General VR discussion thread

Page 66 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Getting closer to buying one - I'd been waiting on ether the Vive or a 2.0 product, but this is a nice price.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Getting closer to buying one - I'd been waiting on ether the Vive or a 2.0 product, but this is a nice price.
Totally get it, I'm glad I did. It's so crazy when I'm doing my simulators. Hard to read some of the guages and dials but with the VR zoom it's possible. Robo recall, lone echo are two games you should experience first.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Totally get it, I'm glad I did. It's so crazy when I'm doing my simulators. Hard to read some of the guages and dials but with the VR zoom it's possible. Robo recall, lone echo are two games you should experience first.
Increase the supper sampling anti aliasing. It will render the actual image larger, thus allowing you to move your head around to 'fill in the gaps' in the text that can't be filled when rendering the seen at display resolutions.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
HP made a VR backpack for on-the-job training:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/01/hp-vr-backpack-for-pros/

I know we understand this, and I know this system makes sense in reference to how we use computers, VR, and simulation, but just take a step back for a moment...a tech company created a freaking virtual reality system for OTJ! We're living in the future, people! :D

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Was a pretty pricey month with the Rift, G29 and Obutto cockpit

Daaaaaaang! NICE man! I really want to build a HOTAS/wheel/etc. setup but don't have the room for it atm. Planning on moving in the next year to a bigger place so I can have a better sim + roomscale experience haha.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
For those of you who want to fly, but don't want a full detailed simulator (i.e. you want a fun arcade-style flying game), I just bought a really awesome game called Ultrawings:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/639130/Ultrawings/

$25 & well worth the money! The game was made for VR controls & works surprisingly well! Here's how it works on the Vive:

1. Side squeeze = recenter, which is really nice for adjusting your seating position. Make sure you SIT DOWN to play. I made the mistake of standing initially & almost fell over when I banked the plane lol. You can play sitting down on the floor, but a chair is more comfortable.

2. Triggers are grab. You start out training in an ultralight airplane; the throttle is on the left and the stick is in the middle. Some controls also require grabbing instead of finger-poking (they'll walk you through in the startup guide).

3. The touchpad is a combination clicker. Left & right is for rudder (either controller), center is to point your finger (like to push the ignition button or flip a switch...note that the ignition button is a bit finicky & can take a few tries to align your finger correctly so you don't "push through" it). Up is to brake (or maybe it's the bottom, but I think it's top lol...I'll have to go back & play some more).

I recommend turning off the music completely (at least initially) & turning up the sound effects so you can hear the guide's voice, the engine, the wind noise, the brakes, etc. When you're at the laptop, turn to your left and you will see the stereo to adjust the knobs.

The graphics are cartoony, but the game still has a bit of a sim feel, so the first five minutes or so you definitely get the "ahhh!" feeling when you bank & look out the side haha. You can adjust the cockpit for different comfort modes (I take it all off, lemme feel myself flying!) and do sim or arcade controls. Once you go through flight school for basic training, you can do free-flight mode or do missions. You can get a couple extra airplanes, plus shoot from the airplane or from a handgun (balloons - see the video on the Steam page), take pictures, etc. So there are missions & stuff to do.

They have been doing regular updates & just added a couple new missions a few days ago. If you want an "easy" airplane game (no HOTAS required) that is tuned specifically for VR, this is WAY fun! I literally yelled "AHHHHH HAHAHA!" more than once when I was playing lol.

Reactions: RockinZ28

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

imo the next big leap for VR will be the resolution. Adding Retina-quality screens to the HMD will be a game-changer not just for things like gauges, but also for stuff like Remote Desktop. Intel is already coming out with a better wireless system to compete with TPcast, and other than that, I don't think I really have any complaints. Just get rid of the pixels, man! The tracking is already pretty much perfect (at least on the Vive), and the upcoming knuckle controllers & stuff will add a new dimension to how we interact with VR.

I was just playing Ultrawings & was really wishing I had those leg controllers they were showing off a few months ago, so that I could move my feet for the rudder pedals instead of using the touchpad (but without having to have a physical HOTAS pedal setup). And I do like my VirZoom VR bike; I was hoping the Virtuix omni-treadmill would make more headway, but they're looking like they're going the commercial-only route, so I think just more controller options + wireless will really be the evolution of consumer VR, aside from the resolution enhancement.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
imo the next big leap for VR will be the resolution. Adding Retina-quality screens to the HMD will be a game-changer not just for things like gauges, but also for stuff like Remote Desktop. Intel is already coming out with a better wireless system to compete with TPcast, and other than that, I don't think I really have any complaints. Just get rid of the pixels, man! The tracking is already pretty much perfect (at least on the Vive), and the upcoming knuckle controllers & stuff will add a new dimension to how we interact with VR.

