General VR discussion thread

Page 67 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I had to stop playing after 30 min when I start feeling hot and clammy and a bit nauseous. I never get like this when I am flying though.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Anyone try out Rez Infinite? It's an old Dreamcast game that also saw a release on PlayStation VR. However, this past week, it got a PC release, which also included VR support (Vive and Oculus).

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Anyone try out Rez Infinite? It's an old Dreamcast game that also saw a release on PlayStation VR. However, this past week, it got a PC release, which also included VR support (Vive and Oculus).

I just saw the video for it the other day & it looks like it'd be a real trip in VR!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Mario Kart VR! I'd pay through the nose to get one of those!!

Also DBZ droooooooooool

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Mario Kart VR! I'd pay through the nose to get one of those!!

Also DBZ droooooooooool

Sheit mayne that looks fricking cool.

giphy.gif

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
There's a VR arcade open now, about 40 minutes from Hartford:

https://www.sparkvirtualreality.com/

My buddy went over the weekend. 5 bays, each with a Vive & projector:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUvO6vblPx9/?taken-by=spark_vr

$40 for an hour of gameplay. They have a handful of games:
  • Space Pirate Trainer
  • Climbey
  • Brookhaven
  • Longbow
  • Xortex
  • Conductor
  • theBlu
  • Slingshot
  • Budget Cuts
  • Cloudlands Minigolf
  • Google Earth
  • Holoball
  • Sculptr
  • Waltz of the Wizard
Awesome to see VR IRL!

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeesh, $100 for that deluxe strap? I already have a good pair of Sennheiser headphones, I'm not sure those built-in headphones are as good. For $50 I'd consider it, but not $100. I don't find the original strap uncomfortable and pairing it with my own headphones isn't a big deal to me. But it looks like a good upgrade for people.

I was gonna post this question in the Elite: Dangerous thread but it can go here too I guess. Well, scratch that, I think I found the answer. I was gonna say my VR wasn't working (I enabled the 3D headphones option in Graphics settings and the view on my monitor was all fish eyed and moved when I moved the Vive headset, but the headset was dark/blank) but it looks like you actually gotta run the game through Steam. I had originally bought the game through Frontier and was launching it the standard way. On my own last night I did the Partner Key thing though and activated it on Steam since I figured I'd give that a try, and began the download, a-frickin-gain. But I just read that you gotta run it through Steam so it looks like I was on the right track. WOOT. I am looking forward to it but the complaints about the image quality with the Vive got me a little nervous. We shall see.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeesh, $100 for that deluxe strap? I already have a good pair of Sennheiser headphones, I'm not sure those built-in headphones are as good. For $50 I'd consider it, but not $100. I don't find the original strap uncomfortable and pairing it with my own headphones isn't a big deal to me. But it looks like a good upgrade for people.

I was gonna post this question in the Elite: Dangerous thread but it can go here too I guess. Well, scratch that, I think I found the answer. I was gonna say my VR wasn't working (I enabled the 3D headphones option in Graphics settings and the view on my monitor was all fish eyed and moved when I moved the Vive headset, but the headset was dark/blank) but it looks like you actually gotta run the game through Steam. I had originally bought the game through Frontier and was launching it the standard way. On my own last night I did the Partner Key thing though and activated it on Steam since I figured I'd give that a try, and began the download, a-frickin-gain. But I just read that you gotta run it through Steam so it looks like I was on the right track. WOOT. I am looking forward to it but the complaints about the image quality with the Vive got me a little nervous. We shall see.
Yea I had the same question but when I bought it on frontier website there is a way to generate keys for oculus home or vive so I did that and it ended up installing the deluxe edition in oculus home. The same game on oculus home is like $40 or something like that.

I run it on ultra VR preset and it looks and plays fine.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A year or two. According to an article I read, oculus mentioned don't be expecting a 2nd gen anytime soon.

I think at this point ill wait out the 2nd gen stuff. Original plan was to buy a Vega GPU and VR now. But since Vega was so underwhelming im waiting out volta, if im going to wait 6-8 months for volta may as well wait out 2nd gen VR sets if they are only a year out.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yea I had the same question but when I bought it on frontier website there is a way to generate keys for oculus home or vive so I did that and it ended up installing the deluxe edition in oculus home. The same game on oculus home is like $40 or something like that.

I run it on ultra VR preset and it looks and plays fine.

Nice! Good to hear. It looks like my rig is quite similar to yours, although your video card is better, so maybe it'll be decent. I'm not overly critical anyway. Woooo, I'm jonesin to try now. I have played some ED in the past and used the mouse and keyboard which I thought was a great controller setup with the keys I had bound (followed some guy's recommendation on the keys). I have tried the HOTAS setup and didn't care much for it cause I always have been such crap with a joystick when it comes to precise aiming, but there's no way I can use a keyboard with the Vive headset on, lol, so I'll just have to deal with it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Nice! Good to hear. It looks like my rig is quite similar to yours, although your video card is better, so maybe it'll be decent. I'm not overly critical anyway. Woooo, I'm jonesin to try now. I have played some ED in the past and used the mouse and keyboard which I thought was a great controller setup with the keys I had bound (followed some guy's recommendation on the keys). I have tried the HOTAS setup and didn't care much for it cause I always have been such crap with a joystick when it comes to precise aiming, but there's no way I can use a keyboard with the Vive headset on, lol, so I'll just have to deal with it.
I haven't played ED in a while. Got it last month but I've been playing the mirage 2000c campaign in digital combat simulator.

I use the thrustmaster hotas and rudder pedals and ED recognized the TM Hotas right away and automatically maps stuff to it. You just need to remember the button ID's like joy button 5 or 21, etc.

Due to the fact that I've been playing dcs lately, I haven't touched ED because the controls are confusing when you go from use coolie hat forward or dms right/left, short long to use joy button 5 for this now use joy button 21 for this, etc. Once I'm done with the Mirage campaign I'll probably jump into ED again.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Well poop. I tried Elite Dangerous again last night after I had activated it on Steam and re-downloaded it. I launched it and selected the VR version.

The same issue is happening... fisheye view of the main menu (which to me looks like VR is enabled) and it reacts to motions of the Vive headset, but the headset itself is blank.

I'm kicking myself now as I should've tried other VR titles. Maybe something is up with my setup because when I launch the SteamVR app it detects all of the components fine and they're all green, but I do get an alert that says something to the effect of "Warning: Your current graphics settings are set to duplicate displays and this may cause bad performance." Something like that anyway. But I double checked my display properties and it's only set to display on my PC monitor. I do however have my TV hooked up via HDMI for outputting. I bet if I actually unplug the HDML cable it'll take care of that message. Not sure if that has anything to do with my Elite Dangerous problem but I haven't gotten that warning before this.

Anyway I think I'll try some other VR titles to see what's up. I have only done room scale VR before but I don't think it's anything to do with standing/sitting and room scale.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well poop. I tried Elite Dangerous again last night after I had activated it on Steam and re-downloaded it. I launched it and selected the VR version.

The same issue is happening... fisheye view of the main menu (which to me looks like VR is enabled) and it reacts to motions of the Vive headset, but the headset itself is blank.

I'm kicking myself now as I should've tried other VR titles. Maybe something is up with my setup because when I launch the SteamVR app it detects all of the components fine and they're all green, but I do get an alert that says something to the effect of "Warning: Your current graphics settings are set to duplicate displays and this may cause bad performance." Something like that anyway. But I double checked my display properties and it's only set to display on my PC monitor. I do however have my TV hooked up via HDMI for outputting. I bet if I actually unplug the HDML cable it'll take care of that message. Not sure if that has anything to do with my Elite Dangerous problem but I haven't gotten that warning before this.

Anyway I think I'll try some other VR titles to see what's up. I have only done room scale VR before but I don't think it's anything to do with standing/sitting and room scale.
Not sure if it has anything to do with the connections but try going through this article and see if you missed anything.

https://www.vrheads.com/how-enable-vr-elite-dangerous