Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
That's the only battle I remember being handled in real detail in the books. The rest are just covered in a who won, who lost, who died sort of generalization. I think Martin disliked the nuts and bolts approach to writing about battles, so they're almost all covered by a point of view by a character who is involved in either the planning or the aftermath and not in the fighting itself.

The Wall being attacked by the Wights and the the siege by Wildings

Martin does get pretty descriptive with the battles also, especially the various duels throughout the novels. I'm beginning to think you haven't read the novels at all.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

Martin does get pretty descriptive with the battles also, especially the various duels throughout the novels. I'm beginning to think you haven't read the novels at all.

he read the "game of thrones" cliffs notes edition. doesn't that count?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Eh - yes and no. I am not suprised he
died just that he died so meekly

That kind of surprised me.

Why the fuck didn't he go down fighting?

Why didn't he
announce to the crowd that Joffery was the inbred son of Cersei and Jamie?
I know he'd still
have been executed, but at least he'd have made it known WHY.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

Why didn't he
I know he'd still

I think he was hoping to have his children spared at least. Frustrating though. It'd be badass to have read an alternative universe version where he wasn't so damned single-minded. He could have duped littlefinger, told the king before he fucking died, and took out the queen and her brother and joffrey like a boss.

lol oops forgot tags to begin with

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Why didn't he
I know he'd still
that would have required him being smart.

if he was smart enough to have done that, he'd also have been smart enough not to confront Cersei without making sure all his ducks were in a row first and that his kids were protected.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Ned isn't stupid, he just exists in a world separate from everyone else, a world where honor matters.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

You think a couple of wights in a single room and a duel or two are equivalent to "battles"? ROFLMAO, even by ATOT standards that's monumentally ignorant. We're talking about epic, Lord of the Rings Battle of Pellinor Fields or Eddings Battle of Vo Mimbre or Feist the sacking of Krondor style of huge, sprawling conflicts, armies against armies, changing tactics, details of charges and retreats and how the tides turn to change defeat into victory. Huge battles take place in Martin's world, but other than The Battle of Blackwater/The Siege of Kings Landing they're never ever covered in detail in the books. There's a big build-up as the forces are marshaled and there's a big post-mortem as the casualties are reviewed and further strategies discussed. Whether it's Tyrion getting knocked out and missing his battle, Rob marching south to meet Jamie's forces while all we get is Katherine's perspective or even Khal Drogo sacking the village of the sheep men, you don't get details of the action. Martin always writes around that part, he doesn't like doing army vs army conflicts. They happen, but the only details discussed are prior to the battle or after the battle, never DURING the battle. That's abundantly clear to anyone that has read the novels and even more importantly, UNDERSTOOD them. Martin does not write in-depth battle scenes and if you think a duel is the same as a huge battle at least have the common courtesy to stay silent and be though a fool rather than speaking and removing all doubt.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
You think a couple of wights in a single room and a duel or two are equivalent to "battles"? ROFLMAO, even by ATOT standards that's monumentally ignorant. We're talking about epic, Lord of the Rings Battle of Pellinor Fields or Eddings Battle of Vo Mimbre or Feist the sacking of Krondor style of huge, sprawling conflicts, armies against armies, changing tactics, details of charges and retreats and how the tides turn to change defeat into victory. Huge battles take place in Martin's world, but other than The Battle of Blackwater/The Siege of Kings Landing they're never ever covered in detail in the books. There's a big build-up as the forces are marshaled and there's a big post-mortem as the casualties are reviewed and further strategies discussed. Whether it's Tyrion getting knocked out and missing his battle, Rob marching south to meet Jamie's forces while all we get is Katherine's perspective or even Khal Drogo sacking the village of the sheep men, you don't get details of the action. Martin always writes around that part, he doesn't like doing army vs army conflicts. They happen, but the only details discussed are prior to the battle or after the battle, never DURING the battle. That's abundantly clear to anyone that has read the novels and even more importantly, UNDERSTOOD them. Martin does not write in-depth battle scenes and if you think a duel is the same as a huge battle at least have the common courtesy to stay silent and be though a fool rather than speaking and removing all doubt.

Woah there little guy, don't get all ants in your pants. I was only yanking your chains. You said he doesn't get descriptive with the battles, but he does. You say with the exception of certain battles, which already contradicts to what you're trying to prove. What about the fight on the wall vs. the Wildlings hmmm? There's been 4 books, and he's been pretty descriptive with at least 3 big battles. Don't get so defensive, sheeesh.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
that would have required him being smart.

if he was smart enough to have done that, he'd also have been smart enough not to confront Cersei without making sure all his ducks were in a row first and that his kids were protected.

I've hesitated to mention this because I was thinking that the TV series would cover it, but it looks like they might be skipping over it. However, it's still possible that they might be somehow saving this for ep10, so be warned, this could be an upcoming spoiler:

Ned did arrange for his daughters to get away. What screwed him on that front was Sansa's idiocy. She was pissed off that he was sending her away from Joffrey and went and told Cersei about his plan. This is an unwitting but monumental betrayal; I'm not sure if they are deleting it from the TV series to make Sansa more sympathetic of if they've just delayed the revelation a bit.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Whether it's Tyrion getting knocked out and missing his battle

Uh, Tyrion did not get knocked out and miss his battle. That battle was covered in detail in the book. Here's an excerpt:

Shagga went bursting through the gap before the shields could close, other Stone Crows hard behind him. Tyrion shouted, “Burned Men! Moon Brothers! After me!” but most of them were ahead of him. He glimpsed Timett son of Timett vault free as his mount died under him in full stride, saw a Moon Brother impaled on a Karstark spear, watched Conn’s horse shatter a man’s ribs with a kick. A flight of arrows descended on them; where they came from he could not say, but they fell on Stark and Lannister alike, rattling off armor or finding flesh. Tyrion lifted his shield and hid beneath it.

That's only a small bit, there are pages of this, and Gregor Clegane is involved, so they lost an opportunity to show off their huge actor again.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Woah there little guy, don't get all ants in your pants. I was only yanking your chains. You said he doesn't get descriptive with the battles, but he does. You say with the exception of certain battles, which already contradicts to what you're trying to prove. What about the fight on the wall vs. the Wildlings hmmm? There's been 4 books, and he's been pretty descriptive with at least 3 big battles. Don't get so defensive, sheeesh.

Um he is right. The wildling battle is far from descriptive in terms of major happenings and tactical movements. There are a few scenes that have some detail but compared to "battle" scenes in other novels in the genre (WoT, Dragonbone Chair, Dragon Prince saga, Black Company) the battle's in ASOIAF are weak.

Sure many of the duels are epic contests but major battles are brushed over time and time again in this series. From what I remember the minor skirmishes have more detail than 75% of the "battles" between armies.

Uh, Tyrion did not get knocked out and miss his battle. That battle was covered in detail in the book.

Unless I'm remembering a different battle with Tyrion
he does end up getting knocked out, or at least knocked out of the fight. IIRC he gets his nose fucked up as well.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Unless I'm remembering a different battle with Tyrion
he does end up getting knocked out, or at least knocked out of the fight. IIRC he gets his nose fucked up as well.

That's the battle at kings landing
where he gets his nose chopped off

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I've hesitated to mention this because I was thinking that the TV series would cover it, but it looks like they might be skipping over it. However, it's still possible that they might be somehow saving this for ep10, so be warned, this could be an upcoming spoiler:

Ned did arrange for his daughters to get away. What screwed him on that front was Sansa's idiocy. She was pissed off that he was sending her away from Joffrey and went and told Cersei about his plan. This is an unwitting but monumental betrayal; I'm not sure if they are deleting it from the TV series to make Sansa more sympathetic of if they've just delayed the revelation a bit.

I was wondering about this myself, it's a HUGE element to skip.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
lol, this is nowhere near the same level

orders of magnitude more people have read those books than this

its cute you try and lump them together though

My point is that the novels have been out for some time before the TV/movie. I mentioned earlier about the lengths I went through to not learn about Star Wars Episode III, if you really don't want to know about this stuff then avoid the damn topic.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
If I had Jaime Lannister as a prisoner I would cut his sword hand off (like defanging a snake), carve up his face with knife cuts (destroy his beauty) and castrate him (take away his manhood).

Now, that would be the best punishment for him. Better than death because he would live life as an ugly helpless man with no balls....hahaha!

When you think about it why not just cut off the sword hand of ones enemies that are captive? I mean only for the MOST FEARED sword handlers (like Jaime lannister). What good is a snake without fangs right? A dog without teeth.

They are alive (you can still make deals and demands for their release) yet helpless to take up a sword again on the battlefield.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
If I had Jaime Lannister as a prisoner I would cut his sword hand off (like defanging a snake), carve up his face with knife cuts (destroy his beauty) and castrate him (take away his manhood).

He does loose his sword hand later on so you got close.