Gallop Poll On Religion 2008

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Wow, I'm surprised at the Jewish numbers. I think they must have found an enlightened sample group. And it be GallUp.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: CPA
What does Scientology expect when it has Tom Cruise and John Travolta as its spokesmen.

They are a joke and nothing more. Wasting time on celebrity gossip is just that... a waste of time.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The poll results are missing some key bits of information.

First you need to know what percentage of the people polled belong to what religious group. It would be obvious that if you were a catholic, that you may have a bias toward your own religion. Or better yet what percentage of Americans say they belong to what religious group nationally. It is hard to interpret the data otherwise. For instance it might be interesting to know if the only reason people did not like certain groups is because they did not belong to them.

A lot of this information seems to point to the perceived image about which group. The media questioned whether a Mormon could be president. The first thing that popped into my Mormon head is that the media is full of biggotry and bias. So does the media brain wash people?

So this is what the Gallup Poll says about people willing to vote for a Mormon as President:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/103...rmon-Holds-Steady.aspx

It clearly shows that people would be willing to vote for a nominee if that person were a Mormon. However, the media seems to question the data. That is becase they are biggots. It is the media that is afraid of religion, not America and not Americans. The data clearly shows this.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Originally posted by: Brigandier

So they are like a self-help book guru? You have to keep shelling out money to get more knowledge.

Ohh noes.

They are still harmless. When I start to notice people getting killed in the name of Scientology, they will maybe start to matter.

Start Caring

Yawn. Rumors and nonsense.

Scientology is a joke. Nothing more. All the attention it gets is solely because celebrities are involved. If they were just everyday jokers and nutjobs no one would care until they get to the Kool-aid stage.

Then it would be a few days of news, a couple months with a few follow ups, and a remembrance every year.

Having imaginary friends whether they be bad alien spirits or daddy creator figures is still silly.

My point is that for thousands of years people have been killing other people en mass for Imaginary friends.

There are hundreds of people around the world right now killing each other for that very cause.

Scientology isn't overtly killing anyone. You can accuse them all you want. Still doesn't make up for lack of proof. And the have a HUGE gap to fill before they get anywhere close to Christianity. Hell they aren't even near the group of very devote Christians you know as the KKK.

They are harmless. Waste your time on something other then celebrity gossip.

Btw. It sounds like someone has caught the cancer.

They are far more then 'a joke'. They have quite a bit of wealth used to harass people who expose their wrongs. And that has nothing to do with celebrity members.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: brandonb
Scientology involves celebrities (which people really care about) and things out side the norm (which really scares them). Put them together and people are scared shitless.

When Scientology catches up to, I don't know, Christianity, on the murder-toll, I might start caring.

Whats the murder-poll of Christians these days, like in the last 50 years? 5 abortion doctors maybe? Whats your guess?

I'd say they are in the millions. In the last 5 years... I don't know just off the top of my head... probably a couple thousand. Remember the lady who systematically drowned her kids because they were possessed by Satan. Yeah.

How did *Christianity* kill the children? Were there a "couple thousand" children she killed?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KB
The don't include agnostics. Also atheists are not a religious or spiritual group.

I am surprised atheists are liked so little, less than Muslims!

They probably lumped agnostics in with atheists. Happens all the time if you don't follow one of the organized religions.

A few days ago my wife (christian) and her church going friend were talking and her friend asked why I don't go to church with her. She told her friend I don't believe in god. I corrected her saying, 'That's not true. I just don't believe in *your* god or any of the organized relgions. There is a difference.

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001

They are still harmless. When I start to notice people getting killed in the name of Scientology, they will maybe start to matter.

be careful what you ask for:

http://whyaretheydead.net/

Didn't see the link.

Originally posted by: CPA
What does Scientology expect when it has Tom Cruise and John Travolta as its spokesmen.

They are a joke and nothing more. Wasting time on celebrity gossip is just that... a waste of time.

Are you a scientologist?

I have been following scientology for a while now and let me tell you something, it is scary. The public face of scientology is way way different than behind the scened.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
not a surprise to see atheists at the bottom.

