Galaxy S7 regular/edge owners roll call....

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
WelshBloke,
Do you use the Always On Display, and if so did they implement the Note 7s display to show 3rd party app notifications? That's the one biggest thing I miss from the Note 7s UI.

I don't but I can test it for you if you want?

Does the N7 support WhatsApp or hangouts? That's the notification I'm most likely to get soon.

Anything in particular I need to click to enable it or just turn on AOD?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Inbox and Facebook messenger (for SMS) both seem to work. You just get a little icon on the AOD under the clock for each app.

Edit: Hangouts works as well. And WhatsApp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paladin

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Isn't that mainly to test if you have bought a forged card that's reporting as a larger capacity than it really is?

If you don't look for bargin sdcards on ebay direct from China that shouldn't be a problem.

except that it is.

I purchased my original sandisk card that failed off amazon. not counterfeit, because when it died, I RMA'ed it to sandisk. the replacement card eventually failed and am currently waiting for a 3rd rma

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I really kind of want to test the 7.0 beta, but that would require me to flash back to the VZW branded FW and I refuse to do it.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I really kind of want to test the 7.0 beta, but that would require me to flash back to the VZW branded FW and I refuse to do it.
A lot of people seem to be having trouble after Odin flashing updates that they wouldn't otherwise have. That said the XDA threads are full of people who haven't got a clue what they are doing so...

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
A lot of people seem to be having trouble after Odin flashing updates that they wouldn't otherwise have. That said the XDA threads are full of people who haven't got a clue what they are doing so...

Yeah, I've been at XDA a fairly long time and noticed that myself.

To get the 7.0 beta, I'd have to flash back to the branded PH1 FW, then put the update.zip on an SD card and flash it using the stock recovery - it's supposed to work fine.

But after tasting the perfection of an unbranded rom, completely free of Verizon's pudgy fingers, I'm not going back. I'll stay happy on my U FW till there's a 7.0 update for it out, and if there isn't one, well... I'll live.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I thought there was a dedicated Gear VR thread here but I guess I was mistaken cause I can't find it.

Anyway, I took out my Gear VR (I have an S7 Edge) tonight for the first time in a while cause I had seen that airplane game (you fly a Spitfire I believe) while browsing the Oculus app recently and it looked cool so tonight I bought it and was looking forward to playing it.

I hooked up the Samsung headphones to my phone and powered on my Moga Hero controller, as usual, and put the phone into the Gear VR headset. No chime that I normally hear when the phone is detected by the headset. I put it over my head and all I see is the Google app up on the screen. Hitting the Back button on the headset just brought me to the phone's Home screen. Resetting the phone does the same thing. Nothing happens when plugging the phone into the headset.

After a couple minutes of Googling the problem, I decided to uninstall the Oculus app. Fine, but the problem still remains and now I don't have the Oculus app. I'm hesitant to uninstall any other app, although I read that you can't really get the Gear VR software off the phone without a factory reset anyway.

So... what in the shit? My Gear VR has always worked great for me until tonight. Damnit. Any of you smart dudes have any suggestions? Thanks for any help. :coldsweat::confounded::cryingcat::rage:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Well I posted a reply to a thread about this issue on the Oculus forum. One dude got his working by unscrewing the plastic housing around the USB connector on the Gear VR headset and putting it back but that didn't work for me (and the connection looked fine). Looks like a couple guys went to Best Buy and they were able to test out their Gear VR headset using another phone so I guess that's my only option, although what am I supposed to do if my Gear VR works with another phone?

I bought it via Amazon in May 2016 so I can't believe I can return it now. Fucking thing just stops working all of a sudden; bah. I've been super careful with it, too.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Well I posted a reply to a thread about this issue on the Oculus forum. One dude got his working by unscrewing the plastic housing around the USB connector on the Gear VR headset and putting it back but that didn't work for me (and the connection looked fine). Looks like a couple guys went to Best Buy and they were able to test out their Gear VR headset using another phone so I guess that's my only option, although what am I supposed to do if my Gear VR works with another phone?

I bought it via Amazon in May 2016 so I can't believe I can return it now. Fucking thing just stops working all of a sudden; bah. I've been super careful with it, too.
Is it a 2015 (white) or 2016 (blue) VR?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
It's a white Gear VR. I got it working! Here's the post I made to a thread for this problem on the Oculus forum (lotta people have the problem it seems), in case it could help someone here eventually:

Well I'll be damned, I got it working.

