Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
He was awesome. Really added to my enjoyment of the books. Alas, they went with a new narrator in book 3 and he was awful.

Looks like the same guy did 1 - 3 but the new one came on book 4. If I make it that far I might actually have to read the book.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Damn you HBO, George should be solely focused on finishing the books (but I'll still start paying for your channel in order to see this).

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I wonder why? I think the age of the characters adds a visceral element to the series, to see so many of the characters go through so much at such a tender age, and watch them grow as a result of these experiences really makes them who they are. I can't see Robb being say 18 from the beginning, it would really mess up a lot of the story, same for Arya and Bran.

It's also much more realistic to medieval europe, which is what most fantasy books copy from. Girls were married off as soon as they were at the age they started menstruating. They were baby factories with no rights.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Not sure if I like how the wall looks like.

Wasn't it more described as a wall out of ice?

That looks more like a wall out of snow really.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Not sure if I like how the wall looks like.

Wasn't it more described as a wall out of ice?

That looks more like a wall out of snow really.

Are you expecting stacked translucent ice cubes? It is also often described as weeping. You'd think the water would refreeze and they don't exactly have a window washer crew out there straightening it all out.

EDIT: I kind of like the "iceberg" look for the wall.
http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/landscape/iceberg/iceberg_1.jpg

Last edited:

Patterner

Dec 20, 2010
Are you expecting stacked translucent ice cubes? It is also often described as weeping. You'd think the water would refreeze and they don't exactly have a window washer crew out there straightening it all out.

That looks pretty much how I pictured the wall.

When they were climbing up it, the described it that way, and there were whole sections that fell off, crushing some of the king beyond the walls men. Over time, that would lead to a glacier like appearance.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

Usually it's described as a deep blue like ice usually is, not a giant wall made out of snow like it shows there and when they talk about it melting at times a snow wall like they have shown there wouldn't show it off as well as talked about in the books.

Plus when the wall is melting and refreezes it maintains that ice appearance and not that of a snow wall.

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
Looks like the same guy did 1 - 3 but the new one came on book 4. If I make it that far I might actually have to read the book.

You're right! John Lee started in book 4 and if I hadn't already listened to Roy Detriece(sp) he may have been ok but he was so different with his voices for the characters it was very off putting.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
You're right! John Lee started in book 4 and if I hadn't already listened to Roy Detriece(sp) he may have been ok but he was so different with his voices for the characters it was very off putting.

Roy Dotrice is amazing. He makes the audiobook better than actually reading which is rare. He really makes the characters. So many great voices -- Tyrion, Littlefinger, even the female characters. The Varys voice cracks me up.

Nov 7, 2000
i may wait till the season is over, subscribe to HBO for a couple weeks and plow through them on-demand. i just dont know if i can handle the waiting week-to-week...

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
This is a weird promotion, but if you are in NYC they will be giving away FREE "Westeros food" in the Union Square area this evening. First come, first served. Watch Game of Thrones twitter for details. I guess they will be doing this several more times; some locations will also be in LA.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
It should be glorious indeed, I have faith HBO will do it right.

It will be odd hearing how they pronounce the names as opposed to how I said them in my head while reading the books.

Late reply, but I found this pronunciation guide for the series. It looks like I was doing pretty well on my own, though I always pronounced Catelyn as KATE-lin, not CAT-lin, and I ended Cersei's name with a long I sound instead of "see". I was rather surprised that I got House Targaryen right.

Also, as long as I'm dumping info, here's a bigass PDF map of Westeros (the world).

EDIT: And here's a video with some of the author's pronunciations.

Last edited: