Question Genoa builders thread.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

Markfw

Is it 'scratching metal' noise of radiator or vibration noise of Fans over the radiator due to loose springless holders connections?
Nope, spring holders are positioned perfect. If I putt up one sire and put a small piece of cardboard between radiator and fan, the noise goes away,. Bad design.... It was perfect, then all of a sudden started making this horrible noise. And no matter how I moved it, except away from the rad a hair, it continued. Cheap Noctua knockoff. They will be out this fall, and these 2 go in the trash.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Nope, spring holders are positioned perfect. If I putt up one sire and put a small piece of cardboard between radiator and fan, the noise goes away,. Bad design.... It was perfect, then all of a sudden started making this horrible noise. And no matter how I moved it, except away from the rad a hair, it continued. Cheap Noctua knockoff. They will be out this fall, and these 2 go in the trash.
You got a hardware store near you? see if they sell neoprene. neoprene is similar to those silky rubber gaskets and washers you see on high end fan corners molded into the plastics. You can rough cut a frame and it'll improve the seal from fan to heatsink. It shouldn't run you much. About a buck thirty and some change per sq foot. you'd need just the one, comes in multi thicknesses too. it does feel hard to cut with a utility blade and be careful when you do, or use very sharp scissors. the best method is asking a neighbour whom you don't like very much and asking them to do it for you and claim your arthritis is acting up regardless of weather your a sufferer of the illness. Let them assume the risk.

eracerx

Jun 1, 2023
It's funny, I bought everything before finding this thread which is basically all hardware that is mentioned in this thread. (H12SSL-NT, 9554, both the shorter S42 coolserver w/ single fan, and the taller double fan).

The S42 was purchased before I found the taller one, from Aliexpress. It was delivered a couple days ago and I only entered my 5 digit zip. The taller one was purchased from ebay and just arrived today. How long did it take for the noise on the tall cooler to develop? Are you using the stock fans? I have a couple of noctua's I might just put on to avoid this issue.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
It's funny, I bought everything before finding this thread which is basically all hardware that is mentioned in this thread. (H12SSL-NT, 9554, both the shorter S42 coolserver w/ single fan, and the taller double fan).

The S42 was purchased before I found the taller one, from Aliexpress. It was delivered a couple days ago and I only entered my 5 digit zip. The taller one was purchased from ebay and just arrived today. How long did it take for the noise on the tall cooler to develop? Are you using the stock fans? I have a couple of noctua's I might just put on to avoid this issue.
First, until Noctua makes a cooler for these, not buying any more of the aliexpres/alibabe good looking ones. Just this morning, I had to totally remove the springs holding the fan on for the tall good looking one. While being a little noisey, the below one has been working the best due to the issue I just stated

No other hardware is currently available.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I have another 9554. If I only had $2000 for the motherboard and $924 for 12 more sticks of ram I could set the world record for CB23, but at stock on air at 166k ! And it only runs at 3.5 ghz. Trounces the 3495x at stock on air.

Reactions: lightmanek

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, I don't get this. Everybody is excited about a 3495x under LN2, which would never happen in real life (as real usage), but I have all but proven that 2 9554 64 cores at default on air (like a server would actually be) could beat that world record. So do we care about fantasy or reality ?

Reactions: scannall

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I hope that Intel picks up the pace!!!

AMD looks to be slowing down timelines, but who knows?

9554 would do better with better cooling of any kind?

I want to de-lid one of my 7950x, (I think) and direct die cool it. Looks to add a lot of performance.

Just ran cb23 on my main box at 150w limited. 36,282 MC. I think 9554 has a lot more in the tank!

This is with my RAM detuned a bit and with my case fan profiles on super quiet. Though I am using a 420 arctic aio on the cpu.... And it has been mostly at idle for a few hours.

CookieTyrant

Jul 28, 2023
Is there any post issues with the 9654 on windows when utilizing a 4090? I recently got a bunch of these Genoa chips and was looking at parting out my current rig and perhaps move into an EPYC setup, but I seen Linus had a post issue when trying to use a 4090 and I also read that someone else also has an issue with it in an unrelated thread.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
htop, in the background Android 13 AOSP build running. Some pass are really ST bound and here Genoa is much faster than Milan.
I see... What do the red portions of the bars mean? And why are some portions of the percentages shown in red while others are in grey?

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
Not a builder, but you are renting this instance from the cloud ?
Yes, I rent it from the cloud provider, I travel a lot so it is easier for me to access it from anywhere. I have multiple 2S 7571, 1S 7R13 and 1S 9474F from same provider.
I don't know why I still have access to the older instances but I am super happy with Genoa. I guess it is in my subscription, they wont remove it until I remove them from the Mgmt dashboard.

Last edited:

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Man, those frequency optimized Genoa SKUs are just so sexy. I mentioned this before in this thread, but I would love to get my hands on a few of them when my company upgrades our analysis servers. We're getting close to the end of our upgrade cycle so I'm really excited for new hardware, especially since we're currently running on first gen Xeon Scalable (Skylake-based). Only caveat is that we're evaluating the cost of cloud computing as an alternate, which historically hasn't been a cost effective solution.

vityan666

Apr 12, 2023
Didn't had updates for a while.
So, almost every SlimSAS to U.3 cable is not compatible with Areca RAID(And I think LSI/Broadcom too) then attached to U.3 drive.
Example of cable which will not work with U.3 drive(But will with SAS/SATA):

However, SlimSAS to U.2 cable works just fine(It will definitely not work with SAS/SATA, through):

On the same day I received the U.2 cable(2 weeks ago) I found this, the MCIO 74p to U.3 cable(Finally):

So I finished the installation and migration of main OS+Hyper-V from SAS SSD to the U.3 one(Finally), hooked directly to mobo via MCIO.

Added slice of cartoon to prevent the connector from moving under mechanical pressure of cable and tower doors. :)

Attachments

• 20230804_185617_small.jpg
    20230804_185617_small.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: phonitor

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
The following part was discussed in April, but nevertheless…
You are leaving alot of performance by installing Ubuntu.
If you have any links to the fastest one, post here please, and I will consider it as a second OS. Linux mint is easy to install and use, and right now its running just great.
Clear Linux no questions about it.
Clear Linux is not an Easy Distro. But the fastest Distro
Gentoo tops it by its nature of being a sources distro that optimizes all software builds to the hardware used.
There aren't tangible performance differences between Linux distributions in Mark's use case. Virtually all of the scientific applications which he is running
– are pre-built binaries,
– are statically linked,
– issue hardly any syscalls, IOW spend almost all the time in userspace.¹​

(Even if there was a bloated CPU eating desktop environment installed by a distro [but that's not really the case with Linux Mint, IME], it wouldn't matter on his high-core-count/ large-memory computers.)

________
¹) Edit, OK, this particular bit about syscalls does not apply to GPGPU applications. But in their case, the choice of Linux distribution still doesn't really matter, as the kernel-mode driver and GPGPU user-mode libraries are provided by the GPU vendor as binaries.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Genoa 9554 build number 3 ! Here is a link to it, so I don't cross post.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Are there any decent ATX solutions + cooling yet? Considering putting something together at some point.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Supermicro H13SSL just slightly exceeds ATX size, by 0.5" = 13 mm more depth. Should fit into many ATX cases.
(ASRock Rack GENOAD8UD exceeds ATX depth by 0.9" = 23 mm. This board is harder to find in retail, possibly a bit more pricey, and limited to 8 DIMM slots.)

Cooling solutions: Depends on what TDP you have in mind.
The only existing decent DIY cooling solutions for the larger core count Genoas for now are custom liquid cooling loops (if you accept them as 'decent', considering their caveats). However, I wonder if the VRM banks are sufficiently cooled with low air flow like in typical DIY scenarios. DIYers could certainly build their own liquid coolers for the VRMs though, by modifying off-the-shelf liquid VRM coolers, which aren't easy to source these days though.

Noctua "next-gen AMD Threadripper coolers" will be out Real Soon Now, but it remains to be seen if they will be for SP6 or for SP5 or either one, and what they really will accomplish if you don't strap high speed fans onto them.

Edit:
The thing is, a heat flux which previously was happening in dual-socket systems now needs to be dissipated from a single socket. Of course server ODMs have their solutions for that, but these are neither quite attractive to, nor easily obtained by DIYers.
I wouldn't count on Noctua to come to the DIYer's rescue with a solution which has got the amount of radiating fins and heatpipes of two NH-D15s soldered onto a single coldplate.

Last edited: