Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 95 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
"I haven't read the books, but anyone that didn't understand the Halfhand/Snow fight should probably stick to watching less cerebral shows like Glee."

No matter the topic, no matter the forum, guy comes off as a major asshole

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Oh, and Tyrion loses his nose in the books, or a good portion thereof. I knew this would not be the case in the series simply because it is too expensive and gruesome a make-up trick that really does not matter (Tyrion is supposed to be not only a dwarf, but a butt-ugly phreak. What's-his-face just ain't freaky enough.)

Who cares what happened in the books? What is the point of this post?

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Who cares what happened in the books? What is the point of this post?

Because as interesting as his character is onscreen, and although Dinklage is doing a great job, Tyrion's freakishness is such a major, consistent plot point, that events that have and will happen lose their impact because he's too pretty on TV.

On TV, he's a midget with a scar. In the books, he's a total freakshow. Things like Shea staying with him and his ascendancy to power and relative success at it (prior to his downfall) are all the more compelling. There's a reason why he had to pay his two best friends (a whore and a sell sword).

It's also impacting the magnitude of his relationship with his siblings and his dad (on TV). (another minor beef, the Lannisters are getting less and less blonde every episode). His brother and sister are the Golden Children of a wealthy house, shining examples of Lannister pride and perfection (nevermind their faults or that cersei is getting up there in age/losing her looks), and they hate him all the more because he is so revolting to look upon, a sign of their weakness/flaws (whereas many will say that his siblings are equally revolting/flawed on the inside).

I love the job Dinklage is doing, but he is just way too pretty to be Tyrion.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
she's the one that taught Dany sex.

in the books she died on the way to Quarth.
and Dany's other handmaiden is still alive as of the latest book. (in the tv show she was killed when they took the dragons.)

They completely left the lesbian scene out of the show. Disappointing, and now both handmaidens are dead.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
The assassin Jaqen H'ghar is probably one of the most interesting, remarkably powerful characters in the series. So how did he ever get trapped in a wooden cage with two nitwits in the first place?
I believe that faceless men get themselves into situations such as that to further their plans to get targets. Also it is a hell of an alibi.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Because as interesting as his character is onscreen, and although Dinklage is doing a great job, Tyrion's freakishness is such a major, consistent plot point, that events that have and will happen lose their impact because he's too pretty on TV.

On TV, he's a midget with a scar. In the books, he's a total freakshow. Things like Shea staying with him and his ascendancy to power and relative success at it (prior to his downfall) are all the more compelling. There's a reason why he had to pay his two best friends (a whore and a sell sword).

It's also impacting the magnitude of his relationship with his siblings and his dad (on TV). (another minor beef, the Lannisters are getting less and less blonde every episode). His brother and sister are the Golden Children of a wealthy house, shining examples of Lannister pride and perfection (nevermind their faults or that cersei is getting up there in age/losing her looks), and they hate him all the more because he is so revolting to look upon, a sign of their weakness/flaws (whereas many will say that his siblings are equally revolting/flawed on the inside).

They only barely do a good job of pointing out how much his father and especially his sister fucking hate him. His brother is touch and go at best.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
1st 15-20 min was cringe worthy, last 20 minutes was epic, goddammit now another year of waiting

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
i loved how the first thing tyrion saw when he woke up was a grinning pycelle

'what is dead may never die! aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!'
<thunk>

lol

it was nice to see drogo again

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
kinda letdown by the ease the warlock died.

i guess his illusions didnt fool the dragons and they knew which one was the real him to strike at?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
What gave Doxos(black dude) power(like the other powerful guys ran spice trades etc)?

Dunno if the answers are obvious but I'm kinda confused on the whole Qarth deal.

Doxos was a con man that conned his way into the circle of the 13.

think of Sawyer in Lost.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
kinda letdown by the ease the warlock died.

i guess his illusions didnt fool the dragons and they knew which one was the real him to strike at?

I can't speak to the show but in the books the Warlocks were a dieing rotting society getting quickly pushed to the fringes. In the book (but not past the 2nd where we are now),
after following the instructions to always take the first door on the right (or left, I forget) and seeing tons of foreshadowing visions about shit that is definitely coming together in the books most of which is not good, she encounters the withering warlock council(?). A bunch of dusty crumbling barely alive bodies linked by blue shit to a dieing crusty heart. They try to suck Dany's life away and she is saved at the seeming last second by Drogon who FUCKS SHIT UP. Ends up destroying the whole hovel. And she escapes.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I haven't read the books, but anyone that didn't understand the Halfhand/Snow fight should probably stick to watching less cerebral shows like Glee.

Seriously, do you watch a lot of Glee?

I mean, you sure mention it an awful lot.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

The point is, this thread is about the TV show. Not the books. I find it difficult to understand why people can't comprehend this difference.

pelov

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2011
TV will rot your brain, books are better.

Only nerds read books! Nerds and educated folk. Unless it's a Bible.

Anyway, Dinklage is the man. The way Tyrion and the Eunuch are looking at each other I'm betting they're going to have a super sexy time in the next season. Amirite book nerds?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
i loved how the first thing tyrion saw when he woke up was a grinning pycelle

'what is dead may never die! aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!'
<thunk>

lol

it was nice to see drogo again

"I will kill the man who wakes me." Loved Drogo in the books too. It was just nice to have one unambiguous character. What you see is what you get.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
The point is, this thread is about the TV show. Not the books. I find it difficult to understand why people can't comprehend this difference.

So you find it difficult to comprehend why you think others do not comprehend?

Lemme spell it out for you. The two are related. Therefore, people want to talk about BOTH.

So long as people "play fair" it is really no biggie. You keep spoilers shut, allude to things that may be coming, it is all part and parcel. It may even get a few people to READ the books AS WELL AS WATCH THE SERIES.

Win-win.

The other item is how close they have been able to keep the two together. Unlike The Walking Dead, which seems to be "walking" in a completely different direction at times.

Lastly, if people did not talk about both, this thread would not be so visited. It would not be on the first page of "Off Topic" almost every day, and many people would lose interest. So even if a few keep whining that people are talking about books, so long as the bookies do not ruin anything, I think it adds a bit to both.

And I am not the only one, obviously.