gay marriage question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

would you issue or deny a marriage permit to this couple?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
How about this "hypothetical"?

A gay foreign exchange student comes to study in the US on a student visa. While studying here, said student gets married which is legal in their state to a US citizen. However, DOMA prevents the federal government from recognizing their marriage and acts to deports the foreign exchange student after the visa expires.

derail threads much...............

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
A sex change operation isn't really a sex change operation.

A guy does not become female because he chops his penis off. He is still a guy, just one that looks like a female.

So if you live in a state where gay marriage is illegal I would not issue the license.

More misinformed nonsense from non-Prof John.

47 states allow transgender people to legally change the gender on their birth certificate. Once a man legally becomes a female in such states, he can legally marry a man (and vice versa). Texas is trying to change their laws on this, but they're the exception.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
More misinformed nonsense from non-Prof John.

47 states allow transgender people to legally change the gender on their birth certificate. Once a man legally becomes a female in such states, he can legally marry a man (and vice versa). Texas is trying to change their laws on this, but they're the exception.
If that is true then it sounds like we have the answer to our question.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
If its illegal for same sex, then I refuse the license. If they are transgendered then I treat them according to their legal sex and issue the license.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I think just about everyone should be able to get a domestic partnership (and "marriage" can be something that religious organizations can worry about.)

Otherwise I don't think people can change their genders. The way I see it they are mentally ill people who mutilate themselves to look more like another gender.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
There is no such thing as "sex reassignment". Peoples genes and chromosomes are not changed. Surgery just renders mutilated people pretending to be changed. Gender Identity Disorder still exists of course (political correctness hopes to fix that) and I see no reason to alter laws and institutions to accommodate disorders. The US is economically bankrupt and in an advanced state of societal decay. Its culture is debased, its borders are virtually collapsed, its population is dividing into tribal antagonisms, its youth indoctrinated into national and personal self hatred. Normal marriage long ago became debased and portrayed as irrelevant ("just a piece of paper!"). Now the same people (libs) want to make marriage important again - but in mutational forms.

Not long ago I read Switzerland was looking to make incest legal and I am sure the libs in US will head the same way. Right now the Obama admin is even recruiting people with GID to adopt kids. So kids are getting sacrificed to disordered people to make them feel happy about themselves. Obama put LGBT activists in charge of children and families just as he put Kevin Jennings (Mr Fisting) in charge of school safety. This kind of thing just accelerates America's decline - which libs like anyway. Poor kids hardly have a chance in US culture these days.

HHS Official Tells Youth Summit: We're Recruiting LGBTs to Adopt Kids

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/hhs-official-teens-gov-t-lgbt-youth-summ

Hey look, a Taliban guy figured out how to use a computer.

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Can a man who has therapy have a baby?
Can a women who has therapy be the male father of a baby?

Not all women can have a baby. Not all men can father a baby. If such a couple were to present their intent to marry. Would you refuse them?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Any consenting adult should be allowed to marry any other consenting adult.

Bu . . . bu . . . bu . . . but if same-sex couples can marry, what's to stop humans from marrying farm animals? I go sleepless at night worrying about it.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You cannot change the genetic makup. If you cannot change the genetics of the individual then you cannot change the sex of the individual.

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
Bu . . . bu . . . bu . . . but if same-sex couples can marry, what's to stop humans from marrying farm animals? I go sleepless at night worrying about it.

There are a lot of people in which a farm animal would be an improvement over their current spouse.

Edit: As to the original question. I don't care who people doink, and I don't care who you want to risk having to give your assets to if things go south.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
You cannot change the genetic makup. If you cannot change the genetics of the individual then you cannot change the sex of the individual.

The state also cannot arbitrarily add requirements to the determination of gender like "genetic makeup" to some while accepting others' statement of gender at face value.

If the state doesn't require genetic proof of gender for everyone, it cannot require it of only a few.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The state also cannot arbitrarily add requirements to the determination of gender like "genetic makeup" to some while accepting others' statement of gender at face value.

