General VR discussion thread

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I see all that stuff, but it doesn't really bother me. I barely notice SDE except in certain circumstances (usually grey backgrounds). The only thing that REALLY annoys me is god rays. Small focus point is a near second annoyance. Constantly have to adjust because everything gets shifted and blurry.

I think making text readable is easier than people realize. There just needs to be some sort of upscaler when outputting to VR. Text can be made readable without it being huge.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I see all that stuff, but it doesn't really bother me. I barely notice SDE except in certain circumstances (usually grey backgrounds). The only thing that REALLY annoys me is god rays. Small focus point is a near second annoyance. Constantly have to adjust because everything gets shifted and blurry.

I think making text readable is easier than people realize. There just needs to be some sort of upscaler when outputting to VR. Text can be made readable without it being huge.
Hi.

I found taking super sampling anti-aliasing to 2.5x made the pill bottle in A Room With A Chair readable.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
I did notice chromatic abberations in my Vive but when I "adjusted" the rendermultitarget multiplier thingy, or whatever that was, to 2.0, I rarely notice them not to mention the far more crispier image I get on everything.

pj-

May 5, 2015
I did notice chromatic abberations in my Vive but when I "adjusted" the rendermultitarget multiplier thingy, or whatever that was, to 2.0, I rarely notice them not to mention the far more crispier image I get on everything.

No way you are maintaining 90fps with a 1070 and 2.0 multiplier. A Titan XP can't handle that in most games.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I want to note that somone on r/Vive was having a lot of tracking problems because he never removed the protective plastic on his light houses

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
If you're trying to fly in VR... https://flyinside-fsx.com/

Yes I was deliberately NOT wanting to "get into the hassles of setting up FSX" anymore, mainly because I wanted to wait for Xplane 11 but the Flyinside for XP 11 seems to be in a closed beta right now, so it's not public ally available yet. (And native VR functionalty for XP11 isn't working yet either).

Anyway so I DID go through the hassles setting up Prepar3D + Orbx, Orbx Vector, Orbx Global, Rex and various planes etc, I hardly had time to actually fly yet...but it looks amazing of course. And now I am pretty much out of HD space and need one more SSD. Prepar3D although decent for now also shows its age, for example it's just 32bit app etc

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Hey all - I managed to snag a set of touch controllers from a local store the other day. Tried them out last night and had a blast. They really do make a huge difference and I like them SO MUCH MORE than the Vive controllers. Not that the vive controllers are bad . . . they aren't. I have just never been able to forget they were "there." For me, immersion is the biggest component of the VR experience. Anything that detracts from it is a huge negative. That said, while I can still tell that I am using controllers with both systems, the touch controllers feel so much more natural and intuitive, and they are small and light enough that I usually forget they are even there.

That said, I have decided that I am going to keep the oculus and sell my Vive.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
So I passed by a video of this PS4 VR game, RIGS Mechanized Combat League, looked pretty cool. But it's PS4; does PC have anything like this?

And also...will the control schemes of VR be good enough to take advantage of VR? That is, for example...whether a mech with multiple gun arms, or infantry with 2 pistols, will players be to shoot one in one direction and the other in some other direction? Can't really do that with current control schemes.

Eventually won't we need foot pedals and such for, for example, tanks? Won't this also somewhat lend itself to advancing the multi-crew idea, which currently games like Battlefield avoid requiring?

And what about sandbox? that is, right now, a game like Battlefield, you can have a rifle equipped, you can switch to your pistol or whatever. But if a game is designed to be truly sandbox, as VR seems to lend itself to, you would be able to pick up those 2 pistols. Or anything really, the idea of fixed classes seems like it doesn't jive with VR. Am I wrong?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm still trying to hold out for the GTX1080 Ti, although I'm testing this little Zotac EN1070 unit & it's really nice to have a compact machine. I'd love to get the EN1080 model, but not for $2,000:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173143

That thing looks pretty nifty... the EN1070 not the 1080! How loud would you say it gets during gaming? I have a 1060-equipped machine in my living room, but it's in your usual large case. So, paring it down to the more WAF-friendly EN1070 size doesn't seem like a bad idea. :p (I'd probably consider just getting the 1060 variant though. It only does 1080p gaming anyway.)

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The issue i was trying to point out is that it is a "VR" laptop, but a 1060 just doesn't cut it long term for VR.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
That thing looks pretty nifty... the EN1070 not the 1080! How loud would you say it gets during gaming? I have a 1060-equipped machine in my living room, but it's in your usual large case. So, paring it down to the more WAF-friendly EN1070 size doesn't seem like a bad idea. :p (I'd probably consider just getting the 1060 variant though. It only does 1080p gaming anyway.)

It's surprisingly quiet. I'll have time to run some more VR tests this weekend & will let you know. My previous rig was a noisy loaner & I can tell you there's a BIG noise reduction in my living room.

Biggest catch is that the EN1070 has a non-hyperthreaded i5 (but it does have turbo!). Depending on how well it plays out with my Vive, I may settle on an EN1070 as my permanent HTPC/VR rig.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The issue i was trying to point out is that it is a "VR" laptop, but a 1060 just doesn't cut it long term for VR.

I think it depends a lot on what you want to play. The simpler VR games will be fine with the 1060 (especially since the laptop variants aren't almost a model or two weaker like previous M-variants), but the fancier, graphically intense games may have problems down the road.

It's surprisingly quiet. I'll have time to run some more VR tests this weekend & will let you know. My previous rig was a noisy loaner & I can tell you there's a BIG noise reduction in my living room.

Biggest catch is that the EN1070 has a non-hyperthreaded i5 (but it does have turbo!). Depending on how well it plays out with my Vive, I may settle on an EN1070 as my permanent HTPC/VR rig.

Hm, that definitely sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind shrinking down my overall footprint in my living room. Although, I find it kind of amusing, because I've made a lot of remarks about how "I can't tell the difference" when I'm using my GSync-equipped monitor, but whoooo boy... when I tried playing Overwatch on my TV with my 1060-equipped PC, you could definitely see the lines. :p In other words, I can get a smaller PC and such all I want, it'll still have that same problem!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Hm, that definitely sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind shrinking down my overall footprint in my living room. Although, I find it kind of amusing, because I've made a lot of remarks about how "I can't tell the difference" when I'm using my GSync-equipped monitor, but whoooo boy... when I tried playing Overwatch on my TV with my 1060-equipped PC, you could definitely see the lines. :p In other words, I can get a smaller PC and such all I want, it'll still have that same problem!

Ooh dang, I hadn't thought about that. I just got a 65" TCL (surprisingly good picture for a non-namebrand!) but haven't tried playing anything on it yet. No G-sync TV's out either...

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Sorry for some over-enthusiasm here, but...

If there is ANYTHING just made for VR it's flight sims. Yes, stating the obvious...

Seriously *YOU ARE* in the cockpit, say, of a 737. (I am using Perpar3D right now with a ton of addons and sceneries)
You are literally looking out the window from your seat, the buttons, levers etc. look real and you want to touch them. (This reminds me, I still urgently want to get my Touch)
You start the engine and start the plane. There is rain outside, maybe some fog, lightning etc.
You get the 737 up to speed and the feeling is ALMOST like this typical feeling of incredible speed at take-off in a real plane, minus the forces of course.
You lift off etc.
You go up through the clouds
It's absolutely...breath taking...words cannot describe it. You ARE in the fricking plane.
It's not just that "you think you are there" (this doesn't describe it imho) because I could apply this to a normal game as well. I mean you really ARE there except that you can't touch things, it's so incredible real.

If someone still never tried VR...let me explain it this way: The difference is like seeing a photo album of a vacation in Hawaii, or actually BEING in Hawaii on vacation. There is not even a debate what "quantum leap" in experience this is. Now playing this in 2D just seems so poor and pathetic.

Edit: Being in the plane is so real that when I first "played" this I really expected the small door in the back opening and a flight attendant coming in the cockpit serving coffee. It's so awesome.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Sorry for some over-enthusiasm here, but...

If there is ANYTHING just made for VR it's flight sims. Yes, stating the obvious...

Seriously *YOU ARE* in the cockpit, say, of a 737. (I am using Perpar3D right now with a ton of addons and sceneries)
You are literally looking out the window from your seat, the buttons, levers etc. look real and you want to touch them. (This reminds me, I still urgently want to get my Touch)
You start the engine and start the plane. There is rain outside, maybe some fog, lightning etc.
You get the 737 up to speed and the feeling is ALMOST like this typical feeling of incredible speed at take-off in a real plane, minus the forces of course.
You lift off etc.
You go up through the clouds
It's absolutely...breath taking...words cannot describe it. You ARE in the fricking plane.
It's not just that "you think you are there" (this doesn't describe it imho) because I could apply this to a normal game as well. I mean you really ARE there except that you can't touch things, it's so incredible real.

If someone still never tried VR...let me explain it this way: The difference is like seeing a photo album of a vacation in Hawaii, or actually BEING in Hawaii on vacation. There is not even a debate what "quantum leap" in experience this is. Now playing this in 2D just seems so poor and pathetic.

Edit: Being in the plane is so real that when I first "played" this I really expected the small door in the back opening and a flight attendant coming in the cockpit serving coffee. It's so awesome.

If you liked that, you should get yourself a Leap Motion controller & HMD mounting bracket...check it out with FlyInside:

Also if you really get into it, you might want to look into adding bass shakers to your chair. Dayton has some cheap transducers on Amazon that you can get creative with for the bottom & back of a desk chair!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've thought about trying this, but aside from sort of learning how to fly a plane, flight sims were something i could never get into.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I've thought about trying this, but aside from sort of learning how to fly a plane, flight sims were something i could never get into.

Once I started working on my license I found them more interesting. It's nice to just get to go up there, work the avionics and controls, and practice for a while on a whim. It's a bit of an ordeal to schedule a plane for rent and get to the airport for a flight.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
You can also try War Thunder if you want to fly around some... I'd recommend using a joystick vs mouse/kb though. Makes your brain understand things a little better.

And Sabre... it is nice to use a sim though for VFR planning. I flew my cross country flights in FSX before doing the real thing just to make sure my landmarks & whatnot were accurate. And on those days when you miss real training due to weather you can still do something in the sim. Just make sure you're practicing things you've already been taught how to do rather than forming bad habits practicing things you *think* you know how to do.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The talk made me finally get my leap motion out and set it up. Pretty nifty.

I still need to set mine up with the Vive. I did have a few issues at first setting mine up, but I found out that it really does not like incandescent lighting. Swapping to an LED bulb made things a ton easier, but I didn't have my VR mount at that point.

Ooh dang, I hadn't thought about that. I just got a 65" TCL (surprisingly good picture for a non-namebrand!) but haven't tried playing anything on it yet. No G-sync TV's out either...

Yep! But that may also be some weird picture setting that I need to adjust. I mostly use my TV for video and such, so I don't worry about settings oriented toward computer gaming. Of course, consoles are fine because they stick to framerate ratios, but that kind of thing is a no-no for a FPS game like Overwatch where more frames is king! (Of course, I ignore that plenty because I like purdy.)

Also, I don't know if my TV's lag is good or not. It's a Vizio M-series, which is their second highest tier behind the P-series, but it also has passive 3D capability. Passive 3D requires "extra junk" (from LG) to make it work, so I don't know how the TV handles that even when I'm not using it. On a side note, passive 3D + manual top-bottom + L-L and R-R glasses can be quite a fun full-screen experience!