Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 450 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
There was also a contingent of people who swore that Sansa wasn't raped. No one is claiming Shireen wasn't burnt alive against her will. So there's not as much to argue about. Is anyone really going to stand up in defense of child burning?

Well, she did offer any assistance she could to her father right before. She gave consent to help. Was she of sound mind or under duress when she gave consent to help? Was she misled in any way? After realizing she was going to be burned, was she of sound mind to be able to revoke consent?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Hey, Mods, is this the non book spoiler thread? It seems as soon as one thing happened in the show that didn't happen in the books that people seem to have completely thrown out the fact its the NON book spoiler thread.

Could the Mods take some action? Up to an including bans on people who post book spoilers like was done before when it happened.

Thanks from someone who relies on this thread to enhance their enjoyment of the show, and is having it ruined by people who won't post in the correct forum.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Right. My point was, it's ironic to me how people flipped their shit over the Sansa scene (a depiction of what unfortunately happened often) but I haven't seen people flipping out over a little girl being burnt alive, which one could argue is many times worse than what Sansa had to endure.

Both of those things, plus the young girl being taken away to be abused are all things that I'm sure happened with out consequence throughout human history. It's funny though how people latched on to the scene with Sansa and cried out how horrible it was to show rape on TV, despite all the other horrible things that have been shown.

Just on observation.

Seriously you haven't figured it out yet?

Sansa is hot and is of age while Shareen is too young and is deformed.

Or, the real answer, not everyone agreed with what happened in Sansa's scene, therefore people became louder in their opinions only because of the disagreement. Everyone is in agreement with Shareen's scene, thus nothing to get upset with each other over. Happens a lot throughout human history.

Maybe you need to learn what the word "irony" means ;)

Feb 6, 2007
Hey, Mods, is this the non book spoiler thread? It seems as soon as one thing happened in the show that didn't happen in the books that people seem to have completely thrown out the fact its the NON book spoiler thread.

Could the Mods take some action? Up to an including bans on people who post book spoilers like was done before when it happened.

Thanks from someone who relies on this thread to enhance their enjoyment of the show, and is having it ruined by people who won't post in the correct forum.

Report the offending posts via the "report" button. Just making some "why doesn't anyone do anything" post isn't going to help. But out of curiosity, who posted book spoilers? Because I'm not seeing any...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
If it happened in the show and not in the books, how can that be a spoiler you twit?

What DIDN'T happen can be as much of a spoiler as what did. For example, I never get anxious when a certain character is in peril because I know he/she didn't die after George R.R. Martin threatened to kill said character if we aren't nice to him. Thanks for removing a lot of the suspense, jerk!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I hope those people have been "paying attention," then. Coming after Arya is likely to get yourself stuck with a different type of pointy end.

I guess this is the week that she recovers her needle from the rocks.

Probably, but that might be a little tough to sneak in there.

She does a dagger pretty well, like when she stole the Hounds, and does have a little of poison there also....

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
What DIDN'T happen can be as much of a spoiler as what did. For example, I never get anxious when a certain character is in peril because I know he/she didn't die after George R.R. Martin threatened to kill said character if we aren't nice to him. Thanks for removing a lot of the suspense, jerk!

With almost every main storyline being completely different, there is very little left to spoil. And, we don't even know if that is going to happen.

Saying that the scene with Dany in the pits and flying off on her dragon is drastically different than in the books and ended in drastically different results which I won't outline, doesn't spoil anything.

If anything, things omitted (characters, storylines, etc) from the show spoils a lot for the books. Characters thought to be major are completely removed as are vast storylines. Characters doing things not done in the books also changes what were cliff hangers at the end of last novel.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Hey, Mods, is this the non book spoiler thread? It seems as soon as one thing happened in the show that didn't happen in the books that people seem to have completely thrown out the fact its the NON book spoiler thread..

People aren't really doing that this season. Technically, there was one post from the books about characters already dead (aka it can't spoil the show).

In other words, what 'chu talkin' 'bout Willis?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
There's also the men of the Night's Watch who killed Craster and took over Craster's Keep and started raping his daughter-wives. That was pretty disturbingly portrayed. The Witch who kills Drogo mentioned being raped, but it wasn't shown (just her being saved from a likely rape). Sansa was saved by the Hound from an attempted rape at the hands of angry rioters back in Season 2. But yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking of 50 different instances of rape on the show...

Yeah,Craster was doing it more or less himself though never shown I guess.

Sansa almost was the day Joffrey got shit bombed and the Hound saved her then, he was considering it himself even after he got her alone but didn't.

Pillage, Murder, and Rape is normally the SOP in these things I guess, they just show more of it in the series than most have in the past i guess. Is probably more accurate.

Kinda like the Viking version of Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll saying.

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Report the offending posts via the "report" button. Just making some "why doesn't anyone do anything" post isn't going to help. But out of curiosity, who posted book spoilers? Because I'm not seeing any...

Last time I did that people were given vacations. Hopefully they will read this and not force us down that road again.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Only one of those was rape (Crastor), if anything you would classify the others as rescues not rapes, which kind of defeats the argument that women being raped on the show is bad. Because stopping rape is good...

Joffrey didn't rape anyone, he tortured and murdered them. The sex was paid for and agreed on, it just didn't happen.

It's one thing to say the plot device is overused, but I get a SJW vibe when people complain.

Who was complaining? Rape (actual, attempted, happened off screen) is a often used plot point in the series. The end.

And using SJW as a pejorative is so adorable.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Last time I did that people were given vacations. Hopefully they will read this and not force us down that road again.

Read what? You literally aren't saying anything of value. You're just blindly bitching about people posting spoilers when they aren't.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Read what? You literally aren't saying anything of value. You're just blindly bitching about people posting spoilers when they aren't.

I saw a big spoilered post earlier that was preceded by a large image. Didn't click the spoiler because I can't know what kind of spoiler it is. If it was a spoiler for the latest episode that already aired, then the spoiler tags are not needed. If you use spoiler tags in this thread now, you're talking about events in the books.

...and you should not be talking about the books.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I saw a big spoilered post earlier that was preceded by a large image. Didn't click the spoiler because I can't know what kind of spoiler it is. If it was a spoiler for the latest episode that already aired, then the spoiler tags are not needed. If you use spoiler tags in this thread now, you're talking about events in the books.

...and you should not be talking about the books.

that post in question wasn't a spoiler... under the spoiler blackout, it just said "spoiler"

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

That has been typical, actually.

And pretty stupid to begin with.

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Folks, I have been asked to reiterate that there exists a separate thread for the book, and that NO SPOILERS from the book are to be posted here.

Perknose
Forum Director

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
A casual viewer here.

How much time has elapsed since the dragons hatched? Feels like eternity.

All that time and the dragon is barely a size of a SUV. It's injured easily by a handful of men throwing spears.

It's gonna get bigger, no? I want it to go to town killings companies of men and shrugging off most hand-held weapons.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
A casual viewer here.

How much time has elapsed since the dragons hatched? Feels like eternity.

All that time and the dragon is barely a size of a SUV. It's injured easily by a handful of men throwing spears.

It's gonna get bigger, no? I want it to go to town killings companies of men and shrugging off most hand-held weapons.

time is weird in the GoT universe and almost never explained... my guess, with no evidence, is maybe 3-4 years.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
time is weird in the GoT universe and almost never explained... my guess, with no evidence, is maybe 3-4 years.

Probably about right, those dragons still babies more or less.

Dragons are like elves I think more or less, not sure if they die natural deaths in many stories in mythology, and just continually grow.

I guess is like how Vampires vary in a lot of things you see, etc.

It's not hard science I guess, why it is a fantasy thing :)

Last edited:

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
A few seasons ago, Melisandre said Stannis would betray everything he believed in but it would be worth it. The burning of his daughter is how far he has sunk going along with the fire god. But at least he'll take winterfell, if the visions about him being on the ramparts of winterfell are true.

Interesting. You could also read that as betraying the fire god since he seems to believe that shit. Still, I hope he dies horribly :D

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
The more I think about it the more I agree; whoever posted Stannis takes WF, and Brienne kills Stannis is right.