If the state doesn't require genetic proof of gender for everyone, it cannot require it of only a few.

Nobody added anything. Look up X and Y chromosome.

Most mammals have one pair of sex chromosomes in each cell. Males have one Y chromosome and one X chromosome, while females have two X chromosomes.

It is pretty simple. Regardless of how you want to twist it.

X+Y = Male ( even if you remove the penis and add a phoney vagina and boobs. )

X+X = Female ( even if you remove the boobs and get an addadicktome. )

My statement was in reference to the " changing of the sex " comments. Just because you modify the sexual organs doesn't change your REAL sexual make up. It is only a false front to hide the truth. I never said if the government should or should not require a genetic test to determine the TRUE sexual make up of anyone.

Read the post, do not read into the post.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
It's not a marriage, that's what men and women do. Maybe they could get together to do whatever and call it a pairage. But whatever they do, would it be too much to ask if they would just shut the fuck up about it?

Zen0

Jan 30, 2011

Most mammals have one pair of sex chromosomes in each cell. Males have one Y chromosome and one X chromosome, while females have two X chromosomes.

My statement was in reference to the " changing of the sex " comments. Just because you modify the sexual organs doesn't change your REAL sexual make up. It is only a false front to hide the truth. I never said if the government should or should not require a genetic test to determine the TRUE sexual make up of anyone.

It is hardly that simple. Humans are ALL base FEMALE. That means we ALL start our existence as females. The Y chromosome is unnecessary, except to change our vaginas to a penis and some other changes to our body.

What a person genetically is capable of versus expressing is a different story. XY females exist, because their Y chromosome failed to activate. That doesn't make them male - at all - it just means they were conceptually supposed to be. Huge amounts of men have an extra X chromosome, does it make them a woman?

Conservatives like you without any real knowledge or education try to act like you are intelligent and invariably falls on your own ass.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003

Just because someone had their sex organs changed doesn't mean that's the only thing that's changed. Hormones play a factor too.

I'm aware of what chromosomes are and the role they play, regardless of how you want to deny or imply otherwise.

Zen0

Jan 30, 2011
I think just about everyone should be able to get a domestic partnership (and "marriage" can be something that religious organizations can worry about.)

Otherwise I don't think people can change their genders. The way I see it they are mentally ill people who mutilate themselves to look more like another gender.

Damn you retards really piss me off. With no knowledge of the history of marriage, you just assume that religion has exclusive domain over the concept?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
It's not a marriage, that's what men and women do.

You're not the authority on what a marriage is.

But whatever they do, would it be too much to ask if they would just shut the fuck up about it?

You first. "We" will talk about what we want to talk about... and we don't give a damn if you have a problem with it.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It is hardly that simple. Humans are ALL base FEMALE. That means we ALL start our existence as females. The Y chromosome is unnecessary, except to change our vaginas to a penis and some other changes to our body.

What a person genetically is capable of versus expressing is a different story. XY females exist, because their Y chromosome failed to activate. That doesn't make them male - at all - it just means they were conceptually supposed to be. Huge amounts of men have an extra X chromosome, does it make them a woman?

Conservatives like you without any real knowledge or education try to act like you are intelligent and invariably falls on your own ass.

I know it isn't as simple as what I stated as a general rule...

The abnormalities that you stated are also not as simple as you stated either.
Both of the cases X Y "female" or X X " Male" are abnormal conditions and are considered as a rare sex chromosomal disorder. Even still there are yet several variations of these two disorders that you didn't mention. Does that mean you "Fell on your ass also", because you didn't mention all possibilities? Just like millions of other genetic disorders. It is a genetic defect which has no bearing on my post or the OP.

1. You are only assuming I am a conservative.
2. You have no idea of my education level or how intelligent I may be.

You sir can go sit on a pole!

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You're not the authority on what a marriage is.

You first. "We" will talk about what we want to talk about... and we don't give a damn if you have a problem with it.

You are correct on both counts, but it goes both ways.