Not suprising at all. That's what they get for living at the upper end of the bell shaped IQ curve. :thumbsup:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
I'd say they are in the millions. In the last 5 years... I don't know just off the top of my head... probably a couple thousand. Remember the lady who systematically drowned her kids because they were possessed by Satan. Yeah.

How did *Christianity* kill the children? Were there a "couple thousand" children she killed?

I wouldn't even make that argument as to whether religion was involved or not. Was this murder waged against another religion/ideology? Was it waged as an act of war, or was it merely insanity?

Of course it was insanity. Her children weren?t having abortions or ideals opposing her religion at their age. That's the folly of such comparison.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey

Not suprising at all. That's what they get for living at the upper end of the bell shaped IQ curve. :thumbsup:

:roll:

A little stuck on yourself, are ya?

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
How is Atheism even considered a religion? :confused:

That's the point. It's freedom from religion.

:roll:

A little stuck on yourself, are ya?

Nope. Just not hung up on other people's imaginary deities and mystery oil. :)

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I've heard believers argue atheism is a form of religion because it's a 'belief' in not believing in a supreme being. I say no.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Not a surprise, but it's still very very sad. It's been a couple thousand years since civilization began and most people still adhere to primitive, caveman philosophies.

Religion is an advent of society to control the masses. It does not pre-date society, it has been part of our society and has only started its decline in the past hundred years.
It's also a security blanket for people. Once you get old enough to see that your parents really aren't the all-powerful protectors you once thought they were, you don't like that lack of security. You need something more, like an all-powerful all-loving protector. One who will let bad things happen to you repeatedly, one who you can never see, and one who requires you to die before meeting him.

'When god gives you lemons, find another god!"

Originally posted by: Robor

I've heard believers argue atheism is a form of religion because it's a 'belief' in not believing in a supreme being. I say no.
My thoughts, too. I don't just no accept the idea of some all-powerful creator entity, I also don't accept the dogma of the religions that humanity has come up with. Since I don't accept the latter, and the former is the result of the religions, logically, I would simply have to be an atheist. ;)

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

As Sam Harris says: "We don't need a term for someone who doesn't believe in astrology..."

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
There will always be religion. It may not be centered around a "god". I personally think ideologies will replace traditional religion over the next 1000 years. They are as powerful as religion but dont require a belief in a spiritual being. Just a belief in the ideology and the leaders who profess the faith.
I think the only thing that will lead to significant abandonment of a belief in God would be the combination of (1) advances in medicine such that all diseases are curable, all physical and mental problems/limitations are correctable, aging is halted (and reversible), and death is conquered, (2) criminality is eliminated or at least greatly reduced, and (3) conflict between societies is effectively eliminated.

Absent any of those things, significant human suffering would still occur. And in the face of suffering, most people need as a coping mechanism a sense of cosmic order, purpose, and justice = God.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

The average IQ of atheists is 105.8. Jews, on the other hand, average about 115. So I don't think one can necessarily conclude anything about intellectual prowess versus a belief in God.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Excelsior

As Sam Harris says: "We don't need a term for someone who doesn't believe in astrology..."

Good one. I'll have to remember that! :thumbsup:

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: shira

The average IQ of atheists is 105.8. Jews, on the other hand, average about 115. So I don't think one can necessarily conclude anything about intellectual prowess versus a belief in God.

Are they Jews that follow the faith or those who are simply born Jewish? When I was born/raised my mother followed Lutheran faith and that's how I was baptised. I am agnostic so I am not Lutheran - or anything for that matter. The way I understand it (from a friend) if I was born from Jewish parents (or at least mother?) I would still be considered Jewish regardless of whether I believe in Judaism. The same person who told me that also told me that there are 'real Jews' who are born that way and converted Jews who don't have Jewish blood. She felt the converts were less Jewish because they weren't born that way. I don't know if that's common or just her interpretation - either way I thought that very odd.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Are they Jews that follow the faith or those who are simply born Jewish? When I was born/raised my mother followed Lutheran faith and that's how I was baptised. I am agnostic so I am not Lutheran - or anything for that matter. The way I understand it (from a friend) if I was born from Jewish parents (or at least mother?) I would still be considered Jewish regardless of whether I believe in Judaism. The same person who told me that also told me that there are 'real Jews' who are born that way and converted Jews who don't have Jewish blood. She felt the converts were less Jewish because they weren't born that way. I don't know if that's common or just her interpretation - either way I thought that very odd.

