GeForce RTX 2060/2070/2080 Super Reviews

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Turing gains independent full-rate INT32, and independent double-rate FP16. From what SM diagrams show, FP16 appears to be separate from FP32, instead of "Rapid packed math" 2xFP16 processed in one FP32. Turing SM is also half the size of Pascal's (64 vs 128), so for the same number of cores, the number of SMs and its accompanying control structures are doubled. You can see that from, for example, the register file size: 256 KB/SM in Pascal and Turing, but total 7.5 MiB in GP102 and 18 MiB in TU102.

Lots of extra hardware, but gaming is just FP32.

Some games (Wolfenstein 2 comes to mind) are starting to use FP16 and it really does show in those games because Turing cards tend to do quite a bit better in terms of relative performance to Pascal in those titles.

wolfenstein-2-2560-1440.png

Here the regular RTX 2060 is 11% faster than the GTX 1080 even though it's just slightly worse on average. These were also games where AMD tended to have good performance with Vega and NVidia had to know that with the next generation of consoles getting FP16 capable cards that game engines would start to make significantly more use out of it.

I think that adding it was a good move that ensures that Turing will still be something a person can use four years from now. Hopefully the pricing situation improves so that in four years we're not looking back and talking about how much more sane prices were when Turing first came out.

Reactions: ozzy702

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Hmm, this got me thinking. Turing is... actually a dud in performance-per-mm2? Forget RTX, look at the chips without raytracing.

GTX 1650 Ti is the better comparison, because 1650 is just cut down. And perf/watt on the 1650 is much better than the GTX 1060.

RTX 2060 also does better than the GTX 1060 for perf/watt. The whole complaint against Turing is that Nvidia decided to raise prices. It has little to do with technology because its faster, more efficient and has better features.

Pascal was also Nvidia's first time with the 16nm process while the 12nm in Turing is really a tweak of 16nm and per wafer costs should have come down quite a bit.

If Ray Tracing allows game developers to develop better looking games for the same development cost/effort or reduces development times then again its a positive development.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Yay no longer miserable on HD630, got me a nice little hold me over card till September. Till i found this little $40 EVGA 4gb gtx960 locally,i was considering jumping on the first decent card in the $400 range in August cause HD630 sucks badly. I might if the 2080 Super is disappointing still.

It does BF4 1440p some lowered settings with a nice 60+ and a couple dropped settings it can do a easy 100 in OverWatch at 4k. Reduced settings its a 1080p GTA V card. Should be a nice card to toss into the 8350 rig later. Nothing i play no mater the settings would really let me get pass 720p on HD630. Not fun with a 4k monitor. So the edge is off and i could stop biting my nails so to speak. :p

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Yay no longer miserable on HD630, got me a nice little hold me over card till September. Till i found this little $40 EVGA 4gb gtx960 locally,i was considering jumping on the first decent card in the $400 range in August cause HD630 sucks badly. I might if the 2080 Super is disappointing still.

That's cool, what are the specs of your rig?

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
That's cool, what are the specs of your rig?

8700 non k sitting in a ROG Strix B360-G mobo, 16gb of gskill 2666 memory with a 500gb 860 Evo. Brand new Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650W psu and the rest of the build sitting in a Fractal Design Meshify C Mini with mods for maximum airflow. Monitor is a 28'' 4k Samsung. Only dealing with the 960 atm cause my 1070ti crapped out last week.

Really torn between the 5700XT and the 2070/2080 Super. GTA V which i enjoy lots of runs quite a bit better on the 2070 Super while BF5 runs better by quite a bit on the 5700XT. Leaning perhaps more towards a 5700 and pocketing the $400 or so i would have put into a potential 2080 Super. Only thing is i can afford the 2080 Super if i wait a little bit and for once i rather also have the best possible experience given its most likely sitting in my computer till the end of 2021. I doubt a $700 next gen part worthy of upgrading to is coming out any time before then.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I doubt a $700 next gen part worthy of upgrading to is coming out any time before then.

I expect the next RTX cards to offer 20-25% increase in rasterization performance. The RT units are a low hanging fruit though, since the one in RTX 2xxx is the first generation. I'm expecting 40-50% gain there.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
I expect the next RTX cards to offer 20-25% increase in rasterization performance. The RT units are a low hanging fruit though, since the one in RTX 2xxx is the first generation. I'm expecting 40-50% gain there.

With the current RX20xx series, there is one RT unit per SM. They could easily double the number of RT units per SM - as the RT units are currently less than 7% area of each SM.

Reactions: realibrad

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
With the current RX20xx series, there is one RT unit per SM. They could easily double the number of RT units per SM - as the RT units are currently less than 7% area of each SM.

Actually I meant 40-50% as in performance delivered with Ray Tracing on.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

I was excited about that prediction then i figured maybe it was more meant for RT. I am in the same boat as many who are not caring about RT. Use the die space and offer more important specs. :)

50% performance gains with RT will still make 4k RT unplayable. :p Add that performance to general overall games and heck that is a nice leap.

Guru

May 5, 2017
Someone here broke down the numbers and its about 18% die size for the whole RTX extra shaders, which is quite big, adding 7% on top of that would mean Nvidia has to make their dies even bigger, more complex and ultimately more expensive. We gain zero from it as consumers, rather than their piss poor DLSS(which hardware unboxed found AMD's simple image sharpener does a much better job) while actually having less performance.

