Full Pell Grant - Finally a reward for being poor!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
Originally posted by: D22
I've decided that all these $10 an hour and under jobs are insulting and degrading; the immigrants can have those - I am tired of fighting them for the chump change. If only I hadn't been removed from school by force when I was 11 I would have realized you really can be poor and get through college and wouldn't have wasted years and years of my life on this garbage...

Yeah, screw working for it and just have the gov't pay for it. At least look like you're making an effort :disgust:

It sounds like he's saying that he's tired of working those jobs, and so is going to college. Those jobs may still be considered though in the meantime, to help pay for college expenses.
Heck, I'm working a $7/hr work study job. Not a whole lot, but it's at least a little something to pay for groceries, and it just helps ensure that the school year is slightly less of a financial loss.

Originally posted by: ngvepforever2
<--- from an immigrant in college

So you waited until you were 23 to decide that pursuing an education is worth it. Even more, you had to get a full ride paid from us (the people who contribute right now to society). I started college as soon as I graduated hs. I have been working since my freshman year to pay for ALL my expenses (tuition, food, gas, insurance). I am 21 and this is my last year in school (CS major). You didn't need all the help that you are getting, if I can do it anyone can do it too. You are young and I am assuming you are a healthy person. You can, very well, pay for your own education (you don't even need to mooch off your parents). It's really sad that you were removed from school by force, but we all have problems and in the end, we have to get over them and move on. You will always have to sacrifize something you want but that's how you also get to grow up.
There are kids who need those grants more than you do.

Regards

ng
And some of us don't have the slightest clue where we want to go in life. I went to a community college right out of high school for something I didn't like. 2 years went by, thousands of dollars went away, and I didn't have anything useful. I failed my CCNA by one question, and didn't care to try again. I got a full time job for close to 3 years, and now I'm back in college. I switched majors after the first semester, now doing mechanical engineering technology, and I'm still not entirely sure if I care for this one.
But after 2.5yrs at Walmart, I figure that if I am going to have to work at a job I don't like, I might as well get a job doing something I can do, but still don't like, that at least pays well.

Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: chrisms
He is not lazy for choosing not to do something just for the sake of doing it. If he can get a pell grant and stay with his parents then good for him.. better than flipping burgers.

The goal will be to make sure I know all the maximum amounts of money I can make to manipulate the aid and tax systems to the most advantageous ways possible.

Thats being lazy. Karma will catch up to the OP.
My parents went to seminars about how to get financial aid. At these seminars, they also addressed ways that families with 6-digit incomes could get aid. If you're getting over $100K a year, you should not need any financial aid. With that much you could send two kids through college and still live comfortably.
Want to talk about being lazy, and karma? Complain to the very wealthy people who still go to the government for aid, and then complain about why their taxes are so high.

thesurge

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2004
Originally posted by: D22
I found out yesterday I am getting the full pell grant w/ book money and am also applying for the max subsidized student loan. I am going to attempt to work as little as possible or not at all for the next 2 years until I can become a dental hygienist. I've decided that all these $10 an hour and under jobs are insulting and degrading; the immigrants can have those - I am tired of fighting them for the chump change. If only I hadn't been removed from school by force when I was 11 I would have realized you really can be poor and get through college and wouldn't have wasted years and years of my life on this garbage...

quoted for stupidity.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You're a male and going into dental hygiene? You're a brave man. :p You're probably the only male in your class.

$30/hour is pretty standard for new grads in the Atlanta area. Although you being a male I don't know. Maybe less?

My sister is a hygienist and have two relatives who are dentists with multiple offices so I'm quite familiar regarding dental pay in the Atlanta market.

D22

Nov 13, 2004
I actually double checked with the adviser about possible sexism, with me being a male going into dental hygiene, and she assured me that would not be the case. The last class was over 90% female, some are as bad as 39 to 1 females. But hey, 39 females + me in class for over a year? Sounds like fun! lol.

I was also told that current graduation of dentists is around 50/50 male/female, so maybe some females would not mind having a male in the practice. I can provide protection with my dental knives lol.

And to everyone who DOES think I am out to milk people or the system, etc etc, I only put it so bluntly because that is what America is all about:

Businesses cheat on taxes
Rich people love their tax shelters
Poor people love their welfare
Rich people falsify their children's addresses, finances, etc. (think relatives) so they can get the Pell.

At least my parents are legitimately GUTTER poor (bankruptcy is why I can probably squeeze them for a few bills btw), loaded with issues, my sister is in a mental institution, I was taken out of school in 7th grade by my crackpot mom, etc. So yea, I want my damn government AID! lol :)