Gay Penguin Book Ruffles Feathers at School

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Gay Penguin Book Ruffles Feathers at School
By JIM SUHR, AP

SHILOH, Ill. (Nov. 17) - A picture book about two male penguins raising a baby penguin is getting a chilly reception among some parents who worry about the book's availability to children - and the reluctance of school administrators to restrict access to it.

The concerns are the latest involving "And Tango Makes Three," the illustrated children's book based on a true story of two male penguins in New York City's Central Park Zoo that adopted a fertilized egg and raised the chick as their own.

Complaining about the book's homosexual undertones, some parents of Shiloh Elementary School students believe the book - available to be checked out of the school's library in this 11,000-resident town 20 miles east of St. Louis - tackles topics their children aren't ready to handle.

Their request: Move the book to the library's regular shelves and restrict it to a section for mature issues, perhaps even requiring parental permission before a child can check it out.

For now, "And Tango Makes Three" will stay put, said school district Superintendent Jennifer Filyaw, though a panel she appointed suggested the book be moved and require parental permission to be checked out. The district's attorney said moving it might be construed as censorship.

Filyaw considers the book "adorable" and age appropriate, written for children ages 4 to 8.

"My feeling is that a library is to serve an entire population," she said. "It means you represent different families in a society - different religions, different beliefs."

Lilly Del Pinto thought the book looked charming when her 5-year-old daughter brought it home in September. Del Pinto said she was halfway through reading it to her daughter "when the zookeeper said the two penguins must be in love."

"That's when I ended the story," she said.

Del Pinto said her daughter's teacher told her she was unfamiliar with the book, and the school's librarian directed the mother to Filyaw.

"I wasn't armed with pitchforks or anything. I innocently was seeking answers," Del Pinto said, agreeing with Filyaw's belief that pulling the book from the shelves could constitute censorship.

The book has created similar flaps elsewhere. Earlier this year, two parents voiced concerns about the book with librarians at the Rolling Hills' Consolidated Library's branch in the northwest Missouri town of Savannah.

Barbara Read, Rolling Hills' director, has said she consulted with staff members at the Omaha, Neb., and Kansas City zoos and the University of Oklahoma's zoology department, who told her adoptions aren't unusual in the world of penguins.

She said the book was then moved to the nonfiction section because it was based on actual events. In that section, she said, there was less of a chance that the book would "blindside" someone.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Amused
Lilly Del Pinto thought the book looked charming when her 5-year-old daughter brought it home in September. Del Pinto said she was halfway through reading it to her daughter "when the zookeeper said the two penguins must be in love."

Yeah, that would have been the point at which I would end it too. I was okay with the notion up to that point. That goes beyond what I think a child's book should be teaching our children IMO.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Yeah, that would have been the point at which I would end it too. I was okay with the notion up to that point. That goes beyond what I think a child's book should be teaching our children IMO.

OH NOES!!!! I hope her kid did not catch "the gay" from the book. :roll:

If this is the worst thing they have to worry about, they need to enjoy life more. Either that or get a hobby.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
I am not amused when people post news stories and don't include their take on the subject.

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005

Same here. These kind of issues should not be in children's books. They're gonna have to grow up and face the world fast enough as it is.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: meltdown75
I am not amused when people post news stories and don't include their take on the subject.

Anyone who knows me on this forum knows my take on this subject.

Can you guess what it is?

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004

Hmm... can't say that I know you, so why don't you humour me?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

The right wing nut job that trys and make a story out of a non story?

Like Rush and those evil drug users. Or bill oreally and christmas is being runined by not say merry christmas, bad parents (like the ones that talk dirty on the phone to other women even though you are married), etc...

imported_Devine

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2006
So what constitutes gay, are they having sex? Do they snuggle together at night when they go to bed? Do they go to the halloween party dressed up as "The Incredibly Gay Duo" ? Yes they might be rasing a chick but where does the gay come in? The story was probably fine up until that "the two penguins must be in love" line.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Hmm... can't say that I know you, so why don't you humour me?

Well, I'm for the most part libertarian. I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

Can you guess now?

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ryan256

Same here. These kind of issues should not be in children's books. They're gonna have to grow up and face the world fast enough as it is.

Ah, but what about the parents who think it IS acceptable for their kids to be reading about that stuff? Just because you think it is wrong does not mean your views should prevail.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

Like Rush and those evil drug users. Or bill oreally and christmas is being runined by not say merry christmas, bad parents (like the ones that talk dirty on the phone to other women even though you are married), etc...

Marlin, I challange you to find a single "right wing nut job" post of mine when it comes to social issues. Just one.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

lol

Amused only listens to Rush on the way to his weekly book burnings after church. ;)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

anthropomorphizing FTL.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052

lol

Amused only listens to Rush on the way to his weekly book burnings after church. ;)

:laugh:

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf

Ah, but what about the parents who think it IS acceptable for their kids to be reading about that stuff? Just because you think it is wrong does not mean your views should prevail.

It was suggested to move the book to a mature section where parents needed to sign off for the child to read it. I know I would be extremely upset if a teacher read this in a classroom to the students. But if other parents want to expose their children to this, then thats fine. But I also have a right to say that I do not want my child exposed to it at this age.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

If you're going to post threads that are borderline P&N threads, you ought to at least follow the P&N rules which require you to post your comments in the OP.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

If you're going to post threads that are borderline P&N threads, you ought to at least follow the P&N rules which require you to post your comments in the OP.

Sigh

Folks, I have always been opposed to this silly anti-gay/book banning nonsense. I didn't think I had to comment because I figured you folks would know that.

Besides, I didn't want to color the ensuing debate by adding commentary to the news article. I wanted to see where it went. Unfortunately, it went toward me. :confused:

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: TravisT

It was suggested to move the book to a mature section where parents needed to sign off for the child to read it. I know I would be extremely upset if a teacher read this in a classroom to the students. But if other parents want to expose their children to this, then thats fine. But I also have a right to say that I do not want my child exposed to it at this age.

Requiring parental approval (or even putting it behind a desk) is a form of censorship. I agree with moving it to the non-fiction area (to an extent) as it might be more appropriate, but not limiting access. If we go that route, we would require librarians to designate an age group that each item was appropriate for and restrict people to those materials.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052

lol

:laugh:

But seriously, as to the story in the OP:

As much as I respect that it is a parents right as to when to broach these kind of topics, I find that most never elect to for one reason or another (often embarassment imo) leaving the child to figure things out on their own. As an example, most of my friends never got the sex talk from our parents and the sex ed programs in school weren't helpful past telling us not to have it. That worked out splendedly I can tell you.

Parents need to help prepare their children for the world outside the home. That includes discussing things that might make one or both parties uncomfortable.

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002

Requiring parental approval (or even putting it behind a desk) is a form of censorship. I agree with moving it to the non-fiction area (to an extent) as it might be more appropriate, but not limiting access. If we go that route, we would require librarians to designate an age group that each item was appropriate for and restrict people to those materials.

There is already censorship in our schools, such as prayer.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Prayer is not censored. The state (and it's employees) merely cannot initate, sponser or endorse prayer.

Big difference.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

Red herring.