Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 403 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Are they spreading the series too thin? There's too many different story lines going on and it looks like they are going to be splitting off again.

These are the story lines I see them now and coming up.

King's Landing with Cersei and the new king and queen
Daenarys
Breanne and Podric
Sansa and the Boltons/Theon
Jon Snow and the Wildlings
Stannis Baratheon and his family against the Boltons
And with Jon and Stannis going off, will we still have stuff going on at the wall?
Arya
Tyrion and Jorah
Bran at the tree
The woman in Dorne who wants to start a war

I might even be missing some...

I don't know though, a lot of them seem to be converging. This actually has felt like one of the tighter seasons from a story perspective, to me anyway.

KT

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I don't know though, a lot of them seem to be converging. This actually has felt like one of the tighter seasons from a story perspective, to me anyway.

KT

It certainly feels like everything in motion is partially connected, and not just separate story lines (Westeros and the free cities being the only real exclusions).

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Ever since Joffrey died, I'm not sure who do I hate more: Ramsay or Stanis' wife. She makes Lysa Arryn/Tully look almost like a marriage material...

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
It certainly feels like everything in motion is partially connected, and not just separate story lines (Westeros and the free cities being the only real exclusions).

Yeah, definitely. I'm really digging it. Even Dany's story is finally starting to come together.

mrs. stannis, for sure.

Ugh, agreed. Freaking hate her.

KT

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Agreed to the above. She's horrible, towards absolutely everyone, and the worst is to her own daughter. Ramsay didn't really do much yet this season, and we even got Sansa smirked at him when Bolton told them that he's going to have a boy.

Anyway, I got seriously bummed just now when I realized that we're half way through this season already. I mean, really? Damn it.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
wtf? Dany offering to marry that guy seems so out of character for her.

goodbye sir friendzone. we will miss u.

and I still cant believe they killed off Selmy.

where the heck is Dragoon flying off to?

and I think even tho both the show and GRRM will reach the same outcome for the end of the series, I think the show will start to diverge GREATLY from what GRRM has wrote/will write on getting to that outcome.

There have always been some differences, obviously. However, this season seems to diverge the most. There are a lot of simplifications, cut characters and plot lines vs what's happened in the books for this season's material. Some of the changes are pretty drastic.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
They are actually condensing story lines if you can believe it.

I think they should just take the time to show it all when they are running full-steam ahead into the end of their source material. :( Heck, they should be trying to stall and add filler. I'm not really complaining. I'm just worried.

Feb 6, 2007
Ever since Joffrey died, I'm not sure who do I hate more: Ramsay or Stanis' wife. She makes Lysa Arryn/Tully look almost like a marriage material...

I don't hate either of them, although Ramsay is clearly more cruel. But I just feel sorry for both of them. Selyse has been dealt a shitty hand; she lives in a time where a woman's worth is tied to her ability to bear male heirs, and she has utterly failed her husband in that regard. Couple her abject failure with her husband cheating on her with an objectively gorgeous fire-witch and her life is basically a Greek tragedy. And Ramsay has been denied by his father for basically his whole life, despite trying to do everything in his power to make him proud. Now that he actually has his father's begrudging respect, there seems to be a crisis of conscience. He's still a monster though; it's all he's ever known how to be.

Roose Bolton is clearly the biggest asshole on the show. He had everything and he traded it purely out of a lust for power. There's no "oh woe is me, my life has always been tragic" to mitigate the shitty things he's done; he's just a power-mad jackass who would watch the world burn if he could be king of the ashes.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I think they should just take the time to show it all when they are running full-steam ahead into the end of their source material. :( Heck, they should be trying to stall and add filler. I'm not really complaining. I'm just worried.

There is stuff that was terrible in the books they should just leave out:
Iron Isles crap

And, condensing some of the other stuff just solidifies it was filler in the novels, even if people don't want to believe it.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
This episode was boring.

Since its not really following the book anymore I can't just ask people who read the book what to expect. I feel like the storyline has become alot more shallow.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

how is that even a contest? Ramsay is a psychopath who likes torture and kill.

on her worst day, Selyse Baratheon is maybe a little bit of a bitch... you might be too if you've had to suffer through 3 stillborn sons, a husband who parades his mistress around in front of the world to see, and who's been forced to pack up and leave home to hang out in the frozen north of all places.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

on her worst day, Selyse Baratheon is maybe a little bit of a bitch... you might be too if you've had to suffer through 3 stillborn sons, a husband who parades his mistress around in front of the world to see, and who's been forced to pack up and leave home to hang out in the frozen north of all places.

A little bit? Selyse is a fucking wise and beautiful woman. Ramsay likely had just as hard of life. He is the bastard of a guy who is also a wise and beautiful woman and spent his entire life attempting to live up to a name he was never likely to receive.

Selyse has no place to be such a bitch. Fuck her. Ramsay, at least, has some motivations to his madness. He is attempting to obtain some kind of power.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I don't hate either of them, although Ramsay is clearly more cruel. But I just feel sorry for both of them. Selyse has been dealt a shitty hand; she lives in a time where a woman's worth is tied to her ability to bear male heirs, and she has utterly failed her husband in that regard. Couple her abject failure with her husband cheating on her with an objectively gorgeous fire-witch and her life is basically a Greek tragedy. And Ramsay has been denied by his father for basically his whole life, despite trying to do everything in his power to make him proud. Now that he actually has his father's begrudging respect, there seems to be a crisis of conscience. He's still a monster though; it's all he's ever known how to be.

Roose Bolton is clearly the biggest asshole on the show. He had everything and he traded it purely out of a lust for power. There's no "oh woe is me, my life has always been tragic" to mitigate the shitty things he's done; he's just a power-mad jackass who would watch the world burn if he could be king of the ashes.

I'm a bit confused. What did Bolton have before betraying the Starks? I vaguely recall him having some minor lands that fell under the Starks but now he's the ward of the north. That seems like a major upgrade.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
King's Landing with Cersei and the new king and queen
Daenarys
Breanne and Podric
Sansa and the Boltons/Theon
Jon Snow and the Wildlings
Stannis Baratheon and his family against the Boltons
And with Jon and Stannis going off, will we still have stuff going on at the wall?
Arya
Tyrion and Jorah
Bran at the tree
The woman in Dorne who wants to start a war

The thing is despite all the plotlines we only have five groups trying to get the throne, 6 if you split the queens.

1. The king's landing group
2. Stannis
3. White Walkers (kinda)
4. Daenarys
5. Littlefinger

The rest are just motivated by revenge (Arya, Dorne lady), defense (Snow), holding their position (Boltons), or wine (Tyrion). Bran is the only real King of the North left, but who knows what he is going for.

So the actual Game of Thrones is consolidating.

Feb 6, 2007
I'm a bit confused. What did Bolton have before betraying the Starks? I vaguely recall him having some minor lands that fell under the Starks but now he's the ward of the north. That seems like a major upgrade.

A major upgrade is "ruling" a land where everyone hates you, you have no allies or external support, the person who signed the deal to give you power in the first place is dead and someone with a significantly larger army who expects fealty is riding on your position at this very moment? That's clearly much better than having some minor land holdings and little concern of being killed by every single person you meet.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

She was like that well before she was dragged North. And maybe if she had a halfway-decent personality they'd let her join in. Seems like Melissandre would be down.

No excuse for her to treat her daughter like that.

"How do you know that?"
"Mom told me."

F her. Cersei's only positive trait is that she'd do anything for her kids, and Selyse can't even manage that. She has literally no redeeming qualities.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
She was like that well before she was dragged North. And maybe if she had a halfway-decent personality they'd let her join in. Seems like Melissandre would be down.

No excuse for her to treat her daughter like that.

"How do you know that?"
"Mom told me."

F her. Cersei's only positive trait is that she'd do anything for her kids, and Selyse can't even manage that. She has literally no redeeming qualities.

to the best of our knowledge, she's never cut a guy's dick off and forced him to eat it... that's a pretty redeeming quality imho.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
She's also under The Red Witch's influence more than Stannis. Much of what she does is in the name of The Lord of Light. That is the very same god who influenced a man to cut Varys' cock off. Blame Stannis for allowing that horrible influence in their lives.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
She's also under The Red Witch's influence more than Stannis. Much of what she does is in the name of The Lord of Light. That is the very same god who influenced a man to cut Varys' cock off. Blame Stannis for allowing that horrible influence in their lives.

Well it's not like she doesn't pull her own weight. She did have vagina ghost kill Renley, big fucking win right there. Without that assassination, the Stannis bro's could have mutually wiped each other out.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

They owned the Dreadfort, the place Roose left Ramsay in charge of when he he headed South with the Starks to take King's Landing. It's near Winterfell in the north, Ramsay left the Dreadfort to siege Winterfell where he captured Theon, and burned it to the ground.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008

Cersei is a bitch, but at least she has some redeeming features: she loves her kids, even Joffrey despite knowing he was a monster. And she knows she's a bitch.
Roose Bolton is certainly a major a**hole, but, unlike Ramsay, I don't get the feeling that he enjoys torturing and harming others for its own sake. He basically doesn't give a shit about others, he just wants power and assets, and all that matters are his own interests. Cersei is also somewhat like that. Ramsay is just a sadistic little prick like Joffrey was. And, like Cersei, I think both Ramsay and Roose do know what they are.

Yes, Selyse had stillborns and Stannis' household is, well, to borrow a quote from Gimli in LOTR: "You'd find more cheer in a graveyard".
But shunning her own daughter because of a physical deformation to the point I don't even feel Shireen is safe around her own mother, something even Stannis doesn't do. Or in the beginning of the 4th season I believe she was cheering and chanting as her own brother was being burnt alive with a smile on her face. That's far beyond any excuses. The religious fanaticism that gives rise to this "hollier than thou" attitude and the misguided sense of self-righteousness, that's what really makes me hate her. She shees herself as a deeply spiritual, pious person, as opposed to the horrible person she really is. And I really get the vibe that she's so brainwashed with this R'hllor, that it makes her happy that Stannis is sc*ewing Melisandre. Like trully happy, not just pretending. And as opposed to Cersei, she doesn't have the looks either...

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012

But to be fair the Lord of Light is also the same god that has made magic demon babies and brought people back from the dead. As far as religion in Westeros goes I'd peg this one as being one of the more credible. I don't think we've ever seen anything supernatural come out of people following the Faith of the Seven or the Old Gods of the Forest (although the Forest Children themselves are keeping up the magic pretty well)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
But to be fair the Lord of Light is also the same god that has made magic demon babies and brought people back from the dead. As far as religion in Westeros goes I'd peg this one as being one of the more credible. I don't think we've ever seen anything supernatural come out of people following the Faith of the Seven or the Old Gods of the Forest (although the Forest Children themselves are keeping up the magic pretty well)

Well, if what the warlocks said were true, magic was reborn when Dany had her babies. But, the Lord of Light has displayed "miracles" far more than any of the other gods. The faceless men and the old gods (forest gods) have done some minor stuff here and there, but nothing like making a shadow baby or reviving people.