Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 513 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I'm disappointed with Sansa's development. She seems like she's hardly improved at all since the first season. She had ONE episode of serious development when she realized what little finger wanted and dressed the part. But other than that I feel like her development has been a small shred compared to many of the other characters in the show. Seven years later surviving the game solely on her wits I think she should be one notch below little finger at this point. Instead you see her doing stupid shit like last season where her attempts at speech craft failed so completely at persuading people to the Starks' side before the battle of the bastards that even Jon Snow had to roll his eyes. JON! The one who knows nothing!

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I'm disappointed with Sansa's development. She seems like she's hardly improved at all since the first season. She had ONE episode of serious development when she realized what little finger wanted and dressed the part. But other than that I feel like her development has been a small shred compared to many of the other characters in the show. Seven years later surviving the game solely on her wits I think she should be one notch below little finger at this point. Instead you see her doing stupid shit like last season where her attempts at speech craft failed so completely at persuading people to the Starks' side before the battle of the bastards that even Jon Snow had to roll his eyes. JON! The one who knows nothing!
Well this isn't some multiplayer RPG, characters are going to develop at differing levels (and some not at all). I personally find Sansa very boring, she's more beginning and middle plot material, but now nearing the end of the show, screen time is better spent elsewhere IMHO.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
well, there is that theory about arya and the waif. some redditors seem convinced. won't post as not sure on rules about theories

That theory is idiocy.

Hopefully, Arya and Sansa are gaming this to discredit Baelish and get rid of him without losing the Knights of the Vale. That's the only thing that makes the least bit of sense, it's hard to believe they're both acting this way or that Arya's super-human face reading skill doesn't allow her to see through Littlefinger's schtick. Of course a lot of this shit doesn't make any sense now, so who knows? With the time travel and the idiotic characters doing ridiculous things for inane reasons it's hard to tell what might be somebody playing a long con and what might just be awful writing. While I appreciate the quicker pace of the current season man are they doing some stupid shit. Freaking BenJen, in the nick of time, out of nowhere, AGAIN?!?!?!? Fuck, even Dany's magical travel speed made more sense than having him show up like that.

At least they nerfed the dragons. Now they just have to give Cersei one.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I think Benjen's Deus Ex act was a way for the writers to be done with the character, otherwise you'd have people wondering where the hell he went next season. Doesn't make it any better though.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I think Benjen's Deus Ex act was a way for the writers to be done with the character, otherwise you'd have people wondering where the hell he went next season. Doesn't make it any better though.

If the writers wanted to be done with the character there was no reason to bring him back in the first place. Having Benjen show up the first time was even worse than this time. He had been missing and forgotten for 5 seasons and then they bring him back out of nowhere? Why? If you want to use the character, leave little clues along the way so his return isn't 100% deus ex machina. And if you don't want to use the character, leave him missing. There's no point in bringing him back in the most stupid way imaginable only to kill him off in the most stupid way imaginable.

Reactions: Sonikku

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That theory is idiocy.

Hopefully, Arya and Sansa are gaming this to discredit Baelish and get rid of him without losing the Knights of the Vale. That's the only thing that makes the least bit of sense, it's hard to believe they're both acting this way or that Arya's super-human face reading skill doesn't allow her to see through Littlefinger's schtick. Of course a lot of this shit doesn't make any sense now, so who knows? With the time travel and the idiotic characters doing ridiculous things for inane reasons it's hard to tell what might be somebody playing a long con and what might just be awful writing. While I appreciate the quicker pace of the current season man are they doing some stupid shit. Freaking BenJen, in the nick of time, out of nowhere, AGAIN?!?!?!? Fuck, even Dany's magical travel speed made more sense than having him show up like that.

I thought Arya's conversation with Sansa in the bedroom was basically her telling the audience that she knows Little Finger is full of shit.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Nobody is going to comment on all the Red Shirts dying?
And didn't we watch like 4 episodes of them obtaining Dragonglass? And then they get it and go north of the wall to track and capture the very enemies they wanted the dragonglass for, but choose not to use it?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I thought Arya's conversation with Sansa in the bedroom was basically her telling the audience that she knows Little Finger is full of shit.

But Sansa has already expressed this in every episode this season, but this time she seemingly buys what he's selling entirely? It was a complete departure from the character they have built up.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
And didn't we watch like 4 episodes of them obtaining Dragonglass? And then they get it and go north of the wall to track and capture the very enemies they wanted the dragonglass for, but choose not to use it?
Do the fire swords work as well against the undead as the dragonglass stuff does? It seems like this lord of light opposed the lich king on some level.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Wasn't the weapons jorah was using them as they looked different?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I thought they were, that's what all those daggers were right? That's why the hound got all pissy about the hammer not working and broke out the pigsticker, same for the bear-killing blow (dagger). Presumably it's easy to make a little pokey stick, harder for a large sword.

Do the fire swords work as well against the undead as the dragonglass stuff does? It seems like this lord of light opposed the lich king on some level.
I figured those were either Valerian steel, or maybe just 'fire works'. Benjen's holy water sprinkler probably wasn't Valerian, but could have also been I guess.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I thought they were, that's what all those daggers were right? That's why the hound got all pissy about the hammer not working and broke out the pigsticker, same for the bear-killing blow (dagger). Presumably it's easy to make a little pokey stick, harder for a large sword.

I figured those were either Valerian steel, or maybe just 'fire works'. Benjen's holy water sprinkler probably wasn't Valerian, but could have also been I guess.

