Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 111 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Will there be any sex and nudity in season 3?

That should be obvious if you watched season 1 and 2.

Even in the previews you see Ygritte in a sex scene, a woman who might be Cersei undressing a new female character, and Robb with Talisa. That's just from the previews. Then there's the expected brothel scenes. The actress who plays Ros wasn't pregnant for this season, so I'd expect to see more of her again. Then they aged up Missandei from a child to an adult, so maybe that's for a lesbian scene with Dany. Then there's Brienne, Gwendoline Christie started as a nude model before she became an actress, so I'd expect a nude scene from her.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Then there's Brienne, Gwendoline Christie started as a nude model before she became an actress, so I'd expect a nude scene from her.
This I don't know about. One of the defining characteristics of Brienne is that she is distinctly unfeminine and ugly. I don't remember, has anyone in the show called her 'Brienne the Beauty' yet?

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
This I don't know about. One of the defining characteristics of Brienne is that she is distinctly unfeminine and ugly. I don't remember, has anyone in the show called her 'Brienne the Beauty' yet?

Not that I know of, but the book version was distinctly more ugly than the show version, same can be said of Ygritte as well.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The Bastard of Bolton was one mean bastard... I wish they had shown the full fight between the Bastard of Bolton's forces and the forces trying to siege winterfell, but they probably ran low on budget money.

Your comment confuses me further.
Do you mean that the Bastard of Bolton fought with Theon Greyjoy and crew after they had already seized Winterfell? ...or are you saying he fought with the siege forces that were already laying siege outside Winterfell trying to take it back from Theon Greyjoy?

I'm guessing you mixed-up the meaning of siege / seize.
:confused:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
isnt Theon being alive after the seige a MAJOR departure from the books?

In book three there's a very short conversation between Bolton and Tywin regarding Theon. In the book
it's assumed that Boltons Bastard has him locked up and they present the flayed skin from one of his fingers. Bolton wants him dead, but Tywin wants to keep him alive since he's the rightful heir to his fathers chair. With him being unaccounted for it would create additional drama in the battle for rights in the Iron Islands.

I'm just at the end of Book 3 though, so that's as much as I know at this point.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Your comment confuses me further.
Do you mean that the Bastard of Bolton fought with Theon Greyjoy and crew after they had already seized Winterfell? ...or are you saying he fought with the siege forces that were already laying siege outside Winterfell trying to take it back from Theon Greyjoy?

I'm guessing you mixed-up the meaning of siege / seize.
:confused:

I really don't want to spoil too much, but since I'm using the spoiler tag I figure it's ok. These are major spoilers so don't read if you don't want it spoiled! Also this is different than the TV series, this is how it turned out in the books.

Basically the series of events, in the books, happens this way:
* Theon takes Winterfell. Acts prickesh, but at least leaves most of the people alive, trying to act like he's king for a day or whatever. After he takes Winterfell, he trusts in some guy called "Reek" who was a prisoner of Winterfell. Theon trusts "Reek" to go to scrape up a small contingent of mercenaries, using a bag of silver coins. "Reek" goes off to gather up the mercenaries.
* While Reek is gone, the old Winterfell troops show up to take back their town, led by Rodrick. This is where Theon is all "I'll defend this town till we all die!" While trying to hide behind the walls of Winterfell, Rodrick's amassed army is attacked by none other than "Reek", who came back with a bunch of troops from Dreadfort. "Reek" mops the floor with Rodrick's forces, killing them all.
* Theon (being the dumbass that he is) basically says "wow you scraped up such a great army with just a bag of silver?" (I'm paraphrasing here to keep it short) and then lets "Reek" into Winterfell (keep in mind he's been hiding like a coward behind Winterfell's walls this entire time).
* "Reek" enters winterfell, dressed in fine armor, then Theon starts acting like he's high and mighty, questioning "Reek"'s actions. Reek smashes Theon across the face and knocks his ass out. It turns out that "Reek", this entire time, was really none other than "The Bastard of Bolton", Ramsay Snow (or Ramsay Bolton), disguised as Reek. That's how he was able to bring back a huge army, since he already had them stationed in the dreadfort. Ramsay Snow then proceeds to completely sack Winterfell - literally kills every last man, woman, child, dog, etc. in sight, then lights everything on fire. This is actually a worse fate for Winterfell than Theon. He then takes Theon into captivity and starts to torture the shit out of him.
* Bran, Rickon, Hodor, and the wilding chick then come out of hiding with the two wolves and discover Winterfell is burnt to the ground. Their initial thoughts was that Theon did it, since they were underground in the crypts, hiding, the entire time.

