General VR discussion thread

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I prefer arcadey at this point. There are plenty of sims out there. I've seen many reviews that love Eve Valkyrie but state that you start out fighting bots and it doesn't truly get interesting until you play against other players. The price does sound a bit steep however..but then thats also par for the course these days until steep price drops happen. Sadly, this is the worst part of their own walled off store. They can artificially keep prices inflated, which is probably exactly their plan.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I was in the rift camp initially, but the reviews coming out for the vive are turning me that way a bit I think. The things valve has done with steam to support VR seem quite amazing, and they have a significant catalog of games out already that are designed for VR. The ability of the vive to turn your whole playspace into a holodeck type experience along with the apparently superior hand interaction and motion tracking seem to make it the better product if you're willing to pay a bit more. My only fear is that the oculus might end up with the bigger supported game lineup down the road simply due to the fact that it has gotten a bit more press and there is probably more public awareness of it, not to mention the cost.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
My only fear is that the oculus might end up with the bigger supported game lineup down the road simply due to the fact that it has gotten a bit more press and there is probably more public awareness of it, not to mention the cost.

The HMDs themselves are so similar that the only reason this would happen is if it were artifically created by Oculus throwing money around (and if they were practicing such tactics, would you want to support them?). Valve's more open strategy is paying off for them in that they have more games on Steam that are for VR on their launch day (today) than Oculus did. There's no reason a developer wouldn't support the Vive if they support the Rift.

Their "exclusives" are already starting to whittle down, as a few were recently announced for the Vive as well.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
i'm probably going to wait for vive 2.0, hardware-wise the vive is the better solution the only real weakness being the lack of integrated audio(earbuds dont seem like the optimal solution compared to the rift's built in speakers). hopefully the 2.0 price will be back to a reasonable range and they will have a better audio option.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I was in the rift camp initially, but the reviews coming out for the vive are turning me that way a bit I think. The things valve has done with steam to support VR seem quite amazing, and they have a significant catalog of games out already that are designed for VR. The ability of the vive to turn your whole playspace into a holodeck type experience along with the apparently superior hand interaction and motion tracking seem to make it the better product if you're willing to pay a bit more. My only fear is that the oculus might end up with the bigger supported game lineup down the road simply due to the fact that it has gotten a bit more press and there is probably more public awareness of it, not to mention the cost.

All of the room scale/motion control is temporary. Once Rift's comes out they will be nearly identical. There is a video of someone testing room scale with what the rift has now, and aside from chaperone (which is software and coming) and no controllers yet it works just as good as Vive.

Not trying to sway one or the other, just educating.

As for software support, these are PC's. Someone will make pretty much all things work on both, whether the devs want it or not.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
i'm probably going to wait for vive 2.0, hardware-wise the vive is the better solution the only real weakness being the lack of integrated audio(earbuds dont seem like the optimal solution compared to the rift's built in speakers). hopefully the 2.0 price will be back to a reasonable range and they will have a better audio option.

To some its a weakness, others its a strength. I have headphones that I would rather use over anything included. Unless they make the included audio removable, there will be plenty who prefer it to not have it.

Edit: Also, while cleaning up the man cave for the Vive's pending arrival, I decided to make use of the chalkboard paint the wife used on all the doors in the hallway:

cvX7tvA.jpg

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
To some its a weakness, others its a strength. I have headphones that I would rather use over anything included. Unless they make the included audio removable, there will be plenty who prefer it to not have it.

Edit: Also, while cleaning up the man cave for the Vive's pending arrival, I decided to make use of the chalkboard paint the wife used on all the doors in the hallway:

It's removable. They pop on and off though some say they are pretty good despite looking like cheap 80's headphones. I do like how they are attached, I'm of the crowd that would rather not have to put 2 things on separately like that even if they aren't the most superior in sound or even equal to what I currently have, I'll take a concession just for the convenience of an all in one unit.

I think the next gen is where we'll really see some VR hardware and the StarVR looks very appealing with it's 210 degree FOV. Although I suspect the hard choices for gamers when choosing a VR unit will only get worse and that means people will take sides and defend it to the death because secretly we all want there to be only one really superior model that's a clear cut choice as our greatest fear when choosing such systems is choosing the wrong one, that's why we have this need/desire to find others that agree with our choice.

What's sold me more to the Rift than anything is VorpX, I hear Metro 2033 and some others works amazingly well with it) and I really hate Vive's wands, I'm more interested in gamepad play so not sure how those 2 will be like on Vive. I'm sure it may get VorpX support but I haven't seen anything concrete. And I'm not sure about gamepad play on the Vive....I think the Rift will do until the next gen arrives.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I ask this honestly, but I'm really curious. What is it about playing the same old experiences just with a HMD appeals to you guys? The idea of playing a VR game with a gamepad seems crazy to me. Cockpit games I can understand, but a gamepad? I want a new experience, not the same games with a neat monitor.

Everyone I've shown that SteamVR trailer to (which is few since it was already the buzz at work) has been bubbling over to want to play those. The appeal of a gamepad just seems curious and awkward at that point.

BTW, the Vive is just as fine for seated experiences as the Rift. But, if you're not interested in roomscale at all or included motion control, the Rift is the better buy.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
So far, all the reviews say, sure room scale is awesome, to an extent. The experiences are incomplete and not ready for prime time. Most people at the end of the day just want to sit and play a game. The headset IS what the new experience is. The rest is only going to be niche.

