Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Honestly, I thought the latest ep was a step back from the last couple.

The good :awe:
Aemon + Jon, and Ned's end. Both were very well done IMO.

The ok :hmm:
Drago. It was ok, but it just didn't seem to have the same weight that the scene has in the book.

Jaime's capture. Just sort of randomly comes out of nowhere.

The "seriously guys, WTF?" :|
Shae. Yeah, she's hot. But where did the attitude come from?

Drinking game. Tyrion's story is kinda important, yeah, but why insert it here, in this way?

The [non] battle scenes. Seriously, nothing at all? And seriously, you imply that Tyrion gets knocked out and doesn't participate at all? :thumbsdown:

Has anyone heard if the last ep will rate an extended timeslot, or are they going to have to pack everything left into an hour?

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
The drinking game scene would have been worthy of replacing the battle scene if only if there were breasts.

The battle scenes were bull. It made it seem like Tyrion got trampled by his own crew, slept on the ground and was then carried off when it was over.

I guess big battle scenes have been played out since Braveheart, Gladiator, 300, etc. but not even a little action? C'mon!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
As a non-reader of the books, I can only hope that
One of the Stark clan cuts Joffrey's dick off
and that his mother
gets fed to the White Walkers from north of the wall along with her incestuous brother/lover/father of her son.

Of course, I realize none of that will probably happen...but I can always hope for some good retribution by the Stark clan.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
I remained spoiler free from Star Wars Episode III. I went to great lengths about it and avoided ALL star wars sites, changed the channel when a trailer came on, warned friends not to tell me about what they heard and everything. If I could remain completely in the dark about that movie (knowing that I am a HUGE star wars nerd), then I believe those who want to remain unaware about this series can avoid this thread.

I knew Obi-Wan threw Anakin in the lava pit like 30 years ago. What could have possibly been spoiled in Episode 3?

endervalentine

Jan 30, 2009
The battle scenes were bull. It made it seem like Tyrion got trampled by his own crew, slept on the ground and was then carried off when it was over.

I guess big battle scenes have been played out since Braveheart, Gladiator, 300, etc. but not even a little action? C'mon!

yeah, I really wanted some epic battle scene even though it's done before ... I liked the drinking game too, gave a lot of background to Tyrion which I liked but the fight that had been building up, they didn't really showed anything. Would have liked to see how
jamie got captured

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
As a non-reader of the books, I can only hope that
One of the Stark clan cuts Joffrey's dick off
and that his mother
gets fed to the White Walkers from north of the wall along with her incestuous brother/lover/father of her son.

Of course, I realize none of that will probably happen...but I can always hope for some good retribution by the Stark clan.

massive book spoilers!!! if you're reading this via email, skip this post!

Joffrey breaks off his marriage to Sansa, forces her to marry Tyrion (after having Sansa beaten for the fun of it), and is engaged to a girl from a house that the Lannisters align with (House Tyrell... family of the super fabulous Knight of Flowers, Renly's lover).

on his wedding night, he's poisoned and dies.

even before that, Tywin Lannister basically shuts Cersei down and controls everything himself. as of the last book, she was arrested for murdering a priest and is awaiting trial.

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
massive book spoilers!!! if you're reading this via email, skip this post!

Joffrey breaks off his marriage to Sansa, forces her to marry Tyrion (after having Sansa beaten for the fun of it), and is engaged to a girl from a house that the Lannisters align with (House Tyrell... family of the super fabulous Knight of Flowers, Renly's lover).

on his wedding night, he's poisoned and dies.

even before that, Tywin Lannister basically shuts Cersei down and controls everything himself. as of the last book, she was arrested for murdering a priest and is awaiting trial.

I like the old woman Tyrell, Olenna Redwyne. Also it just about kills me to not spill some of the beans in this story lol

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
yeah, I really wanted some epic battle scene even though it's done before ... I liked the drinking game too, gave a lot of background to Tyrion which I liked but the fight that had been building up, they didn't really showed anything. Would have liked to see how
jamie got captured

They talked about it a bit in the books and who he killed and such trying to get to rob but they never really did that much in the books about that battle so it kinda works here also.

