Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 368 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
The way the show ended on episode 1 and 10 of this season really left me with a feeling that other shows simply don't. Seeing ayra get her pony in the end or riding off in a boat just says it all without a single word. Great stuff.
The show is great at stuff like this. A bunch of times they span this into the credits with the music. For example, after the red wedding, cut to credits NO music. It really let the previous scene marinate on the brain.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Right, because a couple of broken legs and immediate, top-notch treatment is the same as an already infected wound on top of multiple broken bones and deep lacerations on top of immobility without another living person for 10 miles.

It's a fucking work of fiction.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Tyrion was always related to the Starks in one way or another. He had the tender moments with Jon at the wall. Bran respects him because he gave him designs so he could ride a horse and inspired him that a gimp could still live. Of course he's married to Sansa, though I don't see that holding up.

Tyrion has a soft spot for bastards and cripples.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
If one wanted to find out what happens next in the series where should he start reading the books? I understand the many differences and I should start from the beginning (book 1) but If I wanted to start somewhere close to the end of season 4 where would that be? Just start book 4 fresh?

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
If one wanted to find out what happens next in the series where should he start reading the books? I understand the many differences and I should start from the beginning (book 1) but If I wanted to start somewhere close to the end of season 4 where would that be? Just start book 4 fresh?

Posted spoiler in this "no spoilers" thread removed.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
FYoGPf7.jpg

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

What you should do is read the later chapters of Book 3 concerning the Wall. The books move the story farther along than the series did. Also, read book 4 and 5 together, looking up what happens chronologically, rather than reading book 4 before book 5. They happen at the same time, one just happens in the East and the other happens in Westeros.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
there will be plenty of feigning outrage, particularly by cersei and i expect pycelle to throw in his 2 coins, but nobody will miss tywin.

i have to wonder if jamie will escape the backlash, maybe not fully but i'm sure cersei will prevent the worst from happening. certainly cersei/tommen will put a hit on tyrion and varys from across the sea.

another point of interest is how will tyrion and varys re-enter the westeros political scene? maybe they'll wait out the fall of the lannisters to a real boratheon? maybe they'll throw in with someone else, but certainly not a known magic-user.

not sure if we will hear much from Pycell--Cersei demoted him down to creepy old man; no longer creepy old man with influence.

BTW--I really like Pycell and especially the actor portraying him. I still think of that scene in season 2? where he's finished bedding the whore, goes on rambling about nonsense as he usually does, and as soon as she leaves, he drops his eternal old man act for a few moments to stretch and get ready. Then he puts on his robe and wizard hat, reintroduces the hunch, and saunters out of his chambers. Epic.

Feb 6, 2007
BTW--I really like Pycell and especially the actor portraying him. I still think of that scene in season 2? where he's finished bedding the whore, goes on rambling about nonsense as he usually does, and as soon as she leaves, he drops his eternal old man act for a few moments to stretch and get ready. Then he puts on his robe and wizard hat, reintroduces the hunch, and saunters out of his chambers. Epic.

That's Julian Glover, the same actor who played General Veers in The Empire Strikes Back and the bad guy in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He's fucking epic.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
not sure if we will hear much from Pycell--Cersei demoted him down to creepy old man; no longer creepy old man with influence.

Yeah I was just thinking about that scene yesterday. Love it. :D

KT

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
So everyone's money is on the black dragon showing up where there is a lot of snow. To be controlled by some kid. Why does that sound familiar?

how_to_train_your_dragon.jpg

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The show is great at stuff like this. A bunch of times they span this into the credits with the music. For example, after the red wedding, cut to credits NO music. It really let the previous scene marinate on the brain.

Yep. :) Good thing it's on HBO too. Nevermind the violence, if this were on network tv it would be all *fade to black but not quite*
DON'T MISS SUCH AND SUCH SHOW PLAYING MONDAY MONDAY MONDAY ON THE XYZ STATION DERP.

I mean just UGH. Let the show end on the emotional note it was going for damnit. :mad: That's a pet peeve of TV in general, though it wasn't nearly as bad as back in the 90's.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
So everyone's money is on the black dragon showing up where there is a lot of snow. To be controlled by some kid. Why does that sound familiar?

how_to_train_your_dragon.jpg
Someone already linked the appropriate reference to children riding dragons. None of this new fangled cartoon shit. :colbert:

Now get off my lawn. :mad:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Okay, thanks guys, I think I might just start from book 3 to make it simple.

I really don't think it will work. There are almost 3x more characters in the books so you are going to be missing a lot. Also some of the storylines in the show are completely different than the books, so it won't make a lot of sense. Just start from the beginning. Besides, book 4 and 5 are not nearly as good as book 1-3.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I really don't think it will work. There are almost 3x more characters in the books so you are going to be missing a lot. Also some of the storylines in the show are completely different than the books, so it won't make a lot of sense. Just start from the beginning. Besides, book 4 and 5 are not nearly as good as book 1-3.

I am fairly sure that with the exception of the Wall, everything relevant that happened is covered. The characters cut don't really add anything to the story except more characters to follow. The only part he would miss out on is what happens after Stannis captures Mance, as the show is saving that for next season.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I am fairly sure that with the exception of the Wall, everything relevant that happened is covered. The characters cut don't really add anything to the story except more characters to follow. The only part he would miss out on is what happens after Stannis captures Mance, as the show is saving that for next season.

Well, I guess my main point is it is kind of pointless to skip the best parts just to find out what happens. If you want to know just ask in the book thread.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Well, I guess my main point is it is kind of pointless to skip the best parts just to find out what happens. If you want to know just ask in the book thread.

That is true. But, I think (although since I didn't do this originally, I can't confirm) that reading books 4 and 5 in proper chronological order makes them much better.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Season 1, Episode 10.