Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 401 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Ned informed stanis of what was going on before he died
also its a bit diff in the books, as John Aryn (sp) and Stanis are looking into it from the start before John is killed

im not sure that's actually a spoiler or not as its old content but whatever
They made it clear that Jon was looking into it when he died mysteriously. That's what led Ned to look into it. Ned made the realization about why he died when reading the "...black of hair...black of hair...black of hair" bit. His honor made him support Stannis, hence the letter, but he knew that it had led to Jon's death and he tried to keep it on the down-low in King's Landing.

Mar 10, 2005
I like that we have inbetween characters like Stannis. Not quite as backwards ass evil a ruler as Joffry while not quite as sweet and benevolent as dany

she's killed how many 1000's? including 162 crucifixions, some of which were perfectly innocent.

They made it clear that Jon was looking into it when he died mysteriously. That's what led Ned to look into it. Ned made the realization about why he died when reading the "...black of hair...black of hair...black of hair" bit. His honor made him support Stannis, hence the letter, but he knew that it had led to Jon's death and he tried to keep it on the down-low in King's Landing.

down low? ned told cersei himself.

Mar 10, 2005
What show have you been watching? o_O

this one?

e6fd11bf84c578acd47a1ff12170f9b6.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
also its a bit diff in the books, as John Aryn (sp) and Stanis are looking into it from the start before John is killed

Ned knew that John Aryan was investigating this, which is what led him to discover Robert's bastard at the smithy, and his research in the book about the Baratheon and Lannister lines: "black of hair" and all that. Jeoffrey being the first "Baratheon" that is not black of hair.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

yep.

in the books, the letter Ned writes to Stanis is intercepted by Cersei, but since that never happens in the tv show, as far as we know, it reached Stanis.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
yep.

in the books, the letter Ned writes to Stanis is intercepted by Cersei, but since that never happens in the tv show, as far as we know, it reached Stanis.

assuming the same effect, I suppose, as in the show Ned just tells Cersei himself. Better for a show, as you can throw in a nice face-to-face scene.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
^The red whore said "you have king's blood in you" so um... yea he counts, no book spoiler about it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Plus, I hadn't read the books and realized it on my own from the show alone. Littlefinger talking to Sansa in that same episode sealed the deal for me.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
^The red whore said "you have king's blood in you" so um... yea he counts, no book spoiler about it.

When did she say it to Jon? I missed that part, are you sure she said it to Jon or Gendry?

Another thing is Stannis wasn't a king until his brother Robert died so is the whole king's blood magic thing supposed to float around from brother to brother or house to house when a king dies or is it all just smoke and mirrors.

Right at the end- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4D0attDaw

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
You know, people have been complaining about how bad Dany has gotten for a while now, but I didn't think she was really all that bad. Until now. I could sympathise with her inexperience and mistakes that were fairly well intentioned, but now she's just being a blood thirsty hypocrite without any ability to stand by her convictions.

Not long ago one of the sons of the harpies was captured, with a ton of evidence that he was behind recent murders. She's talked into giving him a fair trial, then one of the unsullied goes and kills him and for that he is executed on the spot. But now a bunch of unknown harpies kill someone who matters to her and she rounds up all the house leaders and randomly chooses one to be cruelly executed, with no evidence of wrongdoing whatsoever, while the rest are terrified and imprisoned. What happened to the standard of fair trial that was so important that someone who violates it must be put to death (forfeiting any right to trial himself)? Is this how she honors Barriston Selmy?

Then she flips it around entirely and decides to marry Hizdahr zo Loraq? Could she not at least stand by her crazy approach for more than a couple days?

Yeah I know, there's a good chance at least one of the house leaders is running the sons of the harpy and this could scare them out of it, but there's no way she can really operate as a good leader without some foundation of justice and fairness. Starting to wonder if maybe she wasn't spared from the Targaryen madness...

Another thing is Stannis wasn't a king until his brother Robert died so is the whole king's blood magic thing supposed to float around from brother to brother or house to house when a king dies or is it all just smoke and mirrors.

He's still not really a king. But at least house Boratheon today has Targaryen blood. Stannis and his brothers for example are one fourth Targaryen.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Old man Measter Targaryean of the Nights Watch becomes official badass #3 (after Jon Snow and Stannis). Stannis and even fat bastard are starting to grow on me.

Roose Bolton tells a love story, and we learn that he is basically Usay Hussein, of Baghdad. So...kind of a shitty dude.

Ser Friend Zone upgraded to
Ser Friend Stone
. At least he will soon have a +10d against fire.

The Tyrion/SFS/Old Veleria scenes were lovely.

Mar 10, 2005
a very rare episode with no king's landing, which is usually my favorite part. still a good show :thumbsup:

mereen, pt 1
like exophase pointed out it's another episode, another spin of the wheel of government. grey worm lays injured and i don't care. notice when that guy with the afro is seized, it's 2 dothraki that take him. remember the dothraki? those were some crazy days :p
so the heads of the great houses are taken downstairs for a bbq. she appears to swing wildly from trusting afro pajamas to not, again and again. anyway, check out the pool of water/retardant the sacrificial lamb is surrounded by as he's lit. nice gore here, too.

castle black, pt 1
good segue into this setting. maester aemon with some unexpected advice: YOLO bitches! alrighty then. we'll see if the wildlings want to play along and if the show can do this convincingly.

winterfell, pt 1
brienne and pod with a very brief appearance, i'm not sure it was even necessary. miranda does what she can, but she's a hell of a way off from the big time when it comes to playing the game of thrones. while she's small in scale, ramsay is just clumsy with the dinner. roose puts a stop to the bullshit and walda announces a baby. now sansa gets to watch him squirm. roose wraps this up with a heartwarming story about fatherhood.

castle black, pt 2
stannisbots, transform and roll out! and would someone finally kill mrs. stannis, plz?

mereen, pt 2
grey worm and messandre, probably the worst part of the worst part of the show. this doesn't exist in the books and i have no idea what it's supposed to add to the show. apparently "marriage" is what the wheel of government landed on today.

valyria!
this place looks pretty awesome. i totally missed this on the 1st viewing - look carefully, jorah is sailing directly into dozens of stone men! of all the ways to die in that world, getting pulled under like that felt pretty bad - you've goty to keep it fresh. it's not all chop chop, stab stab. aaaand we end with the classic
"i wasn't bitten by the zombie (uncovers wound when nobody's watching)"

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Is it crazy that I kind of love Stannis now? I mean, the "fewer" line alone...

KT

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The "previously on..." recap covered some things that don't seem directly related to this episode, like the Hodor/Bran/Rickon stuff. I thought we were going to get ahead of the books since we have heard that Bran's story-line is caught up already.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The "previously on..." recap covered some things that don't seem directly related to this episode, like the Hodor/Bran/Rickon stuff. I thought we were going to get ahead of the books since we have heard that Bran's story-line is caught up already.
I think they are just using it to remind users of things. Like, Theon claiming he killed Bran and Rickon, but the audience was already reminded they were alive. Sir Grey Scale is an interesting tidbit though.