Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 418 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
I can't get this obsession about rape within GoT. Not just on this thread, but everywhere online.

This is a fictional TV series that is full of thugs and their thuggerie. There's all sort of depravity shown, most of which escapes punishment, or even scrutiny.

The guy in question imprisons people, castrates them, takes over life and property. He flays people alive - even kids, and that happens to be the sigil on his flag. Not to mince words - he is a murderer, many times over. For all the murders that happened in the past, even that castration episode, the reaction has been meh compared to this rape. I heard some elected US Rep or senator or somebody (female) has tweeted that while the castration episode was bad, this rape was worse as it makes her go away from the GoT series.

So effectively everybody seems to make rape a worse crime than castration, or even murder. Well, it is not. It's a major crime in today's world, but even here murder is worse; slavery is worse; and many other things.

But in the world of GoT, rape is just one more of the bad things that happens to the weak, or even the strong caught in a weak position. Interestingly, the actress playing Sansa has said that she liked that episode, particularly that rape in front of Reek. So obviously she sees it as a twist in a fictional tale. That's all it is.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
So, because it wasn't technically rape, somehow *I* suck as a human being? Puh-leeeze.
no, you suck as a human being because it was rape and you're failing to empathize with that fact

She didn't just put herself in the situation. She consented and never revoked consent. This isn't The Butterfly Effect.
Either you're sociopathic, trolling, in massive denial, or are just straight up ignorant, maybe a combination of any or some others I might be missing. Sansa never consented to Ramsay's sexual advances, she never needed to revoke any consent because she never gave it. Then her cries of obvious trauma/distress would be enough to convince any jury with any shred of human empathy. Even the dehumanized Reek could see what you fail to.

The assault happened AFTER the scene in question, AFTER the idiots screaming "RAPE!," AFTER the politicians calling for boycotts. If the argument is whether that was rape then or not, it's kinda hard to consider such things.
no, she was raped in that scene and apparently many times after, at best the writers simply failed to convey that fact for people as apparently dense as you

the people calling for boycotts are likely hypocrites for failing to do the same to the crimes enacted upon Theon that are just as bad if not worse, or any of the other horrible things that happen to many other characters in this universe. If anything Sansa hasn't suffered nearly as bad as those who have had it the worst. Heck, this episode (7) is an excellent example of that fact when Theon/Reek shares that what Sansa is experiencing can get much worse...

She consented and had not revoked her consent by the end of the episode in question and yet you and others were screaming "RAPE!"
wrong, and now it seems possible that your position might simply be one of severe overreaction. I'm not screaming "RAPE!", I'm simply acknowledging that she got raped. I have no more problem with Sansa getting raped than I had with Theon being brutally tortured.

As far as you know it was every bit as undesirable as she expected and agreed to except for the obviously unexpected presence of Theon.
again, it is entirely possible to consent to rape. If someone presents you with the option of death or sex, not choosing death is not the same as consenting to lawful sex.

If it wasn't technically rape, it wasn't legally rape.
except it was rape, and would legally be rape in our society, although not most of Westeros (although some more civilized characters such as Tyrion would see it for what it really was)

The only way to compare it to our legal system as so many have tried to do is if there were an expectation of intercourse with the choice of marrying him, which could be in a written contract for all I care. It wouldn't be rape in our courts either.
yes it would. In modern society, husbands and wives do not owe each other sex. That simple fact is what people are empathizing with, and some are simply too fragile to be watching Game of Thrones.

For the record, beating your wife is an entirely different crime. Every sexual encounter they have after that can be construed as rape, but that was not a factor in the wedding night no matter how much you wish it were.
this is where you fail to recognize the story being told here, I can only hope its because you are dense and/or in denial to try and protect yourself from imagining the horror of the truth; Sansa was raped, plain and simple, shit happens in this horrible world of Westeros, and Theon is right, it could be worse.

