General VR discussion thread

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I believe it increases the number of pixels displayed in the view which makes things a little clearer when it comes to reading and viewing instruments, dials, labels, etc.

Apparently 2.5 looks great but is not very playable in some games like the flight simulator I will be using it for. It takes a bug performance hit so most people use a range from 1.5-2.0 and lower some graphics settings like msaa and shadows to get smoother gameplay and better visuals on instruments.
Actually no, that's not correct. See my edited post for details.

Essentially, it increases the resolution of the rendered image BEFORE it warps and interpolates it for the headset's screen and lenses. Since the transform is lossy, a higher input resolution means you're starting with more data to begin with, so the loss may be less perceivable.

But in the end, the resolution on the display does not change. So basically, if you run a pixel density of 2, that's twice as many pixels in each axis, so it's really four times the amount of rendering, all for a barely noticeable improvement. It might be worth it for some specific titles, but for a long term solution, it's not sustainable.

What we really need is higher resolution displays in the HMDs. For now, I'd say stick to the standard pixel density and enjoy the platform as it is, which is a first generation product. I'm sure gen 2 will introduce much higher resolution displays.

If we have video cards pushing 2x pixel density now, then we have the computing power for four times the resolution of the Rift and Vive. The limiting factor are the displays and optics. That's where you'll get your order of magnitude improvement.

I used to work in a different, but related field to VR. Many years ago. Haha! It had more to do with 3D capture and camera networks than VR, but the concepts are nearly identical. I worked on stuff very similar to how the Oculus's Constellation system with multiple sensors (they're cameras) work, as well as projected light pattern technology, similar to how the Kinect works. :)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Oh that's a way better explanation thanks!

Pd of 1.0 in DCS a-10c does not allow you to clearly read the flight instruments and since it's a fully clickable cockpit, this is important so that's why most people who use this sim increase pd to 1.5 or 2.0.

I'll mess around with mine soon. Should be here Wednesday.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Isn't it just the same thing as super sampling (rendering at a higher resolution and scaling down)... except maybe without the explicit purpose to reduce jagged edges?

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Don't really notice anything with increasing super sampling on the Rift. The SDE is just to prominent for me, and nothing will take that away besides upgraded panels. Pretty much knew this going in, and why I didn't want to spend the $600+ it had been.

That said, it's still freaking awesome to play in VR with these early models.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
What happens is that when you are immersed in a world the existence of jagged lines becomes immersion breaking. The Vive defaults to a super sampling anti aliasing (SSAA) of 1.4; In addition to this I have mine running at 1.8. I could go as high as 3 for some games, but there's major diminishing returns after 1.6.

Check out things where there are text you need to read - for me SSAA made a useful difference in dealing with Bridge Crew.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Just got the head strap for the vive, as per recommendations from this thread:

Freaking amazing! Everything is comfortable, and I no longer have to worry about it 'sliding' when bending over. Instant adjust too - fast and much less awkward transfer between the kids and wife and myself.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I just got Superhot VR. Holy smokes! The game had me contorting, ducking, crawling, even on my tippy toes! What a neat gameplay mechanic. This is seriously one of the coolest games I've ever played. Totally worth the $25. I got it on Steam.

Anyway. Fruit Ninja took my money, too. It's mildly entertaining; nothing amazing, but it's something simple I can let beginners play to get a feel for VR. Also got it on Steam.

Lone Echo (pre-order) also got my money. New gameplay mechanic in space? Sign me up. I love Ender's Game, puzzles, and "space stuff." Can't wait! It's just a few days away. I got this one on the Oculus Home store.

While I do have an Oculus Rift, I'm trying to buy everything on Steam, if available. I'd like to avoid as much lock-in as possible. The only annoyance I can't find a workaround for is that games that have Oculus support, including games that are available in the Oculus Home store, still show the Vive style controllers in-game.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Did anyone who ordered on Amazon last week get any shipping notification? My order says expected to ship July 19 and expected arrival July 19-21.

I don't think this is correct. We may be stuck until August like some of the ones you try to buy now, have ship dates up to mid August.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea I didn't see any I would want to try. You get 7 free ones upon setup but I'm sure you can find better titles from steam or the occulus home software.

Reactions: slugg

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Man, I got Knockout League during the sale and it is great. It is basically Mike Tysons Punchout in VR. Man it is exausting though, I come out drenched and wore out needing a shower after I'm done.

Reactions: RockinZ28

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Thanks for the input on my link. I've looked over the page again and again and nothing really appealed to me, other VR Roller Coaster. And the reviews of that have been negative. Now, Knockout League looks more like my kind of game - if you buy from the Oculus site, are you tied to them or can you use the key on Steam?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks for the input on my link. I've looked over the page again and again and nothing really appealed to me, other VR Roller Coaster. And the reviews of that have been negative. Now, Knockout League looks more like my kind of game - if you buy from the Oculus site, are you tied to them or can you use the key on Steam?

If you buy from Oculus you are tied to their store. Some devs will give Steam keys as well though (you have to ask them though, i don't know if these particular people do).

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I just got my third sensor in the mail today. It's a serious pain in the butt to set up; it complains about distances even more than setting it up for two sensors. Lots and lots of tweaking to make it work nicely in my room.

But!

360 degree Robo Recall is PHENOMENAL! The immersion is just incredible! I really, really got into it. I worked up quite a sweat! I can't wait for Lone Echo!

Even some of the more relaxed games, like The Lab, are much better when you have 360 degree tracking. No need to do the 90 degree turn by hitting a button. Just turn like your normally would. It's seriously amazing.

If you don't have a third sensor for your Rift, head over to Oculus's site and buy one. Now. Thank me later. ;)

Reactions: RockinZ28

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Tried Pinball FX2 VR tonight, and damn it is pretty f'ing sweet. So much better than playing on a flatscreen, even if you rotate it to portrait. All the scenery is amazing too, hope they make & convert more tables soon.

Steam version is kinda wonky with the buttons on Touch tho, but usable. Oculus store version works perfectly apparently, but trying not to buy anything tied to Oculus/FB.

I just got my third sensor in the mail today. It's a serious pain in the butt to set up; it complains about distances even more than setting it up for two sensors. Lots and lots of tweaking to make it work nicely in my room.

But!

360 degree Robo Recall is PHENOMENAL! The immersion is just incredible! I really, really got into it. I worked up quite a sweat! I can't wait for Lone Echo!

Even some of the more relaxed games, like The Lab, are much better when you have 360 degree tracking. No need to do the 90 degree turn by hitting a button. Just turn like your normally would. It's seriously amazing.

If you don't have a third sensor for your Rift, head over to Oculus's site and buy one. Now. Thank me later. ;)

Nice. Fuck it, just ordered one. Already spent like $1300 in the last week on VR/gaming shit, what's another $60.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I was thinking about a third sensor but I'm gonna see how it does with two sensors at my desk first. I don't have enough room where I'll be using it to plug in a third sensor in the back and then run the wire to my PC.

I'm mostly going to use the rift for my flight sim. If I had more room I'd get one for sure. But the bed is in the middle of my room so it's going to make it a pain.

Also odd that they are saying do not expect new tech.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-dont-hold-breath-new-rift-tech-soon/

Last edited:

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Been playing with the Rift a bit and have enjoyed it. The Oculus tray tool is a must have. Bumped the sampling up to 1.4 and it looks so much better.

I've been trying out Alien Isolation with the MotherVR mod. It's simple to set up, just download the file and take the dxgi.dll and drop in the Alien Isolation folder and off you go...

https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases/

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Been playing with the Rift a bit and have enjoyed it. The Oculus tray tool is a must have. Bumped the sampling up to 1.4 and it looks so much better.

I've been trying out Alien Isolation with the MotherVR mod. It's simple to set up, just download the file and take the dxgi.dll and drop in the Alien Isolation folder and off you go...

https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases/

I tried it last night but it just crashes on me after a few moments in the game. It is really surreal for the few moments I was inside the ship though.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Got mine Saturday finally. Flying in this thing is absolutely jaw dropping. It's as if I'm in the freaking plane!

Robo recall is a blast too, what a fun game. Lone echo is pretty amazing too although I doubt I'll get far in that game at all. I kept getting sick twice each time for an hour.

The movement is similar to space walking and it's difficult because you are always floating. Gotta use your surroundings to push yourself off. It's so odd, I almost fell over backwards at one point. You also have to constantly turn your body to face where you want to go and it's really disorienting. But overall it's an amazing game from what I can tell.

Any other recommendations? Gonna pick up elite dangerous and was thinking about getting I expect you to die but I hear it's very short and not worth the $25 for only 6 missions.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I tried it last night but it just crashes on me after a few moments in the game. It is really surreal for the few moments I was inside the ship though.

I've had a little luck running it. It's unsettling using a computer and the view zooms in a inch from the screen, other than that, it's really cool. What I've been enjoying is the Doom 3 BFG VR mod. Oh, it's so good and has Touch controller support. Robo Recall is amazing.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Got mine Saturday finally. Flying in this thing is absolutely jaw dropping. It's as if I'm in the freaking plane!

Robo recall is a blast too, what a fun game. Lone echo is pretty amazing too although I doubt I'll get far in that game at all. I kept getting sick twice each time for an hour.

The movement is similar to space walking and it's difficult because you are always floating. Gotta use your surroundings to push yourself off. It's so odd, I almost fell over backwards at one point. You also have to constantly turn your body to face where you want to go and it's really disorienting. But overall it's an amazing game from what I can tell.

Any other recommendations? Gonna pick up elite dangerous and was thinking about getting I expect you to die but I hear it's very short and not worth the $25 for only 6 missions.

Rec Room for sure (it's free). Most pay things are going to be pricier than they are worth though

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Got all my new my shit set up. Was a pretty pricey month with the Rift, G29 and Obutto cockpit, but damn it's quite fun :D.

36257200926_1b18327d11_b.jpg