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000
I wanted to see that beast with the double axes goto work on some fodder. Oh well.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
It's unfortunate that they don't have the budget to do the epic battle scenes, but I knew this sort of thing was coming. I remember they talked about the ROME series not being able to afford the money to do the battle scenes. Hopefully HBO gets better backing once they realize how popular the show is and next season will have more expensive looking battle scenes that are so vividly laid out in the books.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
It's unfortunate that they don't have the budget to do the epic battle scenes, but I knew this sort of thing was coming. I remember they talked about the ROME series not being able to afford the money to do the battle scenes. Hopefully HBO gets better backing once they realize how popular the show is and next season will have more expensive looking battle scenes that are so vividly laid out in the books.

Interestingly, the reader doesn't "see" the battle at the Whispering Woods in the book either since it is a Catelyn POV chapter, though they could have made the battle in the show occur a bit more like how it did in the book (the various sounds and shouting Catelyn hears).

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
The Jamie capture scene was told in retrospect in the book. Would have liked to have seen it in the show because it goes to Jamie's character in that he went after Robb almost blindly when he saw him on the battlefield, ignoring those around him, which is what got him captured.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

The battle scenes in the book are not all that vividly laid out. Very few are handled in detail, the rest Martin focuses on the political or strategic planning and the aftermath. There is very little description on the level of "group A charges towards position B while the cavalry reserve re-enforces the center of the defenders lines as Fred leads a counterattack against Bob on the left flank" In that regard the series is pretty true to the books. Martin is a hell of lot more interested in the WHY of battle rather than breaking things down to sword strokes and troop positioning.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Interestingly, the reader doesn't "see" the battle at the Whispering Woods in the book either since it is a Catelyn POV chapter, though they could have made the battle in the show occur a bit more like how it did in the book (the various sounds and shouting Catelyn hears).

I agree with this. It would have been easily filmed as they laid it out in the book. It literally could have been 30-60 secs more footage.

I don't want, nor need massively huge battle scenes to make a good story. In fact I feel those detract.

Though the Tyrion portion was kinda lame having him get knocked out.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
The battle scenes in the book are not all that vividly laid out. Very few are handled in detail, the rest Martin focuses on the political or strategic planning and the aftermath. There is very little description on the level of "group A charges towards position B while the cavalry reserve re-enforces the center of the defenders lines as Fred leads a counterattack against Bob on the left flank" In that regard the series is pretty true to the books. Martin is a hell of lot more interested in the WHY of battle rather than breaking things down to sword strokes and troop positioning.

When I refer to details, I am not talking about the description of the swoops and strokes of the swords, but as you said, I'm refereing to the troops movement and such. I have not read the books in a while but one of my favorite things I remember were the details of the battle, especially
the siege of king's landing
. Honestly, if they cannot show that battle in detail, it will lose a lot of the essence that makes ASOIAF what it really is.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
So, for those who hadn't read, assuming you hadn't been spoiled already, did the ending of ep9 shock you, or were you pretty much expecting it by then?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
So, for those who hadn't read, assuming you hadn't been spoiled already, did the ending of ep9 shock you, or were you pretty much expecting it by then?

Eh - yes and no. I am not suprised he
died just that he died so meekly

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't really get all the shock... I mean, it was foreshadowed in the very first episode, with the dead direwolf and cubs.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
When I refer to details, I am not talking about the description of the swoops and strokes of the swords, but as you said, I'm refereing to the troops movement and such. I have not read the books in a while but one of my favorite things I remember were the details of the battle, especially
the siege of king's landing
. Honestly, if they cannot show that battle in detail, it will lose a lot of the essence that makes ASOIAF what it really is.

That's the only battle I remember being handled in real detail in the books. The rest are just covered in a who won, who lost, who died sort of generalization. I think Martin disliked the nuts and bolts approach to writing about battles, so they're almost all covered by a point of view by a character who is involved in either the planning or the aftermath and not in the fighting itself.