There's no evidence that dragonglass or Valyrian steel kill wights. They work against the white walkers, they're not any more effective than ordinary weapons against the underlings. I guess a flaming Valyrian sword could be a pretty effective weapon.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
There's no evidence that dragonglass or Valyrian steel kill wights. They work against the white walkers.
Wait... Did Sam kill a White Walker with that dragon glass weapon or just a wight, in S4 or whatever? I thought that was just a wight, and I thought that was the big 'reveal' wrt the dragon glass.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Wait... Did Sam kill a White Walker with that dragon glass weapon or just a wight, in S4 or whatever? I thought that was just a wight, and I thought that was the big 'reveal' wrt the dragon glass.

Real White Walker. Sam used a regular sword first, the white walker grabbed it and it shattered. Then Sam was forced to use the dragonglass and won.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Real White Walker. Sam used a regular sword first, the white walker grabbed it and it shattered. Then Sam was forced to use the dragonglass and won.
Ah right right. I feel like the DG should work more effectively against them though regardless, since this is kind of a 'despelling magic' thing, all of it being based around the NK. I feel it was very poignant that the bear dropped in one stab from that, while ignoring fire and axes.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Ah right right. I feel like the DG should work more effectively against them though regardless, since this is kind of a 'despelling magic' thing, all of it being based around the NK. I feel it was very poignant that the bear dropped in one stab from that, while ignoring fire and axes.

Yeah, the show is not very consistent with the effects of magic or how its dispelled. It's like they're just using whatever the situation requires, kind of how the characters behave.

The bear was a harbinger, like, if you think a real bear is a bitch see what an undead bear can do. And now we have an undead dragon, bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well this isn't some multiplayer RPG, characters are going to develop at differing levels (and some not at all). I personally find Sansa very boring, she's more beginning and middle plot material, but now nearing the end of the show, screen time is better spent elsewhere IMHO.

Sansa made the mistake early on in development (season 2) of using her level 5 attribute to give +1 to Luck (sure it kept her alive), when she should have used it for +1 to Charisma. She missed out on 5 entire levels of conversation opportunities, and even though she added another +2 to her total by level 15 (current season 7), she is just too far behind the people in her circle. She didn't understand her class from the beginning. Thought she'd be a "jack of all trades" and wasted away those early levels training useless dagger skills just to level up on dungeon rats, but it was all wasted when late game came around.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That theory is idiocy.

You're right. I was already forgiving the time-travel involved in the dragon vs walker fight (because if nothing else, it was fucking sweet), and then goddamn Benjen shows up yet again, for some reason, to save a should-have-been-dead, again, Jon Snow. ....there were issues with how this episode ended. I'm wondering if the new Ice Dragon will be wargable by Bran? That was a popular idea for some time that I thought somewhat stupid, and especially recently, but now it seems like he might need to do something, and he might be the only one, to stop this thing when it approaches the wall. ...oh wait, I forgot he's in Winterfell again. ...oh fuck that who cares. It probably takes a cripple an excruciatingly long 5 travel minutes to get to the Wall from Winterfell this season.

somehow, someway, I still think the Danny/Jon/Tyrion trio is quite important, and especially with the dragons.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If the writers wanted to be done with the character there was no reason to bring him back in the first place. Having Benjen show up the first time was even worse than this time. He had been missing and forgotten for 5 seasons and then they bring him back out of nowhere? Why? If you want to use the character, leave little clues along the way so his return isn't 100% deus ex machina. And if you don't want to use the character, leave him missing. There's no point in bringing him back in the most stupid way imaginable only to kill him off in the most stupid way imaginable.

...kinda like Gendry. (granted, Gendry has some real purpose) Well, I'm still waiting for Syrio. ...almost wish that was Syrio rushing through the wight army to save Jon. Would have been balsy.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
For Arya/Sansa/Brienne:

Littlefinger says that if anything got between Arya and Sansa she would break it up. Sansa hears that and very intentionally sends Brienne away for a bullshit reason. The insinuation is that Sansa plans to take out Arya and doesn't want Brienne to interfere. Of course, it could certainly wind up being Arya/Sansa setting up Littlefinger somehow.

Another possibility is that Arya has already killed Sansa, took on her identity, and wanted Brienne away for some reason. Possibly to deal with Littlefinger or worried that Brienne would know that she wasn't really Sansa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. Zaus

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

When that scene first opened, and you see the rando dude out front, I loudly claimed to the other dude in the room: "Oh look, a red shirt!" Had to explain it (And that guy is an actual Star Trek fan, ffs....)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Dragonglass = obsidian, so yeah: making a sword is very very difficult if not impossible, because it's so brittle. I think in RL human history, Obsidian has only been used to make spear and arrow heads, and daggers (or maybe more like utility knives) in some cases. Real ones, anyway, that are intended for actual use.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
For Arya/Sansa/Brienne:

Littlefinger says that if anything got between Arya and Sansa she would break it up. Sansa hears that and very intentionally sends Brienne away for a bullshit reason. The insinuation is that Sansa plans to take out Arya and doesn't want Brienne to interfere. Of course, it could certainly wind up being Arya/Sansa setting up Littlefinger somehow.

Another possibility is that Arya has already killed Sansa, took on her identity, and wanted Brienne away for some reason. Possibly to deal with Littlefinger or worried that Brienne would know that she wasn't really Sansa.

This. They are playing a game on Littlefinger and they need it to be as real as possible. If they let Brienne in on it, Littlefinger would be tipped off if Brienne doesn't intervene. There simply is no way that Arya is this fricking stupid. She trained for what...a year to stalk and observe, silently? We know she's been watching Littlefinger without his knowledge, and I'm certain that she went into his room, knowing that he was watching, making sure that he doesn't know that she knows. Sansa probably isn't involved...yet, but I think Arya letting Sansa find the faces, explaining the faces, then letting her have the dagger was just to let Sansa know that Arya is on top of this shit.

Either Arya or Sansa/Arya are actively playing Littlefinger, or this is the worst goddamn writing this show has yet seen....and we already endured the Sand Snakes.