Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 152 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I was making fun of the "bedding ceremony" because George RR Martin totally invented it out of thin air I imagine.

Nah as it was a event that happened at times not to mention many other books have this but there are different versions also.

Hell in some places the priest would stand around watching to make sure the marriage was consummated.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
What happened where the guy with the young Stark girl arrived at a town?

He was turned away at the gate, it's not clear what happened next, but presumably he killed the guards, but it's not clear why the rest of the guards didn't go after him; and then all the chaos, the killing of the wolf - wasn't that the Stark pet - why did that happen, what was the chaos?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
What happened where the guy with the young Stark girl arrived at a town?

He was turned away at the gate, it's not clear what happened next, but presumably he killed the guards, but it's not clear why the rest of the guards didn't go after him; and then all the chaos, the killing of the wolf - wasn't that the Stark pet - why did that happen, what was the chaos?

He didn't kill the guards but he knew something was up with the activity and he wasn't attacked because he was not a target as they simply thought he was a villager bringing food.

As for the wolf getting killed it was a threat / belonged to the starks and they killed it before heading out for the rest of the troops the starks had camping outside the castle.

I am kinda sad they didn't keep the music playing like I recall in the books to hide the sound of the people getting slaughtered.

Last edited:

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
So basically, if Robb doesn't cut off Karstark's head for revenge killing Laninister's, causing him to look for a new army, they don't even go back to Frey and this never happens.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Meh, the last episode was totally expected, tons of foreshadowing, and that one character had been acting REALLY dumb for the past few episodes.

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
So basically, if Robb doesn't cut off Karstark's head for revenge killing Laninister's, causing him to look for a new army, they don't even go back to Frey and this never happens.

(Book stuff) If I recall correctly he also lost the Frey army. The only reason that army came back was because Walder Frey played nice to lure in Robb and Co. in for Red wedding. Roose was also purposely getting tons of Stark men killed to help the Lannisters.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
IIRC, I'm surprised at the change from the book, in that Robb's wife goes with him to the wedding and gets killed.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
IIRC, I'm surprised at the change from the book, in that Robb's wife goes with him to the wedding and gets killed.

Yeah that was a brutal scene but effective, it removes yet another future contender to the throne. Actually makes more sense then the book version.

Also it's cool to see Bran discovering his Warg abilities, and the wilding Warg scene was pretty good too.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Yeah that was a brutal scene but effective, it removes yet another future contender to the throne. Actually makes more sense then the book version.

Also it's cool to see Bran discovering his Warg abilities, and the wilding Warg scene was pretty good too.

I wonder if this is foreshadowing for the novel. I always thought Robb's kid was going to come back and have major part in the series, but maybe this means that the kid will have no part.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

To be fair his wife was talked about once the entire time in the books unless they go into it more in the latest one so they had to do something different as she had so much air time.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
This was the scene in the books where my friend gave up on the series and loaned them to me. I didn't know about the scene while reading, but unlike him I backed a different character.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
we have our first wizard :awe:

2qk1aaf.jpg

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The no music in the credits was perfect. These guys know how to let the shock pang through.

Fvcking awesome acting by Catelyn Stark. She was nothing but annoying for 3 years. What a heartbreaking performance.

she'll be back :eek:

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
This was the scene in the books where my friend gave up on the series and loaned them to me. I didn't know about the scene while reading, but unlike him I backed a different character.

Yeah that was the point where I was simply struck dumb. I just wanted to calmly take my iPad and hurl it across the room and say "I'm done"! However I was on a plane flight at the time so I couldn't do any of that...just read one of the most traumatic experiences in my literature reading in at least the previous 10-20 years and I had to force myself to stay in my seat all calm and everything :p

Last edited:

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
The change in the wife at least came to a close here. I still don't understand why they subbed Jane Westerling.

It's tough with all the small changes. They killed a worthless wife in this episode but in the book they kill Jingelbell instead.

The ages are bizarre too but I suppose there's not much they can do about it. Rickon is supposed to be 3-4 years old.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

yup.. the starks arent the brightest people in politics
ned, katlyn, robb

especially robb:
gee.. lets break this marriage promise to the freys by marrying a girl.
gee.. lets kills the head of the Karstarks, thus depriving him of 1/2 my army

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
They're some very vile creatures in this story. So much for the good conquering evil bit. Almost makes me thankful to be growing up in this time and age. They set you up, make the characters so lovable, and then shove them up my ass with a red poker at the end of the "Red Wedding" so far enough I cry from the pain. The only thing that this episode needed was bill and ted to drop in a telephone booth to do the air guitar and the giant fing nuke bomb in Terminator 2.

I see these books as kind of the atheist riposte to the Chronicles of Narnia, where being on the side of right was itself a guarantee of victory. Martin seems to feel that neither being good nor evil help you win.

To be fair, though, you could kind of see Robb's demise coming (if perhaps not so dramatically). He had kind of run out of paths to victory. While he was winning battles, his army was falling apart and the North was in shambles.

Not quite. The Frey's hold the best crossing of the Green Fork, and the only one north of the Ruby Ford. Robb wanted to head north to take it back from the ironmen (and retreat from the Riverlands). He really had no choice but to pay whatever price Walder wanted in order to cross.

Also,
the Red Wedding is just the start. Next season is likely to be one of the best seasons of TV you will ever see. It's just crazy the clip at which things happen.