I think Nvidia screwed themselves by going Ray tracing so early on, just like how AMD screwed themselves when they built their Fiji and onwards architectures based on low level API's, which Nvidia focused on DX11 and crushed it with pascal in DX11, especially over Vega 56 and Vega 64.

To me its too early for ray tracing, especially as the benefits of ray tracing are so small right now, due to the inadequate hardware that can't actually run real raytracing.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Someone here broke down the numbers and its about 18% die size for the whole RTX extra shaders, which is quite big, adding 7% on top of that would mean Nvidia has to make their dies even bigger, more complex and ultimately more expensive. We gain zero from it as consumers, rather than their piss poor DLSS(which hardware unboxed found AMD's simple image sharpener does a much better job) while actually having less performance.

I think Nvidia screwed themselves by going Ray tracing so early on, just like how AMD screwed themselves when they built their Fiji and onwards architectures based on low level API's, which Nvidia focused on DX11 and crushed it with pascal in DX11, especially over Vega 56 and Vega 64.

To me its too early for ray tracing, especially as the benefits of ray tracing are so small right now, due to the inadequate hardware that can't actually run real raytracing.
It's key they got it out when the did. If they had delayed then chances are the next gen consoles wouldn't have got ray tracing as the whole AMD response seems pretty knee jerk - they were saying "do it on the cloud" until Nvidia was doing on the gpu, and then MS/Sony demanded they support it.

If ray tracing didn't make it onto the consoles then a lot less games would be bothering with it, but console support means they are all going to have it. Hence widespread ray tracing adoption which is just what Nvidia want as it's a proper new feature, which will sell cards (we are all going to want a gpu with ray tracing in a year or two).

Reactions: Muhammed and DooKey

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Received my 2060 super last night. I don't really plan on using the RT or Tensor stuff much. DLSS seems like a waste, but I will likely turn on ray tracing in less fps-sensitive games. Traditional rasterization is my main squeeze, and this card delivers.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: realibrad

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
If anyone is considering a 2060 super then you should maybe hop on this for $429 if you use promo code. Sale ends in 5 days.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-rtx-2070-rog-strix-rtx2070-8g-gaming/p/N82E16814126270?Description=asus 2070&cm_re=asus_2070-_-14-126-270-_-Product

I snagged one up this evening, $429 for a Strix 2070 isn't a bad deal. I loved my 970 Strix and this one is the triple fan one. :) Should be a beast.
Did u get anything free with it? I believe 2060S you get Control and Wolfenstein.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Did u get anything free with it? I believe 2060S you get Control and Wolfenstein.

Got the same games included it doesn't show i guess till you check out but yeah got both games. :) The games i prob won't play and weren't the reason for picking the card but i guess its a nice bonus. I guess they include the games on all the upper tier Nvidia card offerings?

Forgot to mention there is also a $30 rebate on top of the coupon.

Edit: ok that game trailer looks sweet for Wolfenstein. Yeah E3 i guess i was more focused on the hardware releases over games :p

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Got the Asus Strix 2070 installed. Yeah i know its not a super card but given its a few frames faster then a 2060 Super puts it in both currently 2060 Super performance just about and current price if you nab my particular one for the next few days on Newegg. The card is a absolute monster and holy heck i barely had maybe a inch to spare in my Meshify c mini its titanic sized. :) Have zero dba enabled with the quiet profile switch and a custom curve and well running Overwatch with its stress testing 99-100% constant load had me load a tops of 60 cel with a fan profile of 50% pass 53 cel. Ambient temps are closer to 80 fah.

So far not regretting it at all, i was able to up quite a few GTA V settings over the 1070ti that failed on me and i pull well over 60 average i rarely drop under 60 and that is outside of the city in the grassy hills in particular spots.I could enable highex and painkiller cheats and blast cars and people for 10 min straight in the city with drops only hitting 62 min. Compared to completely maxed out and my given settings there is very little difference in eye candy and the minimums are a easy 30 more with my settings and its a beautiful thing. BF4 i maxed out finally at 4k finally including 4x msaa low effects as this is a tank and offers nothing gameplay wise and well the game can't look or run any dang better its great too! Didn't drop under 61fps PERIOD.

Given what this card does when completely maxed out in GTA V i doubt even a 2080 ti will offer anything worth upgrading too. GTA V seems broken in a sense i think given some settings pass high seriously tank and aren't looking at all that much better. I need a better then 2080 ti kind of card for absolutely sure before i consider a upgrade i feel worth while.

Reactions: Mopetar

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
Are the Super cards released to keep Nvidia's lead over AMD's Navi until Ampere gets released?

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Kind of. They might well have done it as a mid life cycle upgrade even without AMD doing anything though. They've done that before often enough.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Are the Super cards released to keep Nvidia's lead over AMD's Navi until Ampere gets released?

I hope so i plan to have enough funds saved up for the big boy gpu to replace the 2080 ti. Hopefully its performance can double over my 2070 and the price is perhaps a bit more reasonable then the 2080ti? Been forever and a day since i got a 100% upgrade. 6800 ultra to 8800gts was the last big one.

Won't promise i will buy said gpu but if its performance is appealing i may very well.