Think about this: if they never showed a single frame of that wedding night scene and we jumped straight to what we see in last night's episode with the spoken implication that they consummated with Theon's forced presence, would we have politicians calling for a boycott? Such BS from sensitive idiots. "Waaaaah! I can't stand to witness unfortunate things happening to a character on a fictional TV show so I'm going to pretend that it means there is something wrong with the show, those who produce the show, and those who don't boycott it along with me! Oh! And I'm also going to FORCE people to agree that it was rape even though it wasn't by any legal definition!"
this is where I think you're pretty badly screwed up, because now it seems like you're in denial that it was rape simply because you're upset with the fact that other people are irrationally upset with it. I'm not upset with it in that way, not at all. Does it suck that Sansa got raped? Sure, I wasn't enjoying that scene, but it happened, and for better or worse it will affect her character moving forward. Sometimes characters just up and die without doing something great like we expect them to (Ned, Renly, Robb, Oberyn...) Sansa getting raped is something I find far less objectionable than Catelyn getting her throat slit after watching her son get murdered right after his pregnant wife (and every other man/woman supporting house Stark)

It was every bit as disturbing as a rape scene, but it wasn't rape. When Edward Norton's character curb-stomped the guy in American History X, it was disturbing, but it wasn't rape (that happened later). Add pragmatic though undesirable consensual sex to it and it doesn't make it "rape."
see its hard to get a read on you, maybe you're just caught up in the semantics of legality, when the simple fact of the matter is that it was and has been made crystal clear that Sansa was not ok with Ramsay's advances, and any level of consent she had previously given or implied no longer applied.

Once again, this isn't The Butterfly Effect. She was given ANOTHER out just before the wedding. She didn't take it.
Once again, she didn't know she was going to be assaulted on her wedding night. Awkward/uncomfortable sex is not the same thing as sexual assault.

There was nothing clearly unexpected about the wedding night except Theon's presence, which does not make it "rape." As far as you or I knew, everything else from that night was within her expectations of Ramsay when she agreed to marry/consummate. Got it? You cannot call it "rape." Stop trying so hard. You sound desperate.
not consenting to Ramsay's sexual commands/advances when the time came is all that is necessary for it to be rape when Ramsay then proceeded to take her without that consent. Sex isn't something you sit down and agree to before having it and then there is no take-backs after that "handshake", if you're thrown a curve ball like surprise buttsex...oh but you already "consented", your ass is mine now!

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I can't get this obsession about rape within GoT. Not just on this thread, but everywhere online.

This is a fictional TV series that is full of thugs and their thuggerie. There's all sort of depravity shown, most of which escapes punishment, or even scrutiny.

The guy in question imprisons people, castrates them, takes over life and property. He flays people alive - even kids, and that happens to be the sigil on his flag. Not to mince words - he is a murderer, many times over. For all the murders that happened in the past, even that castration episode, the reaction has been meh compared to this rape. I heard some elected US Rep or senator or somebody (female) has tweeted that while the castration episode was bad, this rape was worse as it makes her go away from the GoT series.

So effectively everybody seems to make rape a worse crime than castration, or even murder. Well, it is not. It's a major crime in today's world, but even here murder is worse; slavery is worse; and many other things.

But in the world of GoT, rape is just one more of the bad things that happens to the weak, or even the strong caught in a weak position. Interestingly, the actress playing Sansa has said that she liked that episode, particularly that rape in front of Reek. So obviously she sees it as a twist in a fictional tale. That's all it is.

this

I find it mind boggling that people are so upset over the people upset about the rape that they deny the rape.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
this

I find it mind boggling that people are so upset over the people upset about the rape that they deny the rape.

You couldn't rape your wife in the time period in which this show is based. She was required to put out anytime the husband wanted it.

Mar 10, 2005
the gift

castle black, pt1
ser alastair crowley is still an asshole.

winterfell, pt1
sansa is in pretty rough shape, clearly being abused to hell by ramsay. theon finds ramsay sitting in the broken tower - i saw that coming a mile away.

castle black, pt2
maester aemon's death is very well done, imo. i'm not sure why this scene (or most scenes, for that matter) needed to be split in 2.

winterfell, pt2
it seems they keep doing this to get from A to C without covering B.

somewhere north of winterfell (known as "the gift")
stannis' momentum is fading. is he really willing to sacrifice his daughter for the thone? yikes!

castle black, pt3
the night's watch is made up of thieves, rapists and murderers, still. honestly, gilly being attacked could have happened the day after she arrived there. the wolf saving them was another thing i saw coming a mile away, but i expected the wolf to tear them up. this leads up to the most realistic sex scene ever in game of thrones. another gift.

mereen, pt1
tyrion convinces the slave buyer (don king?) to take him with jorah, and the buyer slaps a handful of coins into the trader's hand. in the very next shot, the buyer has more coins in his hand to flip around. perhaps more gifts?

as lousy as daario neharis is, his idea of killing every single master is probably danerys' best option.

king's landing, pt 1
lady olenna's usual prowess is totally ineffective against a true believer, but it was pretty clumsy the way the writers simply tried to pay him off. a better approach would have been "i know you don't want gold, so what do you want?"

dorne
jamie is ignorant of myrcella's total disconnect from the family, and fails to point out the obvious - they've already tried to kill you once.

bronn's scene is fucked up. the poison is apparently activated by the sight of boobs. then she let's him off the hook. her gift to him? it could have easily clinked off the bars and landed out of anyone's reach, which could be a good way to kill someone off. at least we're treated to a little song which adds a lot to the sense of immersion. and the hot sand snake. gifts for us!

king's landing, pt2
baelish gifts olenna "a handsome young man" but if he's referring to lancel condemning cersei, wasn't that happening with or without baelish?

mereen, pt2
jorah sees danerys at the pit, and decides now is his time. he sweeps through the surviving fighters like the angel of death, only he doesn't actually kill anyone. the gift of life?. tyrion is trying to file his way out of chains like an old cliche when the guard chops his chains with a sword??? ok. the guard has given the gift of freedom, the freedom to run directly out to the fighting pit. anyway, tyrion announces himself as jorah's gift to her. will she keep him? no receipt so you can't return him. leave him in the closet? a ha! re-gift him!

king's landing, pt3
cersei brings margaery a gift of her leftover dinner, the first gift that's refused in this episode.

cersei's religious fanatics inevitably turn on her. i'm reminded of egyptian president and father of modern terrorism, anwar sadat.

Last edited:

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
I'm a little confused. Even if it was supposed to be rape why are people so upset? was it not it expected of Ramsey to be brutal??

Also, this last episode was almost unbearable to watch. Seemed like it was directed and shot by a 12y/o. The prison boobs scene and the fight scene in particular were horribly shot with silly pans and zooms, rushed dialog. I agree with whoever said it before, the prison scene seemed like an afterthought.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Being forced to sex = rape.

Fictional rape is not rape, just as fictional killing isn't real killing.

If rape was shown as a good thing or something generally accepted I could understand what all the fuss were about. But those who commits rape in GoT are the few characters who are the really bad guys.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Also, this last episode was almost unbearable to watch. Seemed like it was directed and shot by a 12y/o. The prison boobs scene and the fight scene in particular were horribly shot with silly pans and zooms, rushed dialog. I agree with whoever said it before, the prison scene seemed like an afterthought.
Yeah, that prison scene seemed completely superfluous. But who knows, maybe they were setting it up for something in the future.

BTW, even with the little screen time he got this episode, I loved Peter Dinklage's character again. I'd say that's my favourite character, and I love the humour.

My second favourite character is Arya Stark. Too bad her story isn't moving quicker. And I also like Sam. Brains (and a great big dog?) over braun. His dragonstone gift will undoubtedly come in very handy.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
JUST LET IT GO

This discussion long ago jumped the shark and no one really cares.

HOW ABOUT "NO?"

It's a discussion thread. As long as someone cares enough to keep asserting something incorrect, I will try to convince them of what is correct.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
this

Wow. He was talking to YOU and YOUR KIND, smart guy. I'm trying to use reason and facts to shut you up because I SHARE HIS COMPLAINT. You don't.

"this," indeed. :rolleyes:

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
the gift

<snip>

winterfell, pt1
sansa is in pretty rough shape, clearly being abused to hell by ramsay. theon finds ramsay sitting in the broken tower - i saw that coming a mile away.

No, he did not find him in the tower. He went looking for him wherever he was, to intentionally betray Sansa. That look (or looks) he gave the tower was a red herring. He does not have the balls to buck Ramsey. Literally and figuratively.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
Interesting that nobody has mentioned the comeuppance Cersei seems to in for - she has set herself up so much for a fall, by empowering the Sparrows and deliberately emasculating her own son.

If ever there was a need for somebody to tell the 'king' - you have the power, just get the army out and rout these religious people out... But she has lost the opportunity, and there's nobody to teach the kid otherwise, with Jaime out of town too.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Wow, only on the internet will people argue that "have sex with me or else" isn't technically rape if the person chooses sex. Go try that argument in court and see how it works "but your honor, I only threatened her to get her consent, it was consensual!" Lol. Because on the internet, everyone is right!

Mar 10, 2005
Wow, only on the internet will people argue that "have sex with me or else" isn't technically rape if the person chooses sex. Go try that argument in court and see how it works "but your honor, I only threatened her to get her consent, it was consensual!" Lol. Because on the internet, everyone is right!

i'm from the internet. now have sex with me or else!

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Interesting that nobody has mentioned the comeuppance Cersei seems to in for - she has set herself up so much for a fall, by empowering the Sparrows and deliberately emasculating her own son.
Yeah, but I think it was inevitable, both as the story goes and as a plot device for such a show. Everyone hates her, and everyone knows the rumours about her. The Brazil Sam Lowry priest dude is too by-the-book to give her a free pass, esp. since there is a relative of hers in his group that can dish out the details. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered introducing that latter character.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

the fact that the whole Church plot was introduced by her cousin-lover Lancel seemed to be telegraphing it a little.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
That's some wild imagination you have there. Let me try to match it:
Samwell was raped by Gilly! He said it himself: he was "woozy!" He wasn't in any position to say "no." She knew that he didn't consent because she knew about his oath! Sam was clearly wincing and distressed, just like Sansa. He's probably heard all about how horrible Wildings are and was too scared to remind her of his vows!

Her consent was given WITHOUT THREAT. She gave it when she said "I take this man" and she gave it again when she willingly began undressing. NO THREATS WERE MADE. She only hesitated because Theon was there.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Jury: The accused has been charged with rape despite receiving consent in no uncertain terms. Contractual terms, even. The prosecution alleges that consent was revoked when the claimant winced and looked distressed, even though she knew it wasn't going to be unpleasant when she gave consent and there is no indication that it was more unpleasant than what she agreed to. I rest my case. Deliberate."

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Her consent was given WITHOUT THREAT. She gave it when she said "I take this man" and she gave it again when she willingly began undressing. NO THREATS WERE MADE. She only hesitated because Theon was there.

"Do I have to ask twice? I don't like asking twice."

-Ramsey after demanding that Sansa disrobe, and she initially didn't. Not my imagination.

If you don't recognize that as a threat, I don't know how you function in the world. Sansa also intentionally took her time getting her clothes off because she clearly didn't want to, people who want sex don't fiddle with their sleeve cuff for 30 seconds. Or are you one of those people who thinks rape can't happen if two people are legally married?

You seem to have a very selective memory when it comes to these scenes. You're wrong. Get over it.

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
ffs let it go

id rather this thread be filled with book spoilers again then have to read about when you fucking morons think is or is not rape

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, but I think it was inevitable, both as the story goes and as a plot device for such a show. Everyone hates her, and everyone knows the rumours about her. The Brazil Sam Lowry priest dude is too by-the-book to give her a free pass, esp. since there is a relative of hers in his group that can dish out the details. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered introducing that latter character.

Yeah the as soon as the high sparrow's talk with Lady Olena finished I figure something like that was going to happen. Given that he'd been off screen for a while it was possible Cersei had managed to corrupt him and turn him into yet another contact, but nope! Lol. She took a true believe and gave him an army, all because she was too petty to let her son leave the nest. I doubt Tywin would have made the same mistake.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
ffs let it go

id rather this thread be filled with book spoilers again then have to read about when you fucking morons think is or is not rape

I let it go before I started typing. The issue isn't up for debate unless we start changing long-standing dictionary and legal definitions and go into hypothetical land. We might as well debate whether the sky is blue or green.

In any case it is an important point. Sansa would be a radically different character if all of that was consensual, given her behavior.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

If ever there was a need for somebody to tell the 'king' - you have the power, just get the army out and rout these religious people out... But she has lost the opportunity, and there's nobody to teach the kid otherwise, with Jaime out of town too.

This seemed inevitable. In the beginning there was some question as to whether or not High Sparrow was what he said he was, but everything since then implied there was only one way for this to end up. Reintroducing Cersei's cousin, the acolytes carving symbols into their foreheads...these dudes are true believers. And aside from maybe Little Finger, no one has more sins in Kings Landing than Cersei. The funny thing is High Sparrow didnt even have to have a scheme. It seems the smartest person this season so far was Cersei's uncle. He knew she didnt know wtf she was doing and left.

For most of the season I thought these episodes were kinda meh, but this one actually advanced two major storylines significantly. It was almost worth it to see Cersei's vainglorious shit eating grin that she's had the last 4-5 episodes wiped off her face.

the hottest sand chick girl is now in the lead for finest pair in Westeros.

Yeah, her or Melisandre. I'm surprised some people are complaining about that prison scene. They dont really have any beef with Bronn, and he's a warrior like themselves so wtf, give him the antidote after making him squirm a bit. Better than killing off Bronn slowly after the worst fight scene in GoT. He deserves to go out like a boss.