Gay Penguin Book Ruffles Feathers at School

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
Originally posted by: K1052
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: meltdown75
I am not amused when people post news stories and don't include their take on the subject.

Anyone who knows me on this forum knows my take on this subject.

Can you guess what it is?

The right wing nut job that trys and make a story out of a non story?

Like Rush and those evil drug users. Or bill oreally and christmas is being runined by not say merry christmas, bad parents (like the ones that talk dirty on the phone to other women even though you are married), etc...

lol

Amused only listens to Rush on the way to his weekly book burnings after church. ;)

:laugh:

But seriously, as to the story in the OP:

As much as I respect that it is a parents right as to when to broach these kind of topics, I find that most never elect to for one reason or another (often embarassment imo) leaving the child to figure things out on their own. As an example, most of my friends never got the sex talk from our parents and the sex ed programs in school weren't helpful past telling us not to have it. That worked out splendedly I can tell you.

Parents need to help prepare their children for the world outside the home. That includes discussing things that might make one or both parties uncomfortable.

I definitely agree with this. I think we certainly need to define what is right and wrong. The problem is, is that this book seems to have an agenda in defining what is right and wrong... as you mentioned, it isn't up to public education to offer that to our children.

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
Originally posted by: ryan256
Same here. These kind of issues should not be in children's books. They're gonna have to grow up and face the world fast enough as it is.

Ah, but what about the parents who think it IS acceptable for their kids to be reading about that stuff? Just because you think it is wrong does not mean your views should prevail.

For them... Amazon.com

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
Originally posted by: TravisT
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Lilly Del Pinto thought the book looked charming when her 5-year-old daughter brought it home in September. Del Pinto said she was halfway through reading it to her daughter "when the zookeeper said the two penguins must be in love."

"That's when I ended the story," she said.
Yeah, that would have been the point at which I would end it too. I was okay with the notion up to that point. That goes beyond what I think a child's book should be teaching our children IMO.
Same here. These kind of issues should not be in children's books. They're gonna have to grow up and face the world fast enough as it is.

Ah, but what about the parents who think it IS acceptable for their kids to be reading about that stuff? Just because you think it is wrong does not mean your views should prevail.

It was suggested to move the book to a mature section where parents needed to sign off for the child to read it. I know I would be extremely upset if a teacher read this in a classroom to the students. But if other parents want to expose their children to this, then thats fine. But I also have a right to say that I do not want my child exposed to it at this age.

Requiring parental approval (or even putting it behind a desk) is a form of censorship. I agree with moving it to the non-fiction area (to an extent) as it might be more appropriate, but not limiting access. If we go that route, we would require librarians to designate an age group that each item was appropriate for and restrict people to those materials.

There is already censorship in our schools, such as prayer.

Red herring.

We are having the same problem here, this book has an underwritten moral agenda that does not need to be discussed or brought up in public education.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I am not amused when people post news stories and don't include their take on the subject.

Like Rush and those evil drug users. Or bill oreally and christmas is being runined by not say merry christmas, bad parents (like the ones that talk dirty on the phone to other women even though you are married), etc...

lol

Amused only listens to Rush on the way to his weekly book burnings after church. ;)

As much as I respect that it is a parents right as to when to broach these kind of topics, I find that most never elect to for one reason or another (often embarassment imo) leaving the child to figure things out on their own. As an example, most of my friends never got the sex talk from our parents and the sex ed programs in school weren't helpful past telling us not to have it. That worked out splendedly I can tell you.

Parents need to help prepare their children for the world outside the home. That includes discussing things that might make one or both parties uncomfortable.

I definitely agree with this. I think we certainly need to define what is right and wrong. The problem is, is that this book seems to have an agenda in defining what is right and wrong... as you mentioned, it isn't up to public education to offer that to our children.

Because the it is in the library dosen't mean they are actively pushing it. I could find Mein Kampf in my school's library for pete's sake.

Your child is going to have to confront the reality of homosexual/couples people out in the world. You can either choose to explain the situation to them, hopefully without the brimstone scent wafting from your posts, or keep them naive and let them figure it out on their own.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Lilly Del Pinto thought the book looked charming when her 5-year-old daughter brought it home in September. Del Pinto said she was halfway through reading it to her daughter "when the zookeeper said the two penguins must be in love."

Yeah, that would have been the point at which I would end it too. I was okay with the notion up to that point. That goes beyond what I think a child's book should be teaching our children IMO.

It was suggested to move the book to a mature section where parents needed to sign off for the child to read it. I know I would be extremely upset if a teacher read this in a classroom to the students. But if other parents want to expose their children to this, then thats fine. But I also have a right to say that I do not want my child exposed to it at this age.

Requiring parental approval (or even putting it behind a desk) is a form of censorship. I agree with moving it to the non-fiction area (to an extent) as it might be more appropriate, but not limiting access. If we go that route, we would require librarians to designate an age group that each item was appropriate for and restrict people to those materials.

There is already censorship in our schools, such as prayer.

Red herring.

We are having the same problem here, this book has an underwritten moral agenda that does not need to be discussed or brought up in public education.

Again, we get back to the problem where you want YOUR beliefs to be the standard for public education, where no other beliefs can be taught (or materials about such beliefs even be made available).

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002

lol

Because the it is in the library dosen't mean they are actively pushing it. I could find Mein Kampf in my school's library for pete's sake.

Your child is going to have to confront the reality of homosexual/couples people out in the world. You can either choose to explain the situation to them, hopefully without the brimstone scent wafting from your posts, or keep them naive and let them figure it out on their own.

No one is asking that the book be removed all together. But the schools already require guardian signature for many things that might be controversial. I think that is all that is being asked. The schools have taken out many Christian things from public education merely because it might be offensive to others who do not believe the same way. I think the same standard should apply here.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
You can't hide the real world from children forever.. I can see people being upset if this was required reading but something that's readily available in a library with no agenda pushing it.. how can you even complain about this? Should the library go through all the dictionaries and remove the word penis and vagina too? :roll:

Parents need to be parents, plain and simple.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

lol

No one is asking that the book be removed all together. But the schools already require guardian signature for many things that might be controversial. I think that is all that is being asked. The schools have taken out many Christian things from public education merely because it might be offensive to others who do not believe the same way. I think the same standard should apply here.

Forcing a person to get permission to view a book (heck, how would they even know about it in the first place?) is a form of censorship in itself. At that point you might as well remove the book. Also, libraries fall under different rules (and interpretations of the constitution) than the rest of a school. While a school/district is allowed to remove a book from the required reading list at will, the same does not apply to a library. Please be aware of the appropriate law before commenting.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

lol

Last time I checked being gay wasn't a religious affiliation.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

My views should AND WILL prevail when it comes to what is being taught to my son. I don't care if other parents think it is acceptable. It's not up for debate. This is not something I need to discuss with my child at the age of 4 while I'm reading him a children's book. :|

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
"the illustrated children's book based on a true story of two male penguins in New York City's Central Park Zoo that adopted a fertilized egg and raised the chick as their own"

i haven't seen the book but come the fvck on! it doesn't have gay undertones unless you put them there.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

My views should AND WILL prevail when it comes to what is being taught to my son. I don't care if other parents think it is acceptable. It's not up for debate. This is not something I need to discuss with my child at the age of 4 when I reading him a children's book. :|

Your views CAN prevail, but it is up to you to make that happen. If you don't want your child reading a certain type of book, don't let them check it out (most libraries will give parents the option of not allowing their children to check out materials without them being there). Furthermore, you can mold your child's views, but you do NOT have the right to select exactly what materials are made available in the public education system. The public education system is a general system that tries to cover all ideas and theories. If you want your child to be taught that evolution does not exist and that homosexuality is a sin, then I would suggest that you enroll them in a private school that teaches that. The public school system WILL teach them that homosexuality exists. They won't make a judgement on it, that is up to you and your child to do.

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002

lol

Last time I checked being gay wasn't a religious affiliation.

No, but it does offend some with different beliefs. I guess since this follows in line with what you believe is okay that it is okay to offer it to children. But if my childs teacher wants to pray over her food at lunch that somehow offends you. There seems to be a double standard here.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Listen, I seriously doubt that kids of that age can even UNDERSTAND what 'gay' would mean. And, what the hell is wrong with two male penguins (gay or not) raising a chick? What's wrong with two male penguins being in love? And WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH TEACHING KIDS TO ACCEPT PEOPLE (or penguins) FOR WHO OR WHAT THEY ARE?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

My views should AND WILL prevail when it comes to what is being taught to my son. I don't care if other parents think it is acceptable. It's not up for debate. This is not something I need to discuss with my child at the age of 4 when I reading him a children's book. :|

Your views CAN prevail, but it is up to you to make that happen. If you don't want your child reading a certain type of book, don't let them check it out (most libraries will give parents the option of not allowing their children to check out materials without them being there). Furthermore, you can mold your child's views, but you do NOT have the right to select exactly what materials are made available in the public education system. The public education system is a general system that tries to cover all ideas and theories. If you want your child to be taught that evolution does not exist and that homosexuality is a sin, then I would suggest that you enroll them in a private school that teaches that. The public school system WILL teach them that homosexuality exists. They won't make a judgement on it, that is up to you and your child to do.