So while researching this issue I found a couple people had mentioned they were using that Google Cardboard for Gear VR enabler app, which I had forgotten about and that I also had on my phone. I loaded it up and it had the Cardboard mode selected. I pressed the Gear VR image and it popped up with a message like "Enabling application package failed" or something similar. I couldn't uninstall the app (grayed out) but it did need an update in the Play Store so I did that. After updating it, I could launch and reactivate it, and finally the app went into the Gear VR mode instead of the Cardboard mode.

After getting the Cardboard app running and in Gear VR mode, I put my phone in the headset and boom, it worked perfectly.

- So for people who have the Cardboard app: Open it up and make sure you have Gear VR selected. I am pretty sure I had Gear VR selected before/originally, but I have a hunch that I updated the Cardboard app (normally, via Play Store) and my settings were lost/defaulted. I've lost settings of numerous other apps when updating them (I'm looking at you, Tapatalk).
- For people that do not have the Cardboard app: I have a feeling your problem is due to some Gear VR app/service not running or being disabled. Go to Settings -> Applications and go through every Gear VR-related app you can find and make sure it is not stopped/disabled. If they are all enabled, try clearing the cache of all of them that you can. If all else fails, try uninstalling every Gear VR-related app (follow Robertroy's post from November 4), restarting your phone, and trying again.

Oculus Forums - Gear VR not detecting phone

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Ok, cool. If you had the 2016, I was going to say to check the USB adaptor, and that it probably came loose.

It never occurred to me that the GearVR services weren't running, because Cardboard sucks compared to Oculus, so I never used those "cardboard gearvr switch" apps.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Got my S7 edge 3 days ago.

Initial impressions. I hate it, couldn't even hold it in my hand without touching the edge parts of the screen and ended up hitting things and selecting things i did not mean to, spotify playlists were a problem for sure every time i shifted my grip id unintentionally change songs as the song selection on playlist span the entire screen edge to edge... And some apps that only accept 2 or 3 touch inputs at once would not work as holding the phone by the sides already took 2-3 touch inputs so then i tried to use my finger on screen to use app and it was non responsive. And its so slippery holding it just from the back was asking for it to be dropped. I honestly couldnt figure out how to hold it without causing issues.

Then i put it in a case and everything is fine, can hold it by the case sides and it works fine. I dont understand why they make it so hard to use without a case though, seems like very poor design. Will likely never go edge again, i only did it for the bigger screen and battery. totally seems like a gimmick to me.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Must depend on how you grip the phone, accidentally activating the screen hasn't been an issue with me.
It is very, very slippery though. I added a leather, slickwraps skin to mine which has helped a lot. Smells nice too! :)
That said I don't actually "use" the edge screen for any purpose. It looks and feels nice but it's not terribly useful.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
On the third beta of N right now (with the Dec security patch). It's pretty damn stable and smooth.
I'm starting to really like the notification shade.
Samsung cloud storage is really cheap, I might actually use it if I can face the lock in.
Samsung pass looks like it could be more than just a web password manager if it gets some traction.
Samsung browser is great. Ad blocker support, it's fast, and open tab in background is back!

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
After using my S7 Edge for two days, I've forgotten my S5 that I was sure would be my last smart phone. Yes, it needs to be cased ASAP, slick as it is. The fact is, you are either an iPhone user or not. If you are, no other phone will do. My brother (Apple to the core) was over yesterday, and the phone sat on the desk between us as we talked. He couldn't even bring himself to pick it up. I said nothing about it, just to see if after living in his walled garden for so long might evoke some curiosity, but nope. So, for me it's a great upgrade, and may well be my last phone. I switched providers in the process, so it's a bit like starting over. And, FWIW, Android is now a great OS.I just hope that the next iteration doesn't screw up the advances Marshmallow has brought. All in all, well done Samsung.

Update: My Edge is in a Caseology Wavelength case now, and feels much safer in hand now, without much thickness added. Nice, having a phone with enough storage that with the OS and all the apps I'll likely ever need, I still have 60% of it left.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Read online that we would be receiving the nougat update "soon" I've been checking for the past 3 days and still nothing. What's a guy have to do to get nougat loaded on the phone? I have a stock verizon S7 EDGE.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Read online that we would be receiving the nougat update "soon" I've been checking for the past 3 days and still nothing. What's a guy have to do to get nougat loaded on the phone? I have a stock verizon S7 EDGE.
Verizon is usually really slow with their updates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
I expect 4 to 6 months delay now that Samsung has officially released Nougat for my local carrier to update.

Good thing for Root...

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
It's been out since... August? Already been waiting half a year...
That the Google-stock version. We're talking about the one the matters, the Samsung build. And since there isn't going to be a 7.0 build for the US "U" firmware, the carrier firmwares are going to come out first. Probably by the end of the month.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
2753c75a52b31fa399b737af35afb704.jpg

Had it for awhile!