Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 196 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
damn she is annoying. Her character has been shit on more than any other at this point, but holy hell I don't give a damn about her.

...I think it's the actor.

There was a ruckus when it was announced that they would swap actors this season. Too lazy to remember or check, so google the character name.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Sansa is the only character that I can't stand. Granted its how the character is written, but the endless whining and crying is really getting old.
damn she is annoying. Her character has been shit on more than any other at this point, but holy hell I don't give a damn about her.

...I think it's the actor.

Sansa was easily my least favorite POV characters in the first couple of books because she really was a blithering idiot, exemplifying the epitome of naivete.

That being said, she might be one of my favorite characters now...
she definitely starts to come into her own when Little Finger takes her on as a protege (although he probably is setting her up for his own devices, but its always possible his lingering feelings for her mother might screw that up, and of course if he does too good of a job in teaching her, that could backfire as well), doesn't take her long to have a major leg up on other characters in the 'game of thrones'.

as far as whether or not its the actress, that's to be determined, but as it stands now she could just be knocking the role out of the park as the character in the books up to this point is particularly lame and helpless

Was that Rob Stark's old sword they melted down? And I'm assuming that was the hide of his direwolf?
Yup. Ice. Valerian steel.

Not quite, it was Ned's sword (and should have gone to Robb/house Stark after Ned's death); they even used it to behead Ned...which is why they included that scene in the prelude flashbacks. Burning the hide of the direwolf was just symbolic icing on that cake of destroying the Stark heirloom sword... Of which the Lannisters lost their Valyrian steel ancestral heirloom sword long ago when one of their ancestors (Tommen II) went sailing to Valyria and was never seen since... and as rich as the Lannisters have been, Valyrian steel swords are considered priceless in Westeros, and it has been a goal of Tywin's to procure such a sword.

Great episode. Aria understands now what the Hound means when he says that killing is the greatest thing there is a she's starting to like it too.

I don't know if I like the show's portrayal, I always read her killings to be those where she's either fighting for her life, or she does it indifferently. This episode was pretty good, was definitely very calculating in her attacks, but I guess I'm referring more to her last killing where she used the coin trick to shank that dude. In the book that happened long before that scene as she was still with Gendry and Hotpie, and she used that trick to murder a guard to escape Harrenhal (the show just has Jaqen H'ghar do everything), and she does it in front of Gendry and Hotpie; tricking the dude to bend over for the coin and then slitting his throat as if it was as normal as tying her shoes, and of course it completely freaks out the boys.

Feb 6, 2007
Great first episode, but then again it's Game of Thrones, which has had exactly zero episodes that weren't great, so it's sort of par for the course, isn't it? The interplay between Cersei and Jaime will be interesting; according to my book-reading friends,
it's handled slightly differently in the books
, but I wouldn't know as I don't read. And am I alone in thinking that Aria and the Hound would be a great standalone show? I felt the same way with Brienne and the Kingslayer last season, and Aria and Tywin before that. And Tyrion and anyone at any point because that's GOLD Jerry, GOLD.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Remember also it was a Valyrian Steel dagger that was won by Tyrion in a bet long back that was given to the assassin to kill Bran in the first season that implicated him there to begin with in the whole thing with Kats sister then. Little Finger indentified it if I remember right gloating a bit over having info that Lord Varys didn't.

Is why Kat jumped on his arse when she came across him the pub going back North.

I'd have to go back and watch that part of the first season to see if they even mentioned that outside of the book, to be honest.

Just as a side note, more or less.

I believe was Joffrey that gave it to the assassin.

Arya will be an interesting development in the show overall, finally starting to see it happen.

not meaning to be a grammar Nazi or anything, but yeah, in the books her name is spelled Arya.

Last edited:

It's Not Lupus

Aug 19, 2012
The Mountain has been recasted again... :/

I didn't even realized the character was recasted until I rewatched the show.

mongrel, it's great you don't give a fuck about giving away spoilers. Luckily I'm caught up on the books.

lol, what an ass.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
The Mountain has been recasted again... :/

I didn't even realized the character was recasted until I rewatched the show.

mongrel, it's great you don't give a fuck about giving away spoilers. Luckily I'm caught up on the books.
Didn't realize I was, I could ruin the whole season if I wanted too, everything I've put up refer to past seasons.

Trust me my wife hasn't even read them all and I keep things from her, tempting as it is to do when she's laying in bed next to me watching and asks a question and I tell her I'm not answering.

I could spoil something about the Mountain right now and I won't.

Everything I posted above was in the first season. Long gone and maybe the show did not explain it as well as the book was my point.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
One of the biggest things I saw was Jaime being offered Casterly Rock, and passing over it to stay near Cersei and her blowing him off.

Do not remember if it happened in the book that way so fast.

Oberyn is definitely going to throw another wrench into the gears.

Last edited:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Great, another year of not being able to discuss this show in this thread because book readers. /exitstageleft

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Dick move. Thanks asshole.

He he, might be setting you up for bigger surprises.

I like doing that to the wife.

:ninja:

:biggrin:

The Black Watch gets a squadron of B-52's and carpet bombs all the White Walkers next week BTW.

Playing Game of Thrones in the thread a bit fun.

*plots*

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
As far as Shae.

:whiste:

I'm awaiting Joffrey's wedding, weddings on this show have a habit of being real interesting.
I'll leave it at that.

not exactly subtle, huh?

spoilers needed on that

lol--my last page was not the last page, apparently. glad it was addressed :D

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Who gave the assassin the blade hasn't been revealed yet in the show.

I am pretty sure this was revealed.
I am pretty sure I remember Joffrey saying it was pitty killing, revealing Little Finger to be the liar he was, to the audience, at least.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I hope the show writers just start trashing the books all together and go a different route at some point.

The bitter tears of the book fans would be sweet to my tongue. :)

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I am pretty sure this was revealed.
I am pretty sure I remember Joffrey saying it was pitty killing, revealing Little Finger to be the liar he was, to the audience, at least.

i do beleive something like that was said.
there is another scene that will come up at some point with other people involved reguarding it as well. It may be next ep actually

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I hope the show writers just start trashing the books all together and go a different route at some point.

The bitter tears of the book fans would be sweet to my tongue. :)

I actually think the differences they do are GRRM approved, and a lot of stuff he would do differently.

I liked the new episode (minus the character change). Also, having read the books, there are things I am so looking forward to!

Also, Arya's story is translating so well to the show. I don't know if it the aging of the character or the actress or a combination of both, but it is working. I love it.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
anyone know why they recast Dario (sp) i know the orig guy didnt fit the book description well but the guy who played him in the couple eps last season worked well IMO

Maligx

Aug 25, 2008
anyone know why they recast Dario (sp) i know the orig guy didnt fit the book description well but the guy who played him in the couple eps last season worked well IMO

I keep hearing he wanted more money

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000

The actor is working on a Transporter movie. Pretty sure that's a shitty career move regardless of whether or not it gets him more money now.

Also not sure why the replacement actor was suddenly changed to look like a pretty generic Westeros-style person instead of extremely exotic like Daario is supposed to be. I guess they wanted to make the change obvious?

Still, it's a huge change in presentation for that character.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The actor is working on a Transporter movie. Pretty sure that's a shitty career move regardless of whether or not it gets him more money now.

Also not sure why the replacement actor was suddenly changed to look like a pretty generic Westeros-style person instead of extremely exotic like Daario is supposed to be. I guess they wanted to make the change obvious?

Still, it's a huge change in presentation for that character.

I don't think it was that bad of a chance, considering the little screen time he got before this season. And, the fact that the original actor looked nothing like Daario was described in the book.