Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 224 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I thought it was Ned that stopped the Greyjoy rebellion, and it was his death (and the fact that everyone was so busy fighting among themselves) that caused them to start back up

King Robert called banners and House Winterfell was one of the Houses that fought at King Robert's side. Seeing as how Ned Stark was one of Robert's most trusted friends and battle planners it could be said they both stopped the rebellion. But it was King Robert who lead the effort to stop the rebellion, hope that clears it up a bit.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I'm going with Tywin and Lady Oleanna as the murderers. Tywin knew Joffrey was nuts and worried he couldn't control him and Oleanna also didn't want Margary married to madman who might lose the throne and kill Margary.

Now Margary can wait for the next Lannister in line and marry him when he comes of age.

Yea, the more that I think about it, the more sense it makes that Tywin was responsible.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Not to mention her dragons are growing.

More importantly, Danny is growing. She's not just raising an army and nurturing her dragons, she's learning how to be a queen. That's the part that everyone keeps missing in her storyline. She's making hard decisions and is trying to do what it necessary to help her cause while simultaneously trying to do what it right for her people. While all the people in Westeros are trying to win the throne Daenerys is the only one preparing to rule.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
you saw the 'Inside the episode' after S4E1, didn't you? The producers pointed out the same exact thing, almost verbatim

Nope I watched the episode and then a youtube "What the flick?" channel recap and review of the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJzt9eB7-M

IMO, this channel does good reviews from fans who have and have not read the books and I like the enthusiasm from the guy on the left.

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
I thought it was Ned that stopped the Greyjoy rebellion, and it was his death (and the fact that everyone was so busy fighting among themselves) that caused them to start back up
I would agree. They harbored a lot of resentment for the Starks keeping Theon and making him soft.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
More importantly, Danny is growing. She's not just raising an army and nurturing her dragons, she's learning how to be a queen. That's the part that everyone keeps missing in her storyline. She's making hard decisions and is trying to do what it necessary to help her cause while simultaneously trying to do what it right for her people. While all the people in Westeros are trying to win the throne Daenerys is the only one preparing to rule.

I wouldn't say that is entirely true. I think Margary was one of the few people that understood you can't rule for very long if the people hate you. And it shows just how incredibly stupid Cersei was trying to undermine Margary's attempts to not starve the people of Kings Landing.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I wouldn't say that is entirely true. I think Margary was one of the few people that understood you can't rule for very long if the people hate you. And it shows just how incredibly stupid Cersei was trying to undermine Margary's attempts to not starve the people of Kings Landing.

Good catch with the Queen's statement at the wedding then Cersei telling Maester Pycelle to feed the leftovers to the dogs instead of giving them to the poor as Queen Margaery wanted.

Dany isn't the only one who is growing but she does have the dragons which are important because we know from the dragon skull we see in season one that they can grow to be very very huge.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Good catch with the Queen's statement at the wedding then Cersei telling Maester Pycelle to feed the leftovers to the dogs instead of giving them to the poor as Queen Margaery wanted.

Dany isn't the only one who is growing but she does have the dragons which are important because we know from the dragon skull we see in season one that they can grow to be very very huge.

Except will she be able to control those dragons once they grow up?

She may be impervious to fire, but she can still be eaten...

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Except will she be able to control those dragons once they grow up?

She may be impervious to fire, but she can still be eaten...

She will presumably have Dragon Riders to ride them into battle. I would imagine those might be wargs, but I'd imagine controlling a hawk is a lot easier than controlling a dragon.

Epsidoe 4e01 already showed she was having a bit of difficulty with her dragons. Although, if they are anything like puppies, she should be nipping that food aggression in the bud!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
if it has aired on tv (EST), then it is not a spoiler. if it has not aired on tv (EST), then it is a spoiler.

it really cannot get any simpler than that.

personally, I think it's at least nice to put important stuff behind spoiler tags for the first 24 hours or so after the first airing... after that, go nuts.

and book spoilers should obviously be identified clearly as such before the spoiler tag.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

We'd be able to pick up on it if the show would ever air her storyline!

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

1) Sure, Margaery has some political savvy, especially compared to Joffrey. But offering leftovers from a 77 course feast to starving people is hardly a difficult decision to make. It's silly to try to equate that with Danny amassing an army through guile and convincing people to follow her through sheer force of will.

