Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 498 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LOL, godlike powers? WTF series were you reading? Gandalf's magic was about as powerful as David Blaine's. He couldn't levitate a feather or set fire to a strip of flash paper. He used a sword because his magic was pretty much useless.

Well Gandalf, like he other 5 or so of his class of beings are immortals and I think even "more immortal" than the elves. They do have real powers, but were primarily tasked as sage observers of the realm. If one of them "dies" or runs astray, then their beings are reshuffled in order (how Gandalf returned to replace Saurumon's place as the White Wizard). Each type was assigned a specific role: White was the chief, grey was the wise wanderer, that brown dude was the master of the woods or something, and so on. But the individual in each place was really just a ball of energy that would find a new role when needed.

IIRC, The Silmarillion more or less refers to them as minor gods in that world. The Elves achieve immortality by running off to some other land--might as well call it heaven, if you ask me. The Wizards were truly immortal in Middle Earth.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Well Gandalf, like he other 5 or so of his class of beings are immortals and I think even "more immortal" than the elves. They do have real powers, but were primarily tasked as sage observers of the realm. If one of them "dies" or runs astray, then their beings are reshuffled in order (how Gandalf returned to replace Saurumon's place as the White Wizard). Each type was assigned a specific role: White was the chief, grey was the wise wanderer, that brown dude was the master of the woods or something, and so on. But the individual in each place was really just a ball of energy that would find a new role when needed.

IIRC, The Silmarillion more or less refers to them as minor gods in that world. The Elves achieve immortality by running off to some other land--might as well call it heaven, if you ask me. The Wizards were truly immortal in Middle Earth.

They are both immortal in that barring injury their bodies can live until the end of the world (although elf bodies eventually "fade" in Middle Earth. They can also both be killed, but if elves were their spirits would have to go chill in the Halls of Mandos until the end of the world (with a couple exceptions). If Maiar are killed their spirits go back to Valinor and they get another body IIRC. Although it seems like something different happened with Gandalf, so I might be off. Been a while since I read the Silmarillion.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I think the dragon queen should have made a left or right instead of going forward in a straight line in her 1st salvo?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I am going to assume that everyone here has a brain and there will be no discussion about leaked episode content until the air date...

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
You would think after the first miss with the jumbo arrow, daenerys would approach from a vertical angle to eliminate the ability of the bow to target her.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
She could have done several things differently in my opinion....but then the scene would have been about 2 minutes long and GoT would be over.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Awesome episode, best since battle of the bastards! Also, Arya schooled Brienne, wonder if it will be her to take out the mountain?

I remember they mentioned some of the gold getting to KL, so I'm wondering what the loss of what was left does to Cersei's plans with the iron bank

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Such a badass episode! Ayra getting to show off her moves, Bronn being Bronn, fucking dragons! Loved the way they were able to really make you feel how terrifying Drogon is, while letting Jaime and Bronn live. Jaime was an idiot for staying, and charging him, but at least he lives. I was thinking for a second there Drogon was going to eat him whole.

I'm calling it that one dragon will die to the scorpions at some point, but not Drogon. Maybe Viserion, while Jon rides Rhaegal into battle against the white walkers, named after his father of course.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Such a badass episode! Ayra getting to show off her moves, Bronn being Bronn, fucking dragons! Loved the way they were able to really make you feel how terrifying Drogon is, while letting Jaime and Bronn live. Jaime was an idiot for staying, and charging him, but at least he lives. I was thinking for a second there Drogon was going to eat him whole.

I'm calling it that one dragon will die to the scorpions at some point, but not Drogon. Maybe Viserion, while Jon rides Rhaegal into battle against the white walkers, named after his father of course.
Jaime lives? The weight of armor is pulling him down, falling in the same way Bran was after he pushed him. The episode 5 preview has Qyburn in the "bad news mode" with Cersei. Bron pulling him out in time, during a battle they were losing is very unlikely. Even if Daenerys wanted to save him, pulling him out in time...

Agree about one dragon dying but don't think it will happen this far south of the wall. To have a dragon die at or north of wall to be revived by the night king makes more sense for the plot. Magic doesn't let the dead pass the wall according to Benjen, makes sense that night king would use magic in the shape of a dragon to make a passage for his army.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Since the Night King's mark on Bran allowed him to bypass the magic barrier in the cave, I wonder if it should allow him to bypass the wall.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Amazing episode. The battle scene was breathtaking, particularly the visual effects.

You'd think Dany would have brought all three dragons and repeatedly torched them, then later sent in the Dathroki to clean up whatever little is left. Yet the scene wouldn't have been so intense without the cavalry charge so I'll give it a pass.