General VR discussion thread

Page 85 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Have you tried something like a carabiner around a belt loop? It won't completely help keep the cable from getting wrapped around you if you turn a lot, but it can help keep the cable behind you. Along those lines, some people even go to the extreme to mount the cable along the ceiling on a leash-like setup. I've gotten pretty used to it at this point. if I feel it by my feet when playing Beat Saber, I'll just (lightly) kick it to the side.
Haha yeah a carabiner is actually a pretty good idea. I may try that out.

I actually bid on the wireless adapter on Ebay, I gotta go check that auction...

Woot I'm still the highest bidder and there's about 24 hours left. Only $152 right now so that's pretty good, I hope it dosen't skyrocket.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yay I won the auction. $200 for the wireless adapter. Eh, I still think that's plenty of money but it is an $80 discount at least.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yay I won the auction. $200 for the wireless adapter. Eh, I still think that's plenty of money but it is an $80 discount at least.

I'm not sure which headset you have... do you need the Pro Adapter Kit too?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I picked up a Rift S and have been loving it.

I do miss the external motion sensors, but tracking is honestly not that bad.
I was looking at a 1440p VR headset and had a tough choice between the Rift S and Samsungs.
I honestly think the Vive pro is honestly just too expensive, its a wonderful headset but definitely to me not worth the 1000 dollar price tag for the limited titles we have.
Maybe when we get better titles i'll probably invest in a better headset.

The only peeve i have with the Rift S is when you move the controllers behind you like your shooting a bow.
It loses track of them and can turn out funny.

Also when your using an sniper rifle.
You need to assume position of a assault rifle or GG trying to line up scope.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I picked up a Rift S and have been loving it.

I do miss the external motion sensors, but tracking is honestly not that bad.
I was looking at a 1440p VR headset and had a tough choice between the Rift S and Samsungs.
I honestly think the Vive pro is honestly just too expensive, its a wonderful headset but definitely to me not worth the 1000 dollar price tag for the limited titles we have.
Maybe when we get better titles i'll probably invest in a better headset.

The only peeve i have with the Rift S is when you move the controllers behind you like your shooting a bow.
It loses track of them and can turn out funny.

Also when your using an sniper rifle.
You need to assume position of a assault rifle or GG trying to line up scope.

I know some people seemed a bit unhappy that Oculus went with a cheaper setup using inside-out versus external sensors, but to a degree, I think it all worked out better. Inside-out is not as good as external sensors, but the Rift S and Quest are both at a price point where that's... okay. On that note, I do think the Vive Pro is just too expensive now that Valve is releasing their Index HMD. Although, the Index is still more expensive than the Rift S, but given that it uses external sensors and tries to be a more accurate setup... that might just be okay too. To a degree, I think it's good to give users choice like that.

I think the one thing that I'm hoping that we'll see is a similar change to what we saw in console gaming over the years: control method standardization. In the beginning, the differences between the Vive and Rift's controllers had to make application development a bit awkward at times... especially when comparing movement control differences (touchpad vs. thumbstick). Although, Valve's new Index Controller is far more similar to the Rift's controller with a few differences. I think I first heard this suggestion from Tested, and I think it's a good one... to have Valve consider making a cheaper Index controller without finger sensing (or a more simplistic button press style). The controllers are still fairly pricey at $260, and when combined with the base stations, the two necessary "accessories" cost more than the HMD itself ($500).

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I also bought the Rift S and compared to my Rift CV1...well there is no comparison. The Rift S is hands down WAY better. love the inside out tracking! WAY better than setting up the three sensors I have to do with my CV1. Visuals are soooo much better. Soooo much clearer. The only downside is the audio but though it lacks impact it makes up for it with spacial effect.

I agree with @aigomorla that though the Vive pro is most likely superior...the price tag is a joke. No thank you.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I sold my CV1 for a good amount and now I'm waiting to sell my Odyssey but only once I am able to pick up an HP Reverb. Unfortunately no stock available in US from a reputable source.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
The HP Reverb without a doubt has the nicest screens but leaving all my Oculus games behind would be a sore point for me.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You can still play your oculus games. The controls will be a bit different due to the wmr controllers. You need to install software called Revive. The owner keeps it pretty up to date on GitHub. Never had an issue using it on the Odyssey to play robo recall and other titles.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i think i would honestly wait for valve index before even considering a reverb.

i think the software behind the headset is more important then anything.
I am already seeing some things not work properly which was designed for htc vive, working on my oculus.

I am pretty sure anything oculus store offers will work for oculus also anything steam offers for index should also work right out of the box for index.

I am also hearing the index is going to be the cream of the crop, but again meh.
There is a very small library of VR titles which interest me at the moment, and sadly most of our offerings are in the 18+ over catigory, and not in the gore sense.

Also VR makes using guns sort of more difficult, especially the sniper rifle, and bow.
Maybe i need a gunstock, but i do miss the snap zoom u get on a mouse and keyboard, instead of trying to align up a virtual scope.