I don't think homosexuality is a sin. I have no problem with homosexuality or homosexuals. I also believe in evolution and I'm not at all religious...in fact, I think religion is a load of horse crap.

I have no problem with him learning about it when he's older. Now is not the time though.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Good grief, kids would not even realize this was a big deal or taboo if parents didn't make a big deal out of it.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: CollectiveUnconscious
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
Gay penguins do not exist.

False. Do some research before you claim something.

Gay penguins do not exist. Claims to the contrary are erroneous and driven by the gay penguin agenda.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

I don't think homosexuality is a sin. I have no problem with homosexuality or homosexuals. I also believe in evolution and I'm not at all religious...in fact, I think religion is a load of horse crap.

I have no problem with him learning about it when he's older. Now is not the time though.

That is perfectly fine, but it is up to YOU to make sure he does not learn it until a certain age. The problem here is that others may believe that their children should learn about it at a different age. Personally, I feel that four is WAY too young, but then again, the book above really has nothing to do with homosexuality (except for the one line which a child under 10 isn't even going to understand). So let's say that I believe my child should learn about it when they are about 11, and you say 14. Who is right? The answer is, neither and both of us.

The only stance a public school can take on materials that promote homosexuality is to say that they are available to everyone. Likely we will both tell our kids that we want to see any book that they bring home before they read it. The responsibility is ours, not the schools. There are many ways that you can prevent your child from reading certain materials, but they all fall on you as they should.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

Gay penguins do not exist. Claims to the contrary are erroneous and driven by the gay penguin agenda.

Male bonding behaviour

In early February 2004 the New York Times reported a male pair of Chinstrap penguins in the Central Park Zoo in New York City were partnered, and when given an egg which needed incubation, successfully hatched it. Other penguins in New York have also been reported to be forming same-sex pairs.[4]

This was the basis for the children's picture book And Tango Makes Three. The couple about whom the book was based, Roy and Silo, would see further interesting developments in their relationship when in September 2005, Silo left Roy for a female penguin.

Zoos in Japan and Germany have also documented male penguin couples.[5] The couples have been shown to build nests together and use a stone to replace an egg in the nest. Researchers at Rikkyo University in Tokyo, found twenty such pairs at sixteen major aquariums and zoos in Japan. Bremerhaven Zoo in Germany attempted to break up the male couples by importing female penguins from Sweden and separating the male couples; they were unsuccessful. The zoo director stated the relationships were too strong between the older couples.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguin)

You, sir, are an idiot.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

No, but it does offend some with different beliefs. I guess since this follows in line with what you believe is okay that it is okay to offer it to children. But if my childs teacher wants to pray over her food at lunch that somehow offends you. There seems to be a double standard here.

You say it like you can go and buy homosexuality at the cafateria. It is an issue that trancends religion and cultural differences.

Given today's media/culture your children are going to ask about this eventually. The question is are you going to defer explaining the issue to them or deal with it proactively? I admit that I am actually more concerned about the latter thanI am the former in your case, given your obvious religious bent but that isn't my decison to make as they are your children.

CollectiveUnconscious

Jan 27, 2006

Same-sex pairing has been shown in penguins, as well as a plethora of other animals.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

That is perfectly fine, but it is up to YOU to make sure he does not learn it until a certain age. The problem here is that others may believe that their children should learn about it at a different age. Personally, I feel that four is WAY too young, but then again, the book above really has nothing to do with homosexuality (except for the one line which a child under 10 isn't even going to understand). So let's say that I believe my child should learn about it when they are about 11, and you say 14. Who is right? The answer is, neither and both of us.

The only stance a public school can take on materials that promote homosexuality is to say that they are available to everyone. Likely we will both tell our kids that we want to see any book that they bring home before they read it. The responsibility is ours, not the schools. There are many ways that you can prevent your child from reading certain materials, but they all fall on you as they should.

I definitely agree with you on that. He probably wouldn't even pick up on it and I could always change the wording if I was the one reading it to him.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

I definitely agree with you on that. He probably wouldn't even pick up on it and I could always change the wording if I was the one reading it to him.

Why wouldn't you read it to him? He probably won't understand, and if he does, he won't catch 'the gay' from it.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

How about making a story out of a story? Thats more like it. Of course, its now socially acceptable to be gay. I use that word only because my true take on it would get me banned.

Which is exactly what I wish would happen to the gay lifestyle as well, but thats another point.