Gas station purchase limit: $75.00

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
Originally posted by: Ticky
God I hate that limit! I drive this, and I had to use 250 different credit cards to fill up yesterday!

that was you? learn how to use turn signals, asshat.

lol.

Wow, that thing would cost ~21 thousand dollars to fill up at my stations current rate for diesel...

Ticky

Feb 7, 2008
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
Originally posted by: Ticky
God I hate that limit! I drive this, and I had to use 250 different credit cards to fill up yesterday!

that was you? learn how to use turn signals, asshat.

I did, fvcker. If you weren't driving such a tiny car, you could actually see up far enough to see it! Not my fault you drive a toaster.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
doesn't it depend if you walk into the cashier or not? i think the limits at the pump

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: marvdmartian
First problem seems to be you waited until you were beyond empty, which isn't ever a good idea (unless you like pumping the crap in the bottom of your gas tank through your fuel injection system??).
his vehicle, like every other vehicle on the road, has a fuel filter.

My car (05 Malibu LTZ) has no fuel filter...unless you count the sock in the tank, otherwise,
no...and no tranny dipstick either, manual states " if you see fluid on your driveway contact
your dealer"...

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Baked
WTF are you driving that eats up $75 of gas?!

It doesn't take that much. The tank on the car I am currently driving is thirteen or fourteen gallons, and it cost almost forty dollars to fill it last time. Prices have risen since then.

Imagine if he was driving a truck with two tanks. :shocked:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
First problem seems to be you waited until you were beyond empty, which isn't ever a good idea (unless you like pumping the crap in the bottom of your gas tank through your fuel injection system??).
Second problem is that you live in California. Live elsewhere, and you'd get more gas for your $75. I know this from experience, since I spent 10 years living in Cali before I got fed up with the taxes and left for greener pastures. Pretty sad that just in the 4 years I lived in the central valley region, gasoline prices almost doubled, and about half of that was new taxes on gas! :(

Half? I doubt that. You can't blame California for gas prices doubling.

California is the state with the greatest total state tax on gasoline at 45.5 cents per gallon but the fact is, all states tax gasoline, and the federal government also taxes it (federal gas tax is 18.4 cents a gallon). On average, the combined state and federal gasoline tax is 45.8 cents across the nation, making the United States one of the least expensive places in the Western world to buy fuel. In Europe, government taxes make up about 60% of the price of fuel, on average.

So, we pay about 18 cents more per gallon of gas here in California than the US national average. Fact is, you moved out of California to save yourself a whopping $15 a month (assuming you drive 15k miles a year in a vehicle that gets 15mpg). :laugh:

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Second problem is that you live in California. Live elsewhere, and you'd get more gas for your $75. I know this from experience, since I spent 10 years living in Cali before I got fed up with the taxes and left for greener pastures. Pretty sad that just in the 4 years I lived in the central valley region, gasoline prices almost doubled, and about half of that was new taxes on gas! :(

it pumps from the bottom anyway. the only thing about running low is you have less NPSH.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Originally posted by: MotionMan
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Can't you just close out that ticket, then swipe the card a second time for another round of gas pumping?

Probably.

Oh, and buy a bicycle.

Biking from L.A. to Santa Barbara in a suit is a bitch.

MotionMan

Where in LA are you located? I'm in the Santa Monica region and it's not nearly bad enough to put me at $75 even for a full tank (16 gallons).

Most trucks and fullsize SUVs hold at least 26 gallons of gas. At almost $4/gallon it is easy to rack up $80-90 filling up the tank.

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: FDF12389
I miss the 99 per gallon when i started driving......

Yeah, I remember getting pissed when gas prices topped $1/gallon. :laugh:

Well now some places are 4+, might be time to move closer to work....

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Um, I work 10 miles from home and I ride a bicycle to work a couple days a week. I'm not complaining about gas prices. Just reminiscing. :p

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com

Um, I work 10 miles from home and I ride a bicycle to work a couple days a week. I'm not complaining about gas prices. Just reminiscing. :p

how long does the 10 miles take you to bike?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: randomlinh

how long does the 10 miles take you to bike?

Best I've managed is 35 minutes if I hit most of the lights green.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
At least the size of my gas tank cuts me off at $72. Premium too... I was expecting $80 or something.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
it takes $30 right now to fill up my stangs tank. i t hink tis only 13 gallons or 11.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
I've noticed this for a long time. Also, if you buy gas 3 tiems in a given day, you can't do it at the pump. You have to go inside and verify that it is your card. This is a measure to prevent identity theft (credit card theft)

Must have gotten the clue by what happened to me, years ago in New Orleans. My credit/debit card was stolen in the evening, and by morning when I called the bank to report it, over $1000 had been charged, ALL AT GAS STATIONS. Musta been gassin up the hood.
<--- make note to self, there are pick-pockets on Bourbon street, who'd a thought.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: HyTekJosh
Try filling up a boat. I need to use 3-4 different credit cards because of the $75 limit. Sometimes you can just go inside and they will reauthorize the card. I wonder if I went in first if they could just authorize the card for a large amount.

I was just thinking about this the other day - we'll typically fill the gas tank of the van, pull forward a bit and fill the tank on the boat as well. I didn't have a problem last year; hopefully I won't this year either.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
And we used to think that the jump past $0.29 was rough...

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: MotionMan
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Can't you just close out that ticket, then swipe the card a second time for another round of gas pumping?

Probably.

Oh, and buy a bicycle.

Biking from L.A. to Santa Barbara in a suit is a bitch.

MotionMan
Pack the suit - shower when you get there

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000

You do understand that the fuel pump pickup is at the bottom of the tank right? It *always* picks up from the bottom.