Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 475 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
really, really hoping they speed up Dany's storyline next season. I'm not sure I can take a whole season of her continuing to fuck around in Mareen, especially while Dragonstone is now wide open (and, as Stannis mentioned way back when, it's a city built on a volcano that just happens to be filled with dragonglass)

How many books/seasons do we have left? I thought I read somewhere it was 2 more seasons worth of material. That means she has to regroup with her main force, get across the sea and do *whatever* in Westeros pretty fucking quickly.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
How many books/seasons do we have left? I thought I read somewhere it was 2 more seasons worth of material. That means she has to regroup with her main force, get across the sea and do *whatever* in Westeros pretty fucking quickly.

2 seasons, if they stick with the plan of 7 seasons/7 books.

honestly, there's tons of material to stretch it out if they wanted and interesting book characters that haven't made it into the tv show, but I think the writers pushed for 7 seasons when HBO wanted them to make it 10.

of course, I guess they've still got the AMC option of doing like 10-12 episodes for "season 7, part 1" and another 10-12 for "season 7, part 2"

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

The show has caught up with the books.

There are two books and possibly two to three seasons left.

At this point I would be surprised if the books get released before the show finishes its last 2-3 seasons.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
OK, yeah, I don't see the new Dany+Dothraki taking very long to sort out. I was worried about that as well.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
I have a feeling they will do season 6, then look at 7 and go, "shit, there's no way we can wrap this up in 10 episodes, we gotta do season 8"

Let's just hope they don't do an epic fuckup like Rome and decide to cram 3 seasons worth into one to wrap it all up.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I have a feeling they will do season 6, then look at 7 and go, "shit, there's no way we can wrap this up in 10 episodes, we gotta do season 8"

Considering there's 2 books left, possibly. I'm still betting the next book comes out before next seasons. GRRM asking HBO to shelve the Bran story line only make sense if the fat man is the one who reveals it.

Unrelated:

shame.jpg

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
In a previous episode Roose Bolton admonished Ramsey for wanting to take the initiative, saying that a wise commander does not go out to meet an enemy head-on in the open when he has the safety of walls, months' worth of food stores, and a bitter winter outside that can wear down the enemy for them.

Ramsay is desperate to earn himself some battlefield glory to add to his legitimacy. That brat growing in Walda Frey's belly is a threat to him, as he discussed with Roose. He knows the stakes.

if anyone can be accused of pulling the strings, it's probably Littlefinger and Oleana.

Littlefinger said he knew someone Oleana would be interested in, and next thing you know, Lancel Lannister is testifying against Cersei.

This is really astute. Kudos.

Winds of Winter is supposed to be about 1500 pages. That's a monster text. For comparison, the last book was 1,040 pages. He has to cover a few chapters of stuff the show has already done in book 6, but that's easily enough for more than one season if they want to. He has also said the last book will be at least 1500 pages. Which probably means 3,000 pages and 2 books in GRRM speak. Point being, there is apparently a ton of material/ground left to cover for both the show and the books.

If you are unfamiliar with it, GRRM saw the story in 2 parts that were split by a time frame of like 15 years (I forget exactly). The last two seasons on the show/last 2 books were just meant to be connective tissue covering the time period between the two big story arcs. If what he has said in public is true, there is a LOT of story left to be told - entire major multi- season/book story arcs to work through. Another trilogy if you will.

I think they'll bang out an 8th season. It's a moneymaker for everyone involved. Also, if there really is that much story left to tell, it'll feel awfully rushed to cram it in 2 seasons.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Didn't Thoros also say he wasn't reviving anyone, it was the Lord of Light? Then you go on and say it's based on the person you're reviving, so does it matter she hasn't done it before? Maybe she wasn't around anyone the LoL deemed worthy of reviving. I bet Thoros didn't think he could do it, until he did.

Or maybe he's just dead. If that's the case why did Melissandra go back to the wall at all? She should have headed south away from all this mess. It feels like there's a plot reason she's back there. Is she going to get his blood off the snow? Maybe.
Agreed. Melisandre can revive someone if the Fire god wants it to happen.

Heading south would be crossing enemy territory, so it would be unwise. Going north would be passing through Stannis's supply line and much safer for a lone woman.