I was just playing Ultrawings & was really wishing I had those leg controllers they were showing off a few months ago, so that I could move my feet for the rudder pedals instead of using the touchpad (but without having to have a physical HOTAS pedal setup). And I do like my VirZoom VR bike; I was hoping the Virtuix omni-treadmill would make more headway, but they're looking like they're going the commercial-only route, so I think just more controller options + wireless will really be the evolution of consumer VR, aside from the resolution enhancement.
Higher resolution would help completely in DCS simulator. I was trying to do a zero visibility landing in the mirage 2000c only using instruments and it was tough because I couldn't see the instruments very well unless I zoomed in. No issues with zooming but you just need a good hotas so that you aren't making mistakes while trying to see what you should be looking at.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I haven't seen the current VR, but I like high resolution and it's a reason I was waiting to buy next-gen.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I haven't seen the current VR, but I like high resolution and it's a reason I was waiting to buy next-gen.

The TL;DR is that it's very good, but you can see the pixels. I've heard the PSVR does a good job of eliminating the screen-door effect, and when you're playing, at least on the Vive, you tend not to notice it once you're in the game (most games are cartoony anyway, so it's like getting mad at Mario NES for being blocky lol), but that's the one area it could really stand to use an improvement. iirc the devs said 8K x 8K would be like eyeball-level of resolution for realism (separately from GPU rendering of the quality of the graphics, of course).

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Daaaaaaang! NICE man! I really want to build a HOTAS/wheel/etc. setup but don't have the room for it atm. Planning on moving in the next year to a bigger place so I can have a better sim + roomscale experience haha.

Yeah really missing my basement now. About 1,300 sqft of space. Only have maybe 200 in this apartment's 2nd bedroom.

It's extremely fun and offers some amazing experiences I've only just begun to delve in to, but yes the resolution and screen door effect are going to be obvious, at least if you have good vision. That said tho, I haven't even played a game on my 4k OLED since getting the Rift :D.

If they can double the res for gen 2, think that might make it good enough to where you're not constantly noticing the gen 1 display's shortcomings in that regard.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Increase the supper sampling anti aliasing. It will render the actual image larger, thus allowing you to move your head around to 'fill in the gaps' in the text that can't be filled when rendering the seen at display resolutions.
Yea I have the super sampling to 2.0 and it's pretty visible now but still a bit blurry. No issue though because VR zoom works fine for switching dials.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yea I have the super sampling to 2.0 and it's pretty visible now but still a bit blurry. No issue though because VR zoom works fine for switching dials.

Even some games with more simple graphics struggle with this...Ultrawings is great, but pushing the ignition button with your pointer finger can take like five or ten tries sometimes because the hitbox isn't super accurate, so you have to line it up just right. I still don't know why HTC hasn't bought out Leap Motion for their finger controllers because they are amazingly good...

Mar 11, 2004
The HP and Acer Windows headsets apparently are rolling out (seems like they've already been sold out, at least on Microsoft's website, but they aren't just pre-orders any more). Will be interesting to hear how well they work, especially the inside-out tracking. Unfortunately they'll be kinda half-baked (I think right now, you have to put Windows into Developer Mode or something just for them to work, that might just be for Windows Holographic though and its supposed to change with the Fall Creators update), and game support will likely be quite lacking I'm sure. But they will hopefully push the base level support for VR in Windows, and push for non-controller focused input support.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Got all my new my shit set up. Was a pretty pricey month with the Rift, G29 and Obutto cockpit, but damn it's quite fun :D.

36257200926_1b18327d11_b.jpg

Nice set up dude. I have an Obutto cockpit as well. Mine looks a little different from yours though and has a stand for a 55" LCD. That TV looks like the one I have on my desk as well. Mine is a Samsung KS8500.

Back on topic...I recently ran extensions for my Rift to get it to the other side of the room where there is more space. 15 and 16 foot extensions USB & HDMI. Works amazing! Now I can play room scale games without punching the wall, stereo, desk....lol

Reactions: RockinZ28 and Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
* Despite the shortcomings, some things blew me away, and my absolute favorite is this "Senza Peso" "short opera" experience, it's incredible and for me totally symbolizes what VR is about and the potential it has.

Quoting this because it popped up in my search ^. @flexy - also check out La Peri: Firebird ($7) if you haven't already:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/436490/Firebird__La_Peri/

So I don't remember downloading this free app at all, but somehow it showed up in my library & turned out to be pretty cool: Senza Peso: A Mini Opera

http://store.steampowered.com/app/496190/Senza_Peso/

Apparently it's an enhanced re-release of a 2014 VR experience:

http://blog.kiteandlightning.la/senza-peso-new-virtual-reality-experience-short-film/

It's basically a trip to the afterlife. It's actually pretty cool & worth a watch. Graphics are a bit dated at this point, but the experience holds up thanks to the music and fun graphics & special effects.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Nice set up dude. I have an Obutto cockpit as well. Mine looks a little different from yours though and has a stand for a 55" LCD. That TV looks like the one I have on my desk as well. Mine is a Samsung KS8500.

Back on topic...I recently ran extensions for my Rift to get it to the other side of the room where there is more space. 15 and 16 foot extensions USB & HDMI. Works amazing! Now I can play room scale games without punching the wall, stereo, desk....lol
Sweet. Yeah I just didn't install the monitor stand. Love all the extras the Obutto comes with stock, way better than the Playseat I sold before moving earlier this year. Just wish the Obutto had holes to screw mount various wheels/pedals like the Playseat. Have the LG 55" C6 OLED, still awes me every day.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Well I'm finally in, got the Oculus Touch bundle yesterday. I haven't had much time with it yet but I've done the Touch tutorial, Toy Box and a little VR Minecraft (Windows 10 version). It sounds like I need to install Vivecraft for better Minecraft VR. I've got to figure out what other software to get, but I'll try out the rest of the Oculus freebies first. So far I'm really pleased and impressed with it.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Well I'm finally in, got the Oculus Touch bundle yesterday. I haven't had much time with it yet but I've done the Touch tutorial, Toy Box and a little VR Minecraft (Windows 10 version). It sounds like I need to install Vivecraft for better Minecraft VR. I've got to figure out what other software to get, but I'll try out the rest of the Oculus freebies first. So far I'm really pleased and impressed with it.

Vivecraft is pretty trippy, especially with Roomscale support. Kind of reminds me in HHGTTG when they turn into sofas & are living in that weird dimension for a hot minute...your brain just starts to think that the blocks are reality, it's a very strange effect lol.

Also, they added Jump Boots inspired by Climbey (try Climbey if you haven't yet!), so you can spiderman around verticals if you want!

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Quoting this because it popped up in my search ^. @flexy - also check out La Peri: Firebird ($7) if you haven't already:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/436490/Firebird__La_Peri/

So I don't remember downloading this free app at all, but somehow it showed up in my library & turned out to be pretty cool: Senza Peso: A Mini Opera

http://store.steampowered.com/app/496190/Senza_Peso/

Apparently it's an enhanced re-release of a 2014 VR experience:

http://blog.kiteandlightning.la/senza-peso-new-virtual-reality-experience-short-film/

It's basically a trip to the afterlife. It's actually pretty cool & worth a watch. Graphics are a bit dated at this point, but the experience holds up thanks to the music and fun graphics & special effects.

Oh wow..this thread is so old! SO MUCH has changed since I got my 1st Rift back in October. Oculus REALLY churned out lots of top AAA titles now, there is soooo much to play and to see now, including free aps, experiences, demos etc.

By the way my Rift broke about 8 months in, went back, got reimbursed by seller, got new one (the new Rift & Touch Bundle), had a display defect, is now also going back to retailer, expecting new stock in 8/15. Pretty pissed, so I am not having a Rift for quite some time now. Getting jittery now really without VR....

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Oh wow..this thread is so old! SO MUCH has changed since I got my 1st Rift back in October. Oculus REALLY churned out lots of top AAA titles now, there is soooo much to play and to see now, including free aps, experiences, demos etc.

By the way my Rift broke about 8 months in, went back, got reimbursed by seller, got new one (the new Rift & Touch Bundle), had a display defect, is now also going back to retailer, expecting new stock in 8/15. Pretty pissed, so I am not having a Rift for quite some time now. Getting jittery now really without VR....

Ouch, that stinks!

What AAA titles are you looking into? I need to jump into a full game soon...

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Robo recall or lone echo. Although lone echo makes me pretty sick.

Ah yeah, both of those are my list...Lone Echo looks amaaaaaaaaazing. ADR1FT is one of the few games that made me sick though, so I'm sure I'll be feeling it in LE too. Man, doing a weightless somersault in ADR1FT...insta-yak lol.