GeForce Titan coming end of February

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I found this: http://videocardz.com/39143/geforce-titanium-the-allmighty-gk110-based-graphics-card

"Latests reports say that GeForce Titan(ium) might be launched in late February, which would suggest that the GeForce GTX 780 and 770 might arrive right after that. As for the name, let’s assume this would be another Ti branded card, since Titan sounds awkward, so it’s probably the GeForce GTX 780 Ti."

But that's probably just speculation as well. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Certainly like the idea of GTX 780ti, GTX 780 and GTX 770 sku's based on the GK-110 core.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Certainly like the idea of GTX 780ti, GTX 780 and GTX 770 sku's based on the GK-110 core.

Whoa, so this keeps getting more interesting. :) Do you think that the Titanium is the halo part, and nvidia will have a 700 series stack based on the GK110 (and cut down versions of the 110)?

I'd definitely buy a MSI lightning 780 if any GK110 variant allowed custom boards. I'm not so keen on the fact that the titanium may not allow AIBs to create custom designs.. Not to mention, 800$+ GPUs in the past have been poor investments with rapid price depreciation - if there's a "smaller" version of the GK110 with a better price and a custom cooler (like the lightning) i'd be all about it.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Whoa, so this keeps getting more interesting. :) Do you think that the Titanium is the halo part, and nvidia will have a 700 series stack based on the GK110 (and cut down versions of the 110)?

I'd definitely buy a MSI lightning 780 if any GK110 variant allowed custom boards. I'm not so keen on the fact that the titanium may not allow AIBs to create custom designs.. Not to mention, 800$+ GPUs in the past have been poor investments with rapid price depreciation - if there's a "smaller" version of the GK110 with a better price and a custom cooler (like the lightning) i'd be all about it.

This whole situation is probably being blown out of proportion based on the translation of the rumor and/or whoever initially reported it. Nvidia rarely ever launches more than 1 desktop GPU sku at a time, and their highest end SKU's are always restricted to reference designs for the first 8 weeks. This is probably no different. All initial GK110 based cards will be based on reference designs, a cut down variant will come a month later, and AIB custom cards will follow somewhere right around then.

I predict:

GK110 retail cards
GTX 780 TI - 3gb $699, 6gb $799 reference versions comes first, AIB custom versions come later, nvidia may use the "titanium" monicker instead of TI for these cards.
GTX 780 - 3gb $599 4 weeks after GTX 780 TI
GTX 770 TI - 320 bit bus (2.5gb - 3gb) - $499-529 (eventually). again Nvidia may use Titanium instead of TI in name

GK114's first retail card
GTX 770

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
You already gave us your best Dr Phil impression, of telling us what's going on in other's minds. Here:
You try to hard to justify why AMD can't seem to compete(financially /market traction). It's everyone's fault, the Nvidia buyers, but never short comings of AMD. Those are all misunderstandings:eek:

I LOL'd

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Nvidia rarely ever launches more than 1 desktop GPU sku at a time, and their highest end SKU's are always restricted to reference designs for the first 8 weeks.

Yup!

I predict:

GK110 retail cards
GTX 780 TI - 3gb $699, 6gb $799 reference versions comes first, AIB custom versions come later, nvidia may use the "titanium" monicker instead of TI for these cards.
GTX 770 TI - 320 bit bus (2.5gb - 3gb) - $499-529 (eventually). again Nvidia may use Titanium instead of TI in name

GTX 770

OK that was very detailed.

Now boxleitnerb. GO!

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Who am I kidding. If these things wouldn't hurt my wallet so much, i'd buy two of them on release day. Then again, i'd buy a lot of things if I could.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'd be more inclined to buy them if there were games pushing me to buy them.

Yeah exactly. Crysis 3 is not enough for me to spend 2 grand on cards just so I can only get 50fps anyway. Now, if BF4 came out and it looked amazing and my 670's lagged me up (very unlikely BTW), then I would stop at nothing to max that game. Actually, i'd probably play on lower settings until a reasonable upgrade option became available. $900 per card is too much for me in any scenario.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
The GTX 780 and GTX 770 may be GK-114 cores for a refresh for the 499 and 399 price-points for the Kepler generation and the speculative GTX 780ti or GeForce Titan or Titanium may be a halo product based on the Gk-110 to replace the GTX 690.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
This whole situation is probably being blown out of proportion based on the translation of the rumor and/or whoever initially reported it. Nvidia rarely ever launches more than 1 desktop GPU sku at a time, and their highest end SKU's are always restricted to reference designs for the first 8 weeks. This is probably no different. All initial GK110 based cards will be based on reference designs, a cut down variant will come a month later, and AIB custom cards will follow somewhere right around then.

I predict:

GK110 retail cards

GTX 770

I would like to see your prediction come to fruition!

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I'd rather my earlier predictions in this thread come true. AMD releases a competitive product and brings prices back down out of the stratosphere.

That way everyone wins.

Imho,

That's a given to me and believe many gaming posters understand this. Ideally, would desire a 50/50 share with both offering levels of differentiation and choice so gamers may find what best fits their subjective tastes, tolerances and wallet.

This idealism actually happened with both AMD and nVidia fighting and competing, while share was around 50/50 for a few quarters in 2010.

Without competition and very compelling choice from each other, these opportunities are examples of showing predator teeth as they devour pricing value.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I do, this card screams for water and voltage control. :biggrin:

But, the Lightning has better PCB components which will allow for more overclocking headroom even on water :) Generally speaking, the reference 680 did not gain much in terms of overclocking with water cooling. That definitely was not the case with the 680 lightning, many users have achieved 1500mhz or higher completely stable while on water - the quality of the components used was key in this.

I guess i'm a fan of the Lightning cards :(. Used them several gens now , they're the best of all the choices on the market..... I hope nvidia still allows custom boards.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
But, the Lightning has better PCB components which will allow for more overclocking headroom even on water :) Generally speaking, the reference 680 did not gain much in terms of overclocking with water cooling. That definitely was not the case with the 680 lightning, many users have achieved 1500mhz or higher completely stable while on water - the quality of the components used was key in this.

I guess i'm a fan of the Lightning cards :(. Used them several gens now , they're the best of all the choices on the market..... I hope nvidia still allows custom boards.

I kind of get the feeling that the rumor that there will be no custom boards is nvidia further trying to inhibit overclocking. I know it's just in the interest of making sure their product works as intended at all times, but it kind of leaves us enthusiasts out in the cold.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I would like to see your prediction come to fruition!

My prediction is based a little bit on hope... :/ Seriously though, $799 for a 6gb GK110 GTX 780 Titanium would still be an incredibly high price point and no doubt carry a better profit margin than the $499 1.5gb GF110 GTX 580, WOULDN'T IT? Cut us enthusiasts some slack Nvidia! $900 is incredibly outrageous if true.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
I kind of get the feeling that the rumor that there will be no custom boards is nvidia further trying to inhibit overclocking. I know it's just in the interest of making sure their product works as intended at all times, but it kind of leaves us enthusiasts out in the cold.

Well .. it depends on what kind of enthusiast you are. Those with EE backgrounds and soldering skills + tools could bypass that little restriction. Much more interesting than dialling up the slider. Although the consequences are much painful.. to the wallet of course :D

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
I really doubt that this thing is only going to use 235 watts.
I also doubt that we will see an increase larger than the increase in memory bandwidth (384/256*5.2/6)=30% because the 680 is already so memory bandwidth limited.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Titan will have 6 Gbps memory, I'm sure of it. Those specs are K20X, not Titan. As I said, they most likely confused the two.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
The former I think. 6 Gbps memory is widely available, it makes no sense not to use it. They cannot reach 85% of GTX690 speeds with 30% more memory bandwidth anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.