Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 159 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Just remember, every time someone asks GRRM when the next book comes out he kills a Stark.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
The reality is that you cannot count on the expected. Life throws curveballs at you and you never know what is going to happen. Tolkein and other works are predictable "hero" stories, the outcome is pretty much known. Martin takes the opposite approach, he wants to keep people guessing all the while developing characters inevitably. The problem is people attach themselves to perceived "good" or "bad" characters without even thinking about the story.

If you want braindead prosaic tripe where the hero always wins, go read that. If you want real life chaos, especially unbridled chaotic grabs for power, then you will appreciate these books.

Didn't anybody get Littlefinger's monolog? There was a point to that. In a grab for power anybody can die and most who aren't bright enough to seize power while they can, will. Those who thrive on chaos, the game, will win.

Personally I find the whole thing refreshing and a lot more entertaining than most books.

The problem is not people attaching themselves to characters they perceive as one thing or thing other. It's that three books are dedicated to a story and then it's wiped away and you are left with a bunch of characters, beyond Tyrion, that I would give two shits about. What is compelling in the story to keep me watching or reading?

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
You don't get it man! It's supposed to be super dark and edgy. If it's not dark and edgy, it's for little babies!

I'm not going to complain too much about what has happened because this was all written years ago. But I am disappointed because it's like, why bother developing all these characters and stories just to kill them all off? I used to look forward to each episode, now I don't really care anymore.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
You don't get it man! It's supposed to be super dark and edgy. If it's not dark and edgy, it's for little babies!

I'm not going to complain too much about what has happened because this was all written years ago. But I am disappointed because it's like, why bother developing all these characters and stories just to kill them all off? I used to look forward to each episode, now I don't really care anymore.

yeah, same here.
i read the wiki about Ser Jorah Mormont (Mother of Dragons knight). his future storyline looks stupid and is uninteresting to me. kinda how i feel about theon's currently story line

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
I personally like how GRRM did something a little different with his story by having the balls to kill main characters off. Makes us take future perils to main characters more seriously.

Not to say that the series is as great as some crack it up to be. I see some notable deficiencies with the story that put it clearly in the B grade of fantasy. But killing off main characters is not one of those deficiencies

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
I think the killing off of main characters is one of the best things about it. Who thought that Ned Stark was actually going to be executed? My jaw dropped when that happened after watching shows like 24 were Jack Bauer always survives somehow. I have read all the books and loved them. Also loving the show, but don't really like how they have deviated from the books. It has to be done sometimes because the cast is already massive.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
The problem is not people attaching themselves to characters they perceive as one thing or thing other. It's that three books are dedicated to a story and then it's wiped away and you are left with a bunch of characters, beyond Tyrion, that I would give two shits about. What is compelling in the story to keep me watching or reading?

personally, I like the overarching story enough to keep reading.

as old characters die, new ones get introduced and existing ones continue to grow.

I'm actually a little jealous of the people who haven't read the books, though. I found it impossible to get myself attached to characters like Robb Stark simply because I knew what fate had in store for him already (and his overall dumbassery)

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

All character development for Robb was done in the miniseries. From the lack of development that Robb had in the books, you could KNOW that he was doomed. He was NEVER a main character, never a central character, no different than Renly or anyone else.

In the books, chapter titles are named after the characters they are about. Guess how many chapters Robb had? If you go by the titles alone then only 2 main characters have died thus far in the show... Eddard and Catelyn.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
All character development for Robb was done in the miniseries. From the lack of development that Robb had in the books, you could KNOW that he was doomed. He was NEVER a main character, never a central character, no different than Renly or anyone else.

In the books, chapter titles are named after the characters they are about. Guess how many chapters Robb had? If you go by the titles alone then only 2 main characters have died thus far in the show... Eddard and Catelyn.

Catelyn's not actually dead.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

Exactly. The way he just discards characters you've spent several books reading about just makes me no longer give a damn about anyone or anything. I could care less who lives or dies anymore, I just want to see the ending and be done with it. That's not good story telling.

