Gallop Poll On Religion 2008

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
Gallop Results

Catholics are one of four U.S. religious groups tested in the survey with strongly positive ratings, along with Jews (+42) and two Protestant denominations, Methodists (+45) and Baptists (+35).

Nothing suprising up there. The bottom of the barrel is surprising:

Three of the religious groups included in the survey are mostly viewed negatively, including Scientologists, atheists, and Muslims, with Scientologists having the lowest overall rating.

First, I never knew that atheists/Scientologists are viewed so lowly. But was surprised to see Scientology listed in the first place, let alone to have the lowest score.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
watch our mormons...we are catching up :p ;)

I'm not surprised that scientologists are viewed at the bottom. It should be - it isn't a religion, it is a racketeering program

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I remember seeing a poll a few years back that asked parents what attributes they would least like in a partner that their son or daughter brought home to meet them. Atheist at the time was dead last. Shockingly enough, it was even lower then the person being black. Considering how racist America is towards black people, that's pretty amazing.

I always find that strange, because nearly every person I know is an atheist. Maybe we just have the secret handshake or whatever.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Having other religions rate others? Oh that sounds like fun.... One Organized cluster fuck trying to out do the other....

Why even bother?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: eskimospy
I remember seeing a poll a few years back that asked parents what attributes they would least like in a partner that their son or daughter brought home to meet them. Atheist at the time was dead last. Shockingly enough, it was even lower then the person being black. Considering how racist America is towards black people, that's pretty amazing.

I always find that strange, because nearly every person I know is an atheist. Maybe we just have the secret handshake or whatever.

I don't think it is the idea itself, but that it is put out there openly that you are an atheist. I'm atheistic-leaning agnostic (I probably only keep ideas of God in my head because it makes things more interesting), but if asked by people of faith I'll say I'm Catholic. I was raised Catholic and it isn't just about believing in God, but about the values you grew up with and similar experiences as far as weekly mass, communion, and whatnot. So it doesn't really matter that I don't believe in it now, I know that someone else who was raised strictly Catholic usually shares a lot of the same values that I do.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
not a surprise to see atheists at the bottom.

Not a surprise, but it's still very very sad. It's been a couple thousand years since civilization began and most people still adhere to primitive, caveman philosophies.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Scientology involves celebrities (which people really care about) and things out side the norm (which really scares them). Put them together and people are scared shitless.

When Scientology catches up to, I don't know, Christianity, on the murder-toll, I might start caring.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Scientology involves celebrities (which people really care about) and things out side the norm (which really scares them). Put them together and people are scared shitless.

When Scientology catches up to, I don't know, Christianity, on the murder-toll, I might start caring.

Whats the murder-poll of Christians these days, like in the last 50 years? 5 abortion doctors maybe? Whats your guess?

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008

Scientology includes paying ridiculous sums to learn the truth, and all the while you climb you're told lies that they later repudiate. Also, unless you're a celebrity you're treated as a money maker, not a person of devout faith. Scinetology should be at the bottom.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
The don't include agnostics. Also atheists are not a religious or spiritual group.

I am surprised atheists are liked so little, less than Muslims!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow, to be honest I didn't think atheists would be so low. People are dumb.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Not a surprise, but it's still very very sad. It's been a couple thousand years since civilization began and most people still adhere to primitive, caveman philosophies.

Religion is an advent of society to control the masses. It does not pre-date society, it has been part of our society and has only started its decline in the past hundred years.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Religion is an advent of society to control the masses. It does not pre-date society, it has been part of our society and has only started its decline in the past hundred years.

There will always be religion. It may not be centered around a "god". I personally think ideologies will replace traditional religion over the next 1000 years. They are as powerful as religion but dont require a belief in a spiritual being. Just a belief in the ideology and the leaders who profess the faith.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Right, because black people are the shining example of racial tolerance themselves.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
I'd say they are in the millions. In the last 5 years... I don't know just off the top of my head... probably a couple thousand. Remember the lady who systematically drowned her kids because they were possessed by Satan. Yeah.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Brigandier

Scientology includes paying ridiculous sums to learn the truth, and all the while you climb you're told lies that they later repudiate. Also, unless you're a celebrity you're treated as a money maker, not a person of devout faith. Scinetology should be at the bottom.

Tithes to the church are a common practice in any religion. Ever hear of Church Elders... Wonder how you get those titles... You add a wing.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: brandonb

Whats the murder-poll of Christians these days, like in the last 50 years? 5 abortion doctors maybe? Whats your guess?

I'd say they are in the millions. In the last 5 years... I don't know just off the top of my head... probably a couple thousand. Remember the lady who systematically drowned her kids because they were possessed by Satan. Yeah.

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008

Tithes to the church are a common practice in any religion. Ever hear of Church Elders... Wonder how you get those titles... You add a wing.

A voluntary practice, I can go into any Christian service I want to and not pay a thing. try advancing through scinetology for free.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

A voluntary practice, I can go into any Christian service I want to and not pay a thing. try advancing through scinetology for free.

So they are like a self-help book guru? You have to keep shelling out money to get more knowledge.

Ohh noes.

They are still harmless. When I start to notice people getting killed in the name of Scientology, they will maybe start to matter.

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008

So they are like a self-help book guru? You have to keep shelling out money to get more knowledge.

Ohh noes.

They are still harmless. When I start to notice people getting killed in the name of Scientology, they will maybe start to matter.

Start Caring

Eidt: Also Operation Clambake

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Ohh noes.

Start Caring

Yawn. Rumors and nonsense.

Scientology is a joke. Nothing more. All the attention it gets is solely because celebrities are involved. If they were just everyday jokers and nutjobs no one would care until they get to the Kool-aid stage.

Then it would be a few days of news, a couple months with a few follow ups, and a remembrance every year.

Having imaginary friends whether they be bad alien spirits or daddy creator figures is still silly.

My point is that for thousands of years people have been killing other people en mass for Imaginary friends.

There are hundreds of people around the world right now killing each other for that very cause.

Scientology isn't overtly killing anyone. You can accuse them all you want. Still doesn't make up for lack of proof. And the have a HUGE gap to fill before they get anywhere close to Christianity. Hell they aren't even near the group of very devote Christians you know as the KKK.

They are harmless. Waste your time on something other then celebrity gossip.

Btw. It sounds like someone has caught the cancer.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
What does Scientology expect when it has Tom Cruise and John Travolta as its spokesmen.