Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 222 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
No, I've never read any of the books and probably never will read any of them. (unless I stumble onto the full set at a yard sale/thrift store for a couple of $$.)

Well I hope you find that set. I understand the frugality hardbound copies of newly released books are relatively pricey and reading on a screen just isn't the same. I read the most recent book by checking it out from the library and actually bought the copies I do own from a used bookstore on a recommendation.

It's cool seeing how the show differs from the source material because some of those changes are very cool improvements that just can't relayed to a reader using the PoV per chapter format.

Jeez, I want to participate in the thread but the book people make me scared.

we're mostly harmless :p

Last edited:

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
To be honest, I'm amazed this thread wasn't locked instead of the one posted a day or two ago when this whole spoiler thing started...the last 15-20 pages of this thread have been basically nothing but spoilers and reactions to spoilers.

On the plus side, today I learned how to use the ignore list :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
NFSW do not click unless you are over 21. It's a spoiler don't click.
Are you sure you want to click?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30489331@N02/13873824963/ really really sure?
It's not about the books though.

GOddamnit! Is that really a spoiler or is it just NSFW? like, boobs and stuff? I want to click so bad, but am confused by the unrelated meanings of NSFW and spoiler combined into one description! I HATE THIS THREAD!!

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I, for one,
was damned glad to see Joffrey die a painful death. YAY!

I suspect it doesn't bode well for the midget though. His bitch sister will make him pay. Now...since queens only rule if they're married to a king...who will become the new king? Will that fall to the bastard son of Rob Baratheon? (or was he one of the ones already killed. (can't keep track of all the various people in the story.)

In answer to your question and this is information you can glean from even season one episodes
Cercei has had more than one male child

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
GOddamnit! Is that really a spoiler or is it just NSFW? like, boobs and stuff? I want to click so bad, but am confused by the unrelated meanings of NSFW and spoiler combined into one description! I HATE THIS THREAD!!

It's not related to the books (and contains no future GoT spoilers, but does have a poster to poster spoiler), is not a booby or naughty bits or gross picture, but contains adult (NSFW) language directed at yours truly after being "ignored" by the sender.

It gave me a good chuckle. :sneaky:

Last edited:

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
MongGrel said:
I read the books everyone. Everyone, I read the books.

2143ee0881842c7c9755e5e66defb35c.jpg

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I, for one,
was damned glad to see Joffrey die a painful death. YAY! I suspect it doesn't bode well for the midget though. His bitch sister will make him pay.

Now...since queens only rule if they're married to a king...who will become the new king? Will that fall to the bastard son of Rob Baratheon? (or was he one of the ones already killed. (can't keep track of all the various people in the story.)

No, I've never read any of the books and probably never will read any of them. (unless I stumble onto the full set at a yard sale/thrift store for a couple of $$.)

These are not spoilers, it happened in the last episode.

Guys, it's not a spoiler if you're discussing the show. If you're discussing the book you're in the wrong thread. Again, there should be no need for spoiler tags here.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
To be honest, I'm amazed this thread wasn't locked instead of the one posted a day or two ago when this whole spoiler thing started...the last 15-20 pages of this thread have been basically nothing but spoilers and reactions to spoilers.

On the plus side, today I learned how to use the ignore list :D

Why not just make a new thread for people who haven't read the books and abandon this thread to the book nerds?

Hell I will start it.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Why not just make a new thread for people who haven't read the books and abandon this thread to the book nerds?

Hell I will start it.

That's what I was referring to. There was one made a couple days ago for that very reason and it was locked after only a couple of posts.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
I don't know what's worse...

- People who have read the books and are trying to spoil it for others
- People who are spending a disproportionate amount of posts in this thread bitching and moaning

Can you guys let it go? Put the 1 or 2 offenders on ignore and let it go. People are now getting upset about stuff that isn't even a spoiler. If you are on episode 1 and come in here then you're going to ruin episode 2. I had to wait a day to watch episode 2 and even though I have read the books I still stayed clear so that I didn't ruin the episode.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I, for one,
was damned glad to see Joffrey die a painful death. YAY! I suspect it doesn't bode well for the midget though. His bitch sister will make him pay.

Now...since queens only rule if they're married to a king...who will become the new king? Will that fall to the bastard son of Rob Baratheon? (or was he one of the ones already killed. (can't keep track of all the various people in the story.)

There is no King ATM. Cersei is Queen Regent. Her main job is to be a sort of ceremonial leader while everyone waits for Tommen to turn 16 and become king.

It's the King's Hand that really runs the kingdom though, along with the small council.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
That's what I was referring to. There was one made a couple days ago for that very reason and it was locked after only a couple of posts.

I just tried again, giving my rationale in the OP. If the mods kill my thread then screw discussing GOT on this forum.

Edit: All the thread needs to work really is a list in the OP of people who want to play spoiler so we all can block them and a whitehat book nerd to let us know when something is spoiled.

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
In answer to your question and this is information you can glean from even season one episodes

This is also not a spoiler. He was shown in season 1 and 2 and he's actually sitting right next to Tyrion at Joffrey's wedding (they recast the actor for this season so he looks different than before).

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

This isn't a spoiler. In one of the first episodes the lannisters are eating at winterfell and tyrion is talking to his other niece and nephew, tommen and myrcella. Tommen makes a ton of appearances and I can only assume that the blonde guy who is now apparently 15-16 or so was also tommen. He was sitting next to tyrion at the wedding.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013

My local library has them all. Not sure if that helps but I was kinda impressed to see them have hard cover examples in perfect condition.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
This isn't a spoiler. In one of the first episodes the lannisters are eating at winterfell and tyrion is talking to his other niece and nephew, tommen and myrcella. Tommen makes a ton of appearances and I can only assume that the blonde guy who is now apparently 15-16 or so was also tommen. He was sitting next to tyrion at the wedding.

Well, I'm tippy-toeing (well, aside from that NSFW spoiler link a few posts back) because of the enraged posts over the past 24 hours or so.

I suspect that the producers might have to recast the part because Tommen isn't believable (or rather it might be too jarring) to see Tommen who is supposedly 12 or younger at this point in the story being played by a 15-16 year old actor unfortunately.

Last edited:

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The books themselves seem to go on sale quite a bit on Amazon if you prefer new. Seems like every few weeks they're on sale.

Otherwise, they're popular enough that you probably have a friend with them, you just don't know it :D

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah, and the other guy who told him to die was also "blinded by rage".
Nope, he was responding to another veiled spoiler.

cool it with the whining about the spoilers. blankslate didn't give away any spoilers. He was talking about S4E2

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
cool it with the whining about the spoilers. blankslate didn't give away any spoilers. He was talking about S4E2

I wasn't the one who originally complained. It was the guy who said "Die" when he quoted him.
And with another of the "hints" by a book reader and what blankslate posted it was spoiler for me.

So, pay a bit more attention and just don't read the other guy who was looking at the wrong thing when he got his threads mixed up.

btw you are defending a guy who continually posts spoilers. Why? Just curious.

I think something is about to happen that will get the spoiler people either out of this thread or another thread for non book readers will happen.

There, that's a spoiler of my own.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Edit: All the thread needs to work really is a list in the OP of people who want to play spoiler so we all can block them and a whitehat book nerd to let us know when something is spoiled.

AViking would probably fit that description. Not sure if he wants it but I guess that's an unofficial nomination.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Here's an idea. If you like the show, RTFB. Its even better and actually makes the show better. If reading is too much for you...then stop reading the forum

Martin is a good editor, but he's a crap writer when it's more than a short story. I gave up on the series after Clash of Kings.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
AViking would probably fit that description. Not sure if he wants it but I guess that's an unofficial nomination.

All the whitehat has to do is say "add ____ to the OP list." As long as they don't say what part of the post is the spoiler it will mitigate spoilers.

Feb 6, 2007
I, for one,

None of that stuff is spoilerish, but to answer your questions about succession. Cersei had two sons, Joffrey and Tommen; although we've received pretty massive hints that they're her offspring with her brother Jaime, as far as the realm is concerned, they're the legitimate offspring of Cersei and King Robert Baratheon, and thus the rightful heirs to the throne. In the event of Joffrey's death, the succession moves down the lineage to the next male heir of Robert, Tommen Baratheon.

Stannis and Renly started the war because Ned Stark told them that Joffrey and Tommen weren't Robert's true heirs, so the succession should pass to Stannis as the oldest surviving brother of Robert (which Renly disagreed with, but he's dead).

The bastard Gendry has no claim to the throne as bastards do not inherit lands or titles from their fathers.

Margaery Tyrell has no claim to the throne either, since her wedding to Joffrey was never consummated and she'll have no male heirs of Joffrey's.

Daenerys Targaryen has claim as the only surviving heir of the king prior to Robert Baratheon, Aerys Targaryen, but she's not even in Westeros yet, and it certainly seems like the succession of the crown is based on male heirs, so her claim is suspect on multiple levels. Though none of that really matters if you have a big enough army (which she doesn't, at least not compared to the combined forces of everyone else fighting for the throne).

So, with all that, Tommen is next in line, and Cersei, as mother of an underage king, will be Queen Regent (again). Tywin likely remains hand of the king, so not much changes, apart from fewer prostitutes being hunted for sport (at least in King's Landing; Ramsay Snow certainly seems to enjoy such activities up north).

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
These are not spoilers, it happened in the last episode.

Guys, it's not a spoiler if you're discussing the show. If you're discussing the book you're in the wrong thread. Again, there should be no need for spoiler tags here.

It certainly can be a spoiler if you are watching the show. Some people DVR it and don't watch it until a few days later. Some people go online and glean info from leaks and the like which can also be potential spoilers.

It's akin to going to harry potter and after you get out telling everyone that snape killed dumbledore. Just because you saw it and its out in theatres doesn't mean that everyone had seen it. Not everyone had watched the movie (I still haven't), even though some had. Don't give away major plot twists in plain text. It's not that difficult to put it in a spoiler.

However, one probably shouldn't be browsing this thread unless they want to know what happens or will happen so i can see it from both ways.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Martin is a good editor, but he's a crap writer when it's more than a short story.

Might be why he made the decision to have each chapter aside from the Prologues and epilogues (when they appear) as a PoV from a certain character.

It's most like having several short stories per book that tell a larger story.

At least that's how I interpret that choice.