[GamersNexus] GTX 1030 DDR4 "A Disgrace of a Graphics Card"

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thing is, it's not even significantly cheaper at retailers. Are they trying to dupe the public too? Or is it just that the DDR4 version is "new", and the GDDR5 one is "old", and thus the premium for "new" and the depreciation for "old" cancel each other out?

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
I'm disappointed the GT x10 line has died out. It's a pity that this is the cheapest discrete card you can get for hw accelerated HEVC, VP9 and Netflix 4k streaming.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Was there this much outrage over the three completely different GT730 cards?

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-730/specifications

I don't think so, because, back then, nobody bought a GT730 for "Gaming" (I put it in quotes, because the GT1030 GDDR5 version IS bought for Gaming, but generally, a lower-level of gaming, hence the quotes). Whereas people DO buy the GT1030 GDDR5 version for lower-end "Gaming".

That, and the GT730 didn't start out as a GDDR5 card, and then release with DDR3 versions, it was pretty-much DDR3 from the start.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm disappointed the GT x10 line has died out.
Useless, with the rise of half-decent iGPUs. If integrated GPUs on CPUs move to MCM with HBM(2/3) memory pools, expect that even the GTx30 line might die out too.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
Useless, with the rise of half-decent iGPUs. If integrated GPUs on CPUs move to MCM with HBM(2/3) memory pools, expect that even the GTx30 line might die out too.

Depending on the iGPU is viable for a new HTPC but it's alot more expensive for anyone who would otherwise just swap his old x10 for the latest one.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Reactions: Gikaseixas

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
It's amazing how a product that at first glance looks so similar can have half the performance. What a waste of a GPU to pair it with DDR4 and gimp it like that.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
The article states:

The original GT 1030 carries about 48GB/s of memory bandwidth, calculated by taking memory bus width, divided by 8 to convert width to bytes, multiplied by memory clock, by 2 for DDR, and by 2 for GDDR5. The result is about 48GB/s, whereas the GT 1030 with DDR4 amounts to approximately 16GB/s memory bandwidth.

Can someone explain better how this difference occurs?

thanks

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Are you asking out of simple curiosity, or are you indicating that moves like this that are clearly bad for the consumer, should never be noted or commented on, if said action is not taken immediately upon the first offence?

I think it's more that one is mostly ignored, the other overhyped. A bit like the whole 560 thing, it flared up then vanished. There is a undercurrent running through here that everything Nvidia must be declared evil and shouted from the rooftops. I'm not saying it's right about calling it 1030 but as long as it has DDR4 in the name the onus is on the purchaser to inform themselves on their purchase.

I'd love there to be clear naming but with so many variants of any GPU on the market it's an impossible ask. They also can't saturate too much, having 1010 through 1090, RAM size, Core config plus Ti variants would overwhelm even the savvy consumer.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
That spin.

“GT 1030 2GB OC LPD4” costs the same and is slower than “GT 1030 2GB OC LPG” = Onus on the consumer if they buy the slower one

GT 1020 is slower than GT 1030 = savvy consumer overwhelmed by choices

No one can actually think this way, are you joking?

slashy16

Mar 24, 2017
I actually bought one of these cards for my work PC. I couldn't run 2x 2K monitors off my older quadro. The card runs windows fine and more importantly things like youtube and netflix no longer crash the pc.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I actually bought one of these cards for my work PC. I couldn't run 2x 2K monitors off my older quadro. The card runs windows fine and more importantly things like youtube and netflix no longer crash the pc.
But how much did you really save in $$$, by purchasing the version of the card that is severely neutered in games?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Thanks, I was just gonna buy one of them to run the latest games at 1080p max settings.
I was just sure a $75 card could do it. Darn it.

J/k

Let me give everyone a good piece of advice.
Don't buy anything for under $150 that you want to game on.
These are NOT GAMING CARDS.
A gtx1030 2gb is a e-sports gaming card at best.

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Thanks, I was just gonna buy one of them to run the latest games at 1080p max settings.

J/k

E-sports gaming is still valid gaming! Plenty of teenage kids with not a lot of money, who just want to drop a low end card into an old system and get something good enough to play Overwatch or DOTA.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
E-sports gaming is still valid gaming! Plenty of teenage kids with not a lot of money, who just want to drop a low end card into an old system and get something good enough to play Overwatch or DOTA.
Some people are just PCMR snobs, thinking everyone needs a GTX 1060 6GB or above to "enjoy" PC gaming. Ok, maybe AAA titles at 1080P60 or better, at high/ultra, sure. But not everyone has such high standards.

I built a PC for a friend, with a refurbed older Intel office box with a quad-core, dropped in an SSD, new HDD, boosted the RAM, and dropped in a minimal gaming card, like a GTX 1050 2GB, and away he goes. Plays everything that he want to, thus far.

Mar 11, 2004
I think it's more that one is mostly ignored, the other overhyped. A bit like the whole 560 thing, it flared up then vanished. There is a undercurrent running through here that everything Nvidia must be declared evil and shouted from the rooftops. I'm not saying it's right about calling it 1030 but as long as it has DDR4 in the name the onus is on the purchaser to inform themselves on their purchase.

I'd love there to be clear naming but with so many variants of any GPU on the market it's an impossible ask. They also can't saturate too much, having 1010 through 1090, RAM size, Core config plus Ti variants would overwhelm even the savvy consumer.

GTFO with that nonsense. People were calling out AMD for the cut down 560, and have called them out for similar in the past. In fact, this is one of the few things that people on here actually agree on, calling altered versions of products the same name, trying to dupe uninformed consumers.

How is it impossible? Seriously? They can literally tack on one letter or change one number and it'd be very clear. Except they're still saturating the market with the same amount, they're just trying to get away with calling it something else. And it actually muddies things up further as review sites often will have to waste parts of articles explaining the differences.

WTF, your whole argument is absurd. You want them do to all of that, just not call it that and you're somehow arguing that makes it better, that by just not openly calling it that, it makes it more clear and less confusing. Its going to "overwhelm savvy consumers" the same, and they're banking on uninformed consumers not knowing the difference.

Mar 11, 2004

J/k

That's a bizarre argument. "THESE AREN'T GAMING CARDS!!! They're e-sports gaming cards!" Because somehow older games and e-sports games aren't games?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I hate the esports argument. Nobody playing an 'esport' competitively will be playing at 60hz; which means these cards are for extremely cheap builds.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
this is bad but nothing new, it's the same thing like 15 years ago with the "FX 5200" you could buy one with 128 or 64bit memory (big difference) and the name was the same

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Are you asking out of simple curiosity, or are you indicating that moves like this that are clearly bad for the consumer, should never be noted or commented on, if said action is not taken immediately upon the first offence?
Since these moves are made over and over again, by NV(and occasionally by AMD), I have to conclude that the consumer isn't interested enough to notice or care.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Since these moves are made over and over again, by NV(and occasionally by AMD), I have to conclude that the consumer isn't interested enough to notice or care.
Since both NV and AMD card prices were repeatedly jacked up during mining boom periods, I have to conclude the consumer isn't interested enough to notice or care.

This type of fractured logic is unsettling.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Scummy move from Nvidia. I have a 730 gddr5 that i use as a "gaming card" to play older games and i feel i should have gotten a 750 minumum rather than saving a few bucks. Now i know better and only buy minumum x50 series cards in future.