I was born Jewish, am currently atheist. Did my IQ go down when I made the switch? Damnit.

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
If I were to walk up to someone who is illiterate and say, "Hey, you can't read. I can. Therefore, I am smarter than you", I would more than likely get the response of "Fvck you!" and get popped in the mouth, than, say, "I find your argument quite persuading, Mr.Deli, and would like to look into becoming literate. Would you please show me where to begin?"

The reason, I think, that atheists are viewed so poorly is their central thesis lately has seemed to be, as evidenced by many of the posts here in this thread, "I don't believe in God. You're an idiot and I am smart", instead of a much more measured, "I don't believe in God. If you are interested, I will tell you why".

Yes, I am well aware that believers can be just as obnoxious as any atheists; however, it seems to me that the new Pop-Atheist crowd puts more emphasis on being smarter than those dumb believers, than any intellectual reasons for their a-belief.

And before anyone jumps at the chance to point out that my illiteracy metaphor could imply that I am calling believers, in effect, illiterate. It is not intended as such, but only a result of not wanting to put more time into a more tactful analogy. Besides, I am quite certain that at least one of the atheists will not only imply such a meaning, but will explicitly state it.

Though I share the :confused: of atheists being seen as worse than Muslim's at this current time.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
The reason, I think, that atheists are viewed so poorly is their central thesis lately has seemed to be, as evidenced by many of the posts here in this thread, "I don't believe in God. You're an idiot and I am smart", instead of a much more measured, "I don't believe in God. If you are interested, I will tell you why".

Actually, their central thesis has been the latter for some time now. Just watch a Sam Harris speech (here is a short clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLIKAyzeIw4) or the Hitchens/McGrath debate (clip with links to the rest of the debate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip2nw0NWUW4).

Yes, I am well aware that believers can be just as obnoxious as any atheists; however, it seems to me that the new Pop-Atheist crowd puts more emphasis on being smarter than those dumb believers, than any intellectual reasons for their a-belief.

They don't have to act like they're smarter in order to be so. They're just making more reasoned and logical arguments than the religious people. You can see this in debates all day long. But we all know that one can be smart and religious or dumb and atheist. Alistair McGrath, who debates Hitchens in the link above, is much smarter than the average man yet he is a serious Christian and theologian.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

I doubt that as much as I doubt the existence of any deity. Proof, please.

And BTW - I'm from a Jewish family background, so I guess that makes me a Jewish atheist. That means I get to sum your numbers for an IQ of 220.8. :laugh:

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: brandonb
Scientology involves celebrities (which people really care about) and things out side the norm (which really scares them). Put them together and people are scared shitless.

When Scientology catches up to, I don't know, Christianity, on the murder-toll, I might start caring.

Whats the murder-poll of Christians these days, like in the last 50 years? 5 abortion doctors maybe? Whats your guess?

The religion didn't, but the woman killed in the name of the idea. Killing in the name of an imaginary friend, especially when there is a book that clearly says in many parts that it is completely acceptable, is a pretty stupid thing.

I don't think there is a book or a legacy anywhere in Scientology that tell it's members that it is okay to knock off anyone who they view as "evil".

People use the guise of Christianity every day to express their hate. There is A LOT of good things religions can offer. Unfortunately there is also a massive potential for bad. So far I have not seen any actual proof of a nutjob from Scientology killing anyone in the name of their religion or in the name of an idea from that religion.

It happens hourly for Christianity and Islamic religions.

Scientology is a silly group that needs silly hats.