Galaxy S7 regular/edge owners roll call....

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Anyone have issues with BT?

Mine connects to Sync, but the use as phone button goes to disabled as soon as I move it to enable. Media playback stays enabled. Going by previous occurrences, if I unpair and reestablish it will work normally for awhile and then same problem begins at some point.

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ive only used BT to link to game controllers and to a OBD2 code reader, and BT headphones, worked fine for all.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Use BT to connect to car, controller, and speakers constantly and never had an issue.

I'd check my apps which can access BT, disable them all, and test 1 by 1.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Didn't even realize us Verizon folks would be getting the 7.0 update. I love my S7 Edge but I don't keep up with stuff like that really, so that's cool to hear!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
My only complaint with my S7 Edge is the battery life has been getting worse over time and it's now pretty shitty after being incredible for quite a while after I got it last summer some time.

I do have a Gear VR and updates to that fuckin software in the past have screwed with the battery life (and once caused phone heat issues). A couple days ago I followed the Samsung Gear VR uninstall instructions and uninstalled the one stupid app you can actually uninstall but that hasn't helped at all. I like the Gear VR but just don't use it much so I'm actually considering wiping the phone and starting over. I do seem to notice, though, that the battery can also be worse after doing a bunch of app updates through the Google Play Store. I actually hardly update my apps now because of that.

Maybe it's all in my head but I honestly don't think so. Any of you guys with the S7 notice a degrading battery? I got my S7 Edge new from Verizon in June of 2016. By the way the only thing I have running besides an occasional quick location/GPS enable is Wi-Fi (or a quick mobile data when Wi-Fi isn't available), though I've actually been keeping Wi-Fi off most of the time now due to the battery draining.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
I have a regular S7 (Exynos version) and use it heavily for work & play since July and I'd say my battery is still just great. I get 12-14+ hours business use daily which can probably go to 16 if I use every last bit of power, quick charge and the kids get a few hours of Gear VR games (Never timed it, but probably about 4h or so unplugged if I push it). I'm impressed honestly, no other phone I've used comes close to this.

Check which apps are possibly draining your battery.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My only complaint with my S7 Edge is the battery life has been getting worse over time and it's now pretty shitty after being incredible for quite a while after I got it last summer some time.

I do have a Gear VR and updates to that fuckin software in the past have screwed with the battery life (and once caused phone heat issues). A couple days ago I followed the Samsung Gear VR uninstall instructions and uninstalled the one stupid app you can actually uninstall but that hasn't helped at all. I like the Gear VR but just don't use it much so I'm actually considering wiping the phone and starting over. I do seem to notice, though, that the battery can also be worse after doing a bunch of app updates through the Google Play Store. I actually hardly update my apps now because of that.

Maybe it's all in my head but I honestly don't think so. Any of you guys with the S7 notice a degrading battery? I got my S7 Edge new from Verizon in June of 2016. By the way the only thing I have running besides an occasional quick location/GPS enable is Wi-Fi (or a quick mobile data when Wi-Fi isn't available), though I've actually been keeping Wi-Fi off most of the time now due to the battery draining.

This happened to me as well, all was fine for the first little while then i started to notice a drop in battery life, i started watching what programs were eating battery and noticed it was the android system itself that was eating battery.

This turned out to be a faulty SD card, as it had some corrupted files on it and the android system was scanning the SD card constantly to build a list of media files, it got to the corrupted files and just kept scanning in a loop killing battery life.

Took out sd card cleaned contacts and reformatted it and all was well again.

gregulator

Apr 23, 2000
I also have degraded battery performance, but I can definitely tell that it is something keeping the phone from going into sleep or doze mode. I used to see the phone barely use any battery overnight, but now it chews through a lot of battery life, and never sleeps. I am not rooted, so apps like GSam can't tell me a whole lot other than the Android System/Android OS are using the most battery. So something is keeping the phone from going into a lower power mode (wakelock I guess is the term).

Rifter, how did you discover that the SD card was the issue specifically? Any way to tell that the system is scanning the SD card?

I really don't want to get into the Apple ecosystem, but crap like this, and hunting it down really makes me frustrated with Android. I barely have any apps installed. I don't use facebook or snapchat or anything. I hate having to spend time farting around with this crap to get my phone to work.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
This happened to me as well, all was fine for the first little while then i started to notice a drop in battery life, i started watching what programs were eating battery and noticed it was the android system itself that was eating battery.

