General VR discussion thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Helpful!

By the way, I don't see myself as being in some "extraordinarily unusual" space, I am just a typical PC guy with a monitor and whatever crap on his desk, my PC at the floor, like probably a majority of folks out there.

Where and how does the Rift camera need to be placed?

there are plenty of pics of the constellation system cam.

the only spec ive seen is 100deg H x 70deg V. at 1m dist that subtends a span of 1.5 m. if the camera is closer than that the fov gets smaller. how wide your arms are could require you to place the camera somewhere not on your desk, and so far i havent seen any mention of mounting kits or brackets that would suggest plans for a wall mount.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
there are plenty of pics of the constellation system cam.

the only spec ive seen is 100deg H x 70deg V. at 1m dist that subtends a span of 1.5 m. if the camera is closer than that the fov gets smaller. how wide your arms are could require you to place the camera somewhere not on your desk, and so far i havent seen any mention of mounting kits or brackets that would suggest plans for a wall mount.

It just needs to be somewhere nearby and I believe more or less facing the visor. Knowing that most people sit close to their monitor, and it's desktop build for the camera, I would say off to the side of the desk or to the side of the monitor is going to be enough.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Playstation VR pre-orders starting at $699 at Best Buy Canada on March 22nd

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/playstation-vr.aspx

why do the controllers look like a hitachi magic wand?

Hitachi-on-Blue-Background-300x182.jpg

PlayStationMove_1.jpg

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I imagine there are more limits on what they can do with the CPU/GPU of a console vs a high end PC. I'm not surprised really. Then again I've already decided that VR isn't something I'm interested in and I am not the target audience.

You try it yet?

When I tried the DK1 I loved the concept and could immediately see how awesome it would be to play games like Skyrim, Forza, American Truck simulator, Star Citizen, Gone Home, etc. I also immediately knew that it would come down the the technology and specs. The screen door effect and refresh rate of the DK1 made it only a proof of concept and not something I'd want to use much, but the idea was extremely solid and got me excited to see these things mature.

That is why I don't think the PSVR is a good device. Compared to the others, the resolution is lower, the refresh rate is lower, and the tracking tech is not as robust. Even the oculus and Vive aren't to where I want to see them yet. In 2-3 years we will truly be seeing the incredible game-changing potential of VR. To get there we need 4K at 90FPS+.

I hope PSVR doesn't harm the tech for the average consumer. I hope they can see how great the concept is and turn that into excitement for the future rather than disappointment in the current device.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Interesting read/review of all 3 systems. Doesn't shine the PSVR in very good light.

http://www.gizmag.com/best-vr-headset-gdc-2016/42377/

All nice but pretty much what I think as well.

For me, I would not be overly impressed going to GDC, testing, say, the HTC Vive in an showroom they made extra for it...and then base my decision based on that. It doesn't help me when the Vive might give awesome immersion to some tester in this room, knowing that I couldn't do this at home in front of my PC due to space limitations.

Motion controllers would be somewhat important to me tho.

By the way...the three or four months waiting time to get a Rift sort-of sucks. Why is this? This thing *IS* released, correct me if I am wrong.

Too much demand to fullfill orders in reasonable time? They got bought by fb and have the funds. Why does it take so long for them to produce and to ship??

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
This thing *IS* released, correct me if I am wrong.

It doesn't release officially until next week. The Vive a week after. What you're seeing is the stacking of preorders and how long it's going to take to fulfill them.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You try it yet?

When I tried the DK1 I loved the concept and could immediately see how awesome it would be to play games like Skyrim, Forza, American Truck simulator, Star Citizen, Gone Home, etc. I also immediately knew that it would come down the the technology and specs. The screen door effect and refresh rate of the DK1 made it only a proof of concept and not something I'd want to use much, but the idea was extremely solid and got me excited to see these things mature.

That is why I don't think the PSVR is a good device. Compared to the others, the resolution is lower, the refresh rate is lower, and the tracking tech is not as robust. Even the oculus and Vive aren't to where I want to see them yet. In 2-3 years we will truly be seeing the incredible game-changing potential of VR. To get there we need 4K at 90FPS+.

I hope PSVR doesn't harm the tech for the average consumer. I hope they can see how great the concept is and turn that into excitement for the future rather than disappointment in the current device.

No and it's a non-starter because I don't want to lose my home theater surround system for gaming. Headsets don't sound nearly the same. Unless they want to write some type of software that can send head tracking information to make my speakers play the proper audio in relation to my movement in real time I'm just not interested. Can that even be done just in software? Seems like a lot of data to process at speed.

The audio is as important if not more so to the experience for me.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
No and it's a non-starter because I don't want to lose my home theater surround system for gaming. Headsets don't sound nearly the same. Unless they want to write some type of software that can send head tracking information to make my speakers play the proper audio in relation to my movement in real time I'm just not interested. Can that even be done just in software? Seems like a lot of data to process at speed.

In the Industrial Light & Magic Vive photos, it looked like they were using speakers all around the room instead of headphones.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
You try it yet?

For me, the PSVR '120hz' (or really 60hz with interpolation) is the deal breaker.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005

I have a nice HT setup, but I still play games at my desk sometimes. I saw an interview with an audio engineer and he said he is really excited to work with VR because he is guaranteed to know where the player's ears are at all times. With an HT setup they have to assume your HT is setup correctly, that you are sitting exactly in the spot it was tuned for, and your head is perfectly aligned with the TV. No slouching, no laying down, no leaning on the arm rest, etc or there will be spacial degradation.

I'm thinking if I could do the headphones with the sub activated then I will still get the physical effect of the deeper tones while experiencing the spacial purity of VR audio. Just think about turning your head toward a sound in real life and it changing within the game. Pretty awesome, possibly causing goose bumps, and worth trying IMO.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i tried a 20$ VR headset for android today, and it was pretty fun!

but i can't bring myself buy one :( because it seemed like the features and quality were just too weak. maybe when they get a really good one for 50$ plus a lot of content available then i will get one.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
When you put one on, how far away does the screen look? I'm curious how much black border around your field of vision there is. I read the Star VR will have 210 degree FOV and it fills your peripherals. The OR and Vive will have 110 and PSVR will have 90.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
When you put one on, how far away does the screen look? I'm curious how much black border around your field of vision there is. I read the Star VR will have 210 degree FOV and it fills your peripherals. The OR and Vive will have 110 and PSVR will have 90.

I'm pretty sure it fills your entire visual space. I don't remember seeing any black space even on the DK1.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I'm pretty sure it fills your entire visual space. I don't remember seeing any black space even on the DK1.

It's there. Your brain just tunes it out automatically.

HeXen, it's similar to wearing ski goggles. You have plenty to see with, but you are missing your peripheral vision. That's why StarVR will be so awesome. It will fill everywhere your eyes can see.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
It's there. Your brain just tunes it out automatically.

HeXen, it's similar to wearing ski goggles. You have plenty to see with, but you are missing your peripheral vision. That's why StarVR will be so awesome. It will fill everywhere your eyes can see.

Yeah tbh you don't even notice it once you're in the VR space. My Gear VR just uses my Note 5 for the screen & it's just fine. Ski goggles is a great analogy...your brain automatically adjusts to focus on the content you can see.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
i tried a 20$ VR headset for android today, and it was pretty fun!

but i can't bring myself buy one :( because it seemed like the features and quality were just too weak. maybe when they get a really good one for 50$ plus a lot of content available then i will get one.

Google Cardboard is as basic as you can get; even the Gear VR is a huge step up from that. Like almost a night & day difference in usability & quality. However, like you said, the overall quality & content just aren't there yet. It's in the early-adopter phase right now. I got hooked, so I'm diving in headfirst, bu if you have qualms about it, I'd hold off until the technology improves & the price goes down. Plus, the longer you wait, the more (quality) content will be available!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Aside from seeing the pixels, you don't really notice the screen distance. You're looking into a virtual world...with the head motion, your brain just registers you as inside the VR scene, whether it's the Oculus VR menu or a virtual movie theater or whatever. That's what is cool about watching movies on it...50" TV or 100-foot IMAX screen, doesn't matter because it's like a Holodeck (only catch, again, is the resolution & the pixels...movies are clear, just has the SDE, which I find fatiguing).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Until I try one I'm not sure I completely understand the SDE. It seems as described it should be something you just stop noticing after awhile...

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Until I try one I'm not sure I completely understand the SDE. It seems as described it should be something you just stop noticing after awhile...

Have you ever seen a portable DVD player screen before? It looks like that...yes, the picture is clear, but you can see the vertical pill-shaped colored pixels when you're looking at it. That's how the Gear VR is. It's fine for games & 360 photos (because video games look like video games & 360 photos are hi-res), but if you're watching a 2D movie in Netflix, you can see the pixels, which kills the really fine details in the picture, which gives me a bit of eyestrain. Watching 2D (or flat 3D movies, not 360-3D movies) is really the only time it bothers me.

Eventually, the screens will get to Retina-quality in VR & it won't be an issue. Like, I have a 1080p projector in my bedroom (10' x 10'), which is a pretty small space for a 90" screen at that resolution. Up close, it has SDE (you can see each little square pixel). But sitting or laying in my bed, six to ten feet away from the screen, it's completely unnoticeable because your eyes merge those pixels together into a crystal-clear image. Once they get the resolution up for the headset screens, it should have the same effect...you can sit down in a virtual movie theater & have a really really good-looking quality of video up on the screen.

kaesden

Nov 10, 2015
I'm definitely not buying any VR system until i've tried one, and i'm not aware of anywhere that has demo units near me. Also i'd like to wait and see if this actually develops into an accepted, usable technology and doesn't just disappear a couple years later like 3D monitors/tv's have. The whole idea of VR just seems like another gimmick that won't ever end up being a widely used technology, and a very expensive one at that.