Cliff notes: Theon "seized" winterfell, Rodrick "sieged" winterfell, Ramsay took out Rodrick's troops during the siege, then "siezed" winterfell from Theon.

Last edited:

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Something I do not understand about the last episode of season 2:
Theon Greyjoy
and his less-than-loyal men were holding Winterfell while it was under siege from Northerners. He planned to fight to the death (Alamo-style), but his disloyal men knocked him unconscious. I assumed that they were accepting Robb Stark's offer to let them all go free if they leave and turn-over the traitor, Theon Greyjoy. However, the next scene of Winterfell shows the city in ruins as Bran, Rickon, and company come out of hiding. There isn't a Northerner to be found anywhere. Theon's men burned Winterfell? What did they do about the soldiers outside the wall? I'm confused.

This is something you have to stay tuned for. IMO one can't fully explain it without at least implying plot spoilers. (though apparently the discussion has already begun)

Suffice to say, the show's events were substantially different than the book's, but the overall direction remains the same.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Theon is the best character. You love to hate him. And hate to love him.

His character in the TV is good, but his story line in the books is amazing. Sadly, we really wont see the fate of him (and how they deal with him in the TV show) until next season -- or even season 5 for that matter. I'm pretty sure he's all but non-existent in book 3 (seasons 3 & 4)

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

His character in the TV is good, but his story line in the books is amazing. Sadly, we really wont see the fate of him (and how they deal with him in the TV show) until next season -- or even season 5 for that matter. I'm pretty sure he's all but non-existent in book 3 (seasons 3 & 4)
For a lot of people you just spoiled any suspense we might have had for his character

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

His character in the TV is good, but his story line in the books is amazing

An interesting character to say the least.

Dunno if I find myself rooting for Theon "Reek" Greyjoy after his betrayal. But I definitely feel bad for his character.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Just wanted to drop in and say hi
Only a few days left until the start of Season 3!
No way to tell what is in store for us this season

Surely George RR Martin has written another great story
Now the Dany has her dragons back, will she go to Westeros?
Or do you think that Joffrey will still be king?
Which ever way it goes, it should be a hell of a ride

Does anyone remember why that guy cut Tyrion's face last year?
It looks like he has a scar, but wasn't affected too bad
Easily my favorite character in the show
Sept for Hodor of course, Hodor!

Interesting that the dragons still don't look too big
Now you have to wonder how much time has passed since last season

Bran & his brother heading for the wall, will they find Jon?
Or will Arya meet up with them along the road?
Or will Sansa ever figure out a way our of King's Landing?
Killing off Joffrey has to happen at some point, right?

For how much I hate him, he is a good actor though
Interested to see him marry that Tyrell chick with the good rack
Varys will of course be up to his typical shenanigans
Either way, should be a great season of TV!

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Brienne will have a bath scene with Jaime.

More like a bondage bed scene similar to the beginning of "Basic Instinct" and instead of an ice pick she uses a short-sword... thus saving her skin from Lady Stoneheart.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
RdSJyNL.jpg

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
O damn that would make a good wallpaper.

I hope the creator doesn't mind. .. I made it 1080p

khaleesi1080.jpg

Last edited: