[gamegpu.ru] Tomb Raider Benchmarks GPU / CPU

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
She is still Lara croft isn't she? ....

The whole point of this game was to redefine her character with an origin story and actually provide the depth you think she's lacking from ridiculously old games. Video games have come a very long way since Tomb Raider was popular as a story telling medium.

RobertR1

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Nvidia getting a taste of their own medicine. I'm sure they'll work to have a new driver out soon.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Just like Batman is the same in the Nolan trilogy as in Burton's movies, as in the Joel Schumacher crap?
Completely wrong thread for this discussion though...

The whole point of this game was to redefine her character with an origin story and actually provide the depth you think she's lacking from ridiculously old games. Video games have come a very long way since Tomb Raider was popular as a story telling medium.

Characters are not like blank slates that you can erase and paint as you wish.They evolve which sadly didn't happen for this franchise.Now enough off topic discussion lets return to gpu charts.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Not really, character design is even more important in Action/Adventure genre.Altair was a master assassin compared to Ezio who was just a pretty looking boy.If you actually pay heed Altair's character is much more inclined to the over all AC theme.Above all Altair had a just different kind of lineage compared to the rest.AC had many issues but Altair was not one of them.I already bought it for my brother and from what I've see I'm not touching it again.

That's exactly why Altair was such a bland character. From the beginning to the end he didn't change much if at all. The best part about Assassin's Creed 1 was the ending where they set it up for a sequel. Compare that to Ezio who went from being a pretty boy to a master assassin there was an overall change in the character that you can see. Altair could have been replaced with any generic assassin and they story would play out the same.

I remember reading this in another forum but it went something like this, Altair is as much a character as an eggshell is an omelette.

Last edited:

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
That's exactly why Altair was such a bland character. From the beginning to the end he didn't change much if at all. The best part about Assassin's Creed 1 was the ending where they set it up for a sequel. Compare that to Ezio who went from being a pretty boy to a master assassin there was an overall change in the character that you can see. Altair could have been replaced with any generic assassin and they story would play out the same.

I remember reading this in another forum but it went something like this, Altair is as much a character as an eggshell is an omelette.

The last one is a gem , I will give you that :biggrin:

But I beilve Altair was actually very arrogant befitting a man of his caliber.I like Ezio too but that guy was easily sidetracked, I think you know what I mean pretty girls and all :p

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Characters are not like blank slates that you can erase and paint as you wish.They evolve which sadly didn't happen for this franchise.Now enough off topic discussion lets return to gpu charts.

I just want to get my two cents in on this -- you're not even judging this game by its cover, you're judging this game by the cover of other games. showb1z' point about Nolan's Batman compared to Schumacher's Batman is very appropriate, I think. Characters are what their writers make of them. The reality is that this game is very much so an evolution of the character of Lara Croft.

And even then, character development is only part of a game's quality. There's level design, art direction, music, etc. All these combine to make a game a worthwhile experience.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I just want to get my two cents in on this -- you're not even judging this game by its cover, you're judging this game by the cover of other games. showb1z' point about Nolan's Batman compared to Schumacher's Batman is very appropriate, I think. Characters are what their writers make of them. The reality is that this game is very much so an evolution of the character of Lara Croft.

And even then, character development is only part of a game's quality. There's level design, art direction, music, etc. All these combine to make a game a worthwhile experience.

Just to be clear here... we're not actually trying to imply that Nolan's batman is anything but head, shoulders and torso above any iteration prior, are we ? :cool:

The Alias

Aug 22, 2012
Just like we should all be saying Nvidia has horrible drivers now that the shoe is on the other foot. :rolleyes:

qft I don't understand how people have such a hard time understanding that amd has offers the better single gpu experience in all price points except titan's . It was so clear when the 680 and 670 came out; why isn't clear now ?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Of course DHR-Jensen,Witcher-Geralt,AC-Altair ... I only picked the recent ones for easy reference.

I agree with Deus Ex: HR and The Witcher as having great characters. But Assassin's Creed? Ezio and Altair never struck any chords with me whatsoever. Then again, I'm one of the few people who just couldn't get into Assassin's Creed. Was never a fan of the series.

Back on topic though... did anyone try running the Tomb Raider benchmark for themselves? Mine appears to be glitched. It's like it starts off at the wrong angle, and rather than the camera properly rotating around her, it actually clips through her body and goes right through her chest. :D Ran it two different times, and it did the same thing both times.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Is it just me or does Nvidia actually do a little better with TressFX enabled than they do without (in the 1080p tests)? Granted their products are still under-performing, but I just found it strange that this supposedly AMD assisted feature would work so well on Nvidia hardware with bunk drivers.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Is it just me or does Nvidia actually do a little better with TressFX enabled than they do without (in the 1080p tests)? Granted their products are still under-performing, but I just found it strange that this supposedly AMD assisted feature would work so well on Nvidia hardware with bunk drivers.

what I find even more strange are the lies about TressFX fps hit

( like 3-5fps here!!)

from those 5 or so users with HD79xx that actually have the game :colbert:

Not a single truthful report except that OC-ed 7870 at neogaf

incredible...

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
what I find even more strange are the lies about TressFX fps hit

( like 3-5fps here!!)

from those 5 or so users with HD79xx that actually have the game :colbert:

Not a single truthful report except that OC-ed 7870 at neogaf

incredible...

What do you want to know?

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010

Actually I played the game for an hour and found her to be disappointing.For an action adventure game to succeed the character must stand out heads and shoulders above others.That is why I never liked AC3 much as conor just couldn't fit his ancestor's shoes.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
qft I don't understand how people have such a hard time understanding that amd has offers the better single gpu experience in all price points except titan's . It was so clear when the 680 and 670 came out; why isn't clear now ?

I'm thinking you totally misunderstood my post. o_O

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Just to be clear here... we're not actually trying to imply that Nolan's batman is anything but head, shoulders and torso above any iteration prior, are we ? :cool:

Sorry got to disagree; while Bale as Wayne was better than any; his batman was second best after Keaton....Keaton's batman was just more mensing.

Second Nolan's world was decent in the first two movies; specially the second movie as Heath completely steals the show utterly and completely. Where Jack brought fun; wacky side of Joker *which was awesome* Heath brought the utter chaos; psyco and madness of the Joker out.

The third was an utter mess; I understand what Nolan tried to do but completely failed to remember; Wayne would never give up being batman. He's too driven by it; he's walked away shortly but always comes back; and only when he became too old did he seek out another to become batman.

Now back to Tomb Raider; I've not had a chance to play yet; but everything I've seen this isn't the old Lara; at most had a great set; and cardboard of a character; this is fleshed out.

Square Enix is very good at fleshing out characters - Look at the reboot of Deus Ex; *which was used* extremely well done story wise - there were game play issues which were apologised for and said they will improve on the next one.

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012
So the GE vesion came out before 680....really?

Not as a seperate SKU. Right on Tahiti release day there were 1GHz HD 7970 cards available for purchase. The problem was they were OC edition cards and not given an SKU seperate from the reference "stock" model. So when GTX 680 was released it was compared to reference HD 7970s rather than the OC 1GHz cards.

So while it wasn't available in name, it was certainly possible to purchase stock 7970s that ran at 1GHz before GTX680 was released. The 7970 GE card is just an AMD PR stunt to be honest. It's purpose was to give AMD a seperate SKU that could be called fastest single GPU. It succeeded in this goal up until Titan's release last month.

Where Nvidia won the PR battle was by releasing a similar or slightly faster performaing card at a cheaper price. So GTX 680 won the price/perf battle when we take MSRP into account and exclude price gouging.

Last edited: