Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 504 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I think it was the letter Sansa wrote to Rob Stark, when Joffery was King.
Yup, the one she was forced to write saying Ned plotted to steal Joffery's throne and urging Rob to come to King's Landing, bend the knee and swear fealty.

I can only assume he is trying to give Ayra ammunition to go against Sanza should something happen to Jon and she is named Queen in the North. Or?

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Big reveal that John isn't a bastard.

Awesome seeing Aria fall for Little Finger's honey pot.

Cool that Sam is now the lord of house Tarly - equipped with a valerian sword - and done dropped out of grad school!

The board game clearly allows you to take ship-bridges across the ocean. So the show is using the same logic, which yes, means you can get to dragon stone to kings landing, then fall back to castle black. You'd need ships in ship beaker bay, black water bay, the narrow sea, and the shivering sea.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Anyone else bothered that their master plan is to capture one of the undead as 'proof'? They could just take King's Landing and be done with it.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
All I could read was "....died of his wounds..." will watch again. I'm guessing the fake note said that Jon was killed, so Littlefinger hopes that Arya will use it to inform Sansa, and turn everything in Winterfell into a wee bit of chaos.

The note is not a forgery. Its from season 1 when Sansa wrote to Robb to tell him of Ned's treason. Baelish would have known about it and he knows that Arya having it would split the sisters to put it mildly.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
So looks like the leak was right all along, 7 men head north of the wall to bring back the undead. I wonder if this was an inside job seeing how it was released months back on reddit, also the last ep is gonna be EPYC.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Awesome seeing Aria fall for Little Finger's honey pot.

Littlefinger's relationship with the Starks has been bothering me for a while now. This is a show where networks of spies seem to know every small happening, no matter how private. Yet somehow Littlefinger openly betrayed Ned, put a knife to his throat in a room full of at least 100 men (including Barristan Selmy)... and none of the Starks ever received word of this? In a show of dragons and undead warriors, the least plausible thing to me is nobody privy to the fact that Littlefinger was central to Ned's betrayal/death. As a refresher... here's Littlefinger with Ned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVHzUUcSzQM&t=3m21s

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
yes, but I'm still not sure what Raegar's annulment really means in the end? He fathered some kids like Jon Snow, that we know of--annulment is just an annulment; blood is what maters and we already know where all that blood flows, right? It seems to me that the secret marriage was to Ned's sister? (I always thought it was mutual between them, no? and that the Ned/Robert story was that she was kidnapped and raped?)

I believe she said the marriage was annulled and he was married to another - meaning not only is Jon Snow not a bastard, but HE is the actual legitimate heir to the throne, not Dany.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
I believe she said the marriage was annulled and he was married to another - meaning not only is Jon Snow not a bastard, but HE is the actual legitimate heir to the throne, not Dany.
Somebody please explain the whole 'Cersei needs to believe the white walkers are coming thing'. Do they feel like they need her troops to help fight them?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Can someone explain the significance of the conversation Sam and Gilley had? That went completely over my head, I'm guessing partially because I still don't know like 1/2 the people in this show by name, only by face.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Somebody please explain the whole 'Cersei needs to believe the white walkers are coming thing'. Do they feel like they need her troops to help fight them?
I believe that is the reason. They basically need every human army to team up or the army of the dead will wipe them out. At least that is the vibe I've gotten.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
Can someone explain the significance of the conversation Sam and Gilley had? That went completely over my head, I'm guessing partially because I still don't know like 1/2 the people in this show by name, only by face.

everyone knew Jon Snow was Raegar son, but they didn't know he was NOT a bastard, but a his true son

I believe that is the reason. They basically need every human army to team up or the army of the dead will wipe them out. At least that is the vibe I've gotten.

that, and they can't afford to waste resources fighting each other

Reactions: purbeast0

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
everyone knew Jon Snow was Raegar son, but they didn't know he was NOT a bastard, but a his true son

Everyone meaning us and possibly Bran. But going from the information we know to proving Jon's heritage seems a bit difficult.

And by this point it is confirmed about Tyrion too. All 3 characters have interacted peaceably with dragons, all 3 with mothers dying in childbirth, and the mantra "the dragon has 3 heads" with all the evidence presented already.

But Martin probably has some tricks up his sleeve. But who knows really? He might be the kind of guy who sucks at writing an ending, and we've seen it fall miserably flat before in a show that builds many characters simultaneously with individual stories (Heroes).

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Which means, as I said in my spoiler tag above and below:

I believe this means Jon Snow is actually the heir to the Iron Throne since he is the legitimate son of the crown prince.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Brienne needed to be in their group, but the pit stop af Winterfell wouldn't have worked.

Also, there is now teleportation in Westeros. Sir Davos made it from Dragonstone to Kings Landing and back, and then to the Wall.

Yeah, I think they've been borrowing Jack Bauer's helicopter since ~season 4.

3? months on the King's road to get from Winterfell to King's Landing in season 1, now it's a day-long round trip.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Right. That's what I figured, but I also thought it didn't really matter anyway because blood trumped marriage, no? Otherwise, Gendry and all of Robert's bastards wouldn't have been a threat to Cersei, right?

In my mind, anyway, Jon had already been established as the rightful heir above Dany, simply by blood. (no spoiler--this was revealed last season)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Which means, as I said in my spoiler tag above and below:

I believe this means Jon Snow is actually the heir to the Iron Throne since he is the legitimate son of the crown prince.

I see what you're saying, I guess. The Bastard label does matter and they need to be made official (Roose -> Ramsay; the conversation about bastards between Jon, Onion, and Misande in episode 4)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The note is not a forgery. Its from season 1 when Sansa wrote to Robb to tell him of Ned's treason. Baelish would have known about it and he knows that Arya having it would split the sisters to put it mildly.

ah I forgot about that. I actually started re-watching season 1 a few days ago, and that is the next episode. :D

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I see what you're saying, I guess. The Bastard label does matter and they need to be made official (Roose -> Ramsay; the conversation about bastards between Jon, Onion, and Misande in episode 4)

Exactly. We all knew who Jon's parents were, but his actual status makes a big difference in terms of his claim to the Iron Throne (not that he ever intended to lay claim).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

more people is good, but I think it has more to do with Dany needing to bring her army north without having to worry about Cersei taking Dragonstand and every thing else while she is away.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Exactly. We all knew who Jon's parents were, but his actual status makes a big difference in terms of his claim to the Iron Throne (not that he ever intended to lay claim).

I'm pretty sure now that he intends to lay claim to his cousin's nether regions though!
(or she very clearly wants him to, after Drogon seemed to dig Jon--who, I'm guessing, smelled Targaryean blood. And yeah, so Jon is "a real dragon," but not pure Targaryean?)

This is going to be more disturbing than Luke and Leia in Empire, and I'm pretty sure that the Fat Man really wants the audience to be that disturbed. :D

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I don't mind some of the teleportation but this episode actually put some events into chronological order. We know how long it takes (roughly) to go from the North to King's Landing. We can surmise from the ravens that a massive undead army is heading towards the Wall. We also know that Jon had to go from Dragonstone to the Wall just to start the journey of the Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai. Dragonstone is really close to King's Landing.

So... Dragonstone/King's Landing --> Wall --> King's Landing --> Wall. And the undead army won't be to the Wall yet?

I think the undead must be to marching as Gendry is to rowing.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I'm pretty sure now that he intends to lay claim to his cousin's nether regions though!
(or she very clearly wants him to, after Drogon seemed to dig Jon--who, I'm guessing, smelled Targaryean blood. And yeah, so Jon is "a real dragon," but not pure Targaryean?)

Not cousin - it is his Aunt Dany! :D

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Littlefinger's relationship with the Starks has been bothering me for a while now. This is a show where networks of spies seem to know every small happening, no matter how private. Yet somehow Littlefinger openly betrayed Ned, put a knife to his throat in a room full of at least 100 men (including Barristan Selmy)... and none of the Starks ever received word of this? In a show of dragons and undead warriors, the least plausible thing to me is nobody privy to the fact that Littlefinger was central to Ned's betrayal/death. As a refresher... here's Littlefinger with Ned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVHzUUcSzQM&t=3m21s

Everything that Ned Stark did then could be misconstrued as trying to usurp the throne. The only real proof is was the will which Cersei tore up and trashed as a forgery.