Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 431 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Given their strength shown while tossing Jon around, I don't see why they couldn't just chuck one of their weapons like a spear. If that happens, they can totally rip of the WarCraft series and create Frost Wyrms like the Lich King! :awe:

"Suffer mortals... as your pathetic magic beeeetrays you!"

*Shudder*

GTFO

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Anyone have a "planetary" view the GoT planet? What about its solar system? I want to see all this from orbit. I mean if winter only comes like every 1000 years... that is one heck of an orbit/rotation.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I thought the Dragons were pretty much only in Valyria until the Targaryen people started spreading them? So unless they exported a lot of steel from Valyria how would they have had dragon steel in Westeros?

Maybe the children of the forest were involved with their magic bombs, seemed to work pretty good on the skeletons.

i'm sure there was trade between the former kingdom of Valyria and what is now the 7 kingdoms

given valerian steels other properties im sure every noble house had a sword or 2

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
I thought the Dragons were pretty much only in Valyria until the Targaryen people started spreading them? So unless they exported a lot of steel from Valyria how would they have had dragon steel in Westeros?

Maybe the children of the forest were involved with their magic bombs, seemed to work pretty good on the skeletons.

The Targaryans gave each of the Lords of the 7 (6? since Dorne was left out?) Kingdoms a valeryian steel sword as a nice thank you after conquering them. These swords were then passed down through the generations. This is where Ned Stark's sword came from.

Not sure how Lord Mormont got his, which he then gave to Jon.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

Mostly trade one would assume but when Valyria was destroyed I would assume the immigrants from the city that escaped to westeros brought some also.

Also they know how to reforge the steel, make 2 smaller swords out of a longer sword or such, but just don't know how to make more of it but it is rare and very valuable thus we see so little of it.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Do you really want to pick up some magical sword made out of ice? ;)

Yes! In this universe there are dragons, smoke monsters, white walkers, giants, Sinbad skeleton dudes, shape shifters, stone people, etc, etc, etc. If some dude on the side of the road is selling magic beans, I'm buying them all.

i'm glad the giant made it out :D

Yeah, that dude was badass. Had that 'I dont give a bleep' attitude going on.

Last edited:

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
And to think the exchange between Tyrion and Danaerys was gonna be my favorite part of the episode about halfway through..

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
did anyone else enjoy the silent credit roll? it reminded me of the silent clock at the end of certain 24 episodes. and the tension was definitely still up from the end of the episode.

Yeah. The final ~3 shots were gorgeous.

Jon Snow: "Holy fuckballs we are so epically fucked."

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
They seemed to take notes from Hans Zimmer's Interstellar score. In particular, the ticking time you hear when they are rushing through the gate. Intense.

It's at 1m 30s here (huge Interstellar spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhlU3ikw8sA

no idea, not even sure if the books say.

the Targaryns and their dragons only came to westeros 300 or so years ago

the wall was built many thousands of years ago. not sure if dragons were involved or just the first men , but I would assume dragon steel was around

"Dragon glass" was around. Sam found it under that shield at The Fist with the implication that it was left there after a battle with the walkers thousands of years earlier.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Question. Is the information in the Game of Thrones Wiki cool to mention here or are things in there not specifically mentioned in the show verboten?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Anyone have a "planetary" view the GoT planet? What about its solar system? I want to see all this from orbit. I mean if winter only comes like every 1000 years... that is one heck of an orbit/rotation.
You haven't been listening. It obviously isn't linked to any planetary motion because seasons are unpredictably variable in length, often lasting several years. They made this clear from the very start. It has been thousands of years since the last winter that brought white walkers, but it hasn't been thousands of years since the last winter. It has been unusually long since the last winter such that most of the young characters like Jon Snow don't remember it.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Question. Is the information in the Game of Thrones Wiki cool to mention here or are things in there not specifically mentioned in the show verboten?

The problem is you would have to make sure it's being referred to the show and not the books and some pages don't say the difference.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
You haven't been listening. It obviously isn't linked to any planetary motion because seasons are variable in length, often lasting several years. They made this clear from the very start. It has been thousands of years since the last winter that brought white walkers, but it hasn't been thousands of years since the last winter. It has been unusually long since the last winter such that most of the young characters like Jon Snow don't remember it.

this

all of the older characters like Ned Stark and Tywin have seen winter

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
They seemed to take notes from Hans Zimmer's Interstellar score. In particular, the ticking time you hear when they are rushing through the gate. Intense.

Ramin Djawadi, the GoT composer, is sort of a "disciple" of Hans Zimmer. Zimmer found Djawadi and brought him into his company. Although, I don't know if Djawadi still works there today.

Unless things are radically different in that mythical world, seasons are determined by a planet's tilt and the latitude of the place in question. :p

Sorry... I figured that might bring back some bad memories for you. :(

Yeah. The final ~3 shots were gorgeous.

Jon Snow: "Holy fuckballs we are so epically fucked."

I looked at that scene as the White Walkers saying, "This is your future, mortal!"

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes! In this universe there are dragons, smoke monsters, white walkers, giants, Sinbad skeleton dudes, shape shifters, stone people, etc, etc, etc. If some dude on the side of the road is selling magic beans, I'm buying them all.

Nice! I was thinking Jason and the Argonaughts, but I think it's all the same dude: Ray Harryhausen

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
so how many people died at hardhome? from the tv show, it seemed like they saved maybe a few dozen people, and 10s of thousands died.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
And to think the exchange between Tyrion and Danaerys was gonna be my favorite part of the episode about halfway through..

I know!

my first thought of the episode: How to resurrect a dead and terrible storyline? Inject a little Tyrion and all your past faults are forgiven. It was easily one of my favorites of the season at that point already.

The Arya stuff was decent, too, though still a bit cryptic. Not much a achieved with Cersei, really, from what we assumed would be her state last week. The only purpose of that scene was to inform us that King dickless was all sadface in his room, throwing a tantrum, and that her Uncle was invited back to the council. I mean...why not actually show that stuff? We really don't need 3 minutes of screen time for exposition that have been better shown; unless it's some Union bollocks with working time for minors (King Dickless is a minor, right?)

Only thing missing was Stannis, but Ramsay's planned assault looks to bring some badassery next week....and the new pair which we have all come to adore. Hopefully next week...

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Nice! I was thinking Jason and the Argonaughts, but I think it's all the same dude: Ray Harryhausen

Ahh, your right, it was Jason and the Argonauts. I always confuse those two movies.

so how many people died at hardhome? from the tv show, it seemed like they saved maybe a few dozen people, and 10s of thousands died.

I think Jon said they saved about 5000, and that was before the walkers attacked. Stannis's army was estimated at around 5000 in the Bolton strategy scene. It does look like the toughest guys stayed behind to fight, but I would think even 2000 capable warriors is still a significant number. Better than the 50 or so crows they have at the wall.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

He commented they had five thousand although I am not sure if that's the total they had on the boats at the time or only those that were waiting to be shipped to the boats.