2) Why was Cersei stupid? She was getting smacked around in her verbal jousting about her former power and what a meaningless little nobody she would be as an ex-queen. So she got angry, exercised some of her power over a person she could still control and took a bite out of Margaery too. When the food disappears Margaery will be blamed for not keeping her word.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I think there's only been one episode per season that doesn't tell her story--maybe not in season 1, though? John Snow was also skipped this last episode. Ditto Arya and Hound. No Little Finger yet this season (though I wouldn't say he is a principle character)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
1) Sure, Margaery has some political savvy, especially compared to Joffrey. But offering leftovers from a 77 course feast to starving people is hardly a difficult decision to make. It's silly to try to equate that with Danny amassing an army through guile and convincing people to follow her through sheer force of will.

2) Why was Cersei stupid? She was getting smacked around in her verbal jousting about her former power and what a meaningless little nobody she would be as an ex-queen. So she got angry, exercised some of her power over a person she could still control and took a bite out of Margaery too. When the food disappears Margaery will be blamed for not keeping her word.

Margaery has already shown that she understands how to rule far better than any king that has been in this book. The highborn rulers care very little for their subjects.

And Cersei is stupid, because she is picking her battles incredibly foolishly. Sure, Margaery might have looked "bad" for feeding the scraps to the dogs, but do you think she wouldn't take that as an opportunity to simply give food to the poor to make amends? And, let's look at the bigger picture: even if they directly blame Margaery for them starving, would a mob of starving poor not also kill Cersei? She is doing nothing than furthering her own demise for her foolish pride.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

GRRM should have followed suit in the books :\

my eyes utterly glaze over when the Danny POV chapters come up. it's just too separated from everything else that's going on in the storyline... imho, he should have kept her out and perhaps just done a complete novel dedicated solely to her (
released prior to whichever GOT book will inevitably connect her with the rest of the story
)

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

True enough but Cersei is royalty too and that instance of Margaery "failing to keep her word" can easily morph in the poorer citizens minds' into "Royals never keep their word, so what good are they?"

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I think there's only been one episode per season that doesn't tell her story--maybe not in season 1, though? John Snow was also skipped this last episode. Ditto Arya and Hound. No Little Finger yet this season (though I wouldn't say he is a principle character)

I actually prefer the format of telling the story of a few and leaving out some rather than cramming everything in 6+ 10 minute blurbs.

I am really looking forward to this season. This was easily my favorite of the books, as it made me go back and reread previous sections to look for certain things I might have missed.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
GRRM should have followed suit in the books :\

my eyes utterly glaze over when the Danny POV chapters come up. it's just too separated from everything else that's going on in the storyline... imho, he should have kept her out and perhaps just done a complete novel dedicated solely to her
(released prior to whichever GOT book will inevitably connect her with the rest of the story)

question: how is that bit not a spoiler?

it essentially tells me that
the next ~3 seasons will have her still not making it to Westeros and doing stuff. honestly, I'd rather not know that she is going to be uninvolved in Westeros shenanigans for that many more episodes

well, I hope the show writers do it better and just trash most of the recent books, in order to get things going.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I actually prefer the format of telling the story of a few and leaving out some rather than cramming everything in 6+ 10 minute blurbs.

I am really looking forward to this season. This was easily my favorite of the books, as it made me go back and reread previous sections to look for certain things I might have missed.

yeah, I prefer each episode being dedicated to ~3 plot lines at a time. jumping around too much is annoying. See: early cuts of Godfather 2 and test audience reactions.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

In the 1st season when she was in nude sex scenes with the Khal, she got like 15 to 20 minutes every episode.

Now that she has dragons but no sex scenes she's given far less screen-time. I keep wanting to see scenes of the dragons growing up, Daenerys training them, etc., but instead it's filled with Stanos, with Theon, the drawn out scene in Littlefinger's brothel to just say that prince is bisexual, or more and more how Tyrion is juggling the two women.

Just my meaningless rant with the show :)

Can't wait to see where they take the story with Joffrey dead, who's going to be the new evil on the throne for good guys to fight against?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
yeah, I prefer each episode being dedicated to ~3 plot lines at a time. jumping around too much is annoying. See: early cuts of Godfather 2 and test audience reactions.

The problem, IMO, is that a lot of this stuff is supposed to be happening concurrently. And, in the book, it is not that bad to kind of jump around, as the chapters are set up from a particular POV. The show, however, can't really do this. It takes too long (in air time) to really flesh out what is going on to fit it all in an hour episode. It is also incredibly hard (without a narrator or some other clever device) to give the reader knowledge the characters don't have, especially in interactions where one knows something the others don't.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Tyrion for king!

He doesn't have a claim, his dad hates him and he's been accused of murder but WHO CARES

Tyrion for king!