Kit and several other actors had contracts running through till the end of the GOT series (7) so it would seem that Jon's coming back unless the contracts had escape clauses to keep the storyline secret from the public.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki8481
if anyone can be accused of pulling the strings, it's probably Littlefinger and Oleana.

Littlefinger said he knew someone Oleana would be interested in, and next thing you know, Lancel Lannister is testifying against Cersei.
This is really astute. Kudos.

Lancel had already confessed when he joined the faith militant, LF is talking about someone else i believe

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Heading south would be crossing enemy territory, so it would be unwise. Going north would be passing through Stannis's supply line and much safer for a lone woman.

And heading north puts her back at the wall where she either has to live out the rest of her life or eventually venture back through enemy territory alone. Going north was not a choice of safety, she didn't gain anything. She knows Jon was important to Stannis and she could also either know or suspect his heritage. It seems a lot more likely that she's there for him, not because it was the path of least resistance.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
how many Crows died at Hardhome vs the white walkers?

(I assume all those crows were loyal to Jon?)

matricks

Nov 19, 2014
Lancel had already confessed when he joined the faith militant, LF is talking about someone else i believe

We haven't seen him since, so I'm thinking Olenna was served the squire guy who testified against Loras. He was part of Baelish' brothel management, so he would be easy enough to grab (he probably didn't exepct Baelish to turn him over to anyone). Although torture/imprisonment seems out of character for Olenna, killing people without raising suspicion is more like her.

Danaerys has been in Vaes Dothrak before, lots of Dothraki would have heard about her I would think. She was also among a small group of Dothraki when the dragons hatched, that story should have spread too.

The show writers have said they expect to make seven or eight seasons. Whether that will fit just fine or be to little will depend on how they start off season six, particularly what Dany will do. She needs to take Drogon back to Mereen to bust out his brothers, let Essos go and order some dragonline tickets to Westeros. I hope she won't try to save Slavers Bay a third time, because that's getting boring.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It's a bit interesting that apparently they decided to have homosexual sex be a capital crime in the world of Westoros - but homosexuality exists as well.

No voices for that being wrong, only people who lie about it happening out of loyalty to the person.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
And heading north puts her back at the wall where she either has to live out the rest of her life or eventually venture back through enemy territory alone. Going north was not a choice of safety, she didn't gain anything. She knows Jon was important to Stannis and she could also either know or suspect his heritage. It seems a lot more likely that she's there for him, not because it was the path of least resistance.

Riding alone a long way to the Riverlands and having to pass through winterfell doesn't sound like a reasonable idea at all unless she wants to get flayed alive.

Riding back to the wall through Stannis's supply line and hopping on one of his ships from the East watch back to Stannis's castle at Widow's watch makes alot more sense.
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130507121142/gameofthrones/images/7/7e/The_known_world_HBO.jpg

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
We haven't seen him since, so I'm thinking Olenna was served the squire guy who testified against Loras. He was part of Baelish' brothel management, so he would be easy enough to grab (he probably didn't exepct Baelish to turn him over to anyone).

Lancel was there when the High Sparrow accused Cersei of crimes, which was after Baelish said he had a young man for Olenna. However, you're right the young man was the brother manager. As mentioned, Lancel already confessed so the High Sparrow already knew about Cersei and was playing her.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
2 seasons, if they stick with the plan of 7 seasons/7 books.

honestly, there's tons of material to stretch it out if they wanted and interesting book characters that haven't made it into the tv show, but I think the writers pushed for 7 seasons when HBO wanted them to make it 10.

of course, I guess they've still got the AMC option of doing like 10-12 episodes for "season 7, part 1" and another 10-12 for "season 7, part 2"

sopranos was the first show i ever remember doing the part 1 and part 2 season thing, which is also an HBO show.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Been out of town, came home to watch GOT on DVR, so shows recorded. Did they skip last week? Last episode I remember they called Jon Snow outside to uh, prove a point.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Been out of town, came home to watch GOT on DVR, so shows recorded. Did they skip last week? Last episode I remember they called Jon Snow outside to uh, prove a point.

So you missed the one where Tyrion discovered that he was a Warg and Jon Snow became an ice zombie?

The last episode you watched was the season finale. Duh.

Last edited: