[GamersNexus] GTX 1030 DDR4 "A Disgrace of a Graphics Card"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Honestly, no-one should really be buying anything less than a 1050 Ti IMO as a discrete card. While this could be deceiving, people need to do research at the same time. If you want to game, get a good gaming card. If not, then modern integrated should do. If neither, then this is a fringe case and those should do their research accordingly in this special market.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Honestly, no-one should really be buying anything less than a 1050 Ti IMO as a discrete card. While this could be deceiving, people need to do research at the same time. If you want to game, get a good gaming card. If not, then modern integrated should do. If neither, then this is a fringe case and those should do their research accordingly in this special market.

There is still a market for cheaper discrete card like 1030 gddr5 as its half the price of a 1050ti and can be put into old systems without having to spend much money which is important factor in poorer countries. I however oppose scummy deceptive trash cards like 1030 ddr4.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Scummy move from Nvidia. I have a 730 gddr5 that i use as a "gaming card" to play older games and i feel i should have gotten a 750 minumum rather than saving a few bucks. Now i know better and only buy minumum x50 series cards in future.
They put out a slower 96bit 1050 card too...

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
This is disgusting, at what point does some 3 letter entity like the CPA or FTC step in and do something about this deception?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I own the GDDR5 version of this card and it's surprisingly strong. It can run modern games on medium/reasonable settings at 1080p with 60+ fps for most things. esports titles run at 100+ FPS or so. It's quiet, uses no power, runs cool and it's the only modern card that offers a single slot low profile version, perfect for my OptiPlex 5050. Now my daily driver can run games decently. (I own a beefy gaming PC with a 1070, but having the 1030 in the OptiPlex is nifty).

It's a shame how terrible the DDR4 version of this card is.

Reactions: crisium

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I never understood why companies even bother with putting desktop memory on graphic cards, even low end dGPUs are crippled by doing this.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

b-mac

Jun 15, 2015
The fact that anyone actually defends this type of -redacted- is amazing.

Profanity in the tech forums is prohibited.

Daveybrat
AT Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I never understood why companies even bother with putting desktop memory on graphic cards, even low end dGPUs are crippled by doing this.

Because it's a good way to shaft the unwary buyer and maximise profit. But according to some this is OK because dishonesty is justified when exploiting the ignorant?

When I bought my first graphics card, I was a teen and I was clueless about how to research or spec-check graphics cards (or even that hardware review sites existed IIRC). I'd say we've all been suckered when purchasing iffy tech at least twice in our lifetimes. I'd sympathise with the buyer rather than the multi-million dollar manufacturer personally, even though obviously I'd recommend purchasing from a position of knowledge rather than ignorance.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012

yes because having options is not bad, the problem is Nvidia not making enough effort to differentiate a normal 1030 from this one, and people buying one thing and expecting the other, call it 1020 and make it cheaper and I think it's a pretty OK card for using with CPUs without IGP or for older PCs for video decoding.... and hey some old and very basic games will also perform OK.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
At least on Newegg, the DDR4 version isn't really cheaper.

And this is the crux of it. Yes, the DDR4 version is used to save money. But none of the cost saving is passed onto the consumer.

Who would buy a GT 1020 for the same price as a GT 1030? But call them both a GT 1030, and have the difference in the description only, and now you can easily move units with deceit.

GT 1030 is more capable then some apologists here think. High settings 1080p 60hz in e-sports titles like the MOBAs and CSGO/OW. It can even hit 144hz in reduced settings in many of these. For those confused: we do not mean professional e-sports players who will get something better, but just people who want to play them with a cheap add-on card.

And check the review if you're unclear just how bad the performance difference is. The DDR4 version is literally less than half the performance. There shouldn't be any room for misinterpretation when it comes to 100%+ performance difference.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Since these moves are made over and over again, by NV(and occasionally by AMD), I have to conclude that the consumer isn't interested enough to notice or care.
The average Joe won't notice it, but there are less and less averages Joes and even the old people are becomming more and more tech savvy... At least they can notice the difference between the Intel Core 2 and The Core i3

May 11, 2008
Since these moves are made over and over again, by NV(and occasionally by AMD), I have to conclude that the consumer isn't interested enough to notice or care.

I think these kind of modified cards are primarily used for prebuilt systems that are sold during discount sales.
Usualy, it is difficult to get exact details about the internal components /boards. The third party seller must be willing to give full details when provided to them or must be willing to open the case and expect the components in details at the customers request.

If some dad decides to buy a prebuild for his son or daughter and sees for example an I3 with 8GB of ram and a GT1030, he thinks he sees a good deal.
But the issue is to get all details about the components in a prebuild computer system.
To be honest, i do not like these kinds of practises at all. May it be AMD( RX560(D) forgetting the D in USA or Europe) or Nvidia.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think these kind of modified cards are primarily used for prebuilt systems that are sold during discount sales.
Usualy, it is difficult to get exact details about the internal components /boards. The third party seller must be willing to give full details when provided to them or must be willing to open the case and expect the components in details at the customers request.

If some dad decides to buy a prebuild for his son or daughter and sees for example an I3 with 8GB of ram and a GT1030, he thinks he sees a good deal.
But the issue is to get all details about the components in a prebuild computer system.
To be honest, i do not like these kinds of practises at all. May it be AMD( RX560(D) forgetting the D in USA or Europe) or Nvidia.
Isn't DDR4 ram still rather expensive, though?

Presumably they did not call this GT1020 because there will be an actual new card in that spot?

May 11, 2008
Isn't DDR4 ram still rather expensive, though?

Presumably they did not call this GT1020 because there will be an actual new card in that spot?

I am sure DDR4 is expensive, but it used more often than GDDR5 which is also expensive.
I think the DDR4 chips used might not be high end DDR4.
I am kind of curious what kind of DDR4 memory is used. What ddr speed grade, What kind of latency.

It is an educated guess, but i think we can assume safely that DDR4 is cheaper than the GDDR5 that was used before for these cards..

May 11, 2008
Yes, standard DDR4 at 2100Mbps.

Wauw, They could have used DDR3 at 1833MHz as well and be faster with lower latency.
Although, there seem to be some performance enhancements to DDR4 memory in comparison to DDR3 memory besides the lower voltage.

Reactions: ZGR

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
The price is rather high for what it is. How much would it cost NV to have 4GB vs 2GB of DDR4?
They couldn't at least use DDR4 at 2666Mbps?

Or at least add more than 2GB. Maybe a 4GB variant to support 4k streaming? Idk. This card isn't for me.