I do find space games more interesting and a lot more fun.
Elite Dangerous for example is a completely different game when your playing it in VR vs normal.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My Index Controllers (Knuckle controllers) should ship out today for Friday delivery. I'll finally get to play Moss and not have to deal with the awful touchpad controls of the original Vive Wand! I've heard that Superhot VR was also updated for the Index controllers too. I'm also curious to see how well they work in games like Beat Saber. My biggest problem with the Vive Wands in Beat Saber is that I'd randomly hit the Steam button, which brings up the SteamVR menu. Pausing me in the middle of a rhythm game will usually not have good results. :p

Although, there is a part of me that wishes I would've just gone with the HMD and Controller combo. I would've probably just sold my Vive Pro to make up for that, but then again, I'm still not sure about the slightly lower IPD limit and the LCD panel. Impressions that I've seen are pretty frank that blacks won't look as good on the Index, but they also do seem to stress that it isn't too big of a deal. Although, as for the IPD problem, my IPD is 72, which is above the Index's limit, and I'm not sure how it'll look only being close. The Oculus Quest setup showed me how different things can look when the IPD is wrong. I've never really known before because the Vive and Vive Pro have the more minute, digital adjustments where the Quest has a simple slider.

Reactions: Kaido

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'm not sure which headset you have... do you need the Pro Adapter Kit too?
Negative, I just have the standard HTC Vive headset. I haven't even tried out the wireless or the Index controllers I have now too yet. I'm a gaming failure. :cryingcat: fml

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, I setup the Index Controllers, and I'll admit that the setup can be a bit... wonky. On the other hand, it's probably far, far simpler if you're just setting up a brand new Index. I normally charge my controllers with the default cables plugged into my computer, and when trying to pair, I left the Vive Wands plugged in. Unfortunately, this seemed to cause a problem as one controller crept back in after I paired both Index controllers. After detaching both controllers, I no longer had any pairing issues.

I'm a little mixed on Beat Saber with the Index Controllers. I'm not 100% sure if the saber position has been refined to work with the different grip on the Index Controllers. I used a mod called SaberTailor and some values found online to adjust the saber's position to help make it a bit better. What really makes a difference is how you don't really move your wrist much with the Index Controllers, which causes you to put a lot more strain on your arms.

You'll see this same sort of "weird aiming" when you're using the controllers to select items from the Steam menus. Both controllers create their "selection laser" from the front of the controller, but the difference is that the Vive Wands sort of emulate a flashlight. On the other hand, the Index Controllers feel more like a blow torch where it's at a 90-degree angle.

I also made sure to try out Moss, but I ran into a bit of a snafu. The first time I played it, it kept using the Vive Wand configuration. If you go under controls, it will show you which control scheme you're currently using, but there's no option to change it. I'm not sure what fixed it, but the second time I played, it was showing the correct control scheme. Although, in regard to controlling Moss, it is worth noting that the thumbsticks might not be in the best position on the Index Controllers. It's a bit subtle, but there's just slightly too far to the side. So, you end up moving your thumb a bit further than you'd like to use it.

I haven't really tried out the grips in much other than the Vive Home app, but the finger tracking seems to work fairly well. To be clear, it won't be as good as some crazy, accurate glove-based apparatus, but for what it is, it works fairly well. Although, given that I'd prefer to see the Index Controller's control scheme made far more common, I do wish that they'd develop a touchless version that retailed for significantly less. I think this would work the best given how similar the Index Controllers are to the Oculus Touch controllers.

Negative, I just have the standard HTC Vive headset. I haven't even tried out the wireless or the Index controllers I have now too yet. I'm a gaming failure. fml

My only complaint about the Wireless is that even though it's an official add-on, it still feels about as tacked on as the TPCast version did. You still have to launch an extra piece of software before playing VR and you have to wear that goofy receiver on your head. I guess it doesn't help that I think we pushed toward gaming being "simpler" over the years, so tacked-on add-ons always feel a little hokey.

Oh, and you may want to be a little wary... some users complained about excessive heat coming from the receiver when using it with the original Vive.

Reactions: clamum

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
What do you guys think of the new Valve VR? $1000 - is it software compatible?

It's a pretty good piece of hardware if you're looking for high-end VR, and yes, it's compatible as it just uses SteamVR like the Vive.

sward

Staff member
Sep 3, 2019
I've actually heard really good things about the Quest, there's already some really good content for it...

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Looks like there's an upcoming Walking Dead VR game. Of course the trailer is just cinematic (how dare we show gameplay) but I'm hoping it's decent. Trailer was fine for what it was.

Well what do ya know, there is actually gameplay footage: Walking Dead VR gameplay

I'm actually thinking about selling my Vive and upgrading to an Index after a guy replied to my Tweet talking about VR. I really like how you can kind of buy the Index in pieces instead of all at once. I already have the controllers but haven't even used them cause I'm a failure.

I'm guessing the Index base stations are different than the Vive base stations?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Well honestly i dont think any VR headset is worth 1000 dollars after using it. (well not unless your using it for business / professional reasons.)
Your honestly not going to be on it every game.
Your much better off spending the 1000 dollars on a Ultra wide screen monitor, or something with awesome 4k.

I think i played at the most 5-6 titles and wearing a headset makes the game sort of unbearable after a few hours.

The problem again is titles.
There just isn't much available for VR to merit one spending 1000 dollars.

Im pretty glad i didn't spend too much on my Rift S.
Although i am sort of regretting not getting the Samsung Oddessy which i hear is more comfortable to wear, is cheaper, has OLED, is better suited for casual VR.

Also i do not like the oculus software and disabling my sleep, also not liking USB 3.1 ASMedia ports.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I recently purchased the hp reverb. Resolution is very crisp and clear but I mainly use it for flight so I can't say much about other games. It's much lighter than the Odyssey and more comfortable to wear. Colors are not the same as they are on the Samsung Odyssey because Samsung has the oled panels, but for what I use it for, it's 100% better.