'm wondering what to do. This heatsink was meant to be temporary anyway, before better solutions come up. Should I use it anyway, as is, or should I buy the other one like this https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005...yZEd&_randl_shipto=CA&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
Where did you get that dual 120 mm fan hsf ? The only place Ai found it was alibaba.com and I still don't have that one, and probably never will. They say delivery failed due to not having a 9 digit zipcode, and will not refund my purchase price or reship.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Where did you get that dual 120 mm fan hsf ? The only place Ai found it was alibaba.com and I still don't have that one, and probably never will. They say delivery failed due to not having a 9 digit zipcode, and will not refund my purchase price or reship.
You have a 9 digit zip code. Every one does. Bing out the usps website for zip code finding. Enter your home address under the option to search by address. Click enter or find zip code at the bottom and it'll sput out a result with the 4 extra keys to your zip code.

i found this out myself the hardway after arguing with wally world and the us ps several years back about a series of packages they couldn't deliver. most people have never seen those extra 4 numbers but the post office would be happy if people used it in addition to their 5 digit post code.

your situation sucks but can you do a charge back on your cc?

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
You have a 9 digit zip code. Every one does. Bing out the usps website for zip code finding. Enter your home address under the option to search by address. Click enter or find zip code at the bottom and it'll sput out a result with the 4 extra keys to your zip code.

i found this out myself the hardway after arguing with wally world and the us ps several years back about a series of packages they couldn't deliver. most people have never seen those extra 4 numbers but the post office would be happy if people used it in addition to their 5 digit post code.

your situation sucks but can you do a charge back on your cc?
I told them that I was contesting the charges, since they admitting not delivering it, but they flat out refused. The next day, they closed the case as refused since they said I am getting it back from the cc. Scumbag company IMO. I have mail delivered everyday without the 9 digit zip code.

Reactions: A///

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Oh, and BTW, my new 64 core Genoa is her, and the motherboard and memory.... But becuase of the scumbag Alibaba company, I have to use the jet engine HSF until Noctua comes out with the SP5 HSF's for the workstations !

Attachments

• 20230511_110932[1].jpg
    20230511_110932[1].jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 51
Jul 27, 2020
I have to use the jet engine HSF until Noctua comes out with the SP5 HSF's for the workstations !
How about this? https://aerocooler.com/dynatron-l32-all-in-one-1u-server-amd-socket-sp5-liquid-cooler/

This looks crazy: https://aerocooler.com/dynatron-j10-amd-genoa-socket-sp5-2u-active-cpu-cooler/

Passive one! https://aerocooler.com/dynatron-j2-amd-genoa-socket-sp5-1u-passive-cpu-cooler/ :eek:

I wonder if the CPU gets stuck with all cores at 1 GHz with a passive cooler :D

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
In a 1u server that have a whole row of 40mm fans at 10,000 LOUD ! You firs sample LOUD
You second sample, jet engine. and 3rd ? fane if I ha fans forcing air over at at high volume. he only real answer is Noctua workstation HSF's just like the NH-14U sp3 that I have 12 of. but for SP5.

Reactions: lightmanek

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I told them that I was contesting the charges, since they admitting not delivering it, but they flat out refused. The next day, they closed the case as refused since they said I am getting it back from the cc. Scumbag company IMO. I have mail delivered everyday without the 9 digit zip code.
if the creditor gives you lip show them the correspondence you've had. I've ordered radio transmitters from alibaba before and never got those issues but they're a general marketplace. difficult to tell who's good and who isn't about deliveries.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
if the creditor gives you lip show them the correspondence you've had. I've ordered radio transmitters from alibaba before and never got those issues but they're a general marketplace. difficult to tell who's good and who isn't about deliveries.
They flat out admitted I did not have the product and would never get it, and still refused a refund. THAT IS A SCAMMER SELLER that would never be tolerated in the US. Still fighting with my CC provider to get my money, and it may be 2 months they said today, even if the refund was approved.

ALIBABA IS A SCAMMER. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AND TELL EVERYBODY ELSE NOT TO.

Reactions: phonitor

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
im not sure I would trust the image given there as the supermicro heatsink matrix shows that model is actively cooled.
Probably not what you are looking for, but figured i throw it out there.

SNK-P0084AP4H13 AMD EPYC™ 9004 Series CPU Heat Sink
  • Socket SP5
  • AMD EPYC™ 9004 Series Processors
  • Screws
  • Springs
50004311892.6126H13 AMD EPYC™ 9004 Series 4U Servers and Workstations

EDIT: its specs are very similar to that Coolserver heatsink you listed earlier. Probably the same one. LOL

vityan666

Apr 12, 2023
Hey ppl.
Long time passed as my RAM was stuck @customs and I was also waiting for the CPU longer - The CPU was the last part of the puzzle, but was worth it, via local store/supplier with warranty.

While my original PCI-E cards composition plans had failed(As 2.5 desktop slots are 3 server slots due to standard clearance between slots on server MB), GPU is again in the top slot, leaving me only 2 extra slots, which I've used for my RAID card and USB controller.
I've forced to remove my Intel X710 dual port NIC, but its fine - The built-on Broadcoms doing well and Hyper-V V-Switch was easy to reconfigure to use them.
The BBU for RAID card is located after the USB card in the area not occupied by MB - SO the case just "holds it".
The extra cooler for a raid card v-mounted here, instead of being under the RAID card, due to lack of space, and was later removed(The picture is before removal) due to motor noice of central fan.

I've bough the Seasonic TX-1600 PSU at the end and built the system with it(After testing it with a tester from AliExpress xD).
I have plenty of USB ports for my needs(PCI-E card 5 ports + 4 built-in + 2 front + [1->4] hub for devices not using much power and needing much bandwidth(USB DVD Writer, WD Elements HDD with own Power Supply, APC UPS USB mgmt port))

Memory bandwidth during memtest with 6 channels was 46G/s, while my Ryzen 3900X had "only" 12G/s.

Installation was painfull, especially finding the T20 torch of sufficient length to mount the CPU(With shorter ones the radiator cut my fingers, forcing taking means to avoid blood spilling on the mobo), and didn't allow to put enough force to close some of the torches.
Making one of sufficient length from multiple unrelated parts in the house I've managed to complete the installation.
The CPU and RAM booted just fine during the first start and the only problem I have to solve is setting up fan thresholds via ipmitool, as it constantly ramps-up, then slows-down the CPU heatsink fans. Funny thing is then it slows down those fans it become quite silent.
Extra discounted RAM modules are on "backorder" but I don't care about them currrently.

3DMark gave me the "Mystery Machine" achievement - Looks like no one plays on Epycs :)

jonperron09

this heatsink is for bottom to top.
I had the same concern as right to left is the best in my cooling setup, but due to form of the SP5 socket(Not a square) it can't be rotated 90d, as I ended with "bottom to top" configuration,
which also fits weel as I've had exhaust from my AIO radiator on top before and it has good clearance from bottom(Due top DIMMS) to suck the air coming horizontally from the right, before it gets exhaused on the left.

Markfw

They say delivery failed due to not having a 9 digit zipcode, and will not refund my purchase price or reship.
Ouchhh, hell.... Was it the same seller I bought from?

Attachments

• 20230512_175804_epyc.jpg
    20230512_175804_epyc.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I am using the one that I found you linked on the 9654 96 core, and temps have not been over 74. The one I wanted is bigger, and from alibaba.com. not aliexpress.com I got burned by alibaba.com, but am using the other one for now.

Edit. But I just looked at the picture above and thats the one I got burned on. That was alibaba.com

vityan666

Apr 12, 2023
I've reduced the thresholds using ipmitool ... sensor thresh FAN* lcr 200
for FAN3,FAN4 and FANA, which reduced em to actual 140. Those all are 120mm case fans.
The system stopped ramping-up|down the main 120mm CPU fans on FAN1-FAN2 after I've reduced the threshold for case fans.
Now the system is quite silent on idle.

I didn't mentioned two extra things before:
1) My deadly coil whine of 7900XTX coupled with Areca RAID is not present in the EPYC build. May-be it was just a PSU(Corsair AX100 beforehand)+VGA+RAID combo, which had it, dunno.
2) My new Micron 9400 SSD is mounted into the case but still not connected - The cable I've ordered has small MCIO connector(38p - I think its the "MCIO 4"), while Supermicro ports are probably "MCIO 8", but I'm not 100% sure and broke my head googling it - Its incredibly hard to find cables for any of those MCIO connectors. Why Supermicro? Why you just didn't put U.3 ports directly? Oculink,MCIO,... They invent the wheel every year from scratch... Btw. SlimSAS is the same shit but now have at least some cabling available...