Catelyn's not actually dead.

I remember that part in the books. I thought it was REALLY stupid, and I hope the show doesn't even try it.

Last edited:

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Exactly. The way he just discards characters you've spent several books reading about just makes me no longer give a damn about anyone or anything. I could care less who lives or dies anymore, I just want to see the ending and be done with it. That's not good story telling.

I think the above and the various rebuttals others have provided say a lot about the different reasons people read/watch fiction, and what they get out of it. On this topic at least, there seem to be two distinct camps.

The first camp wants something to root for. They want to latch on to a person/people they like and watch their steady rise to victory. Fiction for them is, among other things, an outlet to reaffirm their belief that being morally right means you can win against terrible odds (or at least a chance to live in a world where that is true). Martin is going to agitate these people, because he seems to take particular delight in upsetting this notion. Fortunately for these people, though, most fiction is written for them.

The second group (including myself) gets frustrated with most fiction, because its predictability makes the suspension of disbelief difficult. I tend to get bored at supposedly suspenseful moments in most books because I know that the protagonist will survive. We're less interested in finding someone to believe in than we are in finding a story to believe in. Settings like A Song of Ice and Fire are great for us, because the real story is the world, and interesting characters come in and out of it, just as they do in real life.

In fact, if you really think about it, up to this point in the show, none of the really interesting characters (Tyrion, Daenerys' dragons, Varys, Littlefinger, Arya, Sandor, Jaime, Davos, Samwell, etc.) have died. Robb and Ned were kind of boring, and Catelyn was getting whiny with her obsessive grief. It's just that there's a sense now that the truly interesting characters could (and very well may yet) be killed.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I remember that part in the books. I thought it was REALLY stupid, and I hope the show doesn't even try it.

for the makeup department alone, I wonder if they'll tone it down.

in the Red Wedding episode, for example, she's not clawing off her face like she was in the book... on the other hand, I wonder if they'll accelerate the timeline lest she not be on the show at all for an entire season.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
tumblr_mnt41rcGb91rwnp75o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnt41rcGb91rwnp75o3_500.jpg

tumblr_mnt41rcGb91rwnp75o2_500.jpg

tumblr_mnt41rcGb91rwnp75o4_500.gif

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Sorry but after sleeping on it, the "killing a pregnant woman by stabbing the uterus" scene was just uncalled for. Especially if this is not how it goes down in the book. HBO stepped over a line IMO.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Sorry but after sleeping on it, the "killing a pregnant woman by stabbing the uterus" scene was just uncalled for. Especially if this is not how it goes down in the book. HBO stepped over a line IMO.

??? Slitting her throat would kill her and the baby just as well. The fact that she was not present in the book for the scene is the only difference.

People die pregnant all the time. When a purge occurs, do you think they are off limits or do you think every potential heir/usurper is killed immediately?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Yes. Mega spoiler
her mother becomes a vengeance driven zombie hellbent on killing Freys and Lanisters.

is that really true? or you just being facetious?

edit: i guess it is...based on others' comments

Last edited:

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

it was great, especially her and then his reaction

and there is no line.

happy couple discussing baby named after ned, then getting gut stabbed - what better way to show walder's pissed

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005

if you remember in the beginning of season 2, Cercei went around killing all of Robert's bastards including infants.

Also, it looks like you missed out on another horrifying thing they do to Robb after killing him. I won't spoil it in case they still do it next episode, but
they put grey winds head on Robb's body

Also think of what Gregor Clegane did. Things left out of the show, he raped girls just for the fun of it because a girl's Dad asked him for a favor.

There are many sickening and dark things that happen in a war.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
it was great, especially her and then his reaction

and there is no line.

happy couple discussing baby named after ned, then getting gut stabbed - what better way to show walder's pissed

That's what you get for naming the baby Eddard. Dumbasses.