General VR discussion thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Not very hard for a given object, true, but for it to work while free-roaming around the home/business/public would be a massive library and processing feat.

True. I think we probably a decade away from that sort of processing power being easily accessible. But think what you could do now, or the very near future, with something like this in a set environment.

Consider the use for training a new employee at a restaurant how to make anything. Assuming all the restaurants in a chain are all set up the same, so that all the ingredients are in the same place in a station, then it could use visual cues to show them in real time how to put together anything the restaurant makes.

Adding new menu items would be a snap. No training needed. The glasses pulls up the next item to be made from the cue and shows them what to do. No thinking required by the human, just following along with what the glasses show him.

Every job could be minimum wage!

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
True. I think we probably a decade away from that sort of processing power being easily accessible. But think what you could do now, or the very near future, with something like this in a set environment.

Consider the use for training a new employee at a restaurant how to make anything. Assuming all the restaurants in a chain are all set up the same, so that all the ingredients are in the same place in a station, then it could use visual cues to show them in real time how to put together anything the restaurant makes.

Adding new menu items would be a snap. No training needed. The glasses pulls up the next item to be made from the cue and shows them what to do. No thinking required by the human, just following along with what the glasses show him.

Every job could be minimum wage!

Building lego sets!!

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Seriously, do you have any idea how expensive Lego sets are these days?! You could buy an Oculus instead after a few sets! :D

No joke. The wife and I spent $700 on legos a couple years ago to make our Halloween village. :D

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Engadget has a hands-on with the HTC Vive:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/03/a-day-with-the-htc-vive/

Strange to say, the most enveloping VR experience I've had with the Vive so far came from a golf game. Cloudlands: VR Minigolf presents you with a selection of fantastical courses, but what really sells it is the surprisingly accurate motion tracking with the Vive's controller. It was easy to shift between soft and harder swings, more so than any motion-tracked golf game I've seen yet.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
That's what is awesome about the Vive. The tracking is unreal on the controllers and how they're presented to you in game world is absolutely novel. When I tried a demo, someone handed the controllers to me once I had the headset out and I could see them in the game world (floating because someone was holding them). I reached out and my hands grasped them perfectly because they are right where my eyes were told they would be. I can't wait to see this combined with Leap Motion Orion (see example below). I have a Leap Motion on the way right now and I'm super excited for the possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlCGw-0R8g <- What can Orion do on its own
http://i.imgur.com/JsV5i9k.gifv <- Combined with a Vive. The controllers are tethered to his hands and both his hands and controllers are tracked perfectly. Not bad for a first iteration of combining two different technologies.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Guy was annoying, but did make me want a Vive lol. I just don't have an area I can use it. Supposedly my Rift should be shipping in the next few weeks!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Guy was annoying, but did make me want a Vive lol. I just don't have an area I can use it. Supposedly my Rift should be shipping in the next few weeks!

I thought you guys were being a little critical about how annoying he is, but then I watched the video. D: I get the feeling that he's "channeling" Charlie Day's character from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I have read a few articles about the Vive, and they've been generally positive. Ars put their article up yesterday. Although, I still can't seem to find much information on whether my 980M will be good enough to handle it. I don't have the space in my computer room to use the Vive, but I have other unused rooms. I have spare computers, but none of them have dedicated video cards. I'm not keen on buying one at the moment since we're probably 3-5 months out from a new video card release (from both Nvidia and AMD) that is rumored to be "huge". I'd rather buy one of those and "demote" my 980 Ti to VR duty.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Price of both Rift and Vive are a rip off to be honest, this breaks all expectations people had of reasonably priced VR which was promised over and over again.

At least the vive comes bundled with an appropraite controller and doesn't force you to buy the xbox piece of rubbish, that alone is enough to make me pick them over the Rift CV1. I think after everything it's worth waiting for a business to make a 4k model because quite frankly these units are not an appreciable step up from my Rift DK2.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Price of both Rift and Vive are a rip off to be honest, this breaks all expectations people had of reasonably priced VR which was promised over and over again.

At least the vive comes bundled with an appropraite controller and doesn't force you to buy the xbox piece of rubbish, that alone is enough to make me pick them over the Rift CV1. I think after everything it's worth waiting for a business to make a 4k model because quite frankly these units are not an appreciable step up from my Rift DK2.

Consideration of the price is subjective but it 'is' affordable. If anyone thought it was going to be cheap it was just unrealistic. Only way it would be much cheaper is if FB forced their data collection social networking into it to subsidize cost.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Consideration of the price is subjective but it 'is' affordable. If anyone thought it was going to be cheap it was just unrealistic. Only way it would be much cheaper is if FB forced their data collection social networking into it to subsidize cost.

I agree, you have to view VR goggles as a high end monitor. This is right in line with new monitor technology. First gen technology is not for the value conscientious.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I agree, you have to view VR goggles as a high end monitor. This is right in line with new monitor technology. First gen technology is not for the value conscientious.

The thing we all have to realize is that this is bleeding-edge technology - technology that is being marketed to a fairly limited demographic (people who (1) are interested in VR already, (2) have the funds to buy first-gen goggles, (3) can afford a high-end gaming computer, (4) don't mind putting up with a lack of content for awhile, and (5) are OK with not having 100% functionality through glitches, lack of controller hardware, and ongoing development from things like Leap Motion & Virtuix Omni treadmills, where the final, compatible requirements of accessories haven't been completely fleshed out yet). Give it a few years & we'll have 8K wireless headsets that run on commodity hardware.

Personally, this is the first thing since Hackintosh that has gotten me excited about something in the computer world. Been having a blast with my Gear VR & am REALLY excited to get my hands on the new headsets coming out. I'm rarely an early adopter of anything in general, but this is just too much fun to pass up :thumbsup:

xantub

Feb 12, 2014

They're expensive for sure, but not a ripoff.
I prefer the Oculus myself. I see the full room VR experience of the Vive a cool thing to show your guests and make them go 'Cool!' for like 30 minutes, but not for longer gaming sessions.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I see the full room VR experience of the Vive a cool thing to show your guests and make them go 'Cool!' for like 30 minutes, but not for longer gaming sessions.

You haven't tried it then. Budget Cuts is awesome. Plus games like Hover Junkers, Space Pirate trainer, etc will be great to play for a while. Fantastic Contraption makes a great social game if people can watch what you build on a TV or monitor.

In other news, Star Wars Trials for Vive trailer is out.

http://www.roadtovr.com/star-wars-t...vive-full-trailer-is-here/?platform=hootsuite

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hm, I'm kind of tempted to cancel my Rift pre-order and just go with the Vive. It's mostly due to not wanting to spend a ton of money after having to unexpectedly buy tires for my car, which aren't cheap to begin with. :( Anyway, I've just been seeing so much buzz around how well the Vive works with its room tracking and touch controllers that apart from Oculus-only games. So, since I'd keep the Vive pre-order, I don't think I'd be missing anything... until Oculus finally releases its Touch controllers, which won't be until the second half of this year.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Time to wait (again...) and read more reviews/comparisons. The room-tracker as I understand it would be totally worthless for me, I am not planning to run around in the house with a VR kit on. No, thanks.

I also don't have a doubt that for the OR there will be good special controllers out "soon", so this is not a criteria either.

Looking at essential tech specs alone, the two systems otherwise seem equal.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Time to wait (again...) and read more reviews/comparisons. The room-tracker as I understand it would be totally worthless for me, I am not planning to run around in the house with a VR kit on. No, thanks.

You don't "run around in the house with a VR kit on." Your space just needs to be 1.5mx2m at the minimum and no larger than 5mx5m and you can enjoy room scale. It's not about "running around," it's about having the presence that you are somewhere else by allowing natural movement within a space. You don't go far, but enough to feel like you're there.

You should try it before you assume it's not for you.