This turned out to be a faulty SD card, as it had some corrupted files on it and the android system was scanning the SD card constantly to build a list of media files, it got to the corrupted files and just kept scanning in a loop killing battery life.

Took out sd card cleaned contacts and reformatted it and all was well again.
Hmmm, might be worth a try, thanks!

I have a feeling it is due to application(s) using the network in the background, because when I turn wi-fi off (I normally don't use mobile data unless there's no wi-fi) the battery seems to be great, almost like it used to be. I think I will monitor it closely, keeping wi-fi on/off, and see what kind of performance I get. I'll try the SD card thing too if necessary.

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
I also have degraded battery performance, but I can definitely tell that it is something keeping the phone from going into sleep or doze mode. I used to see the phone barely use any battery overnight, but now it chews through a lot of battery life, and never sleeps. I am not rooted, so apps like GSam can't tell me a whole lot other than the Android System/Android OS are using the most battery. So something is keeping the phone from going into a lower power mode (wakelock I guess is the term).

Rifter, how did you discover that the SD card was the issue specifically? Any way to tell that the system is scanning the SD card?

I really don't want to get into the Apple ecosystem, but crap like this, and hunting it down really makes me frustrated with Android. I barely have any apps installed. I don't use facebook or snapchat or anything. I hate having to spend time farting around with this crap to get my phone to work.

If you have Greenify installed it will list the apps currently running in the background on your device which may help narrow down the app causing the battery drain.
This has a big advantage over the built in battery monitor which lists what process is draining the battery but not which app is calling that process.

For example you may use a map app which will intern use the google location API to get its location, the location call will be draining the battery but as the location API is part of "android system" the battery drain gets attributed to "android system" instead of the map app.

Many apps call on the android system APIs for features which makes it difficult to see what app is actually giving the battery drain.

If you prefer iOS for its features then that is a valid reason to make a change but I would not recommend changing if you perceive Apple devices to be free of the battery issues you mention.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Anyone have issues with BT?

Mine connects to Sync, but the use as phone button goes to disabled as soon as I move it to enable. Media playback stays enabled. Going by previous occurrences, if I unpair and reestablish it will work normally for awhile and then same problem begins at some point.
Every problem I've had with Sync was the fault of Sync.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

It was suggested on another forum i go to, i took it out to test and sure enough when i put the card in my computer with a usb card reader my PC as well was having issues reading the card.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
I use H2testw to test all my SD cards. Great little program.

I run about 42% failure rate.

Yes that is a lot of returns.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I find it funny that nougat dev preview was back in march 2016... almost a year ago, why does it take samsung that long to make an update?

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I find it funny that nougat dev preview was back in march 2016... almost a year ago, why does it take samsung that long to make an update?
Are you part of a team capable of churning out code in a couple months for something so massive as a full-blown mobile operating system? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to write and debug that much code?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Are you part of a team capable of churning out code in a couple months for something so massive as a full-blown mobile operating system? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to write and debug that much code?

Plus I believe this is more a T-mobile issue than Samsung.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Update downloading for my att s7 edge at 1.5gb. Actually surprised with att as I expected them to lag other carriers by a month.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The nougat update on tmo s7 edge is nice. Brought many of the features the note 7 had.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Lg did it in december so yes its possible, with all the cash that samsung swims in it can hire a more capable team.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
So AT&T S7 Edge here with official Nogurt. Initially I just took the update, updated some apps that wanted updating, updated the theme I was using, and everything was "OK" but not great.

Certain things felt super smooth but there was more choppiness when switching (e.g. one app opening the browser) than on MM. It felt more noticeable as other parts of the OS felt significantly smoother than MM.

So after letting it backup everything to Samsung (including messages and apps), I did a factory reset and set everything back up. Didn't take very long as most of my apps, all my call and message history, and my settings were all restored. Had to download a handful of apps that were missed for some reason and do the normal setting up of accounts/security/etc. I did have a couple app backups (Nova, my mail app) that avoided the few areas I tend to do a whole bunch of customization.

So end result - across the board performance and smoothness are much better and significantly better than stock MM. Stock MM never bothered me unless you did a direct side by side with something like a Pixel, but Samsung-Nogurt seems a good improvement.

It's 95% the same in day to day use, but I do like the improved notifications, quick settings, and settings. No difference in apps. Too early to tell for battery life as day 1 I downloaded the update, and day 2 I did a factory reset and reinstall.

As far as aesthetics, Basic Mode on the display + Material Dark theme + Nova is my preferred setup even over stock Android/Pixel Nogurt.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just went into mine to check for software updates and it is pulling it down now.