GASP: I decided that I like a GM car in current production

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dab

Jan 26, 2006
^^

We have one in the shop, a cadillac dealer's son got it for his 18th birthday and rolled it. The car although slightly dented and scratched on the exterior, is in perfect mechanical condition. It purrs like a kitten. I would love to own a V-series.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: dab
^^

We have one in the shop, a cadillac dealer's son got it for his 18th birthday and rolled it. The car although slightly dented and scratched on the exterior, is in perfect mechanical condition. It purrs like a kitten. I would love to own a V-series.

:shocked:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
man, go for a (used) CTS-V is you can.. and then slap a turbo/supercharger on it, chip mod, exhaust mod... :Q:Q:Q:Q:Q

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: acemcmac
Originally posted by: BobDaMenkey
Lexus IS 250 RWD Manual is what comes to mind for a comparable japanese car. Base price is the same too, but you have to chose an option on the wheels to put it up to 31k after tax and delivery ect, which wouldn't change much against the caddy.

204hp, 184ft/lbs of torque, and 20/29mpg city/highway.

I'd rather have a Lexus anyway :) Though I'd rather have an IS300, which they stoped making.

I'll have to look into it

The 250 is a lot weaker... but then again the 350 is too steep

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: dab
^^

Rolled it? That must have taken a lot of effort.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
under 30k? WTF? That not even in G35 price range.

Did you ever hear of the GTO?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: RGN

yea, and he said this about it

"I think it looks like a Stratus on steroids"

or something like that.

Ilikepiedoyou

Jan 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Colt45
why do you discredit european cars?

Well when you spend this much on a vehicle you generally expect to be able to use it every day and not spend half the time in the shop. Also not only do they need twice as much maintenance but the maintenance costs twice as much.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: AnonymouseUser
The CTS is a joke.

Why?

It's a roomy, comfortable, RWD vehicle with a decent V6 that can be had for under 30k. I think it looks great too. It's in the same price line as a 3 series but has similar room to a 5 series.

It has better handling and is more fun to drive than an ES330 and doesn't have the torque steer of the TL. The only real competition is a the Chrysler 300C and the G35 if you want a RWD midsize sedan.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Acanthus
GM should just drop all of their other divisions and just make cadillacs :p

Its seriously the only GM car id even consider.

not the GTO, not the Corvette, not the Solstice, not the Lucerne, not the Aura, not the Impala?

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: vi_edit
The CTS is a joke.

Why?

It's a roomy, comfortable, RWD vehicle with a decent V6 that can be had for under 30k. I think it looks great too. It's in the same price line as a 3 series but has similar room to a 5 series.

It has better handling and is more fun to drive than an ES330 and doesn't have the torque steer of the TL. The only real competition is a the Chrysler 300C and the G35 if you want a RWD midsize sedan.

For starters, the exterior is ugly as sin. The vehicle looks like bad anime, something reminiscent of TranZor Z. The build quality, when compared to all other entry-level Asian or German luxury cars, is mediocre. Finally, performance and handling are sub-par for the segment.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
The CTS is a joke.

Why?

For starters, the exterior is ugly as sin. The vehicle looks like bad anime, something reminiscent of TranZor Z. The build quality, when compared to all other entry-level Asian or German luxury cars, is mediocre. Finally, performance and handling are sub-par for the segment.

looks are subjective, its a beautiful design.

now, go look at the costs of other "entry level" luxury sedans, and then compare what they come with, and then compare sizes.

now which is the cheapest, and quite arguably best value?

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
Originally posted by: Acanthus
GM should just drop all of their other divisions and just make cadillacs :p

Its seriously the only GM car id even consider.

not the GTO, not the Corvette, not the Solstice, not the Lucerne, not the Aura, not the Impala?

New and possibly unreliable, no appeal, new and possibly unreliable for the rest, except of course for the impala which is a plastic featureless...

Ilikepiedoyou

Jan 10, 2006
I guess it has become the cool thing to do ... bashing cars bashed on what country the manufacters hails from

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
i've always loved the japanese cars, but man, you know what GM car really caught my heart? The Solstice/Sky. And I want one.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Ilikepiedoyou
I guess it has become the cool thing to do ... bashing cars bashed on what country the manufacters hails from

yes, yes it has.

:(

The times of talking cars based on personal experience/performance is long gone on "teh intarweb"

I haven't driven the CTS, but on paper it seems capable and I would love to see what it can do/feels.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: RGN

lol the GTO has like a $1400 gas guzzler tax

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Ilikepiedoyou

yes, yes it has.

:(

The times of talking cars based on personal experience/performance is long gone on "teh intarweb"

I haven't driven the CTS, but on paper it seems capable and I would love to see what it can do/feels.

Well, I have driven several. While I didn't drive it around a track to test it's limits, I have driven it enough to know that it definitely has to be cheaper than it's competition to compete. I've also driven several of it's direct competition, including G35, IS250/350, 330i, etc.