General VR discussion thread

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Curious when occulus will announce their v2. The vive just looks bulky to me.

It's big, but it's light. I've worn it for hours without any issues. And the new one is supposed to be even lighter in weight.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm going to wait until occulus v2 comes out. I mainly use my occulus for flight simming so it will do for now. Although I hear the vive is more glasses friendly.

I wear contacts most of the day except late at night and my glasses don't fit in the occulus.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
i watched the vive pro coverage from ces on yt, the improvements are impressive given the timeframe.
the integrated audio has something like 5 speakers for each ear for 3d audio, though the arms holding each cup seem oddly clunky if not overmanufactured.
the fov is supposed to be a tiny bit wider and the lens sweetspot is supposed to be bigger.
the res increase is enough to read text in virtual desktop.

the hardware specs seem like a vive1.5 than a 2.0. its a nice bump but it still feels a little unoptimized. the LG prototype has way better ergonomics. the fact that it still uses 3 wires in the cable harness instead of a single dp(w passthru) or single usbTypeC cable keeps me from wanting to jump on this version of the vive. (the wireless module just makes you look like you are wearing a weird set of animal horns.)

supposedly the pressure from business/professional feedback drove the res bump.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So what is 3.0 card are you guys using for those of you that have an occulus? I bought the innatek card that has 7 USB ports total (5 on outside, 2 inside).

It was fine for a few months and now I notice my thrust master warthog throttle lights blinking on and off. I've also noticed windows complaining about the rift headset being unrecognizable until I unplug and plug the USB back in.

Looking for another card I guess. People seem to like the startek 4 port card better. I just chose the one with 7 because I have a lot of devices to plug in and not enough USB ports on my mobo for everything.

This seems random and it looks like not all cards work the same for everyone. I also could not use the latest innatek drivers. Had to uninstall them and let windows load default ones.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
So what is 3.0 card are you guys using for those of you that have an occulus? I bought the innatek card that has 7 USB ports total (5 on outside, 2 inside).

It was fine for a few months and now I notice my thrust master warthog throttle lights blinking on and off. I've also noticed windows complaining about the rift headset being unrecognizable until I unplug and plug the USB back in.

Looking for another card I guess. People seem to like the startek 4 port card better. I just chose the one with 7 because I have a lot of devices to plug in and not enough USB ports on my mobo for everything.

This seems random and it looks like not all cards work the same for everyone. I also could not use the latest innatek drivers. Had to uninstall them and let windows load default ones.

I have the 4 port and it works fine.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have the 4 port and it works fine.
Hmm seems to confirm what I've heard or read on the internet then. The 4 port version seems to be more stable. I constantly loose connection and have to unplug/reply or reboot to get it back to normal. I may get the startek card but it's $80 for 4 ports!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hm, so my addiction to buying random tech is sort of kicking in. I'm tempted to pick up the Samsung Odyssey Windows MR headset. I heard that it's pretty much the best one out of all the WMR headsets and the visuals are actually better than the Rift/Vive and are likely very similar to the Vive Pro. (The assumption is that the Vive Pro uses the same screens.) Albeit, if that's the case, I could just wait for the Vive Pro, which should be coming out within 2-3 months. The biggest downside is that the Odyssey is $500. That's $100 less than the Vive and $100 more than the Rift! :eek:

Although, I do kind of like the idea that you don't have to deal with nearly as much physical hardware. I could hook it up to my laptop and have it as more of a portable VR setup.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Hm, so my addiction to buying random tech is sort of kicking in. I'm tempted to pick up the Samsung Odyssey Windows MR headset. I heard that it's pretty much the best one out of all the WMR headsets and the visuals are actually better than the Rift/Vive and are likely very similar to the Vive Pro. (The assumption is that the Vive Pro uses the same screens.) Albeit, if that's the case, I could just wait for the Vive Pro, which should be coming out within 2-3 months. The biggest downside is that the Odyssey is $500. That's $100 less than the Vive and $100 more than the Rift! :eek:

Although, I do kind of like the idea that you don't have to deal with nearly as much physical hardware. I could hook it up to my laptop and have it as more of a portable VR setup.

I am very interested in the EN1080K: (the price, not so much)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12201/zotac-zbox-magnus-en1080k-compact-gaming-pc-review

Although a gaming laptop would be much more practical. Plus...gaming laptop + Vive Pro + Vive wireless adapter would make for a pretty mint portable setup. The only pain is needing tripods & batteries for the Lighthouses.

I'm considering doing just the HMD upgrade. The one thing I would really like is sharper text; I'm especially curious to see just how usable remote desktops are with the higher resolution. My guess is not perfect, but I'm wondering if for at least light stuff (forum browsing?) it would skip giving you a headache, at least.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm considering doing just the HMD upgrade. The one thing I would really like is sharper text; I'm especially curious to see just how usable remote desktops are with the higher resolution. My guess is not perfect, but I'm wondering if for at least light stuff (forum browsing?) it would skip giving you a headache, at least.

That's pretty much the big reason why I want one as well. The original Vive always felt like a bit of a half step, which is probably why I don't use it very much.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
That's pretty much the big reason why I want one as well. The original Vive always felt like a bit of a half step, which is probably why I don't use it very much.

I don't use my Vive as much as I used to, simply because I've gone through most of the good games already. It's kind of going through that original Wii stage right now...amazing technology, but just not a lot of amazing, replayable games for the platform. I think the wireless plus stuff like the Pimax will help accelerate it to, ah, the Nintendo Switch stage of popularity, haha.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
WHexPTq.jpg

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't use my Vive as much as I used to, simply because I've gone through most of the good games already. It's kind of going through that original Wii stage right now...amazing technology, but just not a lot of amazing, replayable games for the platform. I think the wireless plus stuff like the Pimax will help accelerate it to, ah, the Nintendo Switch stage of popularity, haha.

But, how can you say you've played everything good when Stunt Corgi VR is coming out!? Yes, that is a legit link with a legit game with a legit Corgi in a legit tutu on a legit skateboard. :p

Reactions: Kaido

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Anyone play OrbusVR? It's an MMORPG in VR

Hm, I watched the video, and it's an interesting looking game, but one thing really bugged me.. the lack of animation. When you're with other people, their characters barely move. You may see weapons or shields raise up, but there's very little other movement. Even when players teleport, they just kinda.. warp to that position. MMOs are all about being immersed into a world, and that kind of takes me out.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Have you guys seen that rollable OLED stuff that LG showed off at CES? Could that be used to advance VR? Meaning, instead of wearing a headset, you sit inside an enclosure in which you're surrounded by the OLED screen, and even the floor is OLED though granted it would have to have a thicker protective glass covering to shield it from your weight.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Have you guys seen that rollable OLED stuff that LG showed off at CES? Could that be used to advance VR? Meaning, instead of wearing a headset, you sit inside an enclosure in which you're surrounded by the OLED screen, and even the floor is OLED though granted it would have to have a thicker protective glass covering to shield it from your weight.
I'm imagining you are suggesting that the flexible OLEDs be used for 3d?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
You're talking about Wallpaper? Cool AF isn't it...but also way more expensive at the moment than VR headsets.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I'm imagining you are suggesting that the flexible OLEDs be used for 3d?

3D by definition yes, but more specifically I'm suggesting it replace the VR headset and instead be a VR chamber; imagine sitting inside a spherical bubble made out of that. Obviously it would cost insane amounts, at least at first. But it would negate the need to use a VR headset, so you'd be able to see your own body while using it. I'm imagining it could be configured to let you stand in it with just touch controllers, or have a small chair and desk for KBM, or even have a flight sim/racing sim chair inside it. Naturally, the more you need to accommodate inside it, the bigger the sphere's got to be and the more expensive. I'm envisioning that as a midpoint between uncomfortable VR headsets, and outright holographic projection!

You're talking about Wallpaper? Cool AF isn't it...but also way more expensive at the moment than VR headsets.

More expensive in more ways than one....wouldn't such a creation have a huge resolution, and not only be expensive on its own merits, but also require gpu power we don't currently have? At least not in the restrained barely-competition we have now between Nvidia and AMD?

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
3D by definition yes, but more specifically I'm suggesting it replace the VR headset and instead be a VR chamber; imagine sitting inside a spherical bubble made out of that. Obviously it would cost insane amounts, at least at first. But it would negate the need to use a VR headset, so you'd be able to see your own body while using it. I'm imagining it could be configured to let you stand in it with just touch controllers, or have a small chair and desk for KBM, or even have a flight sim/racing sim chair inside it. Naturally, the more you need to accommodate inside it, the bigger the sphere's got to be and the more expensive. I'm envisioning that as a midpoint between uncomfortable VR headsets, and outright holographic projection!

More expensive in more ways than one....wouldn't such a creation have a huge resolution, and not only be expensive on its own merits, but also require gpu power we don't currently have? At least not in the restrained barely-competition we have now between Nvidia and AMD?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still a VR newbie but I don't think just having a giant screen in front of you is going to give you that depth needed to simulate 3d. On my Gear VR if I close one side of my eye it loses the 3d effect and it's just like looking at a giant screen in front of my face. It may still need some type of glasses to simulate the effect.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Since I've been waiting until 2.0 to get VR, I checked the thread to see if it's still coming this year. I see the new Vive announcement... hm.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm still a bit hesitant regarding 2.0 - let's see what the graphic requirements are going to be first. I don't see 1080ti prices getting any cheaper any time soon.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still a VR newbie but I don't think just having a giant screen in front of you is going to give you that depth needed to simulate 3d. On my Gear VR if I close one side of my eye it loses the 3d effect and it's just like looking at a giant screen in front of my face. It may still need some type of glasses to simulate the effect.
you are correct, it wont work.

a flexible oled 360 wall has no ability to differentiate the light emitted to each eye, so there would be no depth/vergence data. you could try and set up a lenticular lens sheet over the oled to split the data, but then the viewer would have to be in only one precise sweet spot and be unable to move/tilt their head. also 3d objects would never be able to overlap your body so you could never hold some virtual object in your hand or bring it close to your face since the focal length would never be anywhere near enough to the oled wall. at best an oled pod would be barely any better than a projector throwing on a cyclorama (which people tried decades ago).

head tracking would be impossible much less eye tracking and it would only work for seated sims where you are only dealing with stuff at infinty focus. you would still need hardware peripherals and you would always be stuck with those same looking controls, whereas a virtual cockpit means you can have an infinite number of layouts and mechanisms with something like the valve knuckle controller.

headset free vr/ar is functionally impossible for now and the forseeable future. light field tech is being developed in things like the avegant but there is no way to do so without a headset.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
The guys behind Raw Data are coming out with Sprint Vector in about a week, looks super fun!