Markfw

But I just looked at the picture above and thats the one I got burned on. That was alibaba.com
Yep. I bough from AliBaba and only one seller had it, so I think its probably the same one.
However, then I ordered it took them 2-3 weeks to just send it... So, maybe there is still some hope your one will arrive later?
It's just the only place there I, personally found it. Dunno if contacting the chineese 'Coolserver' directly will be any easier.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I wanted to compare my single socket 9654 to a dual socket NEW dual Intel Xeon Max 9480. First the Intel link:

Now the SINGLE socket stock Genoa 9654

Its demolishes it. How can Intel keep producing this crap ???? 45k for Intel DUAL 112 cores and 70k for AMD 96 cores single socket. (slightly rounded numbers.)

And 700 watts vs 320 watts ????

Last edited:

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
I wanted to compare my single socket 9654 to a dual socket NEW dual Intel Xeon Max 9480. First the Intel link:

Now the SINGLE socket stock Genoa 9654

Its demolishes it. How can Intel keep producing this crap ???? 45k for Intel DUAL 112 cores and 70k for AMD 96 cores single socket. (slightly rounded numbers.)

And 700 watts vs 320 watts ????
If you raise the TDP to 400 you would score in the 90,000 range.

The WR is held by a pair of 9554(64 core 400 W each) over 110,000 points

Screenshot_20230520-110414_Chrome.jpg

Markfw

May 16, 2002
If you raise the TDP to 400 you would score in the 90,000 range.

The WR is held by a pair of 9554(64 core 400 W each) over 110,000 points

View attachment 80863

I have a 9554 also. The problem is that a dual-socket motherboard is over 2.5 times as much as a single socket motherboard, and I am fine with 2 systems. And being that my single socket 9654 can beat any dual socket (at stock) Intel system, I am just fine with that.

Jul 27, 2020
Dual sockets suck anyway. NUMA is bad. You need applications written specifically to take advantage of it. Otherwise, the memory latency of fetching data from the other CPU's RAM pool kills performance.

rigel.local

May 26, 2023
Signed up to this forum just to watch this thread. You guys are crazy (in a good way).

I'm currently using EPYC Rome 7532 SP3 but keeping on eye on what's available for SP5 socket for future upgrade.
I wish they had more SP5 ATX or Micro-ATX motherboards available for home/office builds and of course Noctua or Arctic Freezer would produce something for EPYC Genoa.

vityan666

Apr 12, 2023
I had some instability of the system during first week of migration - caused by bad RAM stick, as shown by BMC. It passed the first pass of Memtest86 but failed the second one(Errors on Terst-5 and Reboot on Test-8 or 9, Also shown in BMC as uncorrectable ECC error).
Now running stable in 'odd' memory modules mode(5 modules). Had huge luck, the bad module didn't show itself while I've moved+resized main and Hyper-V partitions from SystemRescue/gparted... It was close...

Meantime in the world of Epyc...
A seller from eBay has an air cooler like my one(The largest), SP5 M97:

The chineese CoolServer (Those who made the 2 large air coolers for SP5) just got a new cookie out of their oven:

Looks like full 360mm AIO for socket SP5. I must get it, I think xDDD

1685135594194.jpeg

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I had some instability of the system during first week of migration - caused by bad RAM stick, as shown by BMC. It passed the first pass of Memtest86 but failed the second one(Errors on Terst-5 and Reboot on Test-8 or 9, Also shown in BMC as uncorrectable ECC error).
Now running stable in 'odd' memory modules mode(5 modules). Had huge luck, the bad module didn't show itself while I've moved+resized main and Hyper-V partitions from SystemRescue/gparted... It was close...

Meantime in the world of Epyc...
A seller from eBay has an air cooler like my one(The largest), SP5 M97:

The chineese CoolServer (Those who made the 2 large air coolers for SP5) just got a new cookie out of their oven:

Looks like full 360mm AIO for socket SP5. I must get it, I think xDDD

View attachment 81091
Thanks for that ! I just ordered 2 from ebay. Still don't have my money back from Alibaba or the bank CC.

Edit: @vityan666 I got supermicro confirmed compatible memory. The first server is still working with the micron, so both are just fine !

What memory did you get ? Mine (the 9654) has been running 100% load 24/7/365 since it was powered up. The second one will wait for the new HSF.

Last edited: