Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 96 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Faceless man is awesome, i'd love to see ayria move into that world more.

The Jon Snow thing was pretty obvious to me, but my GF was wondering what was up...sacrificed himself so the wildings would accept him, keep him alive. In the previous ep to the finale, he siad something to Jon, telling him that you need to follow along with what I am about to do.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
So you find it difficult to comprehend why you think others do not comprehend?

Lemme spell it out for you. The two are related. Therefore, people want to talk about BOTH.

So long as people "play fair" it is really no biggie. You keep spoilers shut, allude to things that may be coming, it is all part and parcel. It may even get a few people to READ the books AS WELL AS WATCH THE SERIES.

Win-win.

The other item is how close they have been able to keep the two together. Unlike The Walking Dead, which seems to be "walking" in a completely different direction at times.

Lastly, if people did not talk about both, this thread would not be so visited. It would not be on the first page of "Off Topic" almost every day, and many people would lose interest. So even if a few keep whining that people are talking about books, so long as the bookies do not ruin anything, I think it adds a bit to both.

And I am not the only one, obviously.

bravo-bravo.gif

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I learned early on in the books that you should not get attached too much to any character.

Hell, I still miss Ned!

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Only nerds read books! Nerds and educated folk. Unless it's a Bible.

Anyway, Dinklage is the man. The way Tyrion and the Eunuch are looking at each other I'm betting they're going to have a super sexy time in the next season. Amirite book nerds?

clapping.gif

I think I may be the only one who gets pelov's humor.

Rock on man. I got your back.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Faceless man is awesome, i'd love to see ayria move into that world more.

All the Braavosi are great. First Syrio Forel in the first book/series, then Jaqen H'ghar in the second.

Arya's future in the books:

Arya moves MUCH deeper into that world, but not until A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons. So that's a long way off in the TV world, unless they change the timing it won't start happening until season 5 of the series.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
All the Braavosi are great. First Syrio Forel in the first book/series, then Jaqen H'ghar in the second.

Arya's future in the books:

Arya moves MUCH deeper into that world, but not until A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons. So that's a long way off in the TV world, unless they change the timing it won't start happening until season 5 of the series.

I find it interesting
that you think Syrio and Jaqen are two different people. What better position to infiltrate and assassinate someone Royal and important then being one of the household staff (dance instructor) of the Hand of the King.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I find it interesting
that you think Syrio and Jaqen are two different people. What better position to infiltrate and assassinate someone Royal and important then being one of the household staff (dance instructor) of the Hand of the King.

I think Syrio is dead. While the books never come right out and say it Ser Merwyn and some guards go to capture Arya. Syrio disarms one guard and engages the others while Arya escapes. As Ser Merwyn survives it's reasonable to assume that Syrio didn't. Besides, in the books Syrio was the first Sword of Braavos, a swordfighter who worked in that capacity for the SeaLord. From what little we know about the Faceless Men and the Braavosi assassins I don't think someone would be both First Sword and a Faceless Man. There's also the issue of Jaqen traveling with Arya as a prisoner and not revealing himself until it was nearly too late. If he was Syrio he might have tipped her off sooner. It's possible that maybe even GRRM doesn't know if Syrio is alive or dead, the fact that he was not outright killed or shown to escape is conspicuous. Maybe Martin decided to keep that line open in case he wants to do something with it later on. The whole Faceless Men thing is very deus ex machina, it allows Martin to make anyone and everyone someone else if need be. Hell, maybe Jaqen killed Syrio and was merely impersonating him to get closer to the Starks.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I find it interesting

But Jaqen's mission wasn't in Kingslanding. Jaqen mission is at The Citadel. Syrio agreed to go back to Winterfell which is the opposite direction that Jaqen needed to go.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
But Jaqen's mission wasn't in Kingslanding. Jaqen mission is at The Citadel. Syrio agreed to go back to Winterfell which is the opposite direction that Jaqen needed to go.
So do you think he was caught on the way to the Citadel, and ended up in the wagon heading to the wall?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
So do you think he was caught on the way to the Citadel, and ended up in the wagon heading to the wall?

I have no idea how Jaqen ended up in the kingslanding dungeon. Maybe he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time; it could happen to anyone. Maybe he took the wrong face.

Just because we don't know why he was in the dungeon, doesn't mean he's Syrio.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

In one of the interviews I've read or watched George R.R. Martin mentions that while he has the main plot points figured out. There are details that aren't fleshed out in advance when they don't necessarily change major plot points drastically.

It's possible that George R.R. Martin doesn't know yet (or hasn't decided yet) whether or not Jaqen is Syrio

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I have no idea how Jaqen ended up in the kingslanding dungeon. Maybe he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time; it could happen to anyone. Maybe he took the wrong face.

My interest is not whether he is Syrio or not, but just the basic question of did he get caught intentionally? IN other words, how good is he? Virtually unstopable, and in the wagon on purpose? Good, as we see with Arya's 3 deaths, but still catchable because he is in the wagon? Of course, taking the black and escaping from the wall is a very legitimate escape plan IMHO.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Snip [/spoiler]
If there is one thing I learned about GRRM,
no one is dead until their death is described in detail by first person account. Oh and even then they aren't necessarily dead unless Thoros of Myr is no where in the area.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
My interest is not whether he is Syrio or not, but just the basic question of did he get caught intentionally? IN other words, how good is he? Virtually unstopable, and in the wagon on purpose? Good, as we see with Arya's 3 deaths, but still catchable because he is in the wagon? Of course, taking the black and escaping from the wall is a very legitimate escape plan IMHO.

Faceless men do whatever they need to answer the will of their god They are masters of infiltrating to get the job done. It could easily be conjecture, but in my wild theories Syrio is one sent to make someone's death look like an accident. There were plenty of people in Kings Landing that would be wanted dead by someone. Now the question is did he get his murder in or was it done for him (Robert?) or was it foiled when all shit broke loose at the Keep? Or maybe his target left kings landing march off to war? What a better way to follow inconspicuously to the war in the North than being marched to Wall.
Personally, I think he was sent after Tywin since Harenhall was an obvious stop on the way to the wall.

And for those that don't want to know about later in the series
Someone who eerily matches his new face magically and mysteriously shows up again.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
The only plausible reason I can see Syrio being Faceless is if he was sent because they already knew the value of Arya and wanted to push her in the right way.

Unfortunately, there is not much to back that up.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

I don't imagine he got caught intentionally. Going all the way to the wall is a very long trip. While escaping from the wall isn't particularly hard, it's still in the middle of nowhere, and means another long trip back.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I don't imagine he got caught intentionally. Going all the way to the wall is a very long trip. While escaping from the wall isn't particularly hard, it's still in the middle of nowhere, and means another long trip back.

for a man of his skills, how hard would it be to escape from a wagon cage?