General VR discussion thread

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Not sure if it has anything to do with the connections but try going through this article and see if you missed anything.

https://www.vrheads.com/how-enable-vr-elite-dangerous

Those were the steps I ultimately followed (no dice).

Sure enough, tried it again last night and this time I unplugged the HDMI output cable to my TV first. BAM, soon as I plugged in the headset I figured it was gonna work because the headset was active and showing that Steam/VR Home thing or whatever it is when it was blank before. I haven't used the VR a whole lot, and not in quite a while, so I'm rather a nub still at this.

But anyway I got ED fired up and it is pretty cool. Not quite as immersive as I thought it was gonna be but it was neat. Ugh, I can say that I like mouse & keyboard for control wayyyyy more than a joystick. I just gotta get used to the stick I guess.

One thing that's been kind of annoying since the start is that it's easy for things to be out-of-focus if I don't have the headset pushed up on my head and just in the right position in front of my eyes. That's my biggest complaint about the Vive (any current gen VR probably); things outside of directly in front of my eyes get blurry... I guess that's the term for it. I've tried adjusting the pupil distance with the knob on the headset but I think there's still some tweaking I could do. I'm gonna do some searches on the web and YouTube to see if there's some guides.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It seemed pretty immersive to me, maybe because it's a little different with it running directly from occulus home. You definitely have better handling using a proper throttle and stick as long as you map all the commands you need for basic fighting and exploration.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
I wonder what that means.

Did the price pressure from Rift's sale and reduction push them to non-profitability?
htc was in pretty dire condition before the vive, partnering with valve was an attempt to diversify out of being a mobile only company. i read yesterday somewher that the vive is actually doing fine sales wise (some analysis group has them outselling/leading rift by 220k units).

the problem for htc is that the 1st gen vr isnt going to be a big market for a while so in order to make a real dent in their revenue problems they need a higher price for these early units. if they lower the price to the ~$300 of the originally promised price of the KS rift, then they would need to sell 20 or 30 times the units. i dont think they have the free capital to ramp to those numbers.

they may have been gambling that standalone vr using mobile soc would arrive faster. if you can ditch the pc requirement, the ability for htc/LG/samsung/etc to iterate and customize on their own schedule means having the vive headstart would be worth it for the experience and dev time.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I'm thinking of getting Elite Dangerous while it's on sale. Anyone use Touch controllers with this, or is a joystick the better option?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm thinking of getting Elite Dangerous while it's on sale. Anyone use Touch controllers with this, or is a joystick the better option?
Default controller would be the Xbox one controller but this game is way better off with a throttle and joystick as you need to have quite a few button assignments ready.

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Default controller would be the Xbox one controller but this game is way better off with a throttle and joystick as you need to have quite a few button assignments ready.
Yeah IMO it does require a lot of button assignments. Between my Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS throttle and joystick, which have 12 buttons, I'd say it's the absolute MINIMUM to have.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well, well, well. Apparently there's this thing called Revive that lets you play Oculus games on the HTC Vive (Lone Echo Now Works with HTC Vive).

OFF TO STEAM TO BUY LONE ECHO, WOOOOOT
Definitely get it, it's very immersive. You just need to stop if you are getting hot or dizzy. It's unlike other games because the whole time you are walking/floating in space and to move around you need to push yourself off of things.

You should see if you can get echo arena which is free for everyone and it's multiplayer so at least you can get used to the movement.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Definitely get it, it's very immersive. You just need to stop if you are getting hot or dizzy. It's unlike other games because the whole time you are walking/floating in space and to move around you need to push yourself off of things.

You should see if you can get echo arena which is free for everyone and it's multiplayer so at least you can get used to the movement.
Duh, not sure why I said "Off to Steam to buy Lone Echo." It's a dang Oculus game, lol. Anyway I installed the Oculus software and bought and downloaded Lone Echo and confirmed that the Revive icon is in my SteamVR thing. Looking forward to trying it out later tonight when I have some time. And new (final :cryingcat:) Game of Thrones episode tonight too? Man it's just the most spectacular night ever lined up. LOL no but kinda.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Is there a 2nd gen VR in the works? I just want to know cos I'm planning to get the Vive and I don't want to feel like an idiot after purchase knowing that I could've waited for a better investment.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Is there a 2nd gen VR in the works? I just want to know cos I'm planning to get the Vive and I don't want to feel like an idiot after purchase knowing that I could've waited for a better investment.

Of course there is.

The best estimates seem to be in about a year but it's estimating.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Of course there is.

The best estimates seem to be in about a year but it's estimating.

Thank you. It does look like it's gonna be a while though. I'll do up some more reading to see which one I should pick up.
Once again, thanks.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Thank you. It does look like it's gonna be a while though. I'll do up some more reading to see which one I should pick up.
Once again, thanks.
Occulus is the best value for the money unless you are going for very large room scale games. The resolution also seems better on the occulus from what I have heard from a co-worker that used to have a vive and ended up with the rift later.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Occulus is the best value for the money unless you are going for very large room scale games. The resolution also seems better on the occulus from what I have heard from a co-worker that used to have a vive and ended up with the rift later.
The resolution is the same on both machines.

Full screen antialiasing makes a huge difference; so no matter how much single-card horse power you have, VR can benefit from it.

I have a vive, I love my vive, but i've got 15ft x 15 ft for my VR room. if you don't have about 12 x 12 you may be better off with the rift because it's a few hundred less expensive.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The resolution is the same on both machines.

Full screen antialiasing makes a huge difference; so no matter how much single-card horse power you have, VR can benefit from it.

I have a vive, I love my vive, but i've got 15ft x 15 ft for my VR room. if you don't have about 12 x 12 you may be better off with the rift because it's a few hundred less expensive.
I guess but I only really use it for dcs world and people who also use it for the same app mentioned that resolution being a bit better on the occulus at least for that sim. But yea antialiasing makes a difference and if you have the room for it, Vive is better for that.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
While the Vive wands are far from ideal...am I the only one who doesn't care for the Touch controllers? I find them cumbersome.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I've put 2hrs into a game called Zomday. It's a wave based shooter that has just added free movement and snap turning for the Rift, it started out as a Vive based game and both have teleportation if you like that method of movement better.

This video gives a good idea of the game, at the time of the vid, the game was 5.99 - it has moved to 9.99, and didn't have free movement and snap turning and better Rift support. The developers have been quite receptive to suggestions and updating the game. I love the game as it has a big House of the Dead vibe.

Store Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/681390/ZomDay/

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Arizona Sunshine is my favorite VR game to date followed closely by Lone Echo (which does not make me sick). Robo Recall is great but it is a pretty active game; as in you will move around a lot.