Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 367 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Did anyone see Sir Alistair in the dead pile? I didnt and think he will be back next season.
I didn't see him, but I wasn't looking because I'm 99% sure he lived. When I re-watched the scene where he was injured it seemed like a moderate wound (slash to the gut iirc) that would heal if treated immediately.

I bet he'll be back, but get voted off the island like Slynt said. After all he did defending the Castle I'm sure Jon has solidified his position as something more than a steward.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I didn't see him, but I wasn't looking because I'm 99% sure he lived. When I re-watched the scene where he was injured it seemed like a moderate wound (slash to the gut iirc) that would heal if treated immediately.

I bet he'll be back, but get voted off the island like Slynt said. After all he did defending the Castle I'm sure Jon has solidified his position as something more than a steward.

they should move slynt into the kitchens or make him a steward. Would be great to see him serving Snow at dinner and cleaning the privy.

Does anyone know with as hard of a life as they have up there how come Samwell hasnt lost 100 lbs

How are the Fens or Thens or w/e their called gonna play nice when they get allowed past the wall? Canibalism isnt too kosher with Stannis probably..They are gonna be eyeing Samwell...

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Who says they are allowed past the wall? Hell I could see Stannis saying "fuck you, you lost, none of you get past the wall".

I think Jon will nudge him into something in the middle, but I can't see Stannis allowing everyone through, especially the Thenns.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Who says they are allowed past the wall? Hell I could see Stannis saying "fuck you, you lost, none of you get past the wall".

I think Jon will nudge him into something in the middle, but I can't see Stannis allowing everyone through, especially the Thenns.

Snow will explain to Stannis that every single person left on that side of the wall will turn into zombie and make defending the wall easier. After seeing a few Giants and wolves Stannis and Onion are smart enough to take the tactical victory and use the wildlings to defend the wall so he can turn his attention on the boltons. Stannis is gonna need a Stark in winterfell and having the bolton Army so close there is going to be an inevitable fight when Bolton looks to defend what he thinks is his north.

Anyone else know why they showed Moat Cailin in the intro when nothing happened there?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Snow will explain to Stannis that every single person left on that side of the wall will turn into zombie and make defending the wall easier. After seeing a few Giants and wolves Stannis and Onion are smart enough to take the tactical victory and use the wildlings to defend the wall so he can turn his attention on the boltons. Stannis is gonna need a Stark in winterfell and having the bolton Army so close there is going to be an inevitable fight when Bolton looks to defend what he thinks is his north.

Anyone else know why they showed Moat Cailin in the intro when nothing happened there?

yup, noticed Moat Cailin for the 1st time.
I'm guessing its going to play a role in the next season.

and yeah wildlings manning the wall sounds like a great idea. with Mance being leader.
but what will happen to the old Crow ways?

hm.. can the wall house 100k people!??!

02ranger

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2006

I really can't remember, but is Moat Cailin where the Reeds are from?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
yup, noticed Moat Cailin for the 1st time.
I'm guessing its going to play a role in the next season.

and yeah wildlings manning the wall sounds like a great idea. with Mance being leader.
but what will happen to the old Crow ways?

hm.. can the wall house 100k people!??!

doubtful, but they have something like 20 forts on the wall and only man 2 of them, so there is room for a goodly number of people...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

there's a ton of un-manned castles along the wall....

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Moat Cailin has been in the credits for the past few episodes. Not sure there is any significance to it; Braavos has been in the past several episodes even though we have only been there once and only really talked about it again this episode.

KT

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I think for this season they kept the same opening map video for every episode, unlike previous seasons where they would show spots on the map where events during the episode took place

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I think for this season they kept the same opening map video for every episode, unlike previous seasons where they would show spots on the map where events during the episode took place

It was pretty consistent, though I believe Moat Cailin was added part way through the season as I recall. However I do not think the places in the credits have the same relevance as they may have had in past seasons.

I mean they showed Winterfell all season...

KT

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

This finale was the first time I noticed it, but that makes sense. They used to show only the places where events would occur. Perhaps, this late in the season, they didn't want to give away in the opening what events were being wrapped up.

Either way, I still like seeing the Titan of Braavos!

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I'm pretty sure they added spots this season too. Moat Cailin and Braavos weren't in the initial opener, iirc. I think the problem with the later episodes is they only took place in ~3 locations and the song is so long. If you take one city out you have to replace it with another (basically) and there wasn't another to replace it with so they just left it.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Moat Cailin has been in the credits for the past few episodes. Not sure there is any significance to it; Braavos has been in the past several episodes even though we have only been there once and only really talked about it again this episode.

KT

It was the first time; wife and I stopped to read the name.

Brovos must be important; either Danny is going to do something regarding it or whatever ominous thing Tywin was afraid of will occur when Cersei's business acumen and general lack of two brain-cells to rub together makes her think "let's put everything on the credit card and then just not pay!"

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
It was the first time; wife and I stopped to read the name.

Brovos must be important; either Danny is going to do something regarding it or whatever ominous thing Tywin was afraid of will occur when Cersei's business acumen and general lack of two brain-cells to rub together makes her think "let's put everything on the credit card and then just not pay!"

Incorrect. Moat Cailin was in the credits for episodes 8 9, & 10.

Episodes 38, 39 & 40 : The Dreadfort is replaced by the castle of Moat Cailin.

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_title_sequence#Season_4

Agree on Braavos though. Definitely seems to be where a tonne of stuff is going to come together next season.

KT

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Think Jaime regrets freeing his brother now that it has led to the death of Tywin?

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Probably not, Jamie was one of the few who saw what Tywin was doing was bat-shit crazy. Sure there's the "omg you kill dad" reaction but I think he'll understand in the end.

Mar 10, 2005
there will be plenty of feigning outrage, particularly by cersei and i expect pycelle to throw in his 2 coins, but nobody will miss tywin.

i have to wonder if jamie will escape the backlash, maybe not fully but i'm sure cersei will prevent the worst from happening. certainly cersei/tommen will put a hit on tyrion and varys from across the sea.

another point of interest is how will tyrion and varys re-enter the westeros political scene? maybe they'll wait out the fall of the lannisters to a real boratheon? maybe they'll throw in with someone else, but certainly not a known magic-user.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The way the show ended on episode 1 and 10 of this season really left me with a feeling that other shows simply don't. Seeing ayra get her pony in the end or riding off in a boat just says it all without a single word. Great stuff.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
there will be plenty of feigning outrage, particularly by cersei and i expect pycelle to throw in his 2 coins, but nobody will miss tywin.

i have to wonder if jamie will escape the backlash, maybe not fully but i'm sure cersei will prevent the worst from happening. certainly cersei/tommen will put a hit on tyrion and varys from across the sea.

another point of interest is how will tyrion and varys re-enter the westeros political scene? maybe they'll wait out the fall of the lannisters to a real boratheon? maybe they'll throw in with someone else, but certainly not a known magic-user.
Tyrion was always related to the Starks in one way or another. He had the tender moments with Jon at the wall. Bran respects him because he gave him designs so he could ride a horse and inspired him that a gimp could still live. Of course he's married to Sansa, though I don't see that holding up.

Then there's Arya. If Tyrion goes to Pentos where Varys' buddy from season 1 is they are close. However Verys said they were going to the free cities, he didn't specify which. They could be headed to Braavos.

Arya, Tyrion, Varys. Please, let this happen.