At least until tethering is no longer necessary and the experiences are more than just glorified demos.

Don't get me wrong I expect to be wow'd by moving around in a virtual environment, but I'm realistic enough to know it has limitations and the excitement won't last forever.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I ask this honestly, but I'm really curious. What is it about playing the same old experiences just with a HMD appeals to you guys? The idea of playing a VR game with a gamepad seems crazy to me. Cockpit games I can understand, but a gamepad? I want a new experience, not the same games with a neat monitor.

Everyone I've shown that SteamVR trailer to (which is few since it was already the buzz at work) has been bubbling over to want to play those. The appeal of a gamepad just seems curious and awkward at that point.

BTW, the Vive is just as fine for seated experiences as the Rift. But, if you're not interested in roomscale at all or included motion control, the Rift is the better buy.

I must say that I plan on spending a lot of my VR time sitting. Just the experience of being IN the game world, even if only from the neck up, is enough for me. Of course I'll try out the full room games and the wands and such, but when it comes down to spending some serious time in-game, I'm more than likely going to want to sit and use a controller for much of the time. I like challenging games and I feel like I'll want to be able to sit and just focus on the game to do my best in it. I see myself playing a long RPG with lots of lengthy dungeons and just getting plain tired of having to manually walk over to things with my feet to investigate them. Hopefully I'll be able to use it with games that aren't hamstrung by needing to plan for only a 15x15 (or whatever the area is) space, and still be able to get an interesting experience out of it too.

Since it seems the rift will eventually offer a similar roomscale experience anyway, my interest in the vive is currently based on it's better availability to be honest.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005

There are several reasons for me. Over the last few years gaming has turned from something I did quite often to something I may do 2-3 times a week at night with friends to wind down from the day and chat. During the winter I game a little more, but I often like to have video going on my second monitor. For the most part, that gaming experience is zen-like where my body somewhat disconnects from my cognitive space and it is very relaxing.

That is a case against VR in general for me, however I've tried it and can see VR enhancing some types of games such as the walking-narrative games, driving simulators, space simulators, and some FPS games. In that case, I can still have a relaxing end-of-the-day experience while being more immersed in the world. It also becomes more likely that the games I already like will be enhanced in some way such as the next Elder Scrolls will likely have seated VR support.

With room scale we are talking about a completely different experience that is much more active. I don't see myself coming home from a 10 hour day of manual work and then wanting to stand and walk around for another few hours in a VR world. I'm not sold that there will be big AAA experiences to be had in room scale for many, many years if VR doesn't become a niche feature. I don't see how the game world can be much bigger than the physical space of the room you are in without "zoning or resetting." I can see room scale being really cool for some specific games, but I'm not sure the experience can hold up year after year of game iterations due to the space limitations. What happens in open world games? But those as just nit picks for my reason reason.

The reason why room scale isn't very important to me is because of the reason I play games in the first place is to relax and socialize with friends that live far away.

Perhaps it is also because I live an incredibly active life in real life. I am constantly moving, using tools, figuring out problems, driving, lifting heavy objects, fabricating, etc etc. By the time I get home, I don't wanna use my hands anymore! :D

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Perhaps it is also because I live an incredibly active life in real life. I am constantly moving, using tools, figuring out problems, driving, lifting heavy objects, fabricating, etc etc. By the time I get home, I don't wanna use my hands anymore! :D

I suppose that's down to the individual. I work a similar job (aircraft maintenance) and immediately after a day's work me and four other guys hit the mountain biking trails (had them on the cars all day). I love physical movement and the more I can get the better.

In other news, this best describes r/Vive today:

lead_large.jpg

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It is rather funny given how obnoxious some of the Vive camp is.

The PC camp is a fickle bunch.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I suppose that's down to the individual. I work a similar job (aircraft maintenance) and immediately after a day's work me and four other guys hit the mountain biking trails (had them on the cars all day). I love physical movement and the more I can get the better.

In other news, this best describes r/Vive today:

lead_large.jpg

You have day light after work? Lucky! :D

I usually do the gym either in the morning or after work. I wouldn't have enough time in the day to go mountain biking. Sounds fun.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009

Good 3D stereoscopic perspective and naturally using your head to look around alone is huuuge and so much more than just a neat monitor. Walking around in 15' of space to traverse miles of in game map, not so much. I'm sure it's great for interacting with nearby objects but exploring a map..well you might as well use a gamepad/mouse whatever since you'll still have to use the wands/touch to walk continuously unless you have an omni treadmill or something.

If nothing else, while seated, I can pretend I'm in the game world, bound to an electric wheelchair or something. :sneaky:

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I feel like Vive users are going to feel like these guys after a few weeks of being "let outside"

hqdefault.jpg

but...it's better then Rift, right?

crate1.jpg

Basically saying...the 15ft room will seem very limiting at some point ;)

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
boy that is a bit misleading. When a family unpacks a Vive for the first time, it's not going to be a family experience. Sit and wait for your turn!

I'm super excited for the Vive. I have a good 15x15 room for it. I just need to wait and see how the motion sickness stuff plays out with general population

It's not as they show it, but you can watch them on your monitor while they play. I had a lot of fun watching my daughter play and talking to her about what she was doing, even though I couldn't wait to play myself